gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:27:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today  (Read 92368 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 09, 2013, 04:13:51 PM »

I heard he once got in a grossout contest with Frank Zappa and took a dump on his father on stage!

Say guys, do you know what we're due for? An Al Jardine interview talking about the upcoming album and tour we can fight over for a week or two. Can't you feel the Jardine winds blowing? Ooo, spooky. It is said on clear nights he takes the form of a beast to take revenge on his enemies and give cryptic interviews...
I want the C50 BBs to sing the whole "Cruisin with Ruben and the Jets" album.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: June 09, 2013, 04:18:19 PM »

"Anyway The Wind Blows" would be epic! I'd love to hear Brian or Al give it a shot. Fine, Foskett can pirouette vocally in the background.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 09, 2013, 04:22:03 PM »

Brian's new album. Well, I'm hoping it'll be better than GIOMH: that's how low my bar is currently set. Leaves a mess of room for surprised (and surprising) delight. When we get some track titles, I'll maybe revise my expectations.

OK, now, back to the C50 nonsense...  Ahhh!
You reckon there's any chance Brian will revisit some of the unfinished 'Life suite' compositions for this album?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 09, 2013, 04:23:14 PM »

And...Is it really like Brian Wilson to attack one of his band members in the form of press articles and releases? I don't buy for one second that he actually felt that way, wanted to do this. And, for what it's worth, despite reportedly having a good time on the tour (let's be honest, it's not like he really looked it most of the time - back troubles not withstanding), did he seriously want to keep touring after 75 dates?

Well, you're a smart man for thinking that!  Know why?  'Cause there was NOBODY on that C50 tour last year who was gladder it was over than Brian Wilson. When I saw him in June, he couldn't wait to sit down wherever he went because his back was killing him! People who were at the concerts were saying that as soon as he left the stage at intermission he would go right off stage and sit. And I saw it first hand! After the concerts he'd make a beline for the tour bus, sit in the front seat, and zonk out immediately. So by September, he was exhausted and good and ready for a long break. Not my opinion. Fact!! Media hype? Sure it was. Along with a little egging on and encouragement by Brian between doctor visits......

Now, how 'bout that Brian Wislon solo album coming up, eh?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: June 09, 2013, 04:25:12 PM »

You reckon there's any chance Brian will revisit some of the unfinished 'Life suite' compositions for this album?

With Joe Thomas involved, I'd say it'd be more likely we'd get some fragments or reworkings. Let's see when they start blabbing more, but if I were in his shoes I would use them here or for future projects with Brian instead of offering them up for MIC, right? Just $$$-wise it makes more sense for control/profit reasons.

Then we can have another few fragments dribble out and years of threads based on contradictory interviews from vague men dedicated to constructing suite mixes. Well, it keeps kids off the streets.

Plus, Brian's a musical recycler. Of course the old themes and weirdness are brought out! I mean, he's gotten to the point of doing the first song his grandma taught him. 60-70% chance of a 98 song in there or two? Place your bets. Place your bets. Watch the red man.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:34:33 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 09, 2013, 04:27:46 PM »

During the early part of the C50 tour, the discussion was thick about how Brian seemed to be miserable.  So much so, that a friend of his, Ray L., came on this board to assure that us that he was enjoying himself.  I haven't seen him post since the time that issue came up.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 09, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »

With Joe Thomas involved, I'd say yes for some more fragments. Let's see, but my guess is that he'd be wanting to use them here and for future projects instead of offering them up for MIC, right?
Well, I'm not sure.  I know Thomas said that Brian had some songs set aside as definite "Beach Boys" pieces, while others were for Brian Wilson albums, and the suite songs we've heard so far were, of course, released under the Beach Boys banner.

So, if this means Brian sees the suite as Beach Boys material, would he be more likely to hold out from releasing these numbers, in the hopes of making them a part of another future BB album?

Or, has Brian decided that he doesn't want to wait for something which may never come, and has decided to make sure the suite sees completion?  Certainly, the four suite numbers from TWGMTR were superb, and if what's left does, in fact, approach anything nearing that level of quality, then I'd like to think Mr. Wilson will find a way to finish them up and see them released.  While I'm not convinced it will be for MiC, I'd like to think there's a chance some of these numbers will see the light of day on this next Brian Wilson solo release.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:37:40 PM by Generation42 » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 09, 2013, 04:51:24 PM »

During the early part of the C50 tour, the discussion was thick about how Brian seemed to be miserable.  So much so, that a friend of his, Ray L., came on this board to assure that us that he was enjoying himself.  I haven't seen him post since the time that issue came up.

I was remembering that when I was typing my last post. That guy was sooooooo fulla crap! Trying to play it down like it was no big deal. Who was that guy?  Did he really have his finger on the pulse to see what was actually going on?  I know what I saw, and a few others corroborated it. No they weren't insiders or on the tour, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the physical condition of Brian Wilson last year!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 09, 2013, 04:57:05 PM »

FWIW, has Brian ever really REALLY liked touring? I mean, really?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 09, 2013, 05:17:12 PM »

I was remembering that when I was typing my last post. That guy was sooooooo fulla crap! Trying to play it down like it was no big deal. Who was that guy?  Did he really have his finger on the pulse to see what was actually going on?  I know what I saw, and a few others corroborated it. No they weren't insiders or on the tour, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the physical condition of Brian Wilson last year!

He's a friend of Brian's. Brian dedicated a song to him at Wembley.

Brian was as engaged as I've ever seen him at the Italian shows, when there was still two months to go of the tour, as well as at Wembley. It's entirely possible that he was distracted by his back problems early on, but enjoyed the tour once his health got slightly better.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 09, 2013, 05:40:57 PM »

In an attempt to try to bring this thread back on topic, perhaps the C50 subject could continue here.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15751.0.html

Smiley
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 09, 2013, 05:44:30 PM »

I just have to quote this all the way back from page 3--

I'm just gonna say... DEAR GOD PLEASE DON'T LET JOE THOMAS f*** THIS UP!!!!!!!

Seriously.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 09, 2013, 05:48:44 PM »

He's going to do a great job. His plan all along was to outsell TWGMTR and the C50 Live albums.

Crafty b@stard! Grin
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 09, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »

Didn't Brian's press release imply the music exploded out of him during/since the C50?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 09, 2013, 06:09:34 PM »

Something sure as heck did during the GIOMH sessions.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 09, 2013, 06:11:52 PM »

Didn't Brian's press release imply the music exploded out of him during/since the C50?

“I was really moved by the fans’ excitement about The Beach Boys’ album and tour last year,” says Wilson. “It charged me up and my head was full of music - I just couldn’t wait to get back into the studio to let it out.”

They wouldn't publish this unless there was a bit of newly conceived material for this album, eh?

With the lineup of musicians, Al and Dave guesting, and the praise his songs for this release have been getting, I'd say we're in for one amazing album!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 09, 2013, 06:44:45 PM »

Brian's new album. Well, I'm hoping it'll be better than GIOMH: that's how low my bar is currently set. Leaves a mess of room for surprised (and surprising) delight. When we get some track titles, I'll maybe revise my expectations.

OK, now, back to the C50 nonsense...  Ahhh!

It actually sounds a lot like GIOMH quite frankly from a conceptual standpoint although obviously it's not so much the concept that really matters but the execution.  Like I said I really don't understand why so many are so adverse to other members continuing a discussion about the dissolution of the C50 in this thread since there isn't all the much to speak about in regards to Brian's new solo album as we know next to nothing about it yet.  I mean how many "I can't wait to hear what Jeff Beck is going to contribute to this record" posts can you possibly have before it sounds like the one that said exactly the same thing two pages back?  But different strokes for different folks I guess.

In regards to the ongoing C50 discussion, I've started a new thread here in an effort not to get this one locked up for those who actually do wish to discuss the imminent Brian Wilson solo release.  So here is hoping that this thread doesn't get locked and the mods allow us who want to continue talking about the C50 to migrate over to the thread posted below:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15752.0.html

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 09, 2013, 06:49:38 PM »

This topic refuses to die, so let's spin it on it's head for a moment; if it had been Mike who wanted to extend the C50 tour and Brian wasn't interested would people still be bemoaning the breakup in the same way? No the consensus would be that of evil, no-talent Mike Love is again trying to exploit his poor, defenceless cousin to further his own career.

If Mike had wanted to continue and Brian didn't, the band wouldn't have broken up in the same way.  Because there'd be nothing to stop Mike from inviting Al and David to keep touring with him and Bruce... and we'd be back to, basically, the Beach Boys status quo from 1965 onwards: Brian at home while the rest of the band goes out.  Quite possibly even working on this album and waiting for the rest of the band to come back and add vocals.

So of course people wouldn't have objected in the same way.

The fact that Mike didn't want that is down to nobody but Mike...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:09:26 PM by Jonathan Blum » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 09, 2013, 06:59:43 PM »

[moved to other thread]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:09:53 PM by Jonathan Blum » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 09, 2013, 07:26:45 PM »

This topic refuses to die, so let's spin it on it's head for a moment; if it had been Mike who wanted to extend the C50 tour and Brian wasn't interested would people still be bemoaning the breakup in the same way? No the consensus would be that of evil, no-talent Mike Love is again trying to exploit his poor, defenceless cousin to further his own career.

If Mike had wanted to continue and Brian didn't, the band wouldn't have broken up in the same way.  Because there'd be nothing to stop Mike from inviting Al and David to keep touring with him and Bruce... and we'd be back to, basically, the Beach Boys status quo from 1965 onwards: Brian at home while the rest of the band goes out.  Quite possibly even working on this album and waiting for the rest of the band to come back and add vocals.

So of course people wouldn't have objected in the same way.

The fact that Mike didn't want that is down to nobody but Mike...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

It would still leave Brian breaking up the C50 and all of the pie-in-the-sky oppotunities etc.. If the C50 could continue without Brian, it could have continued without Mike. Theoretically. Also the premise was that Brian declined for the same reasons supposedly attributed to Mike, that Brian didn't wish to continue to appease to Mike and wanted to continue his already made plans with his own band.

If Mike's reason was a bad back maybe [maybe not] the actual conversation would have been different.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:04:17 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: June 09, 2013, 08:21:28 PM »

That hypothetical Brian Wilson sure is a dirty snake in the grass! Always tarnishing the reputation of The Actual Brian Wilson. Of course, Fantasy Mike Love would never let a bad back stop him and would've soldiered on without ever complaining once except to Bruce Johnston over a weird leafy looking lunch.

We should bug some of the people involved in this new album and see if some details trickle out.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: June 09, 2013, 11:48:41 PM »

Ray is legit.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #347 on: June 10, 2013, 12:21:46 AM »

I would be surprised if this album wasn't considerably better than GIOMH. There is obviously a similarity in the way that guests are being used but they are sensible choices this time when compared with the likes of Robbie Williams who were invited for GIOMH. Plus I cannot imagine Joe Thomas allowing Brian to contribute the terrible vocals he did for that earlier album.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #348 on: June 10, 2013, 01:15:23 AM »

I cannot imagine Joe Thomas allowing Brian to contribute the terrible vocals he did for that earlier album.

You forgot to put the laughing emoticon in. People might think you really mean this LOL
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: June 10, 2013, 01:29:39 AM »

Sorry this is off-topic.

*sigh* Obviously I'm not even capable of asking my question in a way anybody gets my point. I'm not arguing that it would make any sense for Brian, Al and David to do a M&B-like tour under the name "The Beach Boys". They won't ever, that's for sure, my question was : If they did, would they likely sell less tickets than M&B do? Academic question.

In my opinion, after the first few weeks, yes - sales would drop off like lemmings suddenly introduced to a cliff edge. None of the three are natural frontmen.

Thank you Andrew for finally answering my question in a way that I can get your point, and more than that, in a polite way without unnecessarily babbling about irrelevant things one may or may not know about certain circumstances on a distant earlier tour trying to point out how much more you know than I do and how little I know. You really don't need to prove that, Andrew.

Ok. I can understand the question and obviously I'm not AGD.

I think if Brian, Al and David using the Beach Boys name were to do the same touring schedule as Mike and Bruce and play all of the county fairs as well as the other venues then they could sell as many tickets. But the costs for them in traveling and having a much bigger band would mean that I certainly don't think it would be as big a success in business terms.

All of these things are linked in and Brian has had more 'success' touring solo (in that he has been able to release new work and gain credibility as a solo artist) than he would have trying to tour as a 3 piece Beach Boys.

Thanks to you too, Nicko. Case closed for me, back to the new album. Any new rumors?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx