gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:17:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BAD Tour/Setlist '13  (Read 72106 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: July 21, 2013, 12:35:07 PM »

Would that be... THE WHITE SUIT?
Al still rocks that 1967-8 era suit.  

It suits him! (did I say that?)  LOL

I was mesmerized by the power of the white suit last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pewlx_ACPZQ

He's gotta keep that look going. Beats ponytails.

As far as "Summer's Gone" is concerned, I'm sill hoping for a "From There to Back Again"/"Pacific Coast Highway"/"Summer's Gone" medley.  Making use of Al's presence for 'FTtBA' seems to make sense, and I think that collectively, these three numbers could potentially make for a pretty spectacular part of a Brian Wilson show.

I was babbling about that in the other thread, it's a brilliant way to go and would be written up in all the reviews along with Jardine snark. Of course, in a few months they'll have the new stuff to showcase as well. But it would be great as an encore finale.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:37:24 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 21, 2013, 12:38:09 PM »

He can take center stage for "Al Jardine with Brian Wilson and David Marks" next time around, then.

My thought, exactly for Brian to be front and center between Al and Dave.  He is so far back.  

But, I saw that well-conceptualized difference as between the setlists.

The Touring Band does a lot of those other songs in the UK, such as SOSailor, so a date-specific setlist is not determinative?

Thanks to the YouTube poster.  I like Imagination, and they did a good job with TWGMTR.

The Touring Band did Good to My Baby.  This is good! Lots of variety, which, of course is the, "spice of life."

Bravo to both bands.   Wink
I would say it's stage logistics. Not practical to put Brian's big faux piano center stage. Brian is where he was for the C50. I'd say, for him, it's all about the music. Can't help but miss the front man, whats his name.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: July 21, 2013, 12:39:22 PM »

Dirk Benedict?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 21, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »

Missed the show - saw The Monkees instead. Was unwilling to travel that far, anyway.  Am I the only one that's put off by the way Al has been acting? He's always been a very classy guy, in my mind, and spouting off about how B.A.D are "The Real Beach Boys" (or however he phrased it), and making digs at Mike Love, isn't cool. He doesn't need to resort to that level. It's all just phony theatrics to me.

As far as the Brian off-to-stage-left thing, I don't get it either. It's his show. I understand the man has mental issues and stage fright. It's amazing that he's still doing this, and as far as I can tell, it's for his fans, not a cash grab. But, if I'm going to see Brian Wilson as the main attraction, why can't they ditch the white grand and put him front center???

I'd go to see the tour if it comes to my town, because it's Brian. I hope he just had some first-night jitters and gets into it as the (short) tour goes along. If he's not enjoying it, what's the point?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 21, 2013, 12:51:42 PM »

He can take center stage for "Al Jardine with Brian Wilson and David Marks" next time around, then.
My thought, exactly for Brian to be front and center between Al and Dave.  He is so far back.  

The Touring Band does a lot of those other songs in the UK, such as SOSailor, so a date-specific setlist is not determinative.

Thanks to the YouTube poster.  I like Imagination, and they did a good job with TWGMTR.

The Touring Band did Good to My Baby.  This is good! Lots of variety, which, of course is the, "spice of life."

I would say it's stage logistics. Not practical to put Brian's big faux piano center stage. Brian is where he was for the C50. I'd say, for him, it's all about the music. Can't help but miss the front man, whats his name.
Brian Wilson needs no theatrical props. He is Brian Wilson. It isn't C50.  He was fantastic in the front and center spot with his keyboard. Visually, I think it separates the three principals. Brian is the leader.  Leaders are at the front. I don't joke about the "front man." But, Mike is not there.

Brian looks "prestigious" with the big piano but he isn't with "the people" as he has been since he started as a solo artist.  Having seen him about ten times as a solo artist, he did great front and center.  

It was nice to see Melinda and his family in the audience on the YouTube !

JMHO.  
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2013, 01:00:40 PM »

Missed the show - saw The Monkees instead. Was unwilling to travel that far, anyway.  Am I the only one that's put off by the way Al has been acting? He's always been a very classy guy, in my mind, and spouting off about how B.A.D are "The Real Beach Boys" (or however he phrased it), and making digs at Mike Love, isn't cool. He doesn't need to resort to that level. It's all just phony theatrics to me.

As far as the Brian off-to-stage-left thing, I don't get it either. It's his show. I understand the man has mental issues and stage fright. It's amazing that he's still doing this, and as far as I can tell, it's for his fans, not a cash grab. But, if I'm going to see Brian Wilson as the main attraction, why can't they ditch the white grand and put him front center???

I'd go to see the tour if it comes to my town, because it's Brian. I hope he just had some first-night jitters and gets into it as the (short) tour goes along. If he's not enjoying it, what's the point?
I think Al's remarks last night were in deference to Brian. Though, I suppose Mike's decision to go on without them is sticking in his crawl a little. I thought it was funny though, when he blamed Mike for his amp malfunction directly after making the "heart & soul" comment. Face it, without Brian, they would have all been, as Patton once said "shoveling sh*t in Louisiana".

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 21, 2013, 01:05:26 PM »

My thought, exactly for Brian to be front and center between Al and Dave.  He is so far back. 

The Touring Band does a lot of those other songs in the UK, such as SOSailor, so a date-specific setlist is not determinative.

Thanks to the YouTube poster.  I like Imagination, and they did a good job with TWGMTR.

The Touring Band did Good to My Baby.  This is good! Lots of variety, which, of course is the, "spice of life."

Bravo to both bands.   Wink
Brian Wilson needs no theatrical props. He is Brian Wilson. It isn't C50.  He was fantastic in the front and center spot with his keyboard. Visually, I think it separates the three principals. Brian is the leader.  Leaders are at the front. I don't joke about the "front man." But, Mike is not there.

Brian looks "prestigious" with the big piano but he isn't with "the people" as he has been since he started as a solo artist.  Having seen him about ten times as a solo artist, he did great front and center. 

JMHO. 
I was there and Brian and his fake baby grand were right up front. Stretched across the stage, the four principle singers were lined up as such, Jeff, Brian, Al & David.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2013, 01:33:48 PM »

Brian Wilson needs no theatrical props. He is Brian Wilson. It isn't C50.  He was fantastic in the front and center spot with his keyboard. Visually, I think it separates the three principals. Brian is the leader.  Leaders are at the front. I don't joke about the "front man." But, Mike is not there.

Brian looks "prestigious" with the big piano but he isn't with "the people" as he has been since he started as a solo artist.  Having seen him about ten times as a solo artist, he did great front and center.  

JMHO.  

While what Brian wants versus what he does is very debatable, I would imagine in this particular case Brian is using whatever keyboard and stage setup he wants. It doesn't seem far off on stage in the pics and videos I'm seeing, and I like how all three of the "BAD" lineup are up front. Coolness as far as I'm concerned.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RonBaker2003
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 21, 2013, 01:40:19 PM »

Thanks for posting the YouTube links.  "Your Imagination" was great.  Loved it.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 21, 2013, 02:02:36 PM »

I don't know how I feel about Scott Bennett singing "Sail On Sailor," I mean I'm sure Scott sounds great on it but Brian really made that song his own last year.

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 21, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »

Your Imagination is a terrible song. . . . As for TWGMTR, it sounds great every time you can't hear Jeff, but beyond those 2 seconds, it's drunk karaoke again. . .
I will not pay to hear JF drown out the BB. . . .just terrible. I miss the BB after seeing this. . . . . .

Wow!  Shocked

I hope there will be a vid posted of "Little Bird".
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 02:12:04 PM by the professor » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 21, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »

I don't know how I feel about Scott Bennett singing "Sail On Sailor," I mean I'm sure Scott sounds great on it but Brian really made that song his own last year.
Scott did it justice last night. Haven't we been complaining about Brian carrying too much of the load on lead vocals? I also thought Jeff did a nice job on Let Him Run Wild, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 21, 2013, 02:43:56 PM »

Your Imagination is a terrible song. . . . As for TWGMTR, it sounds great every time you can't hear Jeff, but beyond those 2 seconds, it's drunk karaoke again. . .
I will not pay to hear JF drown out the BB. . . .just terrible. I miss the BB after seeing this. . . . . .

Wow!  Shocked

Your Imagination is a great song! And, it's quite possible it's the sound of the video from the phone that makes it sound like Jeff is dominant. It always sounds different when you're actually there.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2013, 04:06:41 PM »

Glad to see Al got more leads than first indicated. He's the guy I'd like to see. I would never pay to see Brian again, mostly for the reasons people stated here, but I've seen him before. If a person hasn't seen Brian, I'd recommend seeing him at least once. I don't mind Al's bitterness. He's an old guy and entitled to tell Mike Love to get off of his lawn.
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 21, 2013, 04:09:01 PM »

Sloop John B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4qjvJQssMs
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »

My wife and I spent the weekend in AC and were fortunate enough to catch the show. We had seats towards the back, directly in front of Mary Ann Jardine in the audio area, but the seats and views were excellent. Small room for the most part and raised in the back. It was a great show; Al really shined, though Brian seemed a bit off and out of it some. The song selection was good, loved Dave's Little Bird, and Old Man River was cool. Al sang really well too, and interacted with the crowd quite a bit. During dinner Saturday, it was neat that Darian and his party, and Dave and his party, all dined across from our table. Didn't want to interrupt either but being in the same restaurant was pretty cool; our waiter told us Bria and his family were in the night before and he used the pseudo name "Vito Salutation" for the reservation....said everyone got a good laugh out of it when they found out it was really Brian.

Good show, very much enjoyed it; audience loved it! Got many many great pics too.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 21, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »

Haha, "Vito Salulation"

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2013, 05:15:14 PM »

Wow!  Shocked

I'm not saying Brian's solo career is wonderful, but "Your Imagination" is terrible? Really? This coming from the guy who pooped his pants over "Stowaway" and "Spring Vacation"? You're an odd guy professor.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 21, 2013, 05:16:18 PM »

Glad to see Al got more leads than first indicated. He's the guy I'd like to see. I would never pay to see Brian again, mostly for the reasons people stated here, but I've seen him before. If a person hasn't seen Brian, I'd recommend seeing him at least once.

It's interesting, when I saw the Beach Boys last year, I thought the songs Brian sang lead on were the highlights of the show.  I guess I'm in the minority there.  Or maybe I just saw him on a really good night because I thought he sounded great.

Nicko1234
« Reply #194 on: July 21, 2013, 05:27:27 PM »

Some random thoughts...

I`m glad that most seem to have enjoyed the show but I`m relieved that I didn`t attend this one. I`ve seen a Brian show where he clearly didn`t want to be there and his band had to introduce the songs for him and it was painful to watch. The only concert I have ever been to where I left before the end.

Meet and greets are a pretty unpleasant modern phenomenon.

I agree with those suggesting that From There to Back Again would be a great choice for the setlist.

The sound quality of those youtube clips isn`t really good enough to judge them on but personally I think they could choose easier songs for Brian to sing. Too much Jeff on those...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 21, 2013, 05:36:01 PM »

Some random thoughts...

I`m glad that most seem to have enjoyed the show but I`m relieved that I didn`t attend this one. I`ve seen a Brian show where he clearly didn`t want to be there and his band had to introduce the songs for him and it was painful to watch. The only concert I have ever been to where I left before the end.

Meet and greets are a pretty unpleasant modern phenomenon.

I agree with those suggesting that From There to Back Again would be a great choice for the setlist.

The sound quality of those youtube clips isn`t really good enough to judge them on but personally I think they could choose easier songs for Brian to sing. Too much Jeff on those...
This kind of tour is great for Brian, as he really doesn't like being the frontman. This gives all 4 of the front guys a chance share the frontman role. As for Jeff, you'll never hear Brian doing his old parts in these shows. Jeff is the old Brian at the shows, while Brian is the new Carl and Mike on lead vocals, and Mike on the background vocals.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Nicko1234
« Reply #196 on: July 21, 2013, 05:55:30 PM »

This kind of tour is great for Brian, as he really doesn't like being the frontman. This gives all 4 of the front guys a chance share the frontman role. As for Jeff, you'll never hear Brian doing his old parts in these shows. Jeff is the old Brian at the shows, while Brian is the new Carl and Mike on lead vocals, and Mike on the background vocals.

That depends on the choice of songs though doesn`t it. I wouldn`t expect Brian to be singing falsetto but he could still easily sing his original lead from Caroline No for example. I presume he did sing Please Let me Wonder unaided. I personally think Brian sounds a lot better on some of his original leads than when he is singing some of the Mike songs. Al would be a better choice for those.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #197 on: July 21, 2013, 06:13:43 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:55:13 PM by zatch » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 21, 2013, 06:48:08 PM »

Glad to see Al got more leads than first indicated. He's the guy I'd like to see. I would never pay to see Brian again, mostly for the reasons people stated here, but I've seen him before. If a person hasn't seen Brian, I'd recommend seeing him at least once.

It's interesting, when I saw the Beach Boys last year, I thought the songs Brian sang lead on were the highlights of the show.  I guess I'm in the minority there.  Or maybe I just saw him on a really good night because I thought he sounded great.

I think most people did enjoy Brian's work on the C50 tour. But he is a highly variable, sensitive and mentally ill dude. A vocal minority would prefer he stayed at home and not made them feel awkward.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 21, 2013, 06:56:22 PM »

I am a big fan, but want to hear quality vocals during a concert I pay for, nothing more than that.  I enjoyed the Hollywood Bowl show, but thought Brian's leads were not up to snuff. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx