gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:18:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BAD Tour/Setlist '13  (Read 72108 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 21, 2013, 07:06:09 PM »

Believe me, I'm in no way a "Brianista" (although I am aware I come off that way at times) and having never seen Brian or the Beach Boys live, I was expecting to just go to the concert for the experience, having a feeling I would never get another chance to see them all together live (and I was right).  But I was blown away and was very impressed by Brian's performance.  I didn't see a deteriorated pop musician going through the motions which is what I expected, I saw a soulful man with a beautifully rough voice singing his heart out on some of his greatest songs.  And I hope he announces more tour dates because I really want to experience that again.

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 21, 2013, 07:08:31 PM »

I'm not saying Brian's solo career is wonderful, but "Your Imagination" is terrible? Really? This coming from the guy who pooped his pants over "Stowaway" and "Spring Vacation"? You're an odd guy professor.

I was really disappointed by "Your Imagination" on record, but live it was really light on its feet -- a classic Brian Wilson tune which only needed a sympathetic arrangement.  Kind of like "Love And Mercy" was transformed by stripping it down...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Nicko1234
« Reply #202 on: July 21, 2013, 07:12:41 PM »

I think most people did enjoy Brian's work on the C50 tour. But he is a highly variable, sensitive and mentally ill dude. A vocal minority would prefer he stayed at home and not made them feel awkward.

Roll Eyes

There is a difference between not wanting to feel awkward and not wanting to watch a man perform when he obviously has no interest in being there whatsoever. With Brian`s shows it all depends on how lucky or unlucky you are.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 21, 2013, 07:29:41 PM »

guys, drop this eye rolling thang. its BAD!!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
If Mars had life on it...
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 21, 2013, 07:47:04 PM »

I was there last night and had an incredible time!  I thought Brian was more engaged than any of the 4 C50 appearances I went to last year.  I love the guy, getting to see him perform this day and age  is a total treat.  Absolutely magical experience, if you can go, do yourself a favor and go see this incredible show.  Band was fantastic!  Couldn't believe when I heard Old Man River, always a personal favorite of mine. 
zachrwolfe
« Reply #205 on: July 21, 2013, 07:58:28 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:55:05 PM by zatch » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 21, 2013, 10:05:19 PM »

Roll Eyes

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 21, 2013, 10:06:53 PM »

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 21, 2013, 10:13:18 PM »

Wow! Ol' Man River...

Well, guess I'm going to have to go for broke and seeing him this Saturday!  Grin

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 21, 2013, 10:31:37 PM »

Roll Eyes

Triple Badd Brian, Al, Dave

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

And throw in a  Shocked for good measure.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 21, 2013, 10:53:51 PM »

dude, you honor me by remembering my comments on those songs. I stand by them.though I must admit that I am very sour on hearing almost anything now that is not the beloved Beach Boys themselves, so a Brian's song, especially from the landy era is not going to do much for me. I did just hear sloop which sounded pretty good mainly because somehow Jeff was restrained. perhaps al told him, hey let us do it like we did on the record it worked in Pet Sounds with just me and brjan so maybe we can try that huh? I am referring to the first famous harmony section where we only hear Alan and Brian on the record

uote author=sweetdudejim link=topic=15725.msg385146#msg385146 date=1374452114]
Your Imagination is a terrible song. . . . As for TWGMTR, it sounds great every time you can't hear Jeff, but beyond those 2 seconds, it's drunk karaoke again. . .
I will not pay to hear JF drown out the BB. . . .just terrible. I miss the BB after seeing this. . . . . .

Wow!  Shocked

I hope there will be a vid posted of "Little Bird".

I'm not saying Brian's solo career is wonderful, but "Your Imagination" is terrible? Really? This coming from the guy who pooped his pants over "Stowaway" and "Spring Vacation"? You're an odd guy professor.
[/quote]
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 21, 2013, 11:01:53 PM »

Roll Eyes

I SAID DROP IT.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 22, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »

A very entertaining, thought provoking show in Pittsburgh tonight. Having Brian joined with Al and Dave made this much, much more than another solo Brian show. Much much more than another spin through the hits. I'll add some notes when I wake up on Monday.

I shot vids of Ol' Man River/Cottonfields, Pet Sounds and Summer's Gone. Shot through a standard point n shoot Samsung camera, audio's iffey but I think you'll be pleased (kicking myself why I didn't also shoot Little Bird - very cool rendition with Dave). I'll post 'em on Youtube and get you the url's tomorrow.

Photos as well coming.

Ladies and Gentlemen...Pittsburgh welcomes...the BEACH, ahhh I mean...Brian, Al, and DAVE!

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: July 22, 2013, 12:46:27 AM »

During dinner Saturday, it was neat that Darian and his party, and Dave and his party, all dined across from our table. Didn't want to interrupt either but being in the same restaurant was pretty cool; our waiter told us Bria and his family were in the night before and he used the pseudo name "Vito Salutation" for the reservation....said everyone got a good laugh out of it when they found out it was really Brian.

Whoah, as a major doo wop fan, and knowing that Brian really digs that type of music as well, I'll bet a hundred bucks that he or someone close to him chose that name thinking of THESE guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qujpmdx8H3I

How cool is that? :-) I'm gonna be Carl Passion next time I book a table.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 22, 2013, 03:56:05 AM »

During dinner Saturday, it was neat that Darian and his party, and Dave and his party, all dined across from our table. Didn't want to interrupt either but being in the same restaurant was pretty cool; our waiter told us Bria and his family were in the night before and he used the pseudo name "Vito Salutation" for the reservation....said everyone got a good laugh out of it when they found out it was really Brian.

Whoah, as a major doo wop fan, and knowing that Brian really digs that type of music as well, I'll bet a hundred bucks that he or someone close to him chose that name thinking of THESE guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qujpmdx8H3I

How cool is that? :-) I'm gonna be Carl Passion next time I book a table.

Nice catch!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 22, 2013, 08:15:17 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CovyvgMZPc

Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: July 22, 2013, 08:22:58 AM »

Hell of a show in Pittsburgh last night!! I was the younger dude with long hair kneeling down behind the front row and eventually hanging over the guardrail. I singing everything, making eye contact and making Al laugh by holding my fingers over my nose to impersonate ML! During the intermission I talked to Probyn for a little asking if they were going to do anything off of LY and he said "No, we used to do the Night is So Young". For idiotic purposes I said what about "Wouldn't it be nice (To Live Again?)" and he had a look like "Wtf, lol.." and I was screaming THE BOX SET, MADE IN CALIFORNIA?!?!?! He ran backstage laughing and saying "I don't know!!" lol. Some girl was obsessed with Jeff and HAD to get his autograph... to each their own. I yelled at Scott to get me the set list and he promised after the show, which I doubted. Well, after the gig he was LOOKING FOR ME, good thing I was up on the guardrail and he came to me and said to every one "He screamed the loudest!" and gave me the set. He threw the other one to which I did a barrel roll and almost took out a woman...but I got it, lol. Two set list, talking to the band and eye contact with Brian, Al and Dave..wow. I was very close, almost in Brian's face so a few times we did exchange glances at each other but it was like he was looking right through me. Am I vain enough to think BW was acknowledging me in particular? No. But I was singing every song, going wild and screaming their names, so who knows. Surreal.

Musically, I don't think it was as tight as the C50 show but I loved the laid back vibe. A few mess ups and false starts here and there but it happens to the best of them. Brian sounded pretty good and really damn good in the 2nd set. Holy sh*t... when they did Ol' Man River...Heaven. "Girl don't tell me" is a huge favorite of my girlfriend's so that was awesome too!! I loved "Your Imagination" to me, it sounded better than the record, ahem Joe Thomas. "Little Bird" was so funky amazing vocal by Dave, only thing missing was my bong."Summer's Gone" was so out of key but oh well, great tune. Would of liked to see something from LY and "Love and Mercy" to end the show but damn what an experience.

I wish they could do this forever but I really feel like Brian is getting too old to do the touring. His voice an still be great and his writing is apparently still there but when does the ride stop? I really hope I have the opportunity to see him again.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 22, 2013, 08:31:22 AM »

Hey man! That sounds fantastic! Yeah, about the BW looks, I think he's got something for the younger people going to his shows. I may be crazy, but I think he finds comfort in knowing his music is going to live forever Smiley Outside the gig at one of the shows I went to, they pulled right up to the door, and I yelled "Hey there Brian!" and he smiled and waved at me through the whole crowd! Smiley

Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: July 22, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »

I forgot to mention.. I was walking around a lot of the time saying "SMILEY SMILE MESSAGE BOARD?!" Not one response. Would of been AWESOME to meet someone there! Next time.

Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: July 22, 2013, 08:38:47 AM »

Hey man! That sounds fantastic! Yeah, about the BW looks, I think he's got something for the younger people going to his shows. I may be crazy, but I think he finds comfort in knowing his music is going to live forever Smiley Outside the gig at one of the shows I went to, they pulled right up to the door, and I yelled "Hey there Brian!" and he smiled and waved at me through the whole crowd! Smiley

It's far out to make eye contact with your #1 idol. How does that even happen?! I feel so lucky, I couldn't imagine how the people feel who actually know him! Such a presence.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 22, 2013, 08:47:26 AM »

dude, you honor me by remembering my comments on those songs. I stand by them.though I must admit that I am very sour on hearing almost anything now that is not the beloved Beach Boys themselves, so a Brian's song, especially from the landy era is not going to do much for me.

Your Imagination isn't from the Landy era. Landy departed in 1992. YI was written five years later.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 22, 2013, 09:04:28 AM »

I've seen Brian live nine times.

2000 -- Pet Sounds live show
2001 -- With Paul Simon
2004 -- Smile live show
2006 -- Pet Sounds with Al
2007 -- Greatest hits summer show
2009 -- Legendary fall tour (two shows)
2012 -- Two C50 dates

And oddly enough, my experience is very much the opposite of people who talk about Brian as an on-and-off-again live performer. Over those years, what has always struck me about Brian is how very consistent he is. He has always done full sets with encores, always tried his best with the songs he played, and always interacted with the audience. And there has nearly always been magic produced. Every audience, big and small, has been effusive and pleased.

Now, the levels of inspiration at those shows has varied widely. Brian was on fire in 2000 and 2009. He was clearly bored in 2007. The other shows fell between those two poles. But I've seen other shows -- Elton John and Billy Joel, for one -- where the two lead performers were clearly going through the motions. Yet no one would say those performers shouldn't tour. Just that they perhaps need a new setlist and a nap.

It's also clear that Brian is never going to perform a flawless live show. It ain't gonna happen. He is going to be flat, he's going to forget lines, he's going to look terrified at times. (These things will happen at both his most and least inspired shows.) And with a few exceptions, he generally isn't interested in reinterpreting his songs live. So he's going to perform song x in basically the same way in 2000 and 2004 and 2007 and 2012. It's one of the reasons he's not necessarily a great performer for hits-only tours, and why variable setlists are his friend.

Brian has gracefully ceded the limelight over the years, too, allowing the band to take a bigger role in the proceedings. I think the BAD tour is an extension of that, and I'd frankly expect that this become the standard model BW show for the future. He doesn't have to sing all the tunes, there are other front-line guys to tell stories, and he can concentrate on singing harmonies and playing piano (both of which he loves). It's a nice way to pass the baton.

These shows were never to everyone's taste, either fans or critics. Just like everything in Brian's solo career, sometimes the weight of the past seems too much for this fragile man to bear. But for many of us, there have been a host of transcendent moments, and communal experiences that we wouldn't give up for anything.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:14:47 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 22, 2013, 09:16:22 AM »

I loudly called out to Brian at the Perth C50 show when he strapped on his bass. He looked straight me with the most frightened look I've seen and it made my heart sink. I hope I get to see him again when he's in better spirits because that image of him etched in my brain is a bit disheartening to think about.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 22, 2013, 09:28:47 AM »

"Yes, he did seem a bit disconnected. "

He seemed like that last summer at the Hollywood Bowl, looked miserable.   That is the reason, along with the horrible vocals, that I will not go to see him solo anymore.  The guy is not capable of carrying a concert by himself.

If you go in to a Brian Wilson gig expecting to be riveted by his on stage theatrics then that's your problem.

If you go in expecting to hear a selection of songs from the greatest catalog in the history of music done by the man who wrote them, well expect to be entertained

This.

In 2011 I took my wife (casual BB enthusiast) to Brian's date at the Royal Festival Hall. He did the entire Gershwin record, then a full set of hits and deep cuts. She came away believing it was the best concert she'd ever been to because she didn't expect to be riveted by some stage presence...she got caught up in the music.

ALso remember that Brian *can* carry a whole concert...but it very much depends on how he is feeling that day. He suffers from mental illnesses that are well documented and his mood/condition varies a lot from day to day. I've been lucky that the two BW gigs and the C50 gig I attended....Brian was on it. But I accept that may not always be the case.

As for where he and his piano are on stage. Wherever he feels comfortable. That piano is a big security blanket, he needs it to feel comfy...I think it separates him from the crowd. If Brian needs a "security blanky" to feel comfortable and fight his stagefright then so be it. The dude can sit where he likes.
smyleysmyle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 22, 2013, 11:51:40 AM »

Long time lurker, rare poster here.  I wanted to share some pics and video from the Atlantic City show Saturday night.   GREAT show!  Mike Love was not missed and I truly mean that.  The band sounded incredible.  Brian was Brian.  Although when he warmed up a little he sounded really good.  I caught him looking at his watch several times during the 2nd set and noticed that he started missing lyrics more as the time went on.  He nearly ran off the stage when it ended, but I noticed he's walking around much better than last years BB50 show I saw.  The back surgery seems to have helped him greatly.  Foskett sounded decent too, and I'm not usually a fan of him.  He bailed Brian (and Al) out several times when they missed lines. 

Noteworthy famous people in the audience were Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere and the Raiders, and Melinda with Brian's son.  Mark Lindsay sat maybe 15 feet from me in the audience and Melinda walked through the crowd several times with Brian's son. 

I took my girlfriend who's a casual BB/Brian Wilson fan and she was absolutely floored by the musicianship of these guys.  As I sat there I couldn't help but think 1) I hope this isn't the last time I see Brian live, but I have a feeling it might be.  He's looking quite frail lately.  and 2) This is the equivalent to watching Mozart!  Here's the guy that wrote and recorded all this amazing music, live and in person.  He's got no idea how amazing he is and here he is with a dynamic band playing his creations.  It's almost surreal!

Also, I met a really cool guy named "Roger", never got his last name.  I think he lurks here.  If he sees this, shoot me a PM!

Pictures here, some are blurry.... sorry

http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/smyleysmyle/library/Brian%20Wilson%20Concert%207-20-2013

Video here... not real clear sound or video, but has some cool parts.  Small snippet of Dave doing Little Bird which was kick ass!

http://youtu.be/dCG1Ja-G5zA
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx