gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:08:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BAD Tour/Setlist '13  (Read 72090 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 04:03:47 AM »

Oh!

Brian
Alan
Dave

!!!!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 04:11:24 AM »

They're BAD

They're BAD

They're really really BAD...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 06:31:20 AM »

They're BAD

They're BAD

Can't you just hear Jeff introducing the three with Michael Jackson blasting away in the background.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 09:25:20 AM »

So this is really happening?  We're all so cynical 'round here it's hard to tell!   LOL

How are they billing themselves?  Brian Wilson, with Al and Dave?

You know, personally I don't know how I feel about this.  It just highlights the riff (or whatever it is) between the members.  You've got 3/5 of the Beach Boys touring... who are not the Beach Boys.  And then you got 2/5 of the Beach Boys touring, who are the Beach Boys.  And you got a whole lot of people who must think "are there enough people willing pay to see them to warrant all this??"

I mean, seriously.  I'm a huge fan... and would love to take my family to see a show... but I ain't paying modern day concert ticket prices to see a beach boy cover band from a 100 yards away.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:28:05 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 09:34:29 AM »

This:
O
1 - "WH" is a bona fide Top 40 hit, not a deep cut: it's on all the major compilations.

2 - BA&D don't have anything like the name recognition of The Beach Boys (any version you care to name), so straying too far from the GH path isn't likely or sensible.

Right. I'm not saying WH is a deep cut it's just a little off the beaten path of a normal BB's 21st century set. I previously subscribed to the notion that the general public didn't know who Brian Wilson was anymore. But after the response he would get at the C50 shows it's clear people still know who he is. Sure they might think Al Jearu is touring with him but they still know BW. What about the YouTube clips of him doing "I'd love just once to see you" "Drive-In" I would take either of those.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:01:05 AM by Melt Away » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 09:37:16 AM »

So this is really happening?  We're all so cynical 'round here it's hard to tell!   LOL

How are they billing themselves?  Brian Wilson, with Al and Dave?

You know, personally I don't know how I feel about this.  It just highlights the riff (or whatever it is) between the members.  You've got 3/5 of the Beach Boys touring... who are not the Beach Boys.  And then you got 2/5 of the Beach Boys touring, who are the Beach Boys.  And you got a whole lot of people who must think "are there enough people willing pay to see them to warrant all this??"

I mean, seriously.  I'm a huge fan... and would love to take my family to see a show... but I ain't paying modern day concert ticket prices to see a beach boy cover band from a 100 yards away.
For small venues like BAD is playing, I think many people know who Brian Wilson is. For the Atlantic City show, it is billed as Brian Wilson with special guests, Alan Jardine & David Marks.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 09:51:14 AM »

They're BAD

They're BAD

Can't you just hear Jeff introducing the three with Michael Jackson blasting away in the background.

I would pay serious money to see that happen... and then for all three to moonwalk on stage.  Grin

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2013, 10:43:48 AM »

I hope it's similar to last year's Beach Boys setlist, maybe like this.

1. Do It Again
2. Hawaii (Dave)
3. Surfer Girl
4. The Little Girl I Once Knew
5. This Whole World
6. Getcha Back (Dave)
7. Then I Kissed Her (Al)
8. Please Let Me Wonder
9. Marcella
10. You're So Good to Me
11. Kiss Me, Baby
12. Come Go With Me (Al)
13. When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)
14. Darlin' (Darian)
15. Good Timin'
16. Cotton Fields (Al)
17. Don't Worry Baby (Jeff)
18. I Get Around
19. Pet Sounds (Dave)
20. Add Some Music to Your Day
21. Sail On, Sailor
22. Heroes and Villains
23. I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
24. California Dreamin' (Al)
25. California Saga (Al)
26. In My Room
27. God Only Knows
28. Sloop John B
29. Wouldn't It Be Nice (Al)
30. Good Vibrations
31. California Girls
32. All Summer Long
33. Help Me, Rhonda (Al)
34. Do You Wanna Dance?
35. Surfin' U.S.A.
36. Barbara Ann
37. Fun, Fun, Fun
38. Love and Mercy

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 12:41:27 PM »

The professor hates love and mercy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 12:59:57 PM »

I'm pretty stoked about seeing them In July, I had a sneaky feeling that there'd be some rarities played then, but I don't really know that for sure.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2013, 01:26:47 PM »

Maybe they'll let Dave sing Getcha Back as well. I'd love to hear Heroes & Villains with Al on the verses and Brian on the chorus, but I don't see that as a realistic possibility.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2013, 02:27:29 PM »

As for songs not played on the 50th tour, I would love to hear them do Caroline No and Break Away (with Al on the chorus).  Oh and maybe Warmth of the Sun with Jeff on lead.  As for Brian solo tunes aside from Love and Mercy, it seems Your Imagination and Soul Searchin' are the only ones he's really done in recent years.  I'd love to hear those songs nonetheless.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2013, 04:25:29 PM »

As for Brian solo tunes aside from Love and Mercy, it seems Your Imagination and Soul Searchin' are the only ones he's really done in recent years.

And the entire Gershwin album. Also Midnight's Another Day and Goin' Home.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2013, 08:00:15 PM »

I hope they don't open with "DO it Again"...it really bugs me that some setlists from this year have shown that M&B are opening with it, especially after re-recording it last year for the reunion and literally doin' it again as so many commercial appeals say...I guess everyone is back to doin' SOMETHING again......
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2013, 09:32:42 PM »

He better do ADITLOAT!!!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2013, 02:34:14 AM »

I hope they don't open with "DO it Again"...it really bugs me that some setlists from this year have shown that M&B are opening with it, especially after re-recording it last year for the reunion and literally doin' it again as so many commercial appeals say...I guess everyone is back to doin' SOMETHING again......

Mike and Bruce have opened with that song for *years*. It's one of their three main openers (along with California Girls and Surfin') and I've seen them open with it in 2004, 2008 and 2011.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2013, 02:42:52 AM »

the professor gets to leave one song early!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2013, 06:07:16 AM »

the professor gets to leave one song early!
LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2013, 07:47:19 AM »

As for songs not played on the 50th tour, I would love to hear them do Caroline No and Break Away (with Al on the chorus). 

It's possible I guess. When Al toured with Brian in 2006/2007 they did play "Break away".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvuqXkOhQv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lnBuKCls-8

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 09:04:31 AM »

Mike and Bruce have opened with that song for *years*. It's one of their three main openers (along with California Girls and Surfin') and I've seen them open with it in 2004, 2008 and 2011.

I know they've used it before, but now since it has sort of become the slogan of C50, I find it a bit inappropriate in 2013.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »

As for songs not played on the 50th tour, I would love to hear them do Caroline No and Break Away (with Al on the chorus). 

It's possible I guess. When Al toured with Brian in 2006/2007 they did play "Break away".

Brian also did "Break Away" at Hampton Court" in 2005. It was a complete and utter train wreck.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 09:47:47 AM »

Brian also did "Break Away" at Hampton Court" in 2005. It was a complete and utter train wreck.

Sounds pretty good here... and it would sound great with Al.
http://youtu.be/xPNVknCRpTk?t=9m30s

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2013, 11:52:47 AM »

Well, you are a conservative, mr. professor...so I'm not surprised that you wouldn't be a fan of love and mercy.  Grin
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2013, 12:47:37 PM »

Because chords are mostly the same as the intro chords in GOK?
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2013, 12:58:18 PM »

Because chords are mostly the same as the intro chords in GOK?

I hate the line "crummy movie," and I find the entire song, as well as its rank sentimentalization by BW disciples, mawkish and hollow. I'll be first out of the parking lot. Did you ever hear that boys choir at the Kennedy Center awards sing it? Don't play that while driving over a bridge because it will make you want to kill yourself. It manifests literally in the children singing the nauseating fixation on perpetual infantilization that marks BW solo work. The BB are no more; I will listen to a BW record if Dave and Al are on it because it's the closest we will come. I will lose my lunch if I continue thinking about this and hearing that cloying tune in my head. Never mention it again.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx