gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:21:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TWGMTR - 1 year on...  (Read 29986 times)
Pacific Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2013, 06:39:21 AM »

My favorite tracks:
- Isn't It Time
- The Private Life of Bill and Sue
- Shelter
- Strange World

I like the "My Life" tracks too, and this record gets a lot of play, along with my favorite tracks from THAT LUCKY OLD SUN:
- Morning Beat
- Good Kind of Love
- California Role
- Going Home

I think the Gershwin/Disney pair is in alignment with Brian's Gemini nature: the tension between art and entertainment. I don't listen to anything other than "Nothing But Love" from those sessions. Great song.

The new Beach Boys Live is a joke. All that robo-sound is classic Brian Wilson humor, and maybe a social statement?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2013, 07:02:34 AM »

Since I reprogrammed my copy on iTunes to reflect the vinyl track listing, I still love it!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2013, 07:24:34 AM »

What's the vinyl track list?

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2013, 07:55:05 AM »

What's the vinyl track list?
reverse the middle 4 tracks

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2013, 09:08:30 AM »

Oh wow... I like that (just going though it in my head).  I'm going to make this tonight.  I'll use it to kick of my Beach Boy-listening summer!!!

So, what't the reason for the vinyl order?  Unless it's just for "technical reasons" I would think it reflects an admission of some uncertainty with the order.  which is something I felt immediately with the CD.  Which came first CD or vinyl?  
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:29:13 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2013, 09:54:16 AM »

Correct, to balance the running times on each side.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2013, 10:06:54 AM »

I pretty much love this album.  Played it a ton last summer, still play it occasionally. 

I think FTTBA is a legit all-time "melancholy" Beach Boys classic, and Isn't It Time is allllmost a legit all-time "fun" Beach Boys classic.

I'm always surprised by the hate that Bill & Sue get, I realize the verse lyrics are kinda cheesy, and the verses themselves aren't super exciting, but man, that chorus is so much fun, so many voices, so great to sing along to, and perfectly fine lyrically.  (I also think it's some kind of awesome that there's a new Beach Boys song from 2012 that's about reality TV and namechecks Jersey Shore (well, maybe the place more than the show, but still))

And and and I know two people named Bill and Sue who are a real life couple, so that's fun.

When i first got the album I made my own mix of it, removing Daybreak and Beaches in Mind, and adding Don't Fight the Sea.  But you know what, eventually I started to miss Daybreak and Beaches.   I'd be lying if I said I haven't woken up in the morning humming those songs to myself more than once.  They do get pretty catchy after a few listens.

I also like that you can sorta make two EPs out of this if you want, one of more respectable, mature, melancholy Beach Boys, and one of cheesier, funner Beach Boys.

No autotune complaints really, no production issues, I think Al sounds great on FTTBA, and I can hear the Harpsichord in Shelter just fine  Smiley

I think this album is a minor miracle, all things considering, and pretty darn good, not considering any things.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2013, 10:24:13 AM »

Still love this this album. It's a miracle that it happened at all, and for them to deliver what (at least for the Beach Boys) is a 4-5 star album is the ultimate gift to the fans. Even more so than the tour (which was also phenomenal).

There are some weak tracks (Private Life, Shelter and Daybreak), but there are no bad tracks. And some tracks rank among their best, ever.

Still hoping against hope for the "rock n roll" album, but I realize there's almost no chance of that happening...
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2013, 10:54:02 AM »

All this having a go at BergenWhitesMoustache is growing increasingly irritating to read. The guy is entitled to his opinions. (And with reference to another recent thread, he was spot on re Brian/Dennis' 70's output).

Annnnyway, TWGMTR: six good-great songs, two ok songs, four absolutely appalling songs. And in no way whatsoever does it rank above Shut Down Vol 2 for Christ's sake!
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2013, 11:04:39 AM »

Oh wow... I like that (just going though it in my head).  I'm going to make this tonight.  I'll use it to kick of my Beach Boy-listening summer!!!

So, what't the reason for the vinyl order?  Unless it's just for "technical reasons" I would think it reflects an admission of some uncertainty with the order.  which is something I felt immediately with the CD.  Which came first CD or vinyl?  

I thought that it was re-sequenced to create a fun-in-the-sun Side 1 and a more introspective and personal Brian Wilson Side 2. It certainly worked out that way. If the changes were made for timing considerations then this was a happy accident.

Beaches In Mind is kind of bad and the album should have included a couple of faster-paced real rockers. It doesn't sound as good as it did a year ago- the rose tint is wearing off- but it's a good album nonetheless. I'd still rate it as their best since Surf's Up.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:18:07 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Nicko1234
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2013, 11:53:09 AM »

All this having a go at BergenWhitesMoustache is growing increasingly irritating to read. The guy is entitled to his opinions.

I don't think anyone has an issue with him giving an opinion.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2013, 12:45:46 PM »

Seems to me all he did do was offer an opinion initially, and got some smart comment, which was just a bitchy comment, nothing serious. We all do it. Yes, he overreacted a bit, but as the guy said he had a bad cold. Again, we've all come on here in a bad mood before and taken stuff too seriously. Then no one want to back down and it turns into a big pissing match. Bergen adds some good stuff to the threads. Just let it go, that's my thoughts.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2013, 01:24:35 PM »

I'm not sure how I feel about the album 1 year on, it's definitely good

At the time I felt relived it wasn't a total abomination but why did we set the bar so low? This is The Beach Boys, the greatest band of all time. I'm starting to feel it could've been a lot better.

That said, I wouldn't change the last 3 songs for anything .

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2013, 07:07:59 PM »

I like it more than now than I did initially though its still a 3/5 album at best for me.

FTTBA is fantastic and way more than I expected when I heard JT was involved. Pacific Coast Highway is really pretty and I enjoy most of the other stuff quite a bit like TWGMTR, Isnt it time, Strange world.

Lots of throwaway but fun stuff. I think I'm in the minority in finding "Summers Gone" quite boring.

Count me in the minority then. It's pleasant enough, and very very pretty, but doesn't blow my mind. No complaints about it, though.

As if that wasn't enough to put the quality of my taste into question, I've gotta say that I really like everything on this album except Shepter and Bill&Sue. I moved Think About the Days between Beaches in Mind and Strange World a week after release and never looked back. Despite the sudden shift in tone, I don't find it jarring and I think it does well as a transition piece. It's nice to have the title track lead off the album, as well, and while TWGMTR (the song... and album, I guess) isn't a work of art, it is a fun, idiosyncratic world of its own.

Isn't it Time is a great singalong, and I like all of its permutations but still think they could've made it PERFECT somehow.

Spring Vacay and Beaches in Mind remind me of Los Lonely Boys' Heaven, what with the Fender tone and early 00s production value. That doesn't bother me, but it tells you where Brian and Joe's headspace was. It's the Beach Boys- The "rockers" are always going to be pop at heart, and now it's soft rock pop. As for lyrics? It's a little late for BB fans to be taking issue with lyrics. I love both SV and BIM. No apologies.

Daybreak gets a bad rap. Mike sings it well, Christian keeps it pretty and somewhat Carl-y (a lil' at least), and the melody is not without it's charms.

Strange World sounds the most like what I would expect modern Disney Brian to sound like, and FTTBA takes that side of things and gives it a funky, forward thinking BW twist that I adore. Pacific Coast Highway and Summer's Gone are nice vignettes that add up to a sum greater than its parts.

I love this album. Shelter and Bill&Sue are unimaginative and inoffensive, without the toe-tapping guitar fun of BIM and Spring Vacay, but don't ruin the experience for me. I played it a lot. It made my summer last year, and was my first/only contemporary release by the band other than TSS. It sounds like The Beach Boys to me, even without Carl, and I forgive it every quirk and misstep simply for existing.
Excellent post!  This is pretty much exactly how I feel.  I made a few shifts to the tracklist as well.  I played this album (usually my tracklist) A LOT last summer.  And when it ended, would usually play it again -- sometime three or four times in a row.

So your tracklist is to just move the opener between Beaches In Mind and Strange World?  I'll have to try that.

Thanks, man. Reading this thread, I feel like I should give the vinyl play list a spin to see if I like it better. But I'm probably set on this one for life-- Too many listens to change now.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2013, 12:33:17 AM »

I thought that it was re-sequenced to create a fun-in-the-sun Side 1 and a more introspective and personal Brian Wilson Side 2. It certainly worked out that way. If the changes were made for timing considerations then this was a happy accident.

Beaches In Mind is kind of bad and the album should have included a couple of faster-paced real rockers. It doesn't sound as good as it did a year ago- the rose tint is wearing off- but it's a good album nonetheless. I'd still rate it as their best since Surf's Up.

'Their best since Surf's Up'? Seriously? I mean, yes, it's all just individual opinion etc., but really.... TWGMTR better than the mighty Holland? An album featuring Carl and Dennis in their song-writing prime; an album with Trader and Only With You on it; an album with Mike and Al's finest ever collaboration on it; an album with Sail On Sailor and two of Brian's most eccentric, fun, crazy productions ever on it... TWGMTR is better than that? And better than Love You? Wow.

Personally, I'd say TWGMTR is their best since Beach Boys '85 (there's nothing on it as powerful as Where I Belong, but in terms of consistency it's superior), arguably their best since L.A. Light Album. Hey ho, each to their own...
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2013, 12:43:19 AM »

Correct, to balance the running times on each side.

Really?!

Total length of tracks 1-6: 18:58
Total length of tracks 7-12: 19:54

Total length of tracks 1-4, 8, 7: 18:36
Total length of tracks 6, 5, 9-12: 20:16

Dividing the CD tracklist into two would actually produce a more "balanced" split than rearranging them like they did!  Not that there are any particularly compelling technical reasons why the running times of each side of a vinyl record need to be balanced anyway.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2013, 12:45:50 AM »

The overall consensus (which, admittedly, is very hard for the more spirited posters here to take seriously...) is that TWGMTR is right in the middle of the pack of all the BB studio LPs, just below Smiley Smile and just above Shut Down Vol 2.

Well, there's proof that we should take such ranking with a pinch of salt. "TWGMTR" is above the album with "Fun, fun, fun", "Don't Worry Baby" and "The Warmth of the Sun" on it.

If the presence of three solid gold Beach Boys classics were the sole mark of a great album, there'd be more love for Still Cruisin'.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2013, 12:49:02 AM »

The overall consensus (which, admittedly, is very hard for the more spirited posters here to take seriously...) is that TWGMTR is right in the middle of the pack of all the BB studio LPs, just below Smiley Smile and just above Shut Down Vol 2.

Well, there's proof that we should take such ranking with a pinch of salt. "TWGMTR" is above the album with "Fun, fun, fun", "Don't Worry Baby" and "The Warmth of the Sun" on it.

If the presence of three solid gold Beach Boys classics were the sole mark of a great album, there'd be more love for Still Cruisin'.

Well, not counting the old tracks, (which had already appeared on albums and cannot therefore be counted), which tracks are you referring to?  Razz
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2013, 12:58:11 AM »

Well, not counting the old tracks, (which had already appeared on albums and cannot therefore be counted), which tracks are you referring to?  Razz

I'm totally counting the old tracks.  They're on the album!
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2013, 01:06:24 AM »

I do like the idea that previously released material remains impervious to counting though.  They should have called last year's compilation "0 Big Ones".
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2013, 01:28:09 AM »

The running order of the vinyl LP may well have been changed for reasons technical rather than artistic but it makes for a better flow. Bill & Sue especially works much better musically in the context into which it is placed...though it's still not a strong song.

Overall, TWGMTR was a far better album than I expected. It was no car crash, has no truly dire tracks on it...of the songs I consider to be good some are quite fun and some are quite deep.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2013, 02:46:30 AM »

'Their best since Surf's Up'? Seriously? I mean, yes, it's all just individual opinion etc., but really.... TWGMTR better than the mighty Holland?

I'd even go as far as to say it's their best since Sunflower! Grin

That is, I shouldn't really state it as a fact like I just did, because as you say, it's all just individual opinion. The fact is that both CATP and Holland bore me to death, but that shouldn't make you enjoy them less.

What I really didn't expect about a new BB album was that there would be songs on it I enjoy listening to just as much as their old hits. In fact there's four of them: Think About The Days, Isn't It Time, Strange World, and Summer's Gone.

Two other surprises were Spring Vacation, which I enjoy listening to way more than I would a song of that style, and that there's a good Mike Love song on it. Daybreak is his best since Big Sur, I think. (The "First Love" version of that is atrocious, though, so the way a song is recorded can make a huge difference!) Mike's vocals are the best since Holland.

Beaches In Mind should have been a heavy rocker. The verses have really no arrangement at all. One of the lacks of TWGMTR is that it doesn't have any rocker on it. (They should have finished the Paley version of Desert Drive for this album, with Mike on lead...)

The title track... is pleasurable, but does suffer from the too clean production. In concert it was much more impressive. I still learned to play it on the guitar, so this and Isn't It Time are the only post-60s BB song I can play.

A strange thing is that the famous FTTBA leaves me absolutely cold. So be it.

The only piece I enjoy a bit less than at first is the opener, which after more listens seems a bit repetitive, but still gorgeous.

Now the parts I don't like... The first two lines of the verses to Shelter are really bad, both arrangementwise and melodywise. Reminds me of bad German Volksmusik. The chorus though is absolutely beautiful. And there's a song...
I'm always surprised by the hate that Bill & Sue get
...which I think is the worst they ever did, worse than the worst on SIP! Roll Eyes

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2013, 03:07:41 AM »

Best one since Surf's Up? Wow... Very enjoyable but, for me, nowhere near as good as Surf's Up, Holland, Love You, even the Light Album. In my estimation this new one is much closer to the better moments on Still Cruisin', SIP, Imagination, and some of the stuff on TLOS. You can't beat what the original group did together I think and it's all perfectly natural.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2013, 04:32:17 AM »

I still enjoy this album and think it is the best that we could reasonably have expected from the group at this point in their careers.

I like the album too. Okay, there are some tracks I'll sometimes skip, but there are tracks I'll skip on some of the 60s BBs albums too. Brian has always put some amazing songs and some not-so-amazing songs on albums (Pet Sounds and Smile excepted). And with those late 60s/early 70s albums people are citing, there was songwriting/singing support from Carl and Dennis. Considering they're not around, this album is really good. The last three tracks make it worthwhile and something to be proud of.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2013, 05:39:42 AM »

Year after I still like the record. Nothing changed - favorites remained favorites & least are least, though to Bill & Sue's defense, I'd say the verses & the intro are rather pleasant. Currently I'm more into Daybreak over the Ocean. Minus Spanish-sounding guitar, it's impeccable! Great singing from Mike & Co.! And Beaches in Mind is cool! Glad to see some Smiley Smilers dig it too.

Re autotune use: imo it sounds very stylish, esp. on Mike's & Al's vocs. Good to know The Boys try sth. modern & fresh, without going to extremes. Also, it's quite entertaining to hear them in this sort of way.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx