gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:33:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today  (Read 92861 times)
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 05, 2013, 12:34:07 PM »

J.Thomas has done nothing but prove he is incapable of handling the task fo being a producer imo.

^this.  Can't Brian or Al or someone realize that Joe Thomas's production style has the aesthetic appeal of a turd?

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #501 on: September 05, 2013, 02:16:21 PM »

I don't understand how a fan can dismiss TWGMTR (the whole thing) as "unlistenable."

Maybe I'm not a proper fan then. Or maybe I'm just a different sort of fan.

I'm the sort of fan who does understand how people hate Love You, and Smiley Smile, even though they're my favourite BB albums.

I'm the sort of fan who does understand that for others, the autotune and MOR production is less of an issue.

But you're the sort of fan I don't understand. The one for whom empathy seems to be a real problem.

(Oh, and to Cyncie, sorry. Smiley )

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: September 05, 2013, 02:55:50 PM »

Just calm down everybody. I'm sure the harsh feelings come just from some sort of misunderstanding. I don't think anybody really attacked or condescended someone else in this thread.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 05, 2013, 03:17:57 PM »

But you're the sort of fan I don't understand. The one for whom empathy seems to be a real problem.

Where did that come from?  All I said was that I find it hard to understand how a fan of the Beach Boys can dismiss their latest album in its entirety - one that is very highly regarded by many people.  This is indicative of some sort of character flaw on my part?  It just doesn't make sense to me.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 05, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »

But I don't think anyone was saying the stuff you mention. That's why I disregarded it.

No one's accused Brian of coasting. You imagined that's what people were saying because it suited the point you wanted to make.

Classic strawman.

No, instead people were saying that the existence of other credited people involved in the project was cheapening Brian's legacy, because obviously their presence means that Brian wasn't really putting his back into producing.

Which is close enough to his point.

Regards,
JOn Blum
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: September 05, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »

Alright folks...let's play nicely. I can see both sides...I personally LOVED TWGMTR, but the live cd can go chase itself for all I care. I for one am happy enough with the fact Brian is still making music!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 05, 2013, 09:56:24 PM »

From what I can tell with Joe Thomas, it seems like while he's not personally involved with the mixing of the songs, Brian still calls the shots.  I know it might be hard for some people to admit but it's very possible that Brian is just as responsible for the production decisions as Thomas is for better or worse.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 05, 2013, 10:00:42 PM »

Alright folks...let's play nicely. I can see both sides...I personally LOVED TWGMTR, but the live cd can go chase itself for all I care. I for one am happy enough with the fact Brian is still making music!

Amen! That we still have Brian, and that he's healthy and happy and that he put out "From There To Back Again" last year is more than enough for me. He is still awesome, and although certain things aren't done the way I would do it, it's ok with me.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 05, 2013, 10:37:32 PM »

I'm a big Jeff Beck fan too, so I'm hugely stoked for this album.  I only wish I was in a better position to make it out to one of the shows on the tour.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #509 on: September 06, 2013, 12:15:14 AM »

But I don't think anyone was saying the stuff you mention. That's why I disregarded it.

No one's accused Brian of coasting. You imagined that's what people were saying because it suited the point you wanted to make.

Classic strawman.

No, instead people were saying that the existence of other credited people involved in the project was cheapening Brian's legacy, because obviously their presence means that Brian wasn't really putting his back into producing.

Which is close enough to his point.

Regards,
JOn Blum

Where did anyone say that?

Brian has always collabarted and had people to write with / bounce ideas off.

It's Joe Thomas's involvement which has got people's back up. 'Cos his production style is repugnant. Slathering Brian's voice in autotune is, in my opinion, like urinating on the Mona Lisa. That's how strongly I feel about it

Where did that come from?  All I said was that I find it hard to understand how a fan of the Beach Boys can dismiss their latest album in its entirety - one that is very highly regarded by many people.  This is indicative of some sort of character flaw on my part?  It just doesn't make sense to me.

If you can't see how that's offensive then you do have a character flaw.

Well I can't stand it. It sounds awful, I can't listen to it. I don't care how highly regarded it is. No one question's Mike Eder's fandom when he airs his hatred for Love You in pretty much every thread he posts in, and that's a highly regarded album.

I'm sure there's stuff I love which leaves you cold. I wouldn't question your loyalty to the band, so drop it, OK?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 12:29:31 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: September 06, 2013, 12:32:46 AM »

Not trying to stir the pot, but I took ...'I find it hard to understand how a fan of the Beach Boys can dismiss their latest album in its entirety' to be more along the lines of liking it so much that not understanding how a fellow fan wouldn't like it, which is completely different from 'if you don't like it, you can't call yourself a fan'. I didn't take it as questioning your loyalty.  Just like some are shocked when I say 'Don't Hurt My Little Sister' is one of my least favorite BB songs. Quite a few people like it. For me, the melody doesn't quite gel. Not that fond of 'In the Back Of My Mind' that much either (although it sounds MUCH better single-tracked and in stereo IMHO).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #511 on: September 06, 2013, 12:51:06 AM »

I'm sure that is how he meant it Billy. It's still offensive. Imagine if I said the opposite

"I just don't get how any Beach Boys fan could like a single track on this awful album"

Offensive, yes? It's dismissive, it questions people's tastes. It tries to dictate what being a Beach Boys fan is. That's how I took his remark.

And the insinuation that just because lots of people like it, it automatically warrants respect, is just ludicrous.

Nicko1234
« Reply #512 on: September 06, 2013, 01:22:53 AM »

I think the point that poster was making was that using the 'produced by Brian Wilson' credit when he isn't the sole producer cheapens things because it is inaccurate and misleading.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 06, 2013, 01:26:21 AM »

I'm sure that is how he meant it Billy. It's still offensive. Imagine if I said the opposite
"I just don't get how any Beach Boys fan could like a single track on this awful album"
Offensive, yes? It's dismissive, it questions people's tastes. It tries to dictate what being a Beach Boys fan is. That's how I took his remark.
And the insinuation that just because lots of people like it, it automatically warrants respect, is just ludicrous.

I still don't understand your mean-spirited responses.  All I said was that I don't understand how somebody who is a fan of the Beach Boys (ostensibly) could dismiss such a well-regarded album from their catalog in its entirety.  That makes no sense to me.  I'm not judging you.  Everybody has a right to their opinions.

That so many people like TWGMTR seems to suggest that it's pretty good.  A lot of people hate "Summer In Paradise."  Now that's an album I can understand dismissing in its entirety.  I don't think I'm really going out on a limb here.

I'd appreciate you tempering your insults Stephen.  I mean no disrespect.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #514 on: September 06, 2013, 01:32:18 AM »

My replies seem mean spirited to you because I find your remark offensive.

But you cannot understand why your remark is offensive, and neither of us is going to back down.

This is going to go round in circles, isn't it LOL

OK, Jeffcdo, I'll accept you meant no offense. In future I'd consider rephrasing that sort of remark though, it's very open to interpretation.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 06, 2013, 01:35:45 AM »

I can empathise with the frustrations about use of autotune etc. but if I'm absolutely honest I have to admit there was a certain sheen and gloss to TWGMTR that made it sound better through headphones than any of Brian's recent albums, to my ears anyway. It all just sounded tighter to me.

It aso strikes me that, for whatever reason, Brian feels comfortable enough with Thomas to write some of his best material in years, or maybe he was just rising to the challenge of working with The Beach Boys again.

Ultimately whatever gets Brian writing and in the studio once more is alright by me, because I hope that beneath all the autotune and amongst the inevitable adult contemporary dross there will be a few new BW gems.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 06, 2013, 01:49:49 AM »

I think the point that poster was making was that using the 'produced by Brian Wilson' credit when he isn't the sole producer cheapens things because it is inaccurate and misleading.

Right, it's inaccurate. The way I see it, "Produced by Brian Wilson" actually means something. It's a very powerful tag that stands for a certain purity, an artistic vision that is entirely his. I'm perfectly fine with a more collaborative approach in terms of production and I don't even mind Joe Thomas' presence despite the awful autotune. But don't call it "Produced (solely) by BW" then, as that tag should be reserved for stuff like Today, Pet Sounds, Love You, you name it. (Even though, funnily enough, the latter may be the first instance of a "Produced by BW" record being not that one person's vision only, hence Carl's credit as "mixdown producer"...)
Nicko1234
« Reply #517 on: September 06, 2013, 02:22:47 AM »

Didn't Al also describe Paul Mertens as being 'the producer'?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: September 06, 2013, 05:56:48 AM »

Listened to TWGMTR (my custom version) in the car today. It was really fun to listen! The Autotune took some getting used to last year, but now I hardly notice it.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 06, 2013, 06:09:21 AM »

FAcebook 30 mins ago:
Blondie Chaplin
Blondie Chaplin is pleased to officially announce that he has been invited by Brian Wilson to guest on several dates on Brian's new tour including opening night in Florida, and dates in New York City, Montclair NJ, Las Vegas, LA & Oakland.

“We live in divisive times.”
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 06, 2013, 06:32:37 AM »

Right, it's inaccurate. The way I see it, "Produced by Brian Wilson" actually means something. It's a very powerful tag that stands for a certain purity, an artistic vision that is entirely his. I'm perfectly fine with a more collaborative approach in terms of production and I don't even mind Joe Thomas' presence despite the awful autotune. But don't call it "Produced (solely) by BW" then, as that tag should be reserved for stuff like Today, Pet Sounds, Love You, you name it. (Even though, funnily enough, the latter may be the first instance of a "Produced by BW" record being not that one person's vision only, hence Carl's credit as "mixdown producer"...)

If you know anything about how Brian produced throughout his career, you should know that it's not that simple. Brian himself has said that Chuck Britz was like his co-producer in the 60s. And the notion of what a record producer was and did was vastly different in 1965 as compared with today. It was far less technical. I think that if we're honest, Brian seldom had a singular vision in the studio -- he always depended on the feedback and suggestions of others to make his records pop.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 06, 2013, 06:34:23 AM »

FAcebook 30 mins ago:
Blondie Chaplin
Blondie Chaplin is pleased to officially announce that he has been invited by Brian Wilson to guest on several dates on Brian's new tour including opening night in Florida, and dates in New York City, Montclair NJ, Las Vegas, LA & Oakland.

Guess Brian's not going to be singing SOS then ... Cheesy
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 06, 2013, 06:41:20 AM »

But what about the hand gestures?? Will we still have them??

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 06, 2013, 06:42:39 AM »

FAcebook 30 mins ago:
Blondie Chaplin

This is brilliant.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 06, 2013, 06:43:35 AM »

I'll miss Brian's growl on "DAMN the thunder..."  but it's very cool that BC will be guesting on these dates. Hope someone records the shows with Blondie....those shows will have twice the number of Beach Boys on stage than an actual show by the Beach Boys. Life is odd.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx