gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:53:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today  (Read 92951 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: June 09, 2013, 12:37:33 PM »

*sigh* Obviously I'm not even capable of asking my question in a way anybody gets my point. I'm not arguing that it would make any sense for Brian, Al and David to do a M&B-like tour under the name "The Beach Boys". They won't ever, that's for sure, my question was : If they did, would they likely sell less tickets than M&B do? Academic question.

In my opinion, after the first few weeks, yes - sales would drop off like lemmings suddenly introduced to a cliff edge. None of the three are natural frontmen.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: June 09, 2013, 12:48:48 PM »

OK, once more for those who might be hard of understanding, here's why Brian's "surprise" at Mike's press announcement of late September last year doesn't wash with me, or indeed anyone possessed of a rational outlook: from Rolling Stone dated June 26th 2012 -

"But while the band continues to extend its 50th anniversary tour with more dates in the U.S. and overseas, frontman Mike Love is also planning for what happens when the tour is over; he's already booked fall dates with his touring version of the Beach Boys, without the group's other principal founding members.

The news surprised Brian Wilson. "I wasn't aware that Mike had some shows in South America," Wilson tells Rolling Stone. "News to me.""

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mike-love-books-beach-boys-shows-without-brian-wilson-20120626

So, Mike announced his dastardly plan to, er, stick to the mutually agreed script a good three months before the nonsense of September. More, Brian was not only fully aware, he even commented on it. Might have been news to him before 6/26/12... but not after. And note, no wails of protest, no "feels like being sacked". Just "news to me".

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 09, 2013, 01:24:51 PM »

We will never come to an agreement on the C50 tour situation. If your view is Mike was right in completing  his agreed number of shows, rejecting more dates and returning to his lineup well then that's your prerogative.

If you believe he should have completed the tour,  then following the last show sat down with the rest of the band and discussed the future of the Beach Boys then you're a rational thinking person.

This whole C50 tour discussion is an interesting personality test, you're either a Brian Wilson personality type or a Mike love personality type. I'm not surprised AGD sides with Mike  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: June 09, 2013, 01:36:08 PM »

Actually, I'm siding with the concept of accurate reporting and correctly understanding said information. fact is, as just established, Brian knew about Mike's October shows some three months before Mike's second (and admittedly very badly-timed) statement, thus to express any surprise at the latter was, to be charitable about it, disingenuous. The more so as it was issued at the express request of Brian's representative. This isn't my given opinion, it's reported fact from the two October pieces in the LA Times. Read them again.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 09, 2013, 01:42:13 PM »

If you believe he should have completed the tour,  then following the last show sat down with the rest of the band and discussed the future of the Beach Boys then you're a rational thinking person.

But who's to say they didn't? In fact, as Jon Stebbings has mentioned that future dates had been offered sometime previously, they had no doubt had this discussion well before the final show. And for whatever reason no agreement to carry on at that time could be reached.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 09, 2013, 01:54:23 PM »

Actually, I'm siding with the concept of accurate reporting and correctly understanding said information. fact is, as just established, Brian knew about Mike's October shows some three months before Mike's second (and admittedly very badly-timed) statement, thus to express any surprise at the latter was, to be charitable about it, disingenuous. The more so as it was issued at the express request of Brian's representative. This isn't my given opinion, it's reported fact from the two October pieces in the LA Times. Read them again.

Ok, a pretty unusual reaction from Brian's camp, nothing new there.

I saw the M&B dates pop up only a few weeks (maybe less) into the tour. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. It's nothing short of undermining, Mike had his mind set up how far the C50 tour was going. As I stated you can either believe it's his right or you can believe that the 5 guys on stage made the Beach Boys what they are and it was up to those five guys to decide what happens post the C50 tour. All legal, voting sh*t aside.

But who's to say they didn't? In fact, as Jon Stebbings has mentioned that future dates had been offered sometime previously, they had no doubt had this discussion well before the final show. And for whatever reason no agreement to carry on at that time could be reached.

IMO. I doubt Mike gave those dates a second look.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Nicko1234
« Reply #306 on: June 09, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »

I saw the M&B dates pop up only a few weeks (maybe less) into the tour. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. It's nothing short of undermining, Mike had his mind set up how far the C50 tour was going. As I stated you can either believe it's his right or you can believe that the 5 guys on stage made the Beach Boys what they are and it was up to those five guys to decide what happens post the C50 tour. All legal, voting sh*t aside.

I disagree that those are the only two possible options. Especially as Bruce and David have no say at all. And also because they all originally had an idea of how far the tour was going. The plan was to do it for 'one final time' as Al said. They all knew about that.

I can understand people saying that Mike should have waited until the tour was done and dusted before booking dates. But as tickets need to go on sale months before a concert is held and promoters and venues have to be involved well before that time, I think it is also completely understandable that the tour had a set end date and that Mike and Bruce gigs were arranged for after that.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 09, 2013, 02:38:30 PM »

If you believe he should have completed the tour,  then following the last show sat down with the rest of the band and discussed the future of the Beach Boys then you're a rational thinking person.

I like you Shady but your opinions can sometimes be so fantasy based. It's not like there's five magical fairies and they all can stay and play as a happy loving unit forever and ever and ever because a few of them want to.

I am still of the opinion that the whole "Mike fired me!" bit was a publicity stunt. A cheap one at that. But either way, we're still talking about it!!! As AGD has presented, there is actual proof Brian was told about Mike's fall plans. They were made!  As if the first time he knew (or his "handlers") was when he was told by a writer of Rolling Stone. Give me a break. And once again, some of you seem to forget, Mike has people on his payroll, and some of them are his own family. "The Beach Boys" are an established unit, this thing wasn't infinite, people don't seem to want to understand that.

And...Is it really like Brian Wilson to attack one of his band members in the form of press articles and releases? I don't buy for one second that he actually felt that way, wanted to do this. And, for what it's worth, despite reportedly having a good time on the tour (let's be honest, it's not like he really looked it most of the time - back troubles not withstanding), did he seriously want to keep touring after 75 dates?

I might get some heat for this, but you know how Brian was the most "on" for both of the final UK shows? Maybe he was so happy and "on" those nights because he knew they were the last.

And lastly, I know I just added fuel to this ugly fire, but can we not have EVERY thread derail into a C50 clusterfuck? This one was supposed to be about Brian's upcoming album.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:39:25 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 09, 2013, 02:39:42 PM »

If you believe he should have completed the tour,  then following the last show sat down with the rest of the band and discussed the future of the Beach Boys then you're a rational thinking person.

You truly amaze me. Facts mean absolutely nothing to you. Are you a conspiracy theorist in everyday life? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: June 09, 2013, 02:41:12 PM »

Mike - along with the other four - agreed to the initial 50 dates: then, as it became evident the tour was going to be a monster, the decision was made to extend it by roughly 50%, another 23 dates, essentially the entire overseas leg. Mike changed his mind for the greater good once, and - granted I'm shooting in the dark here - maybe someone guessed he'd roll over again, and was surprised when he didn't. Also, as has been pointed out excellently earlier today, if it was Mike wanting to go on and Brian's saying "no", you know as well as I do there wouldn't be anything like as much fuss, if any at all. Because it's Brian, and that makes all the difference to a certain clique here and elsewhere.

Paulos
« Reply #310 on: June 09, 2013, 02:47:10 PM »

So.....any news or opinions on Brian Wilson's new solo album? Or is this thread destined to be become locked because it's another long and very boring bitch-fest about the end of the C50 tour?
Nicko1234
« Reply #311 on: June 09, 2013, 02:53:35 PM »

So.....any news or opinions on Brian Wilson's new solo album? Or is this thread destined to be become locked because it's another long and very boring bitch-fest about the end of the C50 tour?

Hopefully some song titles for this and the MIC box set are released soon to give us something more tangible to talk about.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 09, 2013, 03:09:51 PM »

I know.  I'm not a moderator (and I don't play one on tv), but various members, including myself, have repeatedly attempted to steer the discussion back to the topic at-hand, and have even gone so far as to ask directly that this continuous, off-topic, barrage be taken elsewhere, and I've only seen one or two people acknowledge our requests, and we have otherwise been ignored.  Terrible manners, and improper use of the forum.  What I don't get is why the real moderators haven't tried to put an end to this (it's been going on unchecked for days and days, now).  I don't mean to piss and moan about it, but it's off-topic, people are getting nowhere in convincing anybody of anything, and after so many pages of it, it's boring as hell.

Please, try to be gentlemen about it and either discuss the announcement of Brian's new album, or take it someplace else.  Please.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 09, 2013, 03:18:15 PM »

Please, try to be gentlemen about it and either discuss the announcement of Brian's new album, or take it someplace else.  Please.

Where's the fun in that?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 09, 2013, 03:24:09 PM »

Where's the fun in that?
See, now that was funny.   Grin

But, seriously, days and days and days...
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 09, 2013, 03:25:13 PM »

I know.  I'm not a moderator (and I don't play one on tv), but various members, including myself, have repeatedly attempted to steer the discussion back to the topic at-hand, and have even gone so far as to ask directly that this continuous, off-topic, barrage be taken elsewhere, and I've only seen one or two people acknowledge our requests, and we have otherwise been ignored.  Terrible manners, and improper use of the forum.  What I don't get is why the real moderators haven't tried to put an end to this (it's been going on unchecked for days and days, now).  I don't mean to piss and moan about it, but it's off-topic, people are getting nowhere in convincing anybody of anything, and after so many pages of it, it's boring as hell.

Wha?  Who?  You and Paulos finally gettin' tired of watching the circle jerk here?  

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 09, 2013, 03:29:19 PM »

Why doesn't Mike Love have the right to decide that he didn't enjoy working with B. Wilson and Co. and decided to stick with his long term gig?  B.Wilson's track record on the road is atrocious.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 09, 2013, 03:32:38 PM »

Thud
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: June 09, 2013, 03:33:37 PM »

I heard he once got in a grossout contest with Frank Zappa and took a dump on his father on stage!

Say guys, do you know what we're due for? An Al Jardine interview talking about the upcoming album and tour we can fight over for a week or two. Can't you feel the Jardine winds blowing? Ooo, spooky. It is said on clear nights he takes the form of a beast to take revenge on his enemies and give cryptic interviews...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 03:36:10 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Paulos
« Reply #319 on: June 09, 2013, 03:41:59 PM »

Wha?  Who?  You and Paulos finally gettin' tired of watching the circle jerk here?  

Yes.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 09, 2013, 03:43:19 PM »

I heard he once got in a grossout contest with Frank Zappa and took a dump on his father on stage!
Nah.  You're thinking of good 'ol G.G.

Perfectly understandable, though.  People are making that mistake all of the time.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 09, 2013, 03:58:09 PM »

Why doesn't Mike Love have the right to decide that he didn't enjoy working with B. Wilson and Co. and decided to stick with his long term gig?  B.Wilson's track record on the road is atrocious.

I still don't get why other BW fans want him to work with Mike so bad anyway, just because of the Beach Boys name. Mike is nothing but a drag on Brian at this point because he refuses to do work up to his potential. I'd much rather hear Brian work with legitimate talents like Jeff Beck than a hack like Mike.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 09, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »

Even if Mike had agreed to more dates, and the tour was extended for a few months, we would still be in the same place we are now, in June 2013. The C50 tour would still have long been over by now, right? And the M/B Beach Boys would still be touring with their own version of the band.

The C50 tour doesn't matter now. What matters is the new BW album. Did Brian propose at first that this new lp be a Beach Boy lp, and did Mike reject the offer? Or was this always going to be a solo lp? Is there a plan for a possible "the Beach Boys" lp after this solo lp is finished? These are the pertinent questions, surely (not that any of us are likely to know the answers).
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 09, 2013, 04:06:36 PM »

I still don't get why other BW fans want him to work with Mike so bad anyway, just because of the Beach Boys name. Mike is nothing but a drag on Brian at this point because he refuses to do work up to his potential. I'd much rather hear Brian work with legitimate talents like Jeff Beck than a hack like Mike.

To be fair to Mike, didn't an interview just come out where Mike said he didn't really work with Brian on TWGMTR? It was more like "here's the instrumental, come up with some lyrics Mike"

The band dynamic isn't there anymore. Blame it on Mike, blame it on Brian, but the chemistry is gone. So, call me a Brianista, but I'd rather Brian work without Mike if better music is the result.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: June 09, 2013, 04:10:11 PM »

Brian's new album. Well, I'm hoping it'll be better than GIOMH: that's how low my bar is currently set. Leaves a mess of room for surprised (and surprising) delight. When we get some track titles, I'll maybe revise my expectations.

OK, now, back to the C50 nonsense...  Ahhh!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx