gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:25:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BAD Tour/Setlist '13  (Read 72093 times)
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 27, 2013, 12:18:57 PM »

This was posted on Dave Mark's Facebook page - finally, an audience vid of Little Bird. Very nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=djurDWM9o8o#at=94

Sometimes you just have to consider how lucky we are to hear some of these classics, nay underground classics live in a concert.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 27, 2013, 12:22:27 PM »

First off it seems like a bunch of us were at the show last night - pretty cool.  

I think David's guitar should have been louder in the mix, that might have gotten some more people into it.  I was right next to the board and overall the sound was good but could've used more lead guitar and bass.  David is not what I would call a great lead player, he's pretty sloppy and his timing isn't great, but he's a throwback as a player and does a very decent job.  Now maybe his guitar was louder elsewhere in the pavilion and it wasn't so great.  More than made up by him doing Little Bird!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 27, 2013, 12:32:13 PM »

Wow, Dave sounds a lot like Dennis when he sings that, it's a little eerie.  Pretty cool though.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #278 on: July 27, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:53:25 PM by zatch » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 27, 2013, 02:36:18 PM »

I've never loved David's voice, but he sings that very well, it'd be great if they'd do Forever or another of Dennis's ballads with David on lead. Maybe even Slip On Through?
Here's Dave singing Forever with the Beach Boys a few years back...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZ5NSatN8A
MBE
« Reply #280 on: July 27, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »

I was right in front of David in the second row and l think his playing was sharp. He gets these treble tones that are cool and he plays with attitude. Technical stuff doesn't matter as much as heart, and besides that Dave knows his music. Maybe I could just hear or see what he was doing better?
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 27, 2013, 03:43:12 PM »

David is not what I would call a great lead player, he's pretty sloppy and his timing isn't great

Since C50 he's been billed as a "surf guitar legend"... I was expecting a little more of his playing, to be honest.

Overall, I had a fantastic time at the concert. It was exactly what I expected, setlist and all, but I was finally able to unleash my Beach Boys fandom in public and sing falsetto along to Hawaii and the like.

Also, shout out to the guy who gave me a free home brew. That was nice. Sorry I called Gettin' In Over My Head a terrible album, by the way.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 03:44:05 PM by Miss Amanda Jones » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 27, 2013, 04:27:05 PM »

This was posted on Dave Mark's Facebook page - finally, an audience vid of Little Bird. Very nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=djurDWM9o8o#at=94

Sometimes you just have to consider how lucky we are to hear some of these classics, nay underground classics live in a concert.

fantastic performance.

One thing I do notice about Brian performances live is the lack of organs which were so key to his later sound. I can hear the organ during the 'child is father of the man' part in Little Bird, but it should be more prominent as it has a filling quality to it. Ofc I may be mistaken given that it was recorded with amateur equipment.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 27, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »

Is one of the 2 blondes in front of the camera Melinda?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 27, 2013, 05:31:35 PM »

Looks very like her

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 27, 2013, 06:13:49 PM »

You'd think she would most certainly have a better seat than that.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: July 27, 2013, 06:56:43 PM »

David did introduce "Summertime Blues" as from the first album and mentioned that he and Carl played the guitars on the track...at least he did at Kettering.

Not at Ravinia; they went straight into it with no intro.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 27, 2013, 07:08:16 PM »

Brian, Al and David flying by private jet to the next BAD show.

Meanwhile, some where in the US, Mike and Bruce are riding a public bus to the next Beach Boys show.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 27, 2013, 07:35:33 PM »

Brian, Al and David flying by private jet to the next BAD show.

Meanwhile, some where in the US, Mike and Bruce are riding a public bus to the next Beach Boys show.

What a small plane, almost looks smaller than the public bus!  Tongue

By the way, I was about five minutes away from the Ravinia today and am still kicking myself for not selling a kidney for a ticket. Oh well, hope some great video pops up soon.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 27, 2013, 07:41:40 PM »

I have been listening to the live album, and I would like to substantiate something the Professor said a while ago: "David marks IS the reunion." His playing is amazing; what someone called sloppy is the occasional moment when he invents, playfully, new note patterns and strums that are not on  the original records; that is, he improvises in concert and plays even some of the classic riffs that he and Carl composed and performed differently. I dismiss out of hand and absurd the critique of his play and timing. I will take his invention and improvisation over hired gun reproduction of written scores.
His singing, the occasion for my comments here, is the lone authentic source of homage to his friend Dennis. Dave has, in fact, a double burden, even in many ways greater though different from Brian's: Dave has to preserve Carl's and Dennis's art musically, vocally, spiritually, in his own playing, singing and writing.

Getcha Back is a good song that has now become great in performance; it's one of the top highlights of the live album.

The Professor also wants to note that he thinks a certain critical emotional mass is forming and that a reunion of sorts, either shows or being together on an album, will happen--just a hunch.

I've never loved David's voice, but he sings that very well, it'd be great if they'd do Forever or another of Dennis's ballads with David on lead. Maybe even Slip On Through?
Here's Dave singing Forever with the Beach Boys a few years back...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZ5NSatN8A
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: July 27, 2013, 07:45:56 PM »

The Professor also wants to note that he thinks a certain critical emotional mass is forming

Pretty sure that's heartburn.

Nice comments about Mr. Marks, I can't wait to see them do Little Bird!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 27, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »

OP, did you get tickets for the greek? I never followed it though; did you have to buy a subscription to a certain # of shows? Has anyone else in the LA branch of SSMB got tickets?

I'l tell the professor to take a bicarbonate of soda.

The Professor also wants to note that he thinks a certain critical emotional mass is forming

Pretty sure that's heartburn.

Nice comments about Mr. Marks, I can't wait to see them do Little Bird!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: July 27, 2013, 07:52:42 PM »

I delayed a bit, but then bought the best seats I could! I can't wait! The reports are driving me mad with jealousy and I'm wondering why I didn't pretend to be visiting NJ family to go to a show or two out east.

I'm sure they will announce more fall dates shortly, they'll want to do the new material more than just once at the Greek... which really sounds like it's going to be something special.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 07:55:38 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 27, 2013, 08:01:37 PM »

Very nice performance from David.  And what the professor says is true, in many ways he is carrying the torch for both Dennis and Carl. He was very close to both of them, and I think he sort of wanted to be Dennis when he was young. I imagine a lot of guys wanted to be cool like that.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
zachrwolfe
« Reply #294 on: July 27, 2013, 08:02:37 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:53:17 PM by zatch » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: July 27, 2013, 08:03:46 PM »

Ooo, that's a good idea. Probyn and Mertens blowing woozy, Dramamine notes.
Nicko1234
« Reply #296 on: July 27, 2013, 08:05:16 PM »

Al shared that picture and wrote "Have you ever been in airplane Wink ".

Either I'm reading way too much into it or BAD is playing Loop De Loop.

You`re reading too much into it.  Grin
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: July 27, 2013, 08:06:05 PM »

I'm forming a PAC to ram this suggestion through.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #298 on: July 27, 2013, 08:07:05 PM »

Very nice performance from David.  And what the professor says is true, in many ways he is carrying the torch for both Dennis and Carl. He was very close to both of them, and I think he sort of wanted to be Dennis when he was young. I imagine a lot of guys wanted to be cool like that.
We sure did! Grin
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: July 27, 2013, 08:09:15 PM »

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx