gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:26:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BAD Tour/Setlist '13  (Read 72079 times)
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 22, 2013, 12:21:07 PM »

I like how Brian forgot David's name  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
atroxi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 22, 2013, 12:37:14 PM »

Video here... not real clear sound or video, but has some cool parts.  Small snippet of Dave doing Little Bird which was kick ass!

http://youtu.be/dCG1Ja-G5zA

...and even more impressive, the back of my head at the top of the video.   LOL

I'm the guy looking down at his phone trying to rid himself of a migraine.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 22, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »

Video here... not real clear sound or video, but has some cool parts.  Small snippet of Dave doing Little Bird which was kick ass!

http://youtu.be/dCG1Ja-G5zA
Seeing them perform "Little Bird" made my day. 3D

It's 2013 and Brian along with Al and Dave and a stellar backing band perform a Dennis tune that hasn't been played live in 40+ years. It's a small miracle.
mcgrupp
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 22, 2013, 01:47:30 PM »

Here is a public link to some photos of the AC show - you don't need a FB account to view them:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152089750957942.1073741826.833472941&type=1&l=3d0e45c620

And then here are my semi-rambling show notes:

soundcheck - there is a lot to say, if you want to hear samples of it please pm me. 

meet and greet - they sold a lot of these, I would say about 200... basically it was an assembly line photo.  They did smile for every photo... we were also given a cheap t-shirt and photo, but it appears the photos may not have actually been signed by brian.  They have emailed us asking for mailing addresses to get better quality photos in the mail.  The only reason I like the meet and greet is b/c of the soundcheck access and the amazing seats, I probably wouldn't do it again, but it's nice to get a photo w/ the legend too I suppose

Show notes:

The security up front was asking people to sit down during most of the first set.  During the very beginning, Paul Mertens expressed a very visible reaction to the notion of making people stay seated at a concert... and attempted to get the crowd even more fired up.  It was strange b/c brian called him over and (likely) asked him to cut it out.  Even Brian himself started motioning for people to sit down during the first song or two.  It was all a little distracting and I had a hard time focusing on the show until a few songs in.

The instrumental mix up front was pretty decent but the vocal mix was terrible.  Jeff was up WAY too high (signal almost so loud it was clipping) and Al was a bit too high as well.  It was very difficult to hear Brian up front.  I don't know if we were just in a bad spot, or if the monitor mix was cutting in but I verified that it sounded LOADS better in the back near the soundboard.  Oh well - I guess every seat has it's tradeoffs.

It was evident in the soundcheck that they were still "learning" new things and making changes to some of the arrangements.  It was pretty cool to see that in person and in spite of the first show sometimes being an addl rehearsal, it was neat to see them take some chances.  I was a little disappointed that Dave Marks wasn't playing consistent lead during the show.  I guess it makes sense since he was featured as a guest, but he was more prominent in the 50th tour imo.  Dave was featured on a number of tunes and took some good solos but in general he was playing rhythm for a lot of the show.  I was watching closely to see if he'd play the doubled up lead line on dance, dance, dance and he didn't but I could tell he was thinking about trying it!  Maybe in the next few shows.

In my room and surfer girl kinda went together well and was when I finally felt like I could get used to dancing in my seat.  I know some people like to sit and observe the show w/o too much moving around, but I am not one of them.  I would have liked to been on my feet the entire time even during the slow tunes to rock back and forth or something, either way, it was cool b/c I was so happy to be there and just enjoy the show.

Don't worry baby was typical but as one of my personal favorites don't mind seeing Jeff take the lead there.  Then I kissed her.... Al couldn't remember if it was performed by the Crystals or the Ronettes asking the crowd which it was - honestly I like the original almost better than be my baby so always thrilled they keep this on the list.  Al did a good lead.

Old man river was a little rough harmonically, they did it a few times during soundcheck.. the transition to cottonfields was pretty cool though and during the show itself Al NAILED the delivery.  It was a personal highlight of the night for me.  Little Bird - I may be a bit of a casual fan compared to a lot of people on this board, all I knew is that it was a rare bustout, and a very bizarre interesting tune.  I've got the audio from the soundcheck.  It was neat to see them do something that obviously would be a bit outside the expected songlist. I need to listen to this more to decide what I really think, but at the time I remember thinking it was odd in a good way.

Our Prayer was great but the transition to H&V was not quite as seamless as I might have hoped.  I thought they were going to do something else for a minute until H&V actually kicked in.  I don't know for sure but I thought Brian pretty much carried the lead on this all the time... Jeff had to help out and sing some of the verses on this and a few others from my recollection.  Either way, H&V is one of my all time favorites so seeing it was great.

Marcella was another one where I thought Jeff sang more than I expected him to.  I wish I knew if Brian was loud and clear in the back of the venue during this and H&V but I could barely hear him on it.  He was however, doing the "hand motions" on this and Sail on Sailor.

Do You Wanna Dance? is when the energy in the room shifted.  I actually went to get a drink right at the beginning and by the time I got to the soundboard, the whole venue was on their feet (finally!)  It was cool to see people decide to go for it and the energy persisted through the end of the set w/ I get around (no one sat down).

There was a time in the set after one song where Brian said something like, "do you like his guitar?" when people yelled yeah he straight yelled back "DO YOU LIKE MY PIANO?"  people cheered and it was the best moment of banter in the set imo.

Second set:

As noted Al mentioned how they were the heart of the beach boys even though they may not be touring under the name..  I think every single person in the room was on their feet cheering for that, then the guitar came unplugged or something and the feedback was attributed to Mike Love in some fashion.  People generally sat and stood at will during the second set depending on the song.. good vibe and the crowd was drawn into the show more and more as the night went on.

Summertime Blues was cool, I like when Dave sings and it was a good time.  Your Imagination was a little weak.  I was thrilled to see TWGMTR - love the song, it has an awesome arrangement... try playing it on the piano and you will see how many chords their really are.. Seriously though, this is a beach boys song right, and Mike and Bruce ("the beach boys") aren't doing it to my knowledge... was glad brian's guys didn't shy away from a complicated song.  Would have liked to see stronger Brian on Sail on Sailor.  Please remember it may have been different in the back, but I think of Sail on Sailor as one that Brian would be taking the lead on, and in general wish he had sang more.  It's possible he wasn't having a great day but I haven't seen enough of him lately to know. First gig etc etc... hard to say.  He was WAY more involved in London last September on a lot of the tracks.

Encore was great - Al on Rhonda is really like stepping back into the time when it was recorded and Brian getting up w/ the bass is always cool!

All in all, it was an awesome show that will likely improve if they continue to play.  Loved being so close that I could watch all the musicians and was thrilled that they had two full sets even for a show that started at 9PM.  People were into the experience whether they were casual or serious fans from what I could see.  The fact that I can see Brian Wilson w/ such amazing musicians and Al and Dave at this stage in the game is really something I'm not taking for granted so it's fair to say I had a blast and am going to head out to LA in October.  Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to respond or PM me about the soundcheck.  best wishes friends

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: July 22, 2013, 01:54:26 PM »

Thanks for that, very interesting. Did they rehearse anything in the soundcheck not in the show? WHAAAAAAAAAAT. Was Al begging on hands and knees for Don't Fight the Sea?
mcgrupp
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 22, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »

Sure thing - As far as I know everything in the soundcheck was played.  They were running tunes before they let us in though so I can't be sure
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 22, 2013, 02:08:24 PM »

I like how Brian forgot David's name  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Man, I really can't tell if that was just a case of Brian cracking a joke or not. I seriously hope it was! Shocked
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 22, 2013, 02:26:41 PM »

Is Joe Thomas involved in this tour? I'm just curious, since they played "Imagination." It's not one of my favorite songs, but it is associated with Joe.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 22, 2013, 02:27:54 PM »

Is Joe Thomas involved in this tour? I'm just curious, since they played "Imagination." It's not one of my favorite songs, but it is associated with Joe.
Why would the producer of an album be involved in a small tour during which they play only a single song off said album? Wink Besides, Brian likes it and it has been popping up regularly at Brian's solo shows in the past 10-15 years.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:35:34 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 25, 2013, 02:26:27 AM »

Should I be bring something to get signed at the OHIO BAD show tonight? I don't have VIP nor meet and greet but I did read one person say that they got Al and Dave's autograph and they didn't have VIP…has anyone else heard more about this?

I was thinking of bringing my TLOS record, just in case I see some of the backing band, I was thinking of bringing the Surfer Girl album for Dave to sign…now it just leaves something for Al to sign, I was thinking of bringing my Friends Lp, the MIU album, or something else, I pretty much have all their albums on vinyl, just trying to pick the one in the best condition and that I associate Al with mostly.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 25, 2013, 02:29:10 AM »

Should I be bring something to get signed at the OHIO BAD show tonight? I don't have VIP nor meet and greet but I did read one person say that they got Al and Dave's autograph and they didn't have VIP…has anyone else heard more about this?

I was thinking of bringing my TLOS record, just in case I see some of the backing band, I was thinking of bringing the Surfer Girl album for Dave to sign…now it just leaves something for Al to sign, I was thinking of bringing my Friends Lp, the MIU album, or something else, I pretty much have all their albums on vinyl, just trying to pick the one in the best condition and that I associate Al with mostly.
I'd say bring your stuff, one may always get lucky. Get to the stage right after the concert and yell the loudest, intercept the principals & band at the bus etc. - weird things happen at a concert. Smiley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 25, 2013, 02:30:34 AM »

Oh! And I forgot to ask, I heard about Wilson Phillips opening at the Michigan show, was that advertised? Or did if just happen as a surprise? Because if so, it'd be awesome.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Nicko1234
« Reply #237 on: July 25, 2013, 02:41:48 AM »

Oh! And I forgot to ask, I heard about Wilson Phillips opening at the Michigan show, was that advertised? Or did if just happen as a surprise? Because if so, it'd be awesome.

It was mentioned on this board a few months ago.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 25, 2013, 06:07:12 AM »

Are they doing any other shows?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 25, 2013, 06:51:28 AM »

Who knows. Maybe their touring schedules overlapped. Maybe Wilson Phillips are along for a couple of gigs. Let 'em suprise you. Smiley

I'd love to see Brian sing "In My Room" with his daughters.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: July 25, 2013, 09:44:02 AM »

Who knows. Maybe their touring schedules overlapped. Maybe Wilson Phillips are along for a couple of gigs. Let 'em suprise you. Smiley

IIRC they recorded a version of "In my room" on their "California"-album with just Brian, Wilson Phillips and piano

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 25, 2013, 10:23:08 AM »

IIRC they recorded a version of "In my room" on their "California"-album with just Brian, Wilson Phillips and piano
Right. And there is another video clip of them singing "In My Room" for some documentary or TV Special or something. Can't remember exactly, I saw it years ago.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 25, 2013, 08:31:35 PM »

Here's Old Man River/Cotton Fields live in Ohio. I don't have the intro nor the ending, sorry I'm lame like that.
You can read my description on the video as to why:

http://youtu.be/hOJWkwvhY_U

~post of the century~
-Mikie

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: July 25, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »

What a fun addition to the setlist, go Al!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 25, 2013, 08:43:53 PM »

Can anyone report on attendance?  I was told that sales were slow but I am hearing dates so far are near or at capacity,

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 25, 2013, 08:57:32 PM »

LET'S GO, M0THERFUCKERS

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Moz from Oz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 25, 2013, 09:20:59 PM »

Here's Old Man River/Cotton Fields live in Ohio. I don't have the intro nor the ending, sorry I'm lame like that.

Al sounds fab. The crowd are really into aren't they ?
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 25, 2013, 09:56:55 PM »

I'm not sure if they were conscious!
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 25, 2013, 10:12:31 PM »

I'm not sure if they were conscious!

They were INTO it in Pittsburgh!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hGq8YOhD-I&feature=youtu.be

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
carolinablonde
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 26, 2013, 04:11:00 AM »

"In My Room" in Michigan with Wilson Phillips (posted on Carnie Wilson's Twitter feed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcvxR6gtAWA
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx