gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:41:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TWGMTR - 1 year on...  (Read 29981 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »

That vinyl sequencing... I don't know where the side split is, but if it was after Daybreak that would make it the most single-side-played disc in my collection after John Lennon Live Peace In Toronto (where side two is two extended Yoko tracks). Almost everything up to Daybreak is dreck (Isn't It Time is great, the rest isn't), while everything after is good-to-great.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2013, 12:22:41 PM »

That vinyl sequencing... I don't know where the side split is, but if it was after Daybreak that would make it the most single-side-played disc in my collection...

It is indeed.
Shelter kicks off Side Two.

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »

last night I pulled out the cd and just listened to TATD, IIT, Shelter, Strange World, FTTBA, PCH and Summer's Gone. That group of songs, taken together, holds up extremely well and still amazes me that it came from the 2012 Beach Boys.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2013, 02:23:49 PM »

TATD is just great... as strong an opener as the suite is a closer.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2013, 02:41:44 PM »

That vinyl sequencing... I don't know where the side split is, but if it was after Daybreak that would make it the most single-side-played disc in my collection after John Lennon Live Peace In Toronto (where side two is two extended Yoko tracks).

(Aww man, you should revisit side two.  I've only just got back from watching Yoko tearing up "Don't Worry Kyoko" at the Royal Festival Hall, and it was thrilling as hell.)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2013, 05:56:43 PM »

Just as an experiment I took what are, IMO, the two weakest tracks - "Beaches in Mind" and "Private Life of Bill and Sue" - and replaced them with "Soul Searching'" and "You're Such A Mystery", keeping the vinyl sequence, and inserted "My Love Lives On" just before "From There To Back Again".

It really feels complete to me and gives some very nice closure to the Beach Boys saga, in my mind.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2013, 09:24:15 PM »

Realistically I only listen to a few tracks on this album now:

The 'suite'
Isn't it time - even though the single version is far superior. I really wish a video would have been made.
Spring vacation - even when Mike channels his inner "wheeeeeeeeeeeeen" via "AAHHHMMMM cruisin the town, diggin the scene"

All the others, IMO are pretty forgettable.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2013, 09:52:03 PM »

I still find the suite section quite moving...wistful...smoky..dreamy.  we're all (many of us any way) getting older now. These songs must touch many of you, as they do me, to the core.  sometimes so evocotative of loss and the passage of time that I am not able to go on listening, sometimes I shed a tear and keep on listening.

On the other hand, just this past June, at a Mike and Bruce show, the wife and I were  joyfully dancing in the isle  to Isn't It Time.

these guys, as a whole, in all of their incarnations and configurations, still push my buttons.

to me, twgmtr, still stands strong among beach boys records.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2013, 10:29:32 PM »

I still have this in my car CD player and on my iPod, and it still gets played fairly often. I skip a couple of tracks: Usually Daybreak and sometimes Shelter. But, just today, Think About the Days popped up when I had the iPod on shuffle, and I was struck by how much I still love those harmonies.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2013, 10:40:37 PM »

That vinyl sequencing... I don't know where the side split is, but if it was after Daybreak that would make it the most single-side-played disc in my collection after John Lennon Live Peace In Toronto (where side two is two extended Yoko tracks).

(Aww man, you should revisit side two.  I've only just got back from watching Yoko tearing up "Don't Worry Kyoko" at the Royal Festival Hall, and it was thrilling as hell.)

Yeah, regardless of people's feelings about Yoko, her music definitely deserves a listen.  Her approach may have been unusual to say the least but when it all comes down to it, she was just pure rock and roll.  Now she's a little more electronic and dance oriented, not a big fan of that sort of stuff but her early Plastic Ono Band recordings are an absolute thrill.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2013, 07:34:33 AM »

Some time ago I made a custom made TWGMTR which renewed my listening joy quite a bit.

Tracklist:

A
1. Isn't It Time (sped up 1/6)
2. Beaches In Mind (also sped up 1/6, still waiting for a rocking guitar overdub)
3. Spring Vacation
4. Waves Of Love (saxophone version)
5. Strange World
6. That's Why God Made the Radio

B
1. Daybreak Over The Ocean
2. Shelter (needs a minor guitar overdub)
3. From There To Back Again (waiting a soft rhythm guitar overdub)
4. Think About The Days
5. Pacific Coast Highway
6. Summer's Gone

Yes, I ripped the suite apart. This is the way I like it.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2013, 02:37:12 PM »

It's the only Beach Boys album I play for guests. I don't understand the problem with the sequencing. The guests don't either.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »

Some time ago I made a custom made TWGMTR which renewed my listening joy quite a bit.

Tracklist:

A
2. Beaches In Mind (also sped up 1/6, still waiting for a rocking guitar overdub)
3. Spring Vacation
5. Strange World

B
4. Think About The Days
5. Pacific Coast Highway
6. Summer's Gone

Do you ever consider inclusion of Don't Fight the Sea?

“We live in divisive times.”
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2013, 05:43:24 PM »

Tracklist:

A
3. Spring Vacation
5. Strange World

B
4. Think About The Days
5. Pacific Coast Highway
6. Summer's Gone

No Do It Again?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2013, 06:23:48 PM »

My track list:

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2013, 07:35:58 PM »

My track list:

What is the J Jam mix?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2013, 07:40:01 PM »

He is a member here. He basically just combined the album version and the single version into one track. It may be overlong for some people, but I liked both versions so this is a nice compromise.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2013, 10:04:22 PM »

Tracklist:

A
3. Spring Vacation
5. Strange World

B
4. Think About The Days
5. Pacific Coast Highway
6. Summer's Gone

Do you ever consider inclusion of Don't Fight the Sea?

In fact that was what I first tried to replace the dreaded TPLOBAS with, but to me it didn't gel sonically. For a while I had the Paley sessions Desert Drive in, but when I stumbled across Waves Of Love, that was it. Oh, I tampered with that too, I deleted four of the eight dit-dit rounds at the end. (If I could, I'd erase the saxophone and replace it with a Dave lead guitar part...) The older version of Waves Of Love didn't fit sonically either.

It's the only Beach Boys album I play for guests. I don't understand the problem with the sequencing. The guests don't either.

It's not really a problem, this is just how I would have done it.

No Do It Again?

No, I'd have used it as the B-side of the single. Had they done that, I would actually have bought it! Smiley

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2013, 02:29:26 AM »

I didn't mean you personally, it was a general observation. I guess i just like things the way they are. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2013, 02:54:41 AM »

I didn't mean you personally, it was a general observation. I guess i just like things the way they are. :=)

Everything's ok, I wasn't irritated. Smiley

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2013, 05:35:07 AM »

If I want a mix, I drop a load of tracks and replace them with a few from TLOS and Postcard from California. Mostly I listen to it as is and I'm thankful they pulled off something this decent a this stage of their career, after so many years 'apart' and bearing in mind the quality of most of the group work from the Love You onwards. Unlike most people here, I could care less about Isn't It Time and the title track; my favourite tracks are the last four and the first one and I think FTTBA is the best group track since Holland.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »

If I want a mix, I drop a load of tracks and replace them with a few from TLOS and Postcard from California. Mostly I listen to it as is and I'm thankful they pulled off something this decent a this stage of their career, after so many years 'apart' and bearing in mind the quality of most of the group work from the Love You onwards. Unlike most people here, I could care less about Isn't It Time and the title track; my favourite tracks are the last four and the first one and I think FTTBA is the best group track since Holland.

Very cool....and funny you should mention this. I actually did something a bit similar a few years before TWGMTR was even a dream. That is, made my own fantasy final BBs album as a way of creating closure. Using one of the two Paley/Was BB tracks, some Postcard cuts, my favorite of Brian's recent solo offerings, and with a couple of vintage "unreleased" Dennis tracks thrown in. I was amazed at how easy it was to do, and how fairly well it all fit together. Partly because a few those tracks had additional BBs involvement -- either singular or otherwise. DFTS, It's Not Too Late, etc.

I *think* this is what I came up with. As much as I liked "Mystery," Brian's original lead seemed out of place to me with his newer vocal performances. With this new release, that's probably not the case anymore. I might have to re-visit that.

1) Partial Dennis instrumental track as a short intro (which I can't even remember now...maybe a bit of Mexico?)

2) Nothin' But Love
3 Soul Searchin' ((BBs version...not GIOMH version)...which transitioned nicely into...
4) Live Let Live (TLOS version)
5) Don't Fight The Sea (the whole gang)
6) Plenty O' Nuttin'
7) Cool Head, Warm Heart (w/ CL sounding very Carl-like in places)

8 ) What Love Can Do
9) It's Not Too Late (w/ Carl of course)
10) Waves Of Love (version w/ Carl)....or maybe it was Drivin'...or Al's California Feeling...or his Lookin' Down The Coast?
11) The Like In I Love You
12) Holy Man (w/ TH doing his best DW)
13) Southern California

I think I even toyed with the idea of putting Message Man...or Hand On My Shoulder some place in there (i.e. for some Blondie content). LOL on the latter.

And poor Bruce...couldn't figure out what to do with him at the time. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:49:29 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2013, 11:49:34 AM »

"Bill + Sue" and "Pacific Coast Highway" have become solid favorites of mine by this point. Also I now really love the title track despite the cheesy middle-eight. Once I heard the backing track I was won over. Not into custom playlists, I usually trust the artists when it comes to song selection and sequence, but I still can't stand "Beaches in Mind" so I usually skip that one.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2013, 12:41:44 PM »

FTTBA has depth, but the arrangement with the dull piano clanging 4/4 straight just bores me, so I get no kick out of that. "Beaches In Mind" could have been way better if it had been faster and some rocking rhythm guitar in it.

I also decided for myself a selection and running order for the Paley tracks lately, as well as a mix of Still Cruisin' and SIP which makes quite a good album by just leaving off the most embarrassing tracks. So my fantasy world has three full BB albums after BB85: "Still Summer" Grin consisting of the better tracks from Still Cruisin' and SIP, the Paley sessions as "Soul Searchin'" (another good title would have been "Slightly American Music"), and TWGMTR.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:49:06 AM by Micha » Logged

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2013, 03:12:40 PM »

I put it on par with MIU, LALA and Imaginations. Below average with a couple of mind blowing songs thrown in. Nothing too Cheesy.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx