gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:32:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BAD Tour/Setlist '13  (Read 72094 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 26, 2013, 05:23:05 AM »

Can anyone report on attendance?  I was told that sales were slow but I am hearing dates so far are near or at capacity,

The show last night in Kettering looked pretty packed!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Gohi
« Reply #251 on: July 26, 2013, 05:32:05 AM »

Brian seemed to be in a good mood last night.

"Let's all go to McDonald's and get some hamburgers!"
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 26, 2013, 05:58:52 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 26, 2013, 06:57:42 AM »

Brian seemed to be in a good mood last night.

"Let's all go to McDonald's and get some hamburgers!"

That was definitely my favorite part of the whole show.
 LOL

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 26, 2013, 07:22:14 AM »

Yeah, my girlfriend looked at me like, what was that all about?

But I have to say, there were a few spots Brian or someone missed their cue on lead vocal, very noticeable and Catch a Wave. I kinda cringed as they were singing H&V and I could tell by the way Brian was holding his hand that he wanted the spotlight out of his eyes and during one of the last parts he stopped singing and said "can you turn that light off" or something like that. I woulda felt dumb if I were light guy.

PS, while the jerk security got after me about the filming on my phone, I did get the audio to Summer's Gone as I just pointed my phone down and recorded…I'll try to post it later today.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 26, 2013, 07:24:16 AM »

Brian also did this thing about "how did everyone get here tonight? By airplane or by car?"
Then he said "say yeah if you got here by car."   Then that was it, they went into the next song, I thought he'd ask something else.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 26, 2013, 08:41:14 AM »

I kinda felt like there wasn't a lot of banter between the guys at the Ohio show, or maybe just from what I'd read, I was expecting more. Al made no mention of being the "heart of the Beach Boys" as I've heard he has been saying that in previous shows.

Set list change- no Let Him Run Wild nor Breakaway. I was really hoping for those two. Oh well, it was a nice kinda intimate show.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

RonBaker2003
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 26, 2013, 09:23:24 AM »

I thought the show in Kettering was really good.  I even enjoyed the mistakes--Al hitting the wrong note on his guitar for "Sloop John B".  I'm very glad "Your Imagination" was in the show...unless I'm mistaken, it may have received the biggest applause of the night.  "Our Prayer" was so incredible...indescribable actually.  "Goin' Home" was fun...not deep at all...right up there with "Goin' to the Beach".  I realized something last night that had escaped me before...during "California" there is that 'Cool, Cool Water' background going on.  It could have been David Marks just having some fun, but it sure sounded like it was meant to be there.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:25:22 AM by RonBaker2003 » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 26, 2013, 09:41:19 AM »

I thought the show in Kettering was really good.  I even enjoyed the mistakes--Al hitting the wrong note on his guitar for "Sloop John B".  I'm very glad "Your Imagination" was in the show...unless I'm mistaken, it may have received the biggest applause of the night.  "Our Prayer" was so incredible...indescribable actually.  "Goin' Home" was fun...not deep at all...right up there with "Goin' to the Beach".  I realized something last night that had escaped me before...during "California" there is that 'Cool, Cool Water' background going on.  It could have been David Marks just having some fun, but it sure sounded like it was meant to be there.

I think California has always had that "water water, get yourself in the cool clear water" which has reminded me if CCW.

I enjoyed Probyn on banjo.
The part on Little Bird with the banjo and muted trumpet (CITFOTM part) by Probyn was awesome.
Scott Bennet's lead on Sail on Sailor was great!
The way they performed Little Bird was so flipping good! As they sang"what beautiful day" parts, they kinda held up their arms in observing how much of a beautiful day it was.
Summertime Blues was an obvious highlight to me, Davs's guitar work was fantastic.
This was the closest I've ever been at a BW/BB show, I was in front row of the second section so as I stood up, I was eye level with some of the guys, mostly Al and Brian sitting at piano. It was awesome to be so close. Only problem with my seating was that I was on stage left so far that the large column was in the way of part of Nicky Wonder and Bob Lizik.
Paul Mertins always has such a good time, he's so talented. As are ALL of the band is so very talented.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 26, 2013, 10:01:53 AM »

Can anyone report on attendance?  I was told that sales were slow but I am hearing dates so far are near or at capacity,

The show last night in Kettering looked pretty packed!
Thanks. Great to hear. Sounds like I got some bum info about poor ticket sales.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 26, 2013, 01:57:55 PM »

It's great the shows are being well attend and everyone's having fun. Lord knows we won't be getting a reunion anytime soon so this will do.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 26, 2013, 03:10:27 PM »

A mostly lurker reporting...

Besides the previously mentioned stuff, it was a bit unusual when immediately after singing TWGMTR, Brian announced the next song as " we're going to do one now from our latest album". I believe the next song was actually God Only Knows. And he also told the crowd to sit down right before "I Get Around."  Huh

I was four rows from the stage and I enjoyed it more than last year's 50th concert.
MBE
« Reply #262 on: July 26, 2013, 11:36:21 PM »

Good show tonight at Ravinia. We didn't get "Break Away" or "Let Him Run Wild" but, though he did not play bass, Brian was in a great mood. Laughing a little, smiling. He got standing ovations for "Heroes" and "God Only Knows". Al sang great and wore the white suit. David did a great job on guitar., he brings kind of an edge to the show that Al or Brian wouldn't have without him. I enjoyed all the new things like "Little Bird", "Old Man River". "Marcella" cooked, and "Heroes and Villains" deserved the ovation it got. I did miss Mike, if not Bruce quite as much. Still it was great to see the three of them together and playing well. Being second row was pretty awesome too!
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 27, 2013, 12:29:17 AM »

Another Ravinia note - after H&V, Brian started to introduce the next song while we were still cheering.  Al interrupted Brian and told him that he should let us finishing showing our appreciation.  Then to us, he said something like, "How about the greatest songwriter of all time!" and we all went crazy.  I thought that was cute. 

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 27, 2013, 02:53:49 AM »

God I hope they come to Australia! It sounds like they are cooking.
MBE
« Reply #265 on: July 27, 2013, 03:34:12 AM »

It really is a good show.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 27, 2013, 03:41:10 AM »

I just want to say, and this isn't against Brian at all, not a put down or anything, it's just how I observed him, but the way I saw him at the Kettering show, I'm VERY surprised he's still productive and is working on 3 albums. Again, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm putting him down, I love Brian from the bottom of my heart and soul and would never give him grief or crap.…and I believe he can do whatever he wants.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 27, 2013, 05:13:17 AM »

I just want to say, and this isn't against Brian at all, not a put down or anything, it's just how I observed him, but the way I saw him at the Kettering show, I'm VERY surprised he's still productive and is working on 3 albums. Again, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm putting him down, I love Brian from the bottom of my heart and soul and would never give him grief or crap.…and I believe he can do whatever he wants.

Care to elaborate on your particular observations?
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 27, 2013, 07:10:18 AM »

Brian had a great line last night when he introduced Al: "And now, I'd like to introduce our reliable friend, great singer, good personality..." And then Jeff had to actually say Al Jardine's name.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 27, 2013, 08:24:30 AM »

Well, lets put it in perspective, I am a younger fan, I saw BW open for Paul Simon in 2002 BWPS LIVE in 2004, 2012 50th anniversary show in NJ, and then this show. I think back to the other shows and he just seemed so energetic, hand motioning, more banter, and a little more enthusiasm. I felt that wasn't the case on Thursday night.
Now don't get me wrong, adding little vocal bites of his own that may not be on the record, I will take BW anyway he wants to present himself, I never want to take it for granted.
But anyways, my observations just seemed like either he was tired or his mind was somewhere else. The aforementioned lyrical mess ups at the beginning are understandable…I just don't want Brian to be like he was in the later mid to late 70s, like a trained bear and everyone's looking in on him, waiting for the next trick.

Again, if I come across as sounding like a jerk, I apologize, it's just the love I have for this man that I'd like to see what's best for him AND what he wants.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:39:52 PM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

MBE
« Reply #270 on: July 27, 2013, 08:27:13 AM »

Well, lets put it in perspective, I am a younger fan, I saw BW open for Paul Simon in 2000, BWPS LIVE in 2004, 2012 50th anniversary show in NJ, and then this show. I think back to the other shows and he just seemed so energetic, hand motioning, more banter, and a little more enthusiasm. I felt that wasn't the case on Thursday night.
Now don't get me wrong, adding little vocal bites of his own that may not be on the record, I will take BW anyway he wants to present himself, I never want to take it for granted.
But anyways, my observations just seemed like either he was tired or his mind was somewhere else. The aforementioned lyrical mess ups at the beginning are understandable…I just don't want Brian to be like he was in the later mid to late 70s, like a trained bear and everyone's looking in on him, waiting for the next trick.

Again, if I come across as sounding like a jerk, I apologize, it's just the love I have for this man that I'd like to see what's best for him AND what he wants.
Glad I caught him on a better night because he was so not the "caged bear". Never saw him smile so much as last night.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 27, 2013, 08:43:33 AM »

Since I live in Highland Park, how could I not go over to Ravinia?  Well I would have gone anywhere in the area to see this, but it's nice to have the show in my backyard.  I enjoyed the show, but I though C50 was on a different level - you really have to have Mike too.  I like that Brian's band tends to be more featured with him than on C50, but last year was just something really special having all the boys together along with a better production and longer setlist.  That being said, I enjoyed the show overall.  I noticed that I was right by Joe Thomas too, but he left before I could say something to him. Grin

The highlight for me (and even my not always into the BB girlfriend) was Little Bird.  It made me want to hear so many more deep tracks from the post SMiLE era, especially Dennis tracks.  Before Little Bird, David told a fun story of when he fell out of a tree and broke his arm.  Dennis wanted to know which tree he fell out of, and then proceeded to cut the tree down as if the tree hurt David!  Girl Don't Tell Me was another highlight, as was the Ol' Man River/Cottonfields medley.  I though Al's voice was great on some songs, but then he really didn't sound very good on California Saga.  Sail On Sailor, Marcella and Darlin' were killer all in a row.  Just a thought - I think the BB and Brian miss an opportunity to get more people into the more obscure material by not always telling the audience what year or album a song is from.  Marcella is a perfect example of a great track from an otherwise unknown album to a casual fan.  However, I was happy to hear Al introduce California Saga and Sail On Sailor as tracks from Holland - so sometimes they get it right.  Summers Gone was a very cool surprise encore - I was not expecting it.  Brian was pretty typical overall.  Some songs he was into, some he was off.  H&V got the first true standing ovation of the night which was a pleasant surprise.  All in all it was what I expected, C50 scaled back.  I would have LOVED to hear Breakaway, it's one of my favorite songs.  Oh well.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: July 27, 2013, 08:49:25 AM »

I dig what you're saying about the obscurer material, Ram4...conversely, I think some of the other tunes they should have some kind of intro -- particularly "Summertime Blues"...because in many of these venues you have people who go just to go and don't really care who the performer is. They may hear "Summertime Blues" and think "Well, they're doing that song because they're a summer band" as opposed to "Hey, that's a song they did on their first album, and they have the guy who sang lead on it!"

Then there was this at the concert:
BRIAN: Now we're gonna do a song off my 1988 solo album...
ME: Woohoo!!!
BRIAN: I mean my 1998 solo album...
ME: Aw, crap.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
RonBaker2003
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 27, 2013, 09:08:03 AM »

David did introduce "Summertime Blues" as from the first album and mentioned that he and Carl played the guitars on the track...at least he did at Kettering.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 27, 2013, 09:58:20 AM »

David did a great job on guitar., he brings kind of an edge to the show that Al or Brian wouldn't have without him.

David's guitar playing was probably the "lowlight" of the show for me. His solos didn't add to the songs or impress the crowd. Paul Von Mertins' sax playing, on the other hand, was out of this world.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 10:03:33 AM by Miss Amanda Jones » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx