gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 08:48:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today  (Read 93087 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »

Exciting news. Fingers crossed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 09:24:01 AM »

recall that Mike said he was not allowed to be alone with Brian to write. Why in hell would he want to submit to that sort of control. I am sad, but I do not blame Mike, whose heart has been open. Sad sad sad. I am "BB only," please.  But I'll get it to hear the Al and Dave parts if Jeff does not quadruple track them out of existence.
Mike's statements of "I can't write with Brian" are really a red-herring in this situation, Mike just wanted to go back to M&B after the C50 mega-tour presented problems for him. (IMO)

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 09:26:10 AM »

Woohoo!!  Awesome, awesome news!

By the way, for the record, I recognize that it is likely that Mike is mostly to blame for the BB record not happening, and I certainly don't blame Brian for carrying on and am glad that people are excited, but for some of us, it's just another depressing reminder that the 50th anniversary was a one and done deal.
Without searching and reading through a million posts with opinion/bashing/rumors -- what happened with the BB record not happening?

I'm just being Donnie Downer right now - I'll keep crossing my fingers and hope it still happens - maybe next year. I think it's cool that Al and David are on Brian's new record, but it's just not the news I most wanted to hear. Again, wah.
I hear ya.  Going to the store last summer to buy a NEW BEACH BOY RECORD!!! that had BRIAN WILSON!!! on it... actually gave me "pause," shall we say, as I reached for it on the shelf.

I remember trying to process what was going on.  Staring at the CD in the shrink wrap.  Making sure I "fully understood" what I was doing!   Cheesy

That was simply a big f-cking deal in my musical life.  It didn't happen everyday -- and wasn't sure if it would again.  The SMiLE Sessions, was an equally perplexing and surreal moment.  Unable to process with my tiny brain the full breadth of the reality I was seemingly sleep-walking through.

BW solo albums are really cool, though.  But I think were just used to them?

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »

Woohoo!!  Awesome, awesome news!

By the way, for the record, I recognize that it is likely that Mike is mostly to blame for the BB record not happening, and I certainly don't blame Brian for carrying on and am glad that people are excited, but for some of us, it's just another depressing reminder that the 50th anniversary was a one and done deal.
Without searching and reading through a million posts with opinion/bashing/rumors -- what happened with the BB record not happening?

I'm just being Donnie Downer right now - I'll keep crossing my fingers and hope it still happens - maybe next year. I think it's cool that Al and David are on Brian's new record, but it's just not the news I most wanted to hear. Again, wah.
I hear ya.  Going to the store last summer to buy a NEW BEACH BOY RECORD!!! that had BRIAN WILSON!!! on it... actually gave me "pause," shall we say, as I reached for it on the shelf.

I remember trying to process what was going on.  Staring at the CD in the shrink wrap.  Making sure I "fully understood" what I was doing!   Cheesy

That was simply a big f-cking deal in my musical life.  It didn't happen everyday -- and wasn't sure if it would again.  The SMiLE Sessions, was an equally perplexing and surreal moment.  Unable to process with my tiny brain the full breadth of the reality I was seemingly sleep-walking through.

BW solo albums are really cool, though.  But I think were just used to them?

We're used to getting BW albums on a pretty frequent basis for 25 years now. I find that breathtaking...  Shocked
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:38:44 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
mathen_
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »

Interesting that there's no indication of who, if anybody, Brian's working with on the production side of things. Yeah, Don Was is mentioned, but from the reference it seems he's more a guest than a production presence.

So I assume that means no Joe Thomas. What does that say about our chances of seeing the remainder of "Life's Suite" in the near future? Are we going to have wait until the next Beach Boys reunion?

The original press release at brianwilson.com/news says "Installed at Ocean Way, Wilson and his hand-picked band of friends have taken a fluid, woodshedding approach to the recording process, letting collaborative creativity drive the sessions.  Wilson is working with longtime collaborator Joe Thomas to hone the arrangements, often assembling pieces from various takes.  Details about the album and its release will be shared soon."

http://www.brianwilson.com/news/ just read the title
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 10:31:44 AM »

Maybe we'll hear a few new songs on Brian, Al, and David's summer tour dates?

Capitol is glad to have Brian back but I'm sure they wanted a new Beach Boy's album. Maybe next year.

Go Brian, go Brian, go Brian go!
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2013, 10:32:37 AM »

I'd REALLY be happy if Brian let Al sing lead on  2 or 3 tracks. Now THAT would be the next best thing to a new Beach Boys album. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing this to see if he can top what he did for TWGMTR. I get the feeling he's trying.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 10:35:17 AM »

We're used to getting BW albums on a pretty frequent basis for 25 years now. I find that breathtaking...  Shocked

When you step back and think about the whole story -- it's pretty amazing to think we're still getting new BW solo albums in 2013.  And thank God for that!  I remember when Imagination came out in 1998 -- thinking it would certainly be his last.  Or when '88 came out -- that would be his only!

Transcendental Meditation

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2013, 10:37:27 AM »

Can't believe no one's mentioned this yet--It looks like we're finally getting that "rock 'n roll" album we've been hearing about for so many years!

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »

Can't believe no one's mentioned this yet--It looks like we're finally getting that "rock 'n roll" album we've been hearing about for so many years!
That's what I was thinking too!  Jeff Beck?  Sounds like some guitar solos!!   Rock!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:21:12 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »

Capitol is glad to have Brian back but I'm sure they wanted a new Beach Boy's album.

I think they offered them that last year. But when they parted Capitol must've known that there wasn't another BBs album gonna happen.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 10:42:13 AM »

That's what I was thinking too!  Jeck Beck?  Sounds like some guitar solos!!   Rock!

Who listens to Brian Wilson albums for the guitar solos?
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 10:42:56 AM »

I like this quote...

“I was really moved by the fans’ excitement about The Beach Boys’ album and tour last year,” says Wilson.  “It charged me up and my head was full of music - I just couldn’t wait to get back into the studio to let it out.”

I know he says that kind of stuff a lot... but it just feels sincere to me.

Listening
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:44:37 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 10:43:55 AM »

That's about to change, my friend  Wink

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:47:16 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2013, 10:48:09 AM »

Great news.

So Mike working in the same studio...that's for something else?...or is it a surprise appearance on Brian's solo album?
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 10:53:02 AM »

Great news.

So Mike working in the same studio...that's for something else?...or is it a surprise appearance on Brian's solo album?

Hi Justin,

I think the general consensus here has been that it's most likely Mike working on an archival, MIC track. Particularly with Alan Boyd in that photo as well. Smiley
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 10:53:17 AM »

I'd REALLY be happy if Brian let Al sing lead on  2 or 3 tracks. Now THAT would be the next best thing to a new Beach Boys album. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing this to see if he can top what he did for TWGMTR. I get the feeling he's trying.

Yes, I'd love to have a couple of Al leads and have Al in the background vocals on ALL tracks.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 10:53:55 AM »

Great news.

Hi Justin,

I think the general consensus here has been that it's most likely Mike working on an archival, MIC track. Particularly with Alan Boyd in that photo as well. Smiley

Okeydokes---thanks Dave!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 10:56:33 AM »

I hope it is great and does great. I'm not a particular fan of any of their solo work so far.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:58:20 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Paulos
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2013, 10:57:20 AM »

Question, I think it was mentioned that the remainder of the 'My Life' suite wasn't going to be on MiC - possibility of it being on Brian's new album instead?
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2013, 11:04:51 AM »

"The new album is being described as a fluid, woodshedding approach to the recording process, letting collaborative creativity drive the sessions."

This quote makes me think it's the Rock n roll album that Brian has been hinting at, does that means these came out of jam sessions? if so then maybe the songs from 98 won't be on here unless they are re-recorded the same with the "Life Suite" but maybe it's a little of both part jam sessions part 98/suite..
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2013, 11:26:18 AM »

That's about to change, my friend  Wink

Imagine Jeff Beck and Dave Marks dueling.  Oh man.

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2013, 11:32:01 AM »

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I'm always going to get pumped about brand new Brian Wilson songs, and I'm really interested to see what this turns out like with super talented Jeff Beck. The caution comes in with Joe Thomas and what this thing might sound like. I'm hoping for the best, because this could nd great, but the realist in me is tempering my expectations. We might finally be getting Pleasure Island, or we could be getting Imagination with better guitar solos.

I share your cautious optimism (or optimistic caution), for the same reason.  I assume Joe Thomas is more or less ghost-producing this, as he did TWGMTR.  Dare I hope he won't sterilize and autotune the life out of this?  My vote would have been for Scott Bennett as Brian's production collaborator, but this is where we are, so I'll hope for the best.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2013, 11:38:09 AM »

We're all just idly speculating here since that press release was missing any details on the album's contents, but I would be somewhat surprised if any more of the My Life Suite EVER surfaces. I have a hunch that it was raided for material for TWGMTR because Joe and Brian realize that the rest of it just isn't very good and isn't worth recording/releasing. Why else would you release a portion of a larger work? It's all part of the editing and creative process. You work on something, step back and look at what you've done, and ultimately a lot of stuff is left on the cutting room floor. I don't look at this My Life Suite as the next great white whale for Beach Boys fans to obsess over- merely an idea and some work done 15 years ago  for a project that didn't really pan out.

This new album does sound like  the rock album that BW has been talking about for quite a long time now. What exactly a Brain Wilson rock album even is and what it will sound like  does give me pause. I'm hoping it's a retro approach. I'm thinking it could be kind a Chuck Berry and Rockabilly kind of thing which Jeff Beck would be good for. Some nice short punchy songs would be welcome.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:39:00 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
DMBeard_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2013, 11:38:41 AM »

I have all along said, "There will be a studio album."  Nothing more, nothing less.

In Music,
David
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx