gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:00:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TWGMTR - 1 year on...  (Read 29997 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2013, 11:45:26 AM »

So, depending upon how we acquired the CD [so in my case a year ago yesterday due to my CD shop getting it in early], it has been essentially a year since the release of 'That's Why God Made The Radio'. how does that feel to you, and how different do you feel about the whole thing now?

To me, it seems like it was an eternity ago, with the Smile Boxset actually feeling newer to me! The album itself links closely with some very fond memories from last summer that probably are the cause for the distant vision, but either way my opinions are very similar. I enjoy it greatly, though i can strongly see it's flaws as i did upon first listen. The production is the only thing that's changed in the sense that it's sort of settled in, but only in the sense that I've heard it so many times that I can't bother getting annoyed over it.

Still not a big fan of the title song, and never was. 

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Paulos
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »

I listened to TWGMTR yesterday in my car and was surprised to find that the autotune really bothered me. When it was first released I guess I was able to listen past it but it really bugged the crap out of me to the point of distraction, I was not really listening to the songs but to the robo-voices.

The title track is a strange one, I do like it but never quite loved it and I think I now know why - I can't sing along to the chorus, too much going on plus the pace of the song is just too languid. The last three songs are still incredible though, Robo-Jardine and all.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 12:05:13 PM »

Great album that I still listen to from time to time.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 12:09:05 PM »

I listened to the album like 20 times a day when it came out and I need to give myself some more time before I can listen to it again.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 12:11:25 PM »

In the grand scheme of things, after we are all long dead, this will be generously forgotten along with the rest of their post LA career. *1/2

I know that sounds harsh, because Isn't it Time is nice, and that one Jon Bon Jovi wrote sounds pretty good too, but the production is a dealbreaker for me. Maybe cos I'm a producer I'm more sensitive to that stuff, but it's totally unlistenable imo.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 12:18:37 PM »

mrmoustachioto, I feel about the same way as you do.

Re: the autotune, I have to admit that Mike's robo voice really adds something to the nostalgic feel of the "Shelter" chorus for me. Hard to explain.

Still love "The Private Life of Bill and Sue", can't help it. It's my fave alongside "Pacific Coast Highway".

Lots of nostalgic memories. Moved to a city far away from my homebase last autumn and TWGMTR was my personal soundtrack during the last few months I spent at home. Not a perfect album by any means but pretty sweet in its own occasionally flawed way.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 12:35:38 PM »

Still love "The Private Life of Bill and Sue", can't help it. It's my fave alongside "Pacific Coast Highway".

Totally agree. PCH is the only truly great track on TWGMTR.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:43:25 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 12:36:34 PM »

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:43:14 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 12:44:08 PM »

i don't understand the dislike for the title track. it's a classic. majestic even. the coda was absolutely breathtaking in concert.

i listen to From There To Back Again quite often. best song Brian has written in years.
i think the closing suite, and hopefully the yet-to-be-released songs that are also part of the so-called My Life Suite will be remembered and celebrated in Brian and the band's overall oeuvre.

yes certain production choices, especially the autotuning have permanently marred the album, but the material is so very strong in certain places. Beaches and Daybreak on the other hand... generously forgotten sounds good to me.  Wink
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »

Totally agree. PCH is the only truly great track on TWGMTR.

Yeah, for me it's pretty much the only thing that sounds like a potential classic. Love it! It's like TWGMTR's very own Good Timin'!

Re: the title track, personally I enjoy it and I would probably like it even better if it wasn't for the cheesy middle eight.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 12:54:38 PM »

Love the songs and arrangements. Hate the  vocal production. I'll give it eight points (last summer it was nine and a half, but nowadays I have zero tolerance for autotune).

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 12:57:03 PM »

The release coincided with going to the first of two C50 shows. It was a very exciting summer, and have great memories that I won't soon forget. I am still listening to the CD and I am still enthralled with the last four tracks. I just want to thank the guys again for putting aside their differences and creating an album that is as good as it is. The C50 Tour was no slouch either. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 01:46:55 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 12:58:14 PM »

Listening as I type I realize I really have a soft spot for "Daybreak Over the Ocean". Even like Baker's wailing bg vocals.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 01:29:19 PM »

Still love the album. The imo bad parts still bother me, too

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 02:38:38 PM »

The fact that it's already been a year is downright frightening.

I liked the album far more when it was new - the fact that it was new product by The Beach Boys, that they were on an ongoing tour, there was new youtube footage or interviews damn near every day...and there's also the fact that I got the cd after the first time I saw them on the tour, so I was all pumped up about seeing the BBs play, and also before the second time I would see them, so it geared me up for my next show.

Like pretty much any Beach Boys album, it has it's merits but also it's drawbacks. Even though it's the beginning of summertime, I still don't feel the urge to pull out this record and cruise around like I did last year. It was a Beach Boys reunion album and the Beach Boys reunion is over - so for me right now the album is based solely on it's musical merit. I find about half a good album here when all is said and done. For a 50 year old band, I suppose that's enough.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »

Listened to it a handful of times recently. It still sounds strong to me, all things considered. Wish we'd gotten slightly better vocal takes from Brian on "Shelter" and "Bill and Sue." The closing suite remains magnificent.

It really, for me, demonstrates the difference between a BW solo record and a BB album. If it had been released as the former, it would have been okay, and probably fallen somewhere between Imagination and TLOS in quality. The simple addition of the group's vocals, along with the lead spots from Mike and Al and Bruce, adds so much character and depth.

I have been a BW fan, primarily, from the beginning. (I was initiated the IJMFTT soundtrack and OCA, of all things.) But there is an undeniable magic hearing the guys together, regardless of the how or why it happened. I'm glad we got this album, and it is a fitting closer to their recorded studio work, if that's how it must be.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 03:59:01 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 03:42:50 PM »

I didn't like the album at first, thought it felt a bit too much like a cash-in, with stuff like Spring Vacation and especially Beaches In Mind. I still don't care for those songs, but I've come to notice just how good the good stuff is; Think About The Days and the last three tracks are all great, and tracks I previously thought were a bit too bland (Isn't It Time and Shelter in particular) I appreciate a little more now. I'm not a fan of Autotune, but I gotta give the album credit for using it very well, as it's not distracting or even all that noticeable to me. Still not a great album, but it's far from bad.

Still don't understand the comparisons with Sunflower though...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 03:47:26 PM by Judd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 04:55:17 PM »

The fact that we got a full album of all-new recordings (with the exception of "Daybreak", but at least that was fairly recent) with NO oldies, remakes, or superstar guest vocalists to violate the sanctity makes it better than we realilistically could have hoped for.  I mean really, given their track record, they could very easily have had Bon Jovi sing a verse of the song he co-wrote (with Richie Sambora playing a guitar solo), had Katy Perry duet with Mike on a rave-style mashup medley of "California Girls" and "California Gurls", had Justin Bieber rear his ugly little head someplace, thrown in a cover version or two and called it good. 

But no, they completed a nice, Brian-centric Beach Boys album of material that runs the gamut from OK to great, and that showcases the vocals of Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, and Jeff, and David's guitar, very nicely, with prominent instrumental contributions from the various support band members.  I'd call it a qualified success, with emphasis on "success'.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 05:14:39 PM »

The fact that we got a full album of all-new recordings (with the exception of "Daybreak", but at least that was fairly recent) with NO oldies, remakes, or superstar guest vocalists to violate the sanctity makes it better than we realilistically could have hoped for.  I mean really, given their track record, they could very easily have had Bon Jovi sing a verse of the song he co-wrote (with Richie Sambora playing a guitar solo), had Katy Perry duet with Mike on a rave-style mashup medley of "California Girls" and "California Gurls", had Justin Bieber rear his ugly little head someplace, thrown in a cover version or two and called it good. 

But no, they completed a nice, Brian-centric Beach Boys album of material that runs the gamut from OK to great, and that showcases the vocals of Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, and Jeff, and David's guitar, very nicely, with prominent instrumental contributions from the various support band members.  I'd call it a qualified success, with emphasis on "success'.
Can't argue with that!

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 05:38:03 PM »

Craig, as usual, doesn't just hit the nail on the head. He drives it into the piece of wood in one swift stroke.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 05:48:50 PM »

I still don't know... sometimes i dig the effort, some vocals, some decent songs, but then sometimes i just can't get over that bland production and the silly songs..
that big Beach Boys logo on the artwork is a bit of a shame cause i like the artwork, also putting a picture of the band in the back like in the old days, cool, makes it feel like trying to make one real new album in the catalogue following the rest.

Some songs are old but good enough some are recent and as good, i think it's alright, with a little change on the tracklist it could have been really better and much more effective, i'd love to hear Waves Of Love instead of Spring Vacation, definitely fits more the Beach Boys vibe and the album, plus Al is amazing! and why no Dave songs? poor guy, i liked his offer, i would have take it instead of Beaches In Mind, again, fits better in the style tho it brings a new fresh air without being ridiculous..

Yeah, put it that way i think i would like far more! but as is it? mmh i guess it's alright yeah, depends, but some of the best moments on it are really good, From there to back again, that's quite something and proves they should go on, tho it will always be visited by Joe Thomas and his effects, which bothers me..

But it's alright, i'm ok with that album.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 06:10:06 PM »

[...] and that showcases the vocals of Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, and Jeff, and David's guitar, very nicely, with prominent instrumental contributions from the various support band members.  I'd call it a qualified success, with emphasis on "success'.
I thought he hardly played anything on it?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 06:25:43 PM »

[...] and that showcases the vocals of Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, and Jeff, and David's guitar, very nicely, with prominent instrumental contributions from the various support band members.  I'd call it a qualified success, with emphasis on "success'.
I thought he hardly played anything on it?

Says who?  He definitely has prominent lead parts on "Shelter", "Beaches In Mind", "Strange World", and "Summer's Gone", as well as solid rhythm parts on many others. 
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 06:45:52 PM »

Great album.  Might still be my favorite album a year on from it's release.  It's in my cd player constantly. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 06:52:01 PM »

Definitely still diggin this album. "From There To Back Again" is still my favorite, with the title track in close 2nd. Even "Beaches In Mind" has grown on me.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx