gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:18:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today  (Read 92366 times)
DMBeard_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2013, 06:43:10 AM »

Here's a quick rundown.

http://www.examiner.com/article/brian-wilson-s-11th-solo-album-on-its-way

In Music,
David
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 06:56:59 AM »

I'm excited.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
oldsurferdude
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:04:53 AM »

Thrilled that it's BW album with Al and David plus Brian's other guests. Equally as pleased that mYke and brOOth will be outside looking in. LOL
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 07:12:11 AM »

From Brian's site:

http://www.brianwilson.com/news/
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 07:12:33 AM »

I'm depressed.... I realize there was very little chance of this being a BB record, but I hoping against hope especially with the photos that emerged of Mike working in the same studio just a few days ago.... I'm a Beach Boys fan, not a Brianista, what can I say? Seriously bummed.... MIC better still be coming out... that's a threat Capitol!!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 07:19:34 AM »

I'm incredibly excited  Cheesy

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 07:22:46 AM »

me too....one should just be happy & thankful anything is being released at this stage.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 07:28:12 AM »

me too....one should just be happy & thankful anything is being released at this stage.

nah... Beach Boys for me, please. Not interested in anything else.

Well, that's not quite true. But that's how I feel at the moment anyway. Wah.  Cry

By the way, for the record, I recognize that it is likely that Mike is mostly to blame for the BB record not happening, and I certainly don't blame Brian for carrying on and am glad that people are excited, but for some of us, it's just another depressing reminder that the 50th anniversary was a one and done deal.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:34:44 AM by TimmyC » Logged
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 07:34:14 AM »

Interesting that there's no indication of who, if anybody, Brian's working with on the production side of things. Yeah, Don Was is mentioned, but from the reference it seems he's more a guest than a production presence.

So I assume that means no Joe Thomas. What does that say about our chances of seeing the remainder of "Life's Suite" in the near future? Are we going to have wait until the next Beach Boys reunion?

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 07:36:01 AM »

Interesting that there's no indication of who, if anybody, Brian's working with on the production side of things. Yeah, Don Was is mentioned, but from the reference it seems he's more a guest than a production presence.

So I assume that means no Joe Thomas. What does that say about our chances of seeing the remainder of "Life's Suite" in the near future? Are we going to have wait until the next Beach Boys reunion?

The original press release at brianwilson.com/news says "Installed at Ocean Way, Wilson and his hand-picked band of friends have taken a fluid, woodshedding approach to the recording process, letting collaborative creativity drive the sessions.  Wilson is working with longtime collaborator Joe Thomas to hone the arrangements, often assembling pieces from various takes.  Details about the album and its release will be shared soon."

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 07:46:39 AM »

Consider me just a fan of fine melodies and chords: I'm pumped for this!

I'll be missing the voices of Mike and Bruce, especially Bruce, but that doesn't really spoil this for me. Brian's tunes for this project have received heavy praise from multiple sources - I can't wait to hear them!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 07:53:28 AM »

I'm depressed.... I realize there was very little chance of this being a BB record, but I hoping against hope especially with the photos that emerged of Mike working in the same studio just a few days ago.... I'm a Beach Boys fan, not a Brianista, what can I say? Seriously bummed.... MIC better still be coming out... that's a threat Capitol!!!

Brian Wilson is recording a new album with two original Beach Boys guesting, how can that possibly be depressing news for a Beach Boys fan? If given the choice I would also prefer another Beach Boys album, but if we can't have one, I'd say that this is the best possible alternative.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 07:54:08 AM »

So Dave, are you still saying we "can count on" that new Beach Boys album in 2013?? Excited about the Brian album, although I'd rather it be a BB album.  But why do our boys always feel they have to include enough guest stars to fill an episode of the Love Boat?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:58:28 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 07:54:53 AM »

Also we most likely will get another BB's album and tour it was just never going to happen a year after the last one.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 08:05:45 AM »

+1

Although just above me Shady makes a good point as well.  While part of me understands Mike Love's position and what he wants to do with his life and his career, there is still a part of me that cannot reconcile as a working professional musician why he would not want The Beach Boys to be the beneficiary of all this renewed sense of prolific creativity on the part of his cuzzz.  One would think Mike would want to capitalize on that but I guess his plan is his plan.

Edit: As for how Brian Wilson recording a new record with two guesting Beach Boys could be depressing to a Beach Boys fan?  Let me offer you this alternate universe scenario:  The Beatles get back together circa mid 80s and record an album that is critically well received and backed by a successful tour.  The following year John Lennon begins work on a solo album, invites George Harrison and Ringo Starr along but not Paul McCartney.  I guarantee you Beatles fans would've been bummed about that too.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:09:52 AM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 08:08:40 AM »

I agree. The Beach Boys didn't appear on my radar until 2003 and back then I was pretty sure that I'd missed everything. But it's been surprise after suprise ever since. BWPS, TLOS, Brian's other albums, Al's album, TSS box set, TWGMTR, the reunion tour... Each of these things were a big bonus to me. So at this point, they can release 'Stars & Stripes Vol. 2', 'The Going Public Sessions' or 'Summer In Paradise... Naked' and I'll get it.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 08:21:10 AM »

Super-duper excited!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 08:24:17 AM »

I agree. The Beach Boys didn't appear on my radar until 2003 and back then I was pretty sure that I'd missed everything. But it's been surprise after suprise ever since. BWPS, TLOS, Brian's other albums, Al's album, TSS box set, TWGMTR, the reunion tour... Each of these things were a big bonus to me. So at this point, they can release 'Stars & Stripes Vol. 2', 'The Going Public Sessions' or 'Summer In Paradise... Naked' and I'll get it.

Exactly!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 08:30:04 AM »

Something I just thought of... Regardless of how cool Dennis, Carl and Mike are or where, Brian was kind of stuck with them for the simple reason that they were his family. And Bruce, Ricky and Blondie were professionals who were considered right for the job at the time. Al and David were the only ones who became Beach Boys on the basis of friendship. So in that way, it's pretty cool that they are the guys that Brian ends up working with now, 52 years down the road.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 08:32:25 AM »

Woohoo!!  Awesome, awesome news!

By the way, for the record, I recognize that it is likely that Mike is mostly to blame for the BB record not happening, and I certainly don't blame Brian for carrying on and am glad that people are excited, but for some of us, it's just another depressing reminder that the 50th anniversary was a one and done deal.
Without searching and reading through a million posts with opinion/bashing/rumors -- what happened with the BB record not happening?

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 08:33:47 AM »

recall that Mike said he was not allowed to be alone with Brian to write. Why in hell would he want to submit to that sort of control. I am sad, but I do not blame Mike, whose heart has been open. Sad sad sad. I am "BB only," please.  But I'll get it to hear the Al and Dave parts if Jeff does not quadruple track them out of existence.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 08:36:40 AM »

I should state that if this record isn't pleasure Island I'll be pretty bummed

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 08:43:18 AM »

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I'm always going to get pumped about brand new Brian Wilson songs, and I'm really interested to see what this turns out like with super talented Jeff Beck. The caution comes in with Joe Thomas and what this thing might sound like. I'm hoping for the best, because this could nd great, but the realist in me is tempering my expectations. We might finally be getting Pleasure Island, or we could be getting Imagination with better guitar solos.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 08:55:43 AM »

Consider me just a fan of fine melodies and chords: I'm pumped for this!

I'll be missing the voices of Mike and Bruce, especially Bruce, but that doesn't really spoil this for me. Brian's tunes for this project have received heavy praise from multiple sources - I can't wait to hear them!

It'd be interesting to know if this is what a Beach Boys album would've sounded like (since Brian said he wanted to record with them again) or if these songs were never considered anything else but Brian solo stuff. Thomas made it clear that from the '98 sessions Brian had exact plans for what would be solo and what would be Beach Boys songs.
Anyway, I hope that Brian doesn' feel bad when this album won't be a big seller (which wil probably be the case). I'm very happy that the success of the Beach Boys tour and album gave him new creativity but don't want him to get bummed out.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 08:56:32 AM »

Woohoo!!  Awesome, awesome news!

Without searching and reading through a million posts with opinion/bashing/rumors -- what happened with the BB record not happening?

I'm just being Donnie Downer right now - I'll keep crossing my fingers and hope it still happens - maybe next year. I think it's cool that Al and David are on Brian's new record, but it's just not the news I most wanted to hear. Again, wah.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:57:59 AM by TimmyC » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx