gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:30:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BAD Tour/Setlist '13  (Read 72078 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2013, 08:23:30 AM »

Setlist courtesy of a poster over on the BW.com board. I'm sure the comments and details will be expanded upon here:

Cal Girls
Catch A Wave
Dance Dance Dance
Girl Don't Tell Me
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry baby (Jeff)
Then I Kissed Her (Al)
Please Let Me Wonder
Old Man River/Cottonfields (Al)
Little Bird! (David Lead vocal)
Our Prayer
Heroes & Villain's
Breakaway
Marcella
Do You Wanna Dance?
I Get Around

break

Do It Again
Summertime Blues (David lead)
Your Imagination
Let Him Run Wild (Jeff)
Goin Home
That's Why God Made The Radio
California Saga (Al)
Sail on Sailor (Scott Lead!)
Darlin (darian lead)
Pet Sounds
Wouldn't It Be Nice (Jeff)
Sloop John B
God Only Knows
Good Vibes

encores

all Summer Long
Rhonda (Al)
Barbara Ann (Brian dons Bas)
Surfin USA
Fun Fun Fun'
Summers Gone

Rock On!
Rich Meli

http://brianwilson.websitetoolbox.com/post/Set-List-AC-720-6436448

Inclusion of Our Prayer, Heroes, Breakaway, California Saga, Let Him Run Wild, Darlin, TWGMTR and especially Little Bird and Ol' Man River (and the overall "deep" nature of the show) makes me think that someone with a little marketing sense has helped with the set list – this is a great taster for the box set, a treat for the hardcore fans yet doesn't alienate the passing fans.

Surprised not to see one or two more BW solo tunes in there tho'… maybe we'll have to wait for his own career retrospective box before we get Rio Grande performed live…!

“We live in divisive times.”
Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2013, 08:46:55 AM »

Al was in good voice, but I think he forgot lyrics here and there. I found him glancing to Jeff a few times for help. Dave sang well, and his guitar was finally up in the mix.

What hold does Jeff have over Al? He's so controlling. I'm worried. Bacon bacon.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2013, 08:54:26 AM »

Al was in good voice, but I think he forgot lyrics here and there. I found him glancing to Jeff a few times for help. Dave sang well, and his guitar was finally up in the mix.

What hold does Jeff have over Al? He's so controlling. I'm worried. Bacon bacon.
No hold. Remember, Al was going to him. Actually, Jeff had to jump in for both Al and Brian a few times throughout the second set. Also, I love how neither Brian or Al have big egos. Every time either guy received a standing ovation, they acted quite modest about it. They received many throughout the evening.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2013, 09:40:05 AM »

"Yes, he did seem a bit disconnected. "

He seemed like that last summer at the Hollywood Bowl, looked miserable.   That is the reason, along with the horrible vocals, that I will not go to see him solo anymore.  The guy is not capable of carrying a concert by himself.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2013, 09:45:20 AM »

He seemed like that last summer at the Hollywood Bowl, looked miserable.   That is the reason, along with the horrible vocals, that I will not go to see him solo anymore.  The guy is not capable of carrying a concert by himself.

Roll Eyes
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2013, 09:51:40 AM »

If you go in to a Brian Wilson gig expecting to be riveted by his on stage theatrics then that's your problem.

If you go in expecting to hear a selection of songs from the greatest catalog in the history of music done by the man who wrote them, well expect to be entertained

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2013, 09:58:35 AM »

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:00:01 AM by Phoenix » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: July 21, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »

The Hollywood Bowl show was epic! I can't imagine walking out of that and thinking "nah, I don't want to see Brian Wilson again."

He seemed to be having more fun at the Irvine gig, but that's probably because I had a better seat on his side and could see the goofy expressions. I think he's great these days when he's on and into it -- really a treat hearing him belt out "Sail On, Sailor" with a sprinklin' of growl.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:16:13 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2013, 10:11:29 AM »

If the lead vocals by BW were good, the lack of an on stage presence wouldn't bother me.  However, it has been my experience that his lead vocals are poor.  I was surprised to read that Al, who is a treat to listen to, didn't have more leads in last night's show.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2013, 10:17:48 AM »

He can take center stage for "Al Jardine with Brian Wilson and David Marks" next time around, then.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2013, 10:31:39 AM »

Posted by Al on his facebook site:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: July 21, 2013, 10:33:12 AM »

Would that be... THE WHITE SUIT?
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2013, 10:49:06 AM »

Found some videos on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfgm46POSes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-aSKCd4rFc
tate320
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2013, 10:51:36 AM »

i found the soundcheck to be very uncomfortable Brian said a few times thats it he was done and no one listened t was my first show just never realized it was that bad for him overall i thought it was  great show with great sound
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »

Yep, and he looked cool in it too. Al has a very nice stage presence. He acts very genuine up there. Al, David, and Jeff shared the front man duties, introducing songs and interacting with the audience. Brian introduced a couple songs, but man, he was stoic up there for most of the show. Gotta love him, though, he plows his way through each and every show. Smiley

Oh, and Brian's singing was pretty decent. Hit quite a few high notes along the way. His biggest thing was that he would just stop singing. I guess he forgot the words, but Jeff had to jump in there a time or two.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:57:57 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
tate320
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 21, 2013, 10:54:06 AM »

and the meet and great was bs i think vip1 package was basically the same as vip2 just better seats even though it was sold as different
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2013, 11:43:36 AM »

i found the soundcheck to be very uncomfortable Brian said a few times thats it he was done and no one listened t was my first show just never realized it was that bad for him overall i thought it was  great show with great sound

Ouch. That kind of stuff really bothers me somehow. It's uncomfortable sitting in an audience waiting to be, well, entertained by someone you sense doesn't even want to be there. But this is an old topic and I'm well aware it all depends on his specific mood of the day - but still...
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2013, 11:48:01 AM »

Eh, first night. In a few shows all of us who can read Brian's mind from Q25 will be reporting how much FUN he's having and how Phil Spector's voice isn't troubling him as much.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »

Great Show!
Thanks for the review.  That "Old Man River"/"Cottonfields" medley, in particular, sounds like it might've been pretty neat.

Can I ask, how was "Summer's Gone"?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2013, 12:01:50 PM »

Great Show!
Thanks for the review.  That "Old Man River"/"Cottonfields" medley, in particular, sounds like it might've been pretty neat.

Yes, Old Man River and Break Away were quite a treat. It is so cool to hear stuff that you never expected to be in the set list. As for Summer's Gone, Brian did a pretty nice job on it. It sounded to me like at least two people were ghosting his lead, one being Jeff, but I could not tell who the other might have been. Brian even had the high voice going for that one. Instrumentally, it sounded almost like the recording.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2013, 12:08:28 PM »

Wow!  Shocked

I hope there will be a vid posted of "Little Bird".

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2013, 12:19:14 PM »

The sound quality on those YT vids is really good for audience recordings.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2013, 12:22:16 PM »

Great Show!

Yes, Old Man River and Break Away were quite a treat. It is so cool to hear stuff that you never expected to be in the set list. As for Summer's Gone, Brian did a pretty nice job on it. It sounded to me like at least two people were ghosting his lead, one being Jeff, but I could not tell who the other might have been. Brian even had the high voice going for that one. Instrumentally, it sounded almost like the recording.
That's great, thanks.  First impressions suggest this will be quite a series of shows, no?  As this show seems not to be traveling all that far and wide, though, I hope some recordings capture these type of cool moments.

As far as "Summer's Gone" is concerned, I'm sill hoping for a "From There to Back Again"/"Pacific Coast Highway"/"Summer's Gone" medley.  Making use of Al's presence for 'FTtBA' seems to make sense, and I think that collectively, these three numbers could potentially make for a pretty spectacular part of a Brian Wilson show.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2013, 12:26:57 PM »

He can take center stage for "Al Jardine with Brian Wilson and David Marks" next time around, then.

My thought, exactly for Brian to be front and center between Al and Dave.  He is so far back.  

But, I saw that well-conceptualized difference as between the setlists.

The Touring Band does a lot of those other songs in the UK, such as SOSailor, so a date-specific setlist is not determinative?

Thanks to the YouTube poster.  I like Imagination, and they did a good job with TWGMTR.

The Touring Band did Good to My Baby.  This is good! Lots of variety, which, of course is the, "spice of life."

Bravo to both bands.   Wink
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:28:08 PM by filledeplage » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2013, 12:29:39 PM »

Al still rocks that 1967-8 era suit.  

It suits him! (did I say that?)  LOL
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:31:13 PM by filledeplage » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Go Up Print