gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:18:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today  (Read 92926 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #350 on: June 10, 2013, 01:43:30 AM »

You forgot to put the laughing emoticon in. People might think you really mean this LOL

No, I don't think Joe Thomas or Brian's management would allow Brian to release an album with the terrible GIOMH vocals now. Genuinely.

They wouldn't allow him to sound like an alien as someone on the board commented he did back then.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 10, 2013, 01:50:07 AM »

I would be surprised if this album wasn't considerably better than GIOMH. There is obviously a similarity in the way that guests are being used but they are sensible choices this time when compared with the likes of Robbie Williams who were invited for GIOMH. Plus I cannot imagine Joe Thomas allowing Brian to contribute the terrible vocals he did for that earlier album.

Robbie Williams was invited to guest on GIOMH?

Shocked =>  LOL =>  Lips Sealed
Nicko1234
« Reply #352 on: June 10, 2013, 01:58:27 AM »

Robbie Williams was invited to guest on GIOMH?

Shocked =>  LOL =>  Lips Sealed

Yep.

He turned it down stating, 'He probably doesn't even know who I am'. Wise words.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #353 on: June 10, 2013, 03:12:51 AM »

They wouldn't allow him to sound like an alien

As opposed to a robot
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 10, 2013, 04:05:40 AM »

My inexpert take on Brian's back and health last year.

It certainly looks like he was struggling with pain in the early C50 shows. Then we got word that he did indeed have a back problem, not uncommon for someone of his age and height. We heard that he received treatment for this. As far as I can tell from videos his back gradually got better.

By the time I saw him in the flesh at Wembley he seemed fine. Brian almost always shuffles off stage. It's just his way.

And if Brian Douglas Wilson was not enjoying himself on stage that night at Wembley then give the man a fucking Oscar. After the show he may well suffer from lows, or want to quickly leave the spotlight and chill/zone out/rest whatever. That does not mean he is any more unwell than he was 10 years ago.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 10, 2013, 04:22:33 AM »

I got a few replies from my posts/rants last night  Grin But I best not reply to them since we're (rightfully) keeping this on topic regarding Brian's new solo album.

I did learn from the replies, I will say that  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 10, 2013, 06:42:16 AM »

And...Is it really like Brian Wilson to attack one of his band members in the form of press articles and releases? I don't buy for one second that he actually felt that way, wanted to do this. And, for what it's worth, despite reportedly having a good time on the tour (let's be honest, it's not like he really looked it most of the time - back troubles not withstanding), did he seriously want to keep touring after 75 dates?

Well, you're a smart man for thinking that!  Know why?  'Cause there was NOBODY on that C50 tour last year who was gladder it was over than Brian Wilson. When I saw him in June, he couldn't wait to sit down wherever he went because his back was killing him! People who were at the concerts were saying that as soon as he left the stage at intermission he would go right off stage and sit. And I saw it first hand! After the concerts he'd make a beline for the tour bus, sit in the front seat, and zonk out immediately. So by September, he was exhausted and good and ready for a long break. Not my opinion. Fact!! Media hype? Sure it was. Along with a little egging on and encouragement by Brian between doctor visits......

Now, how 'bout that Brian Wislon solo album coming up, eh?

I saw Brian get on the tour bus, wipe his face with a towel, lean back and zone out looking exhausted as well........however........that was in 2005 during the BWPS tour. Bad back or not, getting on the bus and away from everyone else is something he apparently just does.
Nicko1234
« Reply #357 on: June 10, 2013, 07:51:37 AM »

As opposed to a robot

I would say his vocals on Imagination and TWGMTR are 1000 times better than his vocals on GIOMH but each to their own.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 10, 2013, 08:25:32 AM »

As opposed to a robot

I would say his vocals on Imagination and TWGMTR are 1000 times better than his vocals on GIOMH but each to their own.

Totally agreed. His vocals on Imagination and TWGMTR are the best he's done since 1974.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 10, 2013, 08:31:18 AM »

As opposed to a robot
GIOMH - might have been named the more upbeat and snappy "How Could We Still Be Dancin'?" - and I like about half of what is on it.  And, don't care if it is a minority position.  I like Soul Searchin' with Carl's vocals, (anything with Carl's vocals!)  A Friend like you with Sir Paul, Fairy Tale, Don't Let Her Know She's an Angel, and the hilarious The Waltz. (I don't expect anyone under the age of 60 to get this song.) Brian and Van Dyke were in a rear-view mirror mode.

No artsy intellectual stuff, here, but seemed to be drawing on personal memories. (This ain't SMiLE saga time.) This is awkward 1950's high school teenage dance time, with boys on one side of the room, sweating, trying to get the courage to ask a girl to dance on the other side of the room, with their Vitalis hair tonic, or Brylcreem-slicked hair, and skinny ties. And, I like this little aspect of Van Dyke revealing a less studious, human side.  I bet they had a few laughs during the process.

If they are mining for material, this might be an unlikely place, especially to sell to Baby Boomers.  I remember little or no promotion, and think I stumbled upon it, at Borders or some bookstore location.  
oldsurferdude
« Reply #360 on: June 10, 2013, 09:33:29 AM »

As opposed to a robot

Totally agreed. His vocals on Imagination and TWGMTR are the best he's done since 1974.
Absolutely. He also sang well on most of Gershwin and even better on Disney. Just him singing well on an album changes the entire game.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 10, 2013, 12:14:12 PM »

"Anyway The Wind Blows" would be epic! I'd love to hear Brian or Al give it a shot. Fine, Foskett can pirouette vocally in the background.
Brian would know it since he bought "freakout" back in 1966, its the ultimate anti-love song.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 10, 2013, 12:38:25 PM »

Autotune is the reason Brian sings better on "Imagination" and TWGMTR. He's heavily processed. I'd rather hear a more natural sound. I don't care for either of those records, particularly Imagination, due to Joe Thomas's electronic wizardry.  I would be more interested in Brian's new album were it not for the involvement of Joe Thomas. I also can't believe Brian wants to work with a man who once sued his wife and said some terrible things about her in that lawsuit and also had his friends such as Steve Dahl spread some nasty stories about Melinda to the press and public. I predict Brian and Melinda will come to regret Joe Thomas II.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 10, 2013, 12:45:41 PM »

Even though I like Brian's vocals on the Gershwin album, he still sounds better on Imagination, and even more so on TWGMTR. If having his vocals processed is doing this, then I say more power to Joe. I rarely if ever listen to the solo albums because Brian doesn't sound all that great on any of them, except for the 3 mentioned above.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:46:36 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
oldsurferdude
« Reply #364 on: June 10, 2013, 12:50:44 PM »

Even though I like Brian's vocals on the Gershwin album, he still sounds better on Imagination, and even more so on TWGMTR. If having his vocals processed is doing this, then I say more power to Joe. I rarely if ever listen to the solo albums because Brian doesn't sound all that great on any of them, except for the 3 mentioned above.
Totally agree.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 10, 2013, 12:52:24 PM »

I guess I listen to too many blues singers. Nobody cares if their vocals are pristine or not. I approach Brian's music that way too. It's the feeling in the music. If the music feels honest, I love it. That's why people like me adore Beach Boys Love You. It's the feeling right there in the grooves. To hear Brian grind through Still I Dream of It, or Lowell George sing China White, or Richard Manuel sing Tears of Rage is pure, honest emotion, in my opinion.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Nicko1234
« Reply #366 on: June 10, 2013, 12:57:39 PM »

Autotune is the reason Brian sings better on "Imagination" and TWGMTR. He's heavily processed. I'd rather hear a more natural sound. I don't care for either of those records, particularly Imagination, due to Joe Thomas's electronic wizardry.  I would be more interested in Brian's new album were it not for the involvement of Joe Thomas. I also can't believe Brian wants to work with a man who once sued his wife and said some terrible things about her in that lawsuit and also had his friends such as Steve Dahl spread some nasty stories about Melinda to the press and public. I predict Brian and Melinda will come to regret Joe Thomas II.

Personally I would say that Joe Thomas's work with the music is much more of an issue than what he does with the vocals. Yes there is maybe some autotune going on but Brian also put in a hell of a lot more effort on those two albums than he with GIOMH. So my point earlier was basically that with any proper producer around Brian will not be able to get away with lacklustre vocals (not that I'm saying he necessarily will be as disinterested as he was with GIOMH).

I would take the following over any of the vocals on GIOMH anyway:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m47tjDmX2jc

As for the lawsuits between Joe Thomas and Melinda. If Melinda has no problem with that (and there is no way Brian is doing anything without her say so) then I'm not sure why it would really concern anyone else.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:59:30 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 10, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »

Just finished reading the whole thread, I haven't been on the forum for quite a while but it's always nice to know this forum is still the same as always! Grin

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 10, 2013, 03:35:09 PM »

Whilst I enjoy Brian's vocals on TWGMTR and to a lesser extent Imagination, I think he sounds 'better' on Gershwin and Disney.

And there was seemingly little JT could do with the rather shoddy first couple of lines of Isn't It Time.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 10, 2013, 03:36:18 PM »

Just finished reading the whole thread

....sorry to hear that.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 10, 2013, 03:38:27 PM »

Something I just thought of... Regardless of how cool Dennis, Carl and Mike are or where, Brian was kind of stuck with them for the simple reason that they were his family. And Bruce, Ricky and Blondie were professionals who were considered right for the job at the time. Al and David were the only ones who became Beach Boys on the basis of friendship. So in that way, it's pretty cool that they are the guys that Brian ends up working with now, 52 years down the road.

"Stuck with them"?  What the hell are you talking about, "stuck with them"?  Good grief. You're aware, I presume, or perhaps not, that these fellows you say Brian was "stuck with" were integral parts, many of us would say indispensable parts, of the most successful and acclaimed band in American history? Brian might have been able to choose who he wanted to work with; he chose to work with his family. "Stuck with".  Wow.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 10, 2013, 05:51:45 PM »

Autotune is the reason Brian sings better on "Imagination" and TWGMTR. He's heavily processed. I'd rather hear a more natural sound. I don't care for either of those records, particularly Imagination, due to Joe Thomas's electronic wizardry.  I would be more interested in Brian's new album were it not for the involvement of Joe Thomas. I also can't believe Brian wants to work with a man who once sued his wife and said some terrible things about her in that lawsuit and also had his friends such as Steve Dahl spread some nasty stories about Melinda to the press and public. I predict Brian and Melinda will come to regret Joe Thomas II.

I think everybody eventualy comes to regret Joe Thomas.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 10, 2013, 06:02:22 PM »

I think Gershwin is pretty clearly Brian's best sustained, album-length collection of lead vocals since about Pet Sounds. He actually sounds like a professional singer, with sustained notes and actual phrasing and everything. I saw him during the time he was recording that album -- the fall of 2009 -- and the shows he did then were amazing. Best of his solo career, and the few who got to see them agree. For whatever reason, he was on a creative roll then, and I think he worked on his vocals for that album harder than he has before or since in his solo career.

Disney has some very good leads, but also a few unremarkable ones (basically everything up tempo). And TWGMTR is about the same, with the exception of a Bill and Sue, and some of Shelter, where he sounds mush-mouthed. I give Isn't it Time a pass, because it seems to me he was aiming for a grittier sound on a less-produced tune there. His vocals on the closing suite are pretty much at the level of the Gershwin record, though.

Looking back, I think Imagination sounds all right, but a lot of his leads don't quite sound like a human being. It's not that I'd call it robotic, just that he sounds so ... disconnected, I suppose ... from what he's singing about. That's kind of an issue with Orange Crate Art, too. I will say I really like his lead on the remade "Let Him Run Wild," though.

GIOMH, BWPS and the Christmas record all suffer to a greater or lesser extent from the shouty Brian syndrome, although there are good moments in all three. And he just sounds bizarre on the IJWMFTT soundtrack -- high and reedy and over-emphasizing things. He's never used that approach before or since, which is probably a good thing (I guess it's on the Paley sessions tracks, too).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 06:03:23 PM by Wirestone » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 11, 2013, 02:35:51 AM »

I guess I listen to too many blues singers. Nobody cares if their vocals are pristine or not. I approach Brian's music that way too. It's the feeling in the music. If the music feels honest, I love it. That's why people like me adore Beach Boys Love You. It's the feeling right there in the grooves. To hear Brian grind through Still I Dream of It, or Lowell George sing China White, or Richard Manuel sing Tears of Rage is pure, honest emotion, in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more. Reminds me of some classic Bach performances, like Pablo Casals on the Cello Suites. Gruff is the word. Also, Lucy van Dael on the sonatas for solo violin. These are underrated because they are too natural, IMHO, there's little or no gloss or sheen, contrary to many other modern versions. I don't doubt that Bach himself would have preferred the natural way, and that he would have rejected the whole idea of autotune.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 11, 2013, 04:23:28 PM »

So.....any news or opinions on Brian Wilson's new solo album? Or is this thread destined to be become locked because it's another long and very boring bitch-fest about the end of the C50 tour?

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but there is a one page article about Brian's new album in MOJO magazine. It doesn't give away much but Brian does say there are "very good harmonies" and "mellow leads" on the album. JT mentions that Brian and Jeff Beck came up with some great stuff during their week together in the studio. Also, there is only one track (no name mentioned) that is not an original. It says it is the first song Brian learned to sing that he learned from his grandmother.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:24:48 PM by lee » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx