gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680779 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 05:25:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today  (Read 92929 times)
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: June 21, 2013, 12:06:04 PM »

Some more info on the album:
http://www.brianwilson.com/news/

VERY interesting stuff here.
Totally off-topic, but did you see the big night David had last night in Atlanta, Wrightfan (I'm also the worlds biggest David Wright fan!)?   Hello
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 21, 2013, 02:01:22 PM »

Totally off-topic, but did you see the big night David had last night in Atlanta, Wrightfan (I'm also the worlds biggest David Wright fan!)?   Hello

Heard about it. He may not be the best in the world but I'm glad the Mets resigned him. I think he's going to the hall.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 21, 2013, 02:41:14 PM »

Heard about it. He may not be the best in the world but I'm glad the Mets resigned him. I think he's going to the hall.
Best Met I've ever seen (if he keeps it up, he just may give Seaver a run for his $, one day).  And half-way to 3,000, which is a stamped, golden ticket to Cooperstown, itself.  (Okay folks, no more off-topic gushing, I promise! - Go Brian!)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 21, 2013, 03:00:47 PM »

Don't Jinx it!!

We won 4 out of 6, kicked heiney in Atlanta of all places, have a promising young pitching staff, now we just need to get some bats behind Murf and Wright!
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 21, 2013, 03:02:38 PM »

Don't Jinx it!!

We won 4 out of 6, kicked heiney in Atlanta of all places, have a promising young pitching staff, now we just need to get some bats behind Murf and Wright!
Awesome.  Always nice to meet another one of us.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 23, 2013, 10:41:35 AM »

I'm gonna just say it Smiley  The reason the last Beach Boys album sounded so fucking great was because of Brian, like it usually is.  Yeah I'd love to hear all the boys on all the songs but it's just not going to happen... Personally I see a whole bunch of greatness out of Brian's last 3 projects (Gershwin, Disney, That's why god made the Radio) so I expect nothing short of great on this next album.

The idea of it possibly being 3 albums full of music is awesome too.  Brian Wilson and Jeff Beck instrumental album?  Thank you, may I have another?

Brian Wilson suite-style album recorded like SMiLE ?  Thank you, may I have another?

Brian Wilson pop album?  Thank you, may I have another!

I don't see much to not like here.  I guess I could 'not like' that Brian's 71 now but that's God's fault not Brian's. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 23, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »

You're probably never gonna get Brian consistantly singing well in a live show-In the many times I've seen him live, he'll do very well in one song and the next one will be off kilter. Gotta remember, the man is scared to death of performing in front of an audience and most likely will always be that way. I've also been lucky enough to have witnessed quite a few soundchecks-he's lighthearted, tells jokes and actually sings very well. Wonder how much of that has been recorded.

The other thing that's been suggested at times is his actual hearing. I've often wondered if he would benefit from an in-ear monitor on stage, though I know many musicians who actually hate using those buggers.

I'd also like to say, that Brian didn't always sing perfectly in concert back in the early years either.  He had some absolutely jaw-droppingly great lead vocal takes, but live in concert he's off sometimes, even in the early 60's.... especially in the 70's and 80's, and then sounded a little better in the 90's up till today.  He's always been hit and miss live, and if he had hearing issues in his 20's on stage I'm sure it's much worse in his 60's and 70's.  He's often so far off key it's obvious he can't hear the rest of the band.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 04, 2013, 04:29:02 PM »

Some new news to report here ... first, a picture of Jeff recording on the BW record.

Also, some specifics (taken from http://www.ainian.com/new13.html#216)

Also, this just in...we've learned Jeff plays on 5 tracks on the new Brian Wilson LP. Capital records is backing the project. Executive producer Joe Thomas tells this web page exclusively “Jeff Beck will be soloing all over his and Brian’s tracks in a once in a lifetime performance.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 04, 2013, 05:03:01 PM »

What a tragedy, Joe Thomas is involved

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
zane7570
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 04, 2013, 05:11:50 PM »

Maybe my opinion is both meaningless and unpopular, but if including Joe Thomas helps get Brian Wilson into a recording studio then I'm all for it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 04, 2013, 05:22:40 PM »

What a tragedy, Joe Thomas is involved.

That was announced back in June.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 04, 2013, 06:11:40 PM »

I'm gonna just say it Smiley  The reason the last Beach Boys album sounded so fucking great was because of Brian, like it usually is.  Yeah I'd love to hear all the boys on all the songs but it's just not going to happen... Personally I see a whole bunch of greatness out of Brian's last 3 projects (Gershwin, Disney, That's why god made the Radio) so I expect nothing short of great on this next album.

The idea of it possibly being 3 albums full of music is awesome too.  Brian Wilson and Jeff Beck instrumental album?  Thank you, may I have another?

Brian Wilson suite-style album recorded like SMiLE ?  Thank you, may I have another?

Brian Wilson pop album?  Thank you, may I have another!

I don't see much to not like here.  I guess I could 'not like' that Brian's 71 now but that's God's fault not Brian's.  

damn God...... he's got a lot to answer for...... why Denny and Carl?.....  so soon, so young.....  

When he takes Brian..... i'll be one pissed off mutherF^cker!!

the world wont hear the end of it from me!!  Evil

RickB
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 04, 2013, 07:33:29 PM »

have any of you all actually pondered life without a Brian Wilson??..

I know about good thoughts and music and good times and great things he has done to people

BUT!!!!!

life without Brian F^cking Douglas F^cking Wilson?HuhHuh

Seriously???

TTTThhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnkkkkkkkkkkkk aaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbboooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttttt iiiiiiiiiitttttttttt?Huh??

is life worth living?

'f***' the 'we still have his music' crap........

he means more to me than That.

Rb
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 04, 2013, 07:37:15 PM »

ban Me!!!!

Shocked

RickB

p.s.   actually!  isn't that kind of a cool thing to be proud of these days?.... banned from 'smiley smile'?   lol....

i'm bugged at my ol' man....

RickB
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 04, 2013, 08:13:03 PM »

That doesn't mean it's not still a tragedy.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: September 04, 2013, 08:35:43 PM »

That doesn't mean it's not still a tragedy.

Not a classical one, at least.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 04, 2013, 10:32:08 PM »

I need more info!! I NEEEEEEEED! Razz

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 04, 2013, 11:08:35 PM »

I'm not gonna lie, this is probably the most excited I've been for a Brian solo album since his solo version of SMiLE. It's a combination of how great That's Why God Made The Radio is, and the fact that the decks have been cleared as far as older material goes with the releases of The SMiLE Sessions and Made In California. While there are a few things in the vault I'd like to hear, I'm mostly hopeful Brian can come up with more material just as good as "From There To Back Again" and "Summer's Gone" and the like. I'm no longer thinking, yeah this is cool, but it'd be cooler to hear whatever "Where Is She?" is or that demo of "California Feelin'." Like at this point, I'd rather hear new Brian Wilson material these days than vault stuff. Which is something you wouldn't have heard me say a few years ago. But now I really do feel like he really could pull out another great album. He's on a roll lately.

And despite what people say about Joe Thomas, I think vocally he makes Brian sound really good. Are his instrumental tracks a little too adult contemporary? Absolutely. But I'm also excited to hear how great Brian and Al will sound on this new one.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 05, 2013, 03:05:20 AM »

I'm not too worried about JT's involvement either.  For me, the production style of TWGMTR is tolerable for the most part and not too close that of something like Imagination.

He does a decent job on Brian vocally, but I'd argue the vocals on the Gershwin and Disney records are a sizeable amount better than those of TWGMTR.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 05, 2013, 03:11:54 AM »

I'm keeping my expectations low. I can't see BW knocking out a tour de force album any time soon (no dispespect but I just don't think grand, consistent artistic album statements are his thing these days, if they ever were outside of Pet Sounds and Smile). I do hope for a few more gem tracks in the From Here To Back Again vein though, or a complete Life Suite if it really does exist. That would be amazing.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 05, 2013, 03:27:34 AM »

I'm keeping my expectations low. I can't see BW knocking out a tour de force album any time soon (no dispespect but I just don't think grand, consistent artistic album statements are his thing these days, if they ever were outside of Pet Sounds and Smile). I do hope for a few more gem tracks in the From Here To Back Again vein though, or a complete Life Suite if it really does exist. That would be amazing.

This is something that hasn't been addressed too often. I really like the notion of his contributions to the group's early-70s records being his "postcards to the outside world" and with the exception of Love You it probably should have stayed that way, in a healthy manner anyway. He probably hasn't been in "Pet Sounds mode" for a very long time and that's alright. Less really is more sometimes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 05, 2013, 06:33:16 AM »

I'm not too worried about JT's involvement either.  For me, the production style of TWGMTR is tolerable for the most part and not too close that of something like Imagination.

He does a decent job on Brian vocally, but I'd argue the vocals on the Gershwin and Disney records are a sizeable amount better than those of TWGMTR.
While I don't mind Joe Thomas' involvement on the studio recordings, I sure hope they keep him away from anymore upcoming Live material. What he did to the Live 50 CD is a sin to God and my ears, musically and vocally.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #472 on: September 05, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »

And I was so happy thinking Don Was was producing.....

Computer Smash!

Wall Wall Wall Wall Wall Wall Wall Wall Wall

Sean O'Hagen: "As far as I can see, Joe Thomas hasn't got a clue about Brian Wilson or his legacy ... He kept referring to Brian's potential as an Adult Contemporary crossover artist. I sad, 'Don't you realise Brian Wilson is essentially a 20th-century avant-garde pop genius?' And he went, 'Avant-garde? Not the Brian Wilson I know'. I don't think Brian really wanted to work with him - but he had no choice, he was being pulled in that direction."
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 07:04:46 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 05, 2013, 07:15:43 AM »

Totally disagree. I much prefer Brian's TWGMTR vocals to the vocals on either of the two other albums.

Also, about Jeff Beck-- I'm no music guru (I like who/what I like and don't dig too deep behind the music), and this question may be blasphemous to some, but who is Jeff Beck and why the hell do I care if he plays on 5 tracks?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 05, 2013, 07:37:58 AM »

To be fair, the only title Joe has for this so far is executive producer. He's probably writing with Brian, too, but that's always been the least problematic part of their collaboration. There could be an outside producer ...

... But I doubt it.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx