gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:29:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BAD Tour/Setlist '13  (Read 72077 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2013, 02:35:49 PM »

I hate the line "crummy movie," and I find the entire song, as well as its rank sentimentalization by BW disciples, mawkish and hollow. I'll be first out of the parking lot. Did you ever hear that boys choir at the Kennedy Center awards sing it? Don't play that while driving over a bridge because it will make you want to kill yourself. It manifests literally in the children singing the nauseating fixation on perpetual infantilization that marks BW solo work. The BB are no more; I will listen to a BW record if Dave and Al are on it because it's the closest we will come. I will lose my lunch if I continue thinking about this and hearing that cloying tune in my head. Never mention it again.

Rank sentimentalization is indeed a problem. The ontor pertawst thinks you should listen to it while driving around Los Angeles while wearing a yellow shirt on a Sunday and will say no more about the subject.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:50:59 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2013, 02:58:57 PM »

Sounds pretty good here... and it would sound great with Al.
http://youtu.be/xPNVknCRpTk?t=9m30s

Sorry but this concert is legendary for how terrible Brian sounds and this song is no exception.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2013, 04:06:36 PM »

I hate the line "crummy movie," and I find the entire song, as well as its rank sentimentalization by BW disciples, mawkish and hollow. I'll be first out of the parking lot. Did you ever hear that boys choir at the Kennedy Center awards sing it? Don't play that while driving over a bridge because it will make you want to kill yourself. It manifests literally in the children singing the nauseating fixation on perpetual infantilization that marks BW solo work. The BB are no more; I will listen to a BW record if Dave and Al are on it because it's the closest we will come. I will lose my lunch if I continue thinking about this and hearing that cloying tune in my head. Never mention it again.

Rank sentimentalization is indeed a problem. The ontor pertawst thinks you should listen to it while driving around Los Angeles while wearing a yellow shirt on a Sunday and will say no more about the subject.

OP your allusions are too complex for me; I need explanation.  But I looked for lyrics to LAM and found these pasted below; surely these are not the real lyrics?  Does anyone have the correct link to a reliable lyric page? These are a parody, grossly exagerating the mawkishness I attributed to the original:

I was sittin' in a crummy movie with my hands on my chin
 Oh the violence that occurs seems like we never win

Love and mercy that's what you need tonight
 So, love and mercy to you and your friends tonight

I was lyin' in my room and the news came on T.V.
 A lotta people out there hurtin' and it really scares me

I was standin' in a bar and watchin' all the people there
 Oh the lonliness in this world well it's just not fair

Oooooo-ooooooo-ooooooo
 Oooooo-ooooooo-ooooooo-ooooooo-ooooooo
 Ahhhhh-ahhhhhh-ahhhhhh-ohhhhhh-ohhhhhh

Hey love and mercy that's what you need tonight

Love and mercy tonight

Love and mercy
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2013, 04:14:04 PM »

Someone once wrote a really interesting critical piece about Brian's solo work, analyzing the sort of uncomfortable plastic bubble of antiseptic innocence and indefinite adolescence reflected in the lyrics and production of BW's solo works. Underlying that, it seems, is a sense of fear and dread from Brian, of what might happen if he ditched the precalculated sheen of the Wondermints or Joe Thomas and used lyrics that weren't approved by his wife and managers. Because of this, we're left with a musical output that is largely emotionally closed, making the seeming "perfection" of it all the more disturbing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2013, 05:10:10 PM »

As for songs not played on the 50th tour, I would love to hear them do Caroline No and Break Away (with Al on the chorus). 

It's possible I guess. When Al toured with Brian in 2006/2007 they did play "Break away".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvuqXkOhQv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lnBuKCls-8

Brian also did "Break Away" at Hampton Court" in 2005. It was a complete and utter train wreck.

AFAIK Brian did it solo more often than that (often introduced it as a song "I wrote with my father" iirc). I wouldn't be surprised if it sounded terrible or at least not good back then. But Rocky Raccoon talked about Brian performing it with Al. And I think that could sound goodnowadays. Brian's singing has improved a lot over the last years (since TLOS).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2013, 05:43:16 PM »

Someone once wrote a really interesting critical piece about Brian's solo work, analyzing the sort of uncomfortable plastic bubble of antiseptic innocence and indefinite adolescence reflected in the lyrics and production of BW's solo works. Underlying that, it seems, is a sense of fear and dread from Brian, of what might happen if he ditched the precalculated sheen of the Wondermints or Joe Thomas and used lyrics that weren't approved by his wife and managers. Because of this, we're left with a musical output that is largely emotionally closed, making the seeming "perfection" of it all the more disturbing.
That is pure bullshit. Nobody is approving anything. Brian writes from his own frame of mind. He sees the world differently than most of us. In Love and Mercy, Brian might watch a crummy movie with his hand on his chin, bored stiff, but me, I just fall asleep like I did watching Les Miserables over the weekend. Brian is no phony, he is just different.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2013, 05:44:38 PM »

The professor hates love and mercy.

Because chords are mostly the same as the intro chords in GOK?

Do you find the use of "fun,fun,fun" and positivity by Mike Love hollow because he is complete asshole? (IMO)

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2013, 05:58:35 PM »

Do you find the use of "fun,fun,fun" and positivity by Mike Love hollow because he is complete asshole? (IMO)
Is that a question or a statement? Mike might seem like a jerk within the group due to is relationships with the band members, but it doesn't seem that he is like that in other aspects of his life.
As for the "crummy movie" line, maybe he just finished watching Leave It To Beaver before he wrote the lyrics. When I was a kid in the early 60s, we used the term "crummy" quite a bit.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2013, 06:02:04 PM »

Is that a question or a statement? Mike might seem like a jerk within the group due to is relationships with the band members, but it doesn't seem that he is like that in other aspects of his life.
As for the "crummy movie" line, maybe he just finished watching Leave It To Beaver before he wrote the lyrics. When I was a kid in the early 60s, we used the term "crummy" quite a bit.
I meant with with the band members.  Wink

The BW show I saw in 2011, he changed it to "crappy movie"!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »

"Love and Mercy" is one of Brian's greatest songs. The melody and chords, wherever they're from, seem inevitable. The lyrics are as simple and profound as anything since "Til I Die." It suffers only from having no definitive arrangement.

To call the tune mawkish misses the point, just as calling Pet Sounds over-orchestrated or Smile fragmentary misses the points of those works. The open-hearted embrace of fellow humans' suffering in "Love and Mercy" is precisely the opposite of the closed-off aesthetic mentioned earlier. Whereas "In My Room" depicts isolation and immaturity -- a teenager finding solace in his own thoughts in his own space -- "Love and Mercy" reaches out.

The fortysomething songwriter is still in closed off spaces -- a movie theater, a bar, yet another room -- yet he finds himself drawn to the suffering and fear of others. And he helps them the only way he knows. He helps them the only way he can. He writes a song. And as he has done before, he writes it as a prayer, as a plea to a higher power.

Whether or not he knows it, Brian quotes scripture in the song's title and main chorus line. It can be found in Isaiah 63:9. "In all their distress he too was distressed, and the angel of his presence saved them. In his love and mercy he redeemed them; he lifted them up and carried them all the days of old."

I can't say any more. The message touches you or it doesn't. The empathy resonates or it doesn't. It strikes me as Brian's own "Let It Be" -- a song that hits a basic, very human place.

(For me, the definitive version of the song comes from Radio City special. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PISkFEzC5XE)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2013, 07:29:33 PM »

Thank you for that link... it is nice to hear him singing the song instead of screaming it.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2013, 07:33:28 PM »

Sounds pretty good here... and it would sound great with Al.
http://youtu.be/xPNVknCRpTk?t=9m30s

Sorry but this concert is legendary for how terrible Brian sounds and this song is no exception.

Holy shnikies that's bad. I would never ever pay to see BW solo. On the other hand woul give an arm and a leg to see the 50th anniversary line up and band again.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2013, 09:45:41 PM »

A swedish frog told me it had a dream that this is the setlist...

1. Our Prayer
2. A Day in the Life of a Tree (Brian)
3. At My Window (Al and Brian)
4. My Solution (Brian)
5. Solar System (Brian)
6. Beaks of Eagles (Al with David speaking poetry)
7. California (Al)
8. Rio Grande (Brian)
9. Little Pad (Brian, Al and David)
10. Diamond Head
11. Wind Chimes (Brian)
11. Can't Wait Too Long (Al)
13. Rocking Surfer
14, Stoked
15. Carl's Big Chance
16. Johnny Carson (David)
17. Male Ego (Brian)
18. Sunshine - KTSA (Brian)
19. Feel Flows (video footage from 1977)
20. You Are So Beautiful (video footage from 1980)

Encore
21. You're Welcome
22. Mt Vernon and Fairway (Jack Reiley goes on stage, Brian is the pied piper)
23. Tone X

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2013, 11:59:15 PM »

1. Our Prayer
4. My Solution (Brian)
5. Solar System (Brian)
7. California (Al)
8. Rio Grande (Brian)
10. Diamond Head
11. Wind Chimes (Brian)
13. Rocking Surfer
14, Stoked
15. Carl's Big Chance
17. Male Ego (Brian)

Encore
21. You're Welcome
23. Tone X

What? No "Surf Jam"? I'm not going!!!!

(Paroding myself) Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2013, 03:22:22 AM »

I really like L&M but find the professor's take on the song kind of refreshing. Always thought it seemed kind of forced when they made the song title into BW's trademark complimentary close. Still, in my opinion it's a brilliant song and certainly the best original song that BW released as a solo artist. I've heard that according to the liner notes from the BW88 reissue it even qualifies as a hit single. Cheesy
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »

1. Our Prayer
4. My Solution (Brian)
5. Solar System (Brian)
7. California (Al)
8. Rio Grande (Brian)
10. Diamond Head
11. Wind Chimes (Brian)
13. Rocking Surfer
14, Stoked
15. Carl's Big Chance
17. Male Ego (Brian)

Encore
21. You're Welcome
23. Tone X

What? No "Surf Jam"? I'm not going!!!!

(Paroding myself) Grin

Cheesy  Damn straight!  And without "George fell into his french horn" and the Hal and Brian Vegetable routine, I'm not going either.  It's just another, total SMiLE denial show for "fans."

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »

I want the SMiLE crew there to do all the "brian falls into..." skits.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2013, 06:16:09 PM »

I think Brian should tour Pet Sounds again with Al and Dave.  He's already done it with Al and Dave found a great showcase on the 50th tour with the title track.  Also, it makes a more marketable tour concept than anything (probably only second to being called the Beach Boys which is obviously out of the question). And having missed the original two Pet Sounds tours, having been too young to appreciate it then, it's something I would totally want to see and I'm probably not alone as the album's reputation only continues to grow.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:01:10 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2013, 07:10:24 PM »

Always thought it seemed kind of forced when they made the song title into BW's trademark complimentary close.
I'd agree with you if I believed that's what "they" had done, but personally, I think it's just a conviction that happens to ring true with Brian (and as naïve as it may sound, I think the fact that the phrase was used in one of his songs has less to do with it's continued use all these years later than one might otherwise think).

I could be wrong, certainly, but it's always felt less a case of a consciously chosen, trademark signature, than a genuine sentiment to me.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »

I think Brian should tour Pet Sounds again with Al and Dave.  He's already done it with Al and Dave found a great showcase on the 50th tour with the title track.  Also, it makes a more marketable tour concept than anything (provably only second to being called the Beach Boys which is out of the question). And having missed the original two Pet Sounds tours, having been too young to appreciate it then, it's something I would totally want to see and I'm probably not alone as the album's reputation only continues to grow.

I suggested last year that The Beach Boys attempt to either tour "Pet Sounds" or "SMiLE" perhaps in a brief run of smaller venues and the idea was basically shot down due to the fact that the band members are now in their seventies and not their sixties and asking the group to tour an entire album probably would be a big ask. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2013, 08:21:06 PM »

Oooooo-ooooooo-ooooooo
 Oooooo-ooooooo-ooooooo-ooooooo-ooooooo

Guys, look what you did.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2013, 08:25:19 PM »

Also can't believe people are still calling it the Bad Tour. I don't care how you spell it, you're calling it the Bad Tour.

BAD. BAAAAD. THUMBS UP NICE HAIR MOTORCYCLE SUNGLASSES BAAAAD. I'M GONNA BE BAAAD BOWLING FOR THIS TROPHY

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2013, 11:05:07 AM »

I think Brian should tour Pet Sounds again with Al and Dave.  He's already done it with Al and Dave found a great showcase on the 50th tour with the title track.  Also, it makes a more marketable tour concept than anything (probably only second to being called the Beach Boys which is obviously out of the question). And having missed the original two Pet Sounds tours, having been too young to appreciate it then, it's something I would totally want to see and I'm probably not alone as the album's reputation only continues to grow.

Why should they? Brian and Al already did it. No need. Plus I don't think many people would care about it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2013, 12:15:33 PM »

Also can't believe people are still calling it the Bad Tour. I don't care how you spell it, you're calling it the Bad Tour.

BAD. BAAAAD. THUMBS UP NICE HAIR MOTORCYCLE SUNGLASSES BAAAAD. I'M GONNA BE BAAAD BOWLING FOR THIS TROPHY

Oh yeah? WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH  Angry

Wink

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2013, 04:11:03 PM »

"Love and Mercy" is one of Brian's greatest songs. The melody and chords, wherever they're from, seem inevitable. The lyrics are as simple and profound as anything since "Til I Die." It suffers only from having no definitive arrangement.

To call the tune mawkish misses the point, just as calling Pet Sounds over-orchestrated or Smile fragmentary misses the points of those works. The open-hearted embrace of fellow humans' suffering in "Love and Mercy" is precisely the opposite of the closed-off aesthetic mentioned earlier. Whereas "In My Room" depicts isolation and immaturity -- a teenager finding solace in his own thoughts in his own space -- "Love and Mercy" reaches out.

The fortysomething songwriter is still in closed off spaces -- a movie theater, a bar, yet another room -- yet he finds himself drawn to the suffering and fear of others. And he helps them the only way he knows. He helps them the only way he can. He writes a song. And as he has done before, he writes it as a prayer, as a plea to a higher power.

Whether or not he knows it, Brian quotes scripture in the song's title and main chorus line. It can be found in Isaiah 63:9. "In all their distress he too was distressed, and the angel of his presence saved them. In his love and mercy he redeemed them; he lifted them up and carried them all the days of old."

I can't say any more. The message touches you or it doesn't. The empathy resonates or it doesn't. It strikes me as Brian's own "Let It Be" -- a song that hits a basic, very human place.

(For me, the definitive version of the song comes from Radio City special. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PISkFEzC5XE)

Wirestone has written eloquently and endearingly about Love and Mercy, and I am moved by his literary sensitivity and measured critcal prose. I simply do not like the song. The childlike innocence is revolting for some reason, and the allusion to Scripture (well seen Wirestone) diminishes the triumphal register of Isaiah, reducing it to jejune saccharin pseudo "blessing." I don't want Eugene Landy blessing me at the end of a rock and roll show. Give me Fun x3 or get the hell off stage. Anything short of the BB is a big nothing, the way I feel today, with the solo album being announced.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx