gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:16:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BAD Tour/Setlist '13  (Read 72084 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 27, 2013, 08:13:33 PM »

Aiiiirplane, aiiiirplane, I need Melinda by my side.  Wayoo.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 08:14:28 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #301 on: July 27, 2013, 08:57:33 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:53:13 PM by zatch » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 27, 2013, 09:23:01 PM »

The face of kokomo itself...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 27, 2013, 09:47:38 PM »

I was kinda nervous about Brian's health from a few of the photos I've seen this year, but I gotta say he looks happy and healthy in this one.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 28, 2013, 09:18:47 AM »

I have been listening to the live album, and I would like to substantiate something the Professor said a while ago: "David marks IS the reunion." His playing is amazing; what someone called sloppy is the occasional moment when he invents, playfully, new note patterns and strums that are not on  the original records; that is, he improvises in concert and plays even some of the classic riffs that he and Carl composed and performed differently. I dismiss out of hand and absurd the critique of his play and timing. I will take his invention and improvisation over hired gun reproduction of written scores.
His singing, the occasion for my comments here, is the lone authentic source of homage to his friend Dennis. Dave has, in fact, a double burden, even in many ways greater though different from Brian's: Dave has to preserve Carl's and Dennis's art musically, vocally, spiritually, in his own playing, singing and writing.

Getcha Back is a good song that has now become great in performance; it's one of the top highlights of the live album.

The Professor also wants to note that he thinks a certain critical emotional mass is forming and that a reunion of sorts, either shows or being together on an album, will happen--just a hunch.
You refer to yourself in the third person, and you expect a respectful answer as well as credibility?  Roll Eyes  Only on the internet.

Miss Amanda Jones stated that "David's guitar playing was probably the "lowlight" of the show for me. His solos didn't add to the songs or impress the crowd.."  However, you chose to refer to my comments, and you made a mistake.  I was the one who said his playing was sloppy and his timing isn't the greatest - both of which are 100% true.  I also said he did a very decent job and I wished he was louder in the mix so I could hear him better.  Why?  Because he of what I also said - he's a throwback, and to further elaborate - he's genuine, he's the real thing, WHICH I PREFER.  I also pointed out that Little Bird was my favorite moment of the show by far.  I also thoroughly enjoyed David on C50, love his use of a Fender Jaguar and Fender amps with good ol' spring reverb.  It is normal to critique your heroes - it's honest.  Jimmy Page was my guitar idol when I was a teen.  That didn't stop me from ripping on him all the time.  He was also sloppy, but I loved him as a player.

Next time how about actually reading a complete post before thinking of what "The Professor" Roll Eyes is going to say?  
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:20:38 AM by Ram4 » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 28, 2013, 04:43:49 PM »

I was kinda nervous about Brian's health from a few of the photos I've seen this year, but I gotta say he looks happy and healthy in this one.

He looks great. It's kind of a relief

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #306 on: July 28, 2013, 05:02:32 PM »

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 28, 2013, 06:06:25 PM »

His singing, the occasion for my comments here, is the lone authentic source of homage to his friend Dennis. Dave has, in fact, a double burden, even in many ways greater though different from Brian's: Dave has to preserve Carl's and Dennis's art musically, vocally, spiritually, in his own playing, singing and writing.

So he has to preserve Carl and Denny's  art musically, vocally, etc more than Carl and Denny's own brother? I'm not so sure I agree with that.

And while Dave is a good guitar player and  probably a super nice guy, from what I've heard, his solo albums are kinda poorly produced adult contemporary "blues" somewhat like Eric Clapton sometimes does. I think it's a great story that Dave got to come back to The Beach Boys and soak up the love from the fans, I still think the album and tour would've been pretty amazing. And all the same with Brian's new album, I really don't care that he's on it, especially since it's unlikely we'll be able to tell what part he's playing anyways. Al on the other hand, I hope he's on every song, HE will make a difference.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 28, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »

You do realize that you just sh*t on a bunch of music you've never actually listened to, right?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:41:16 PM by MarcellaHasDirtyFeet » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 28, 2013, 07:59:54 PM »

You do realize that you just sh*t on a bunch of music you've never actually listened to, right?

But I have listened to it. And it by and large sucks. Why would you think I haven't heard it? I wrote "from what I've heard".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 28, 2013, 08:16:50 PM »

But I have listened to it. And it by and large sucks. Why would you think I haven't heard it? I wrote "from what I've heard".
So, when did you hear Brian's new album? That is what Marcella... was talking about.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 28, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »

So, when did you hear Brian's new album? That is what Marcella... was talking about.

Oh, my b. Thought he was talking about Dave's solo stuff. I just figure that if Dave is on Brian's album, it'll most likely just be on guitar, and will be as hard to detect as it was on TWGMTR. I don't understand how that's shitting on Brian's new album though. Cuz I'm actually pretty excited about it.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 28, 2013, 08:47:40 PM »

Brian, Al and David flying by private jet to the next BAD show.

Meanwhile, some where in the US, Mike and Bruce are riding a public bus to the next Beach Boys show.

Dave: "Are we there yet?"

Melinda: "NO!"

Brian: "I want a steak"

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 29, 2013, 02:05:42 AM »

tusrdu, who got some pretty good footage during the C50 has done it again with the BAD tour.

Ohio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AgaFFJWVOc
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 29, 2013, 04:19:25 AM »

Oh, my b. Thought he was talking about Dave's solo stuff. I just figure that if Dave is on Brian's album, it'll most likely just be on guitar, and will be as hard to detect as it was on TWGMTR. I don't understand how that's shitting on Brian's new album though. Cuz I'm actually pretty excited about it.

Nope. I was talking about Dave's solo stuff. Sorry sweetdudejim, I took "from what I've heard" and assumed (I don't know why) that you had meant "from what I've been told" instead of "from what I've listened to."

Internets, eh? Crazy place. Sorry again
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 29, 2013, 06:44:08 AM »

Nope. I was talking about Dave's solo stuff. Sorry sweetdudejim, I took "from what I've heard" and assumed (I don't know why) that you had meant "from what I've been told" instead of "from what I've listened to."

Totally cool. That's problem with the damn internet. Can never tell exactly what people mean.
rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 29, 2013, 06:55:04 AM »

I was at the MN show on Saturday. I hope this is ok to post thoughts here? Well I'll do it anyway.
Setlist: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2013/weesner-amphitheater-apple-valley-mn-13c6fd25.html

General notes:
Brian was really engaged, smiled a lot, and sang well.
Al sounded great. His voice has held up well.
David was awesome. Great guitar player!
Band was pretty tight overall. Set 1 really kicked ass. Set 2 and encores were also good, but not as smoking as Set 1.

If anyone has any specific questions about the show, I can try and answer them.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 29, 2013, 08:25:43 AM »

Totally cool. That's problem with the damn internet. Can never tell exactly what people mean.
I was trying to follow along, but something got lost in translation. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 30, 2013, 07:43:01 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFE0-d1Uc2g

Not my recording, but still like to share this with everyone Smiley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: July 30, 2013, 01:30:05 PM »

A few minutes ago on Facebook:

Brian at it again: recording in Chicago this afternoon.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 30, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »

I love they are doing thus but Jeff is to high in the mix.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 30, 2013, 03:17:24 PM »

A few minutes ago on Facebook:

Brian at it again: recording in Chicago this afternoon.

Is Brian coloring his hair?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 30, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »

Wow, that sounds incredible. 

I love the piano riffing on "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" and "Swanee River" (or "South Bay Surfer"  LOL) at the beginning.  That's Brian playing?

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 30, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »

it's Darian. and it's played pretty much note-for-note off the twofer version... Old Folks At Home (aka Swanee River)/Old Man River
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 31, 2013, 12:19:01 AM »

Is Brian coloring his hair?

He's not, but I'd get unduly excited if he were.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 12:20:09 AM by Spil Phector » Logged

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx