gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:13:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BAD Tour/Setlist '13  (Read 72095 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2013, 04:17:09 PM »

I think Brian should tour Pet Sounds again with Al and Dave.  He's already done it with Al and Dave found a great showcase on the 50th tour with the title track.  Also, it makes a more marketable tour concept than anything (provably only second to being called the Beach Boys which is out of the question). And having missed the original two Pet Sounds tours, having been too young to appreciate it then, it's something I would totally want to see and I'm probably not alone as the album's reputation only continues to grow.

I suggested last year that The Beach Boys attempt to either tour "Pet Sounds" or "SMiLE" perhaps in a brief run of smaller venues and the idea was basically shot down due to the fact that the band members are now in their seventies and not their sixties and asking the group to tour an entire album probably would be a big ask. 

The guys were already playing 48 song setlists anyway...just cut some of the deeper tracks that are on the list all ready, and fill em with the rest of the album tracks! It wouldn't be that unrealistic. John Fogerty is doing it this fall and he is 68.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »

I think Brian should tour Pet Sounds again with Al and Dave.  He's already done it with Al and Dave found a great showcase on the 50th tour with the title track.  Also, it makes a more marketable tour concept than anything (probably only second to being called the Beach Boys which is obviously out of the question). And having missed the original two Pet Sounds tours, having been too young to appreciate it then, it's something I would totally want to see and I'm probably not alone as the album's reputation only continues to grow.

Why should they? Brian and Al already did it. No need. Plus I don't think many people would care about it.

Don't be saying things like that - we need to encourage them to do this!!!

I didn't get to see that tour the first time 'round - I can't even begin to tell you what it would mean to me (and probably, about a couple thousand others at least) to see the creator of Pet Sounds perform the whole thing live with his band. That album means so much to me, means so much to a lot of people.  It defines who I am, as much as a musical statement ever could, it's more than an album to me....and I would jump at the chance to be a part of that happening.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2013, 06:59:22 AM »

A swedish frog told me it had a dream that this is the setlist...

1. Our Prayer
2. A Day in the Life of a Tree (Brian)
3. At My Window (Al and Brian)
4. My Solution (Brian)
5. Solar System (Brian)
6. Beaks of Eagles (Al with David speaking poetry)
7. California (Al)
8. Rio Grande (Brian)
9. Little Pad (Brian, Al and David)
10. Diamond Head
11. Wind Chimes (Brian)
11. Can't Wait Too Long (Al)
13. Rocking Surfer
14, Stoked
15. Carl's Big Chance
16. Johnny Carson (David)
17. Male Ego (Brian)
18. Sunshine - KTSA (Brian)
19. Feel Flows (video footage from 1977)
20. You Are So Beautiful (video footage from 1980)

Encore
21. You're Welcome
22. Mt Vernon and Fairway (Jack Reiley goes on stage, Brian is the pied piper)
23. Tone X

What? No "Surf Jam"? I'm not going!!!!

(Paroding myself) Grin

Cheesy  Damn straight!  And without "George fell into his french horn" and the Hal and Brian Vegetable routine, I'm not going either.  It's just another, total SMiLE denial show for "fans."

Good point! That frog has skrewed us once again!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2013, 10:54:45 PM »

I think Brian should tour Pet Sounds again with Al and Dave.  He's already done it with Al and Dave found a great showcase on the 50th tour with the title track.  Also, it makes a more marketable tour concept than anything (probably only second to being called the Beach Boys which is obviously out of the question). And having missed the original two Pet Sounds tours, having been too young to appreciate it then, it's something I would totally want to see and I'm probably not alone as the album's reputation only continues to grow.

Why should they? Brian and Al already did it. No need. Plus I don't think many people would care about it.

Well, on the other hand: Why not?

How about a PS50 tour in 2016?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2013, 02:24:30 AM »

I didn't get to see that tour the first time 'round - I can't even begin to tell you what it would mean to me (and probably, about a couple thousand others at least) to see the creator of Pet Sounds perform the whole thing live with his band. That album means so much to me, means so much to a lot of people.  It defines who I am, as much as a musical statement ever could, it's more than an album to me....and I would jump at the chance to be a part of that happening.

Genuine question, and not being snarky - where were you in 2000, or if you're a Brit, 2002 & 2006 ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2013, 04:16:58 AM »

I didn't get to see that tour the first time 'round - I can't even begin to tell you what it would mean to me (and probably, about a couple thousand others at least) to see the creator of Pet Sounds perform the whole thing live with his band. That album means so much to me, means so much to a lot of people.  It defines who I am, as much as a musical statement ever could, it's more than an album to me....and I would jump at the chance to be a part of that happening.

Genuine question, and not being snarky - where were you in 2000, or if you're a Brit, 2002 & 2006 ?

If you're really interested - not sure why you would be - I was 10 years old in 2000 - and while I've been heavy into 60s music since I could speak (and before then, too) I didn't really fully embrace Brian/The Beach Boys music until around 2010 or so - which means I missed the 2006 PS concert near my town, as well. In fact, I'd missed ALL Brian's concerts near my area. I had casually liked The BBs music, owned some albums and singles, but didn't start heavily collecting and listening until I understood the copy of Pet Sounds I'd had in my collection for a couple years...and that's why it's important to me.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2013, 07:58:33 AM »

I think Brian should tour Pet Sounds again with Al and Dave.  He's already done it with Al and Dave found a great showcase on the 50th tour with the title track.  Also, it makes a more marketable tour concept than anything (probably only second to being called the Beach Boys which is obviously out of the question). And having missed the original two Pet Sounds tours, having been too young to appreciate it then, it's something I would totally want to see and I'm probably not alone as the album's reputation only continues to grow.

If you're really interested - not sure why you would be - I was 10 years old in 2000 - and while I've been heavy into 60s music since I could speak (and before then, too) I didn't really fully embrace Brian/The Beach Boys music until around 2010 or so - which means I missed the 2006 PS concert near my town, as well. In fact, I'd missed ALL Brian's concerts near my area. I had casually liked The BBs music, owned some albums and singles, but didn't start heavily collecting and listening until I understood the copy of Pet Sounds I'd had in my collection for a couple years...and that's why it's important to me.

I got really into the Beach Boys in 1998. I didn't think anything good would happen by that point, but I was wrong! So many great releases and concerts since that day. For your sake, I hope that there is more greatness to come. Won't last forever, its kind of sad.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2013, 12:23:33 AM »

Enough already with the PS tours. What we need now is a Wild Honey tour. Or Sunflower. Dave could sing the Dennis songs; as for the Bruce songs, maybe Darian could learn how to adjust his mic, and put on a pair of shorts.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2013, 05:41:01 AM »

Enough already with the PS tours. What we need now is a Wild Honey tour. Or Sunflower. Dave could sing the Dennis songs; as for the Bruce songs, maybe Darian could learn how to adjust his mic, and put on a pair of shorts.

Don't forget he needs to start a clap on 3/4 of the set list. When did the whole microphone adjustment joke start? I love it! I noticed it in a lot of the concert footage but it seems to be a long running joke within the past few months.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2013, 07:12:02 AM »

I was 10 years old in 2000 - and while I've been heavy into 60s music since I could speak (and before then, too) I didn't really fully embrace Brian/The Beach Boys music until around 2010 or so - which means I missed the 2006 PS concert near my town, as well. In fact, I'd missed ALL Brian's concerts near my area. I had casually liked The BBs music, owned some albums and singles, but didn't start heavily collecting and listening until I understood the copy of Pet Sounds I'd had in my collection for a couple years...and that's why it's important to me.
Great story! I'm often amazed at young generation people who like sth. ancient (esp. when talking about the 60s times) since childhood. And continue liking it despite the modern & severe information technology era nowadays and more so, despite having danger being ridiculed by other students, friends etc. So, you have great musical upbringing & taste, EgoHanger! That's cool!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2013, 11:59:21 AM »

It's been done. Ok not with the complete Beach Boys but it still would be too much of a repetition imo. Same with Smile

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2013, 04:12:45 PM »

What albums could possibly be performed live besides PS and smile that are commercial enough? I wouldn't mind hearing Al's Postcard from CA being performed live with Brian and David.

Off topic, any idea what's gonna be on the merch table?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:27:20 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2013, 06:18:28 PM »

It's been done. Ok not with the complete Beach Boys but it still would be too much of a repetition imo. Same with Smile

Yes it has been done. Just as all but 2 songs had been done for up to 50 years during the C50 and many of those same songs have been released multiple times during that period. Still sells.

I'm not ruling out, health permitting, noises being made in the UK for a PS tour in 2016 by the C50 line-up.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:26:52 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2013, 07:18:29 PM »

Yes it has been done. Just as all but 2 songs had been done for up to 50 years during the C50...

Did they really play that many live?

1.   "Wouldn't It Be Nice" (B. Wilson/Asher/Love)   - Concert Staple
2.   "You Still Believe in Me" - Played often from '71 to '75, and again during M+B's stadium tours    
3.   "That's Not Me"  - never to my knoledge     
4.   "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)"  - Played during '74 or '75, (Carl on lead)
5.   "I'm Waiting for the Day"  - Played in '75 (with Al & Billy on lead?)
6.   "Let's Go Away for Awhile"  - never to my knoledge
7.   "Sloop John B"  - concert staple

1.   "God Only Knows" - concert staple
2.   "I Know There's an Answer" - never to my knoledge
3.   "Here Today" - played during M+B's stadium tours
4.   "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times"  - played during C50    
5.   "Pet Sounds" - Played during C50
6.   "Caroline, No" - often from '71 to mid 70s, occasionally thereafter   
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:53:25 PM by wantsomecorn » Logged

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2013, 07:24:44 PM »

Yes it has been done. Just as all but 2 songs had been done for up to 50 years during the C50...

Did they really play that many live?

1.   "Wouldn't It Be Nice" (B. Wilson/Asher/Love)   - Concert Staple
2.   "You Still Believe in Me" - Played often from '71 to '75, and again during M+B's stadium tours    
3.   "That's Not Me"  - never to my knoledge     
4.   "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)"  - Played during '74 or '75, (I think?) (with Dennis or Billy Hinsche on lead?)   
5.   "I'm Waiting for the Day"  - Same as "Don't Talk" (??) (I'm pretty sure these were listed on setlists on Eric Anniversario's page)
6.   "Let's Go Away for Awhile"  - never to my knoledge
7.   "Sloop John B"  - concert staple

1.   "God Only Knows" - concert staple
2.   "I Know There's an Answer" - never to my knoledge
3.   "Here Today" - played during M+B's stadium tours
4.   "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times"  - played during C50    
5.   "Pet Sounds" - never to my knoledge
6.   "Caroline, No" - often from '71 to mid 70s, occasionally thereafter   

The 2 songs I was referring to were the ones off the new album, as in the C50 had songs played live for up to 50 years except IIT and TWGMTR. Maybe poor phrasing on my part.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:26:44 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2013, 07:53:45 PM »

How about Wake The World, with Al singing Carl's line.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2013, 02:01:00 AM »

4.   "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)"  - Played during '74 or '75, (I think?) (with Dennis or Billy Hinsche on lead?)   

Carl.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2013, 02:12:03 AM »

correction :

5.   "Pet Sounds" - played during C50

“We live in divisive times.”
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2013, 09:55:23 PM »

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you there. Oh well, keeping it up anyway, good reference or whatever. Thanks for the correction, John.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2013, 06:28:04 AM »

Fresh off the press:

Brian Wilson and Jeff Beck to Play the Greek Theatre with Al Jardine and David Marks
June 17, 2013

Following the announcement that Jeff Beck is guesting on his upcoming Capitol Records studio album, Brian Wilson co-founder of the Beach Boys has announced that the guitar icon will be joining him at The Greek Theatre in Los Angeles on Sunday, October 20th. Brian’s former band mates Al Jardine & David Marks fresh off last years successful Beach Boys’s 50th Anniversary tour will join Wilson and Beck for an evening of historical collaboration.

“Jeff is one of the most amazing guitarists I’ve ever worked with and his vibe is inspiring, in fact I think we should do an album together!” says Wilson.  “I feel like this is a cool continuation of what we did last year with the exciting addition of Jeff Beck. We’ve got some new tunes we want to try out on a live crowd as well as doing some great music from our catalogues.” 

Wilson, Jardine and Marks will be diving into the Beach Boys rich catalogue and Beck will join them on some of his favorite Beach Boys songs as well as performing a jewel from Brian’s upcoming album. Beck will also be performing a set of is own classics with his stellar band.

Wilson is one of popular music's most deeply revered figures, the main creative force behind some of the most cherished recordings in rock history. Indeed, it is no exaggeration to call Brian Wilson one of the most influential composers of the last century. Wilson was barely out of his teens when he began to create some of the most beloved records ever... nine consecutive “gold” albums that featured such classics as "Surfer Girl," “In My Room,” “I Get Around,” “Don’t Worry Baby,” "Fun, Fun, Fun," “Help Me Rhonda” and "California Girls"...just to name a handful of the more than two dozen Top 40 hits Brian co-wrote, arranged, produced and performed on with his family band, the Beach Boys.

Known as one of the most influential lead guitarists in rock, Jeff Beck was ranked 5th in Rolling Stone’s list of the “100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time.”  He has earned wide critical praise and received the Grammy Award for Best Rock Instrumental Performance six times and Best Pop Instrumental Performance once.  He has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice; as a member of the Yardbirds (1992) and as a solo artist (2009).

Jardine was originally the Beach Boys rhythm guitarist and middle-range harmony vocalist and is well known for his lead vocal on the # 1 hit “Help Me Rhonda.”   Continuing with his contributions to the Friends album, Jardine wrote or co-wrote a number of songs for the Beach Boys, varying in style from straight-ahead rockers like "Susie Cincinnati" to Wilsonesque mid-tempo harmony efforts like “Island Girl,” among others.  David Marks was part of the Beach Boys line-up, at age 13, when they signed with Capitol Records in 1962. Marks performed on the band's first four albums, playing rhythm guitar and toured with the group.  He most recently appeared last year on the Beach Boys album and 50th Anniversary tour.

Tickets available at The Greek Theatre box office, online at Ticketmaster.com, at all Ticketmaster outlets or charge-by-phone at (800) 745-3000.

All dates, acts and ticket prices subject to change without notice. A service charge is added to each ticket price.
For more information, visit GreekTheatreLA.com.   

(SOURCE)
Nicko1234
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2013, 06:51:26 AM »

That should be an interesting concert.

Should help them with ticket sales too if they needed it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »

I just really hope they add some more dates. A few shows in July, presumably before Brian's album comes out, is kind of weird. I know Brian had done short strings of shows like that in the past, though.

I'm hoping they are planning on booking more dates around the October timeframe and that the L.A. show isn't just a one-off. Perhaps by that time Brian's album will be ready to promote? Who knows.....
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:49:56 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2013, 11:47:50 AM »

If they play a LY song I sure hope it's Airplane. (though any of them would be both awesome and unlikely)

Last time Al toured with Brian there was an interview in which Al was mentioning "Honkin' down the highway" and that they should do it. Never happened iirc. Maybe this time.
I guess that it will be kinda like C50. I'm afraid though that they (Brian, Al, David) expect this to be something like a continued C50 with all the success and fun. Obviously this won't be anything like the Beach Boys tour but tell that the boys...

I dont' know why, but I really want them to do Honkin' Down the Highway too.  I don't know why when I hear Al and Brian I think of that song. 
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2013, 11:54:48 AM »

If they play a LY song I sure hope it's Airplane. (though any of them would be both awesome and unlikely)

Last time Al toured with Brian there was an interview in which Al was mentioning "Honkin' down the highway" and that they should do it. Never happened iirc. Maybe this time.
I guess that it will be kinda like C50. I'm afraid though that they (Brian, Al, David) expect this to be something like a continued C50 with all the success and fun. Obviously this won't be anything like the Beach Boys tour but tell that the boys...

I dont' know why, but I really want them to do Honkin' Down the Highway too.  I don't know why when I hear Al and Brian I think of that song. 

Because Brian helped to write it and Al sings it?

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »

I didn't get to see that tour the first time 'round - I can't even begin to tell you what it would mean to me (and probably, about a couple thousand others at least) to see the creator of Pet Sounds perform the whole thing live with his band. That album means so much to me, means so much to a lot of people.  It defines who I am, as much as a musical statement ever could, it's more than an album to me....and I would jump at the chance to be a part of that happening.

Well that's your fault for not being born sooner then, isn't it?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx