gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:50:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TWGMTR - 1 year on...  (Read 30321 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2013, 08:39:45 PM »

I remember being really relieved that it was credible, that - after two decades of utter dross - it wasn't appalling.

Yeah, man, you tell 'em. All those albums of originals from the Beach Boys between 1992 and and 2012 were total dross. I mean I can't believe they put out... um... uh... uhhhh... d'ehhhh... hm... erm... uhhhhhh... um... ummmmm... d'yeehhhh.... n'yehhhhhh... rehhhhh... b'dehmmmmm... b'ffff, I don't... ehm... boof... uhm... if you... did you... I mean, uh... d'yehhh... d'yeeehhhhh squidward... d'yeeehhhhh squidward... d'yeeehhhhh squidward... d'yeeehhhhh squidward... d'yeeehhhhh squidward... d'yeeehhhhh squidward... d'yeeehhhhh squidward... d'yeeehhhhh squidward... d'yeeehhhhh squidward... d'yeeehhhhh squidward... d'yeeehhhhh squidward... d'yeeehhhhh squidward... d'yeeehhhhh squidward... uhhhh... uhhhhhhhhhhhh... hm... hmmmm... HMMMM... NNNGGGGHHHHHHH>.... HHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......... A>JJJJJJJJJJJFJJJJJJJJJJJJ.................. APPPPPRPRPAPAPRPAPRPAR.................. FIDDLEFADDLEWIDDLEWADDLE......... PIF... PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF PIF PIF PIF PIF PIF PIF PIF PIF PIF PIFPIF PIF CITY PIF CITY PIF CITY PIF CITY RAE DAWN CHUNG RAE DAWN CHUNG RAE DAWN CHUNG RAE DAWN CHUNG RAE DAWN CHUNG RAE DAWN CHUNG RAE DAWN CHUNG RAAAEE DAWWWN CHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNG KISS THE MIDGET. KISS HIM. KISS HIM. KISS THE MIDGET. KISS. THE. MIDGET. KIIIISS THE MIDGETETETEGETEGETG KISS THE FUCKING MIDGET DOO DOO DOOO DOO DODO WHERE THE DEEEEERAND THE ANTELOOPE PLAAAAAAAYYYYY KISS. THE MIDGET. KISS. THE MIDGET. KISS. THE MIDGET. KISS. THE MIDGET. KISS. THE MIDGET. KISS. THE MIDGET. KISS. THE MIDGET.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »

yeah man. genitals and stuff. that's hilarious.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2013, 11:27:17 PM »

Oh man Disney Boy.... you're making this so difficult. All This is That is absolutely phenomenal. Unfortunately it's sandwiched by dreadful shoot-me-in-the-face muck.  Grin hahaha - but seriously if someone introduced me to the Beach Boys with Make It Good and Cuddle Up, I would disown them if they were my child, defriend them if a friend, quit my job if they were my boss, fire them if they were my employee, lose my faith if they were my priest, and get divorced if my wife. Anyone with me here? Anyone??

Well, since you asked...

I like "Cuddle Up" quite a bit. But, I'll agree with you on "Make It Good." I'm as big a Dennis fan as anyone, but for me, "Make It Good" embodies all the worst, most overwrought and ponderous tendencies x 10 that Dennis could ever be accused of. He was rarely off-mark in the channeling of his emotions and instincts, yet, he was with this one.

But...that's just me.

I'm with you guys. Make it Good is the only song from the Carl led era I just can't listen to.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2013, 12:36:02 AM »

Nah man, it's not "easily" the best since Holland, that would be ignoring some of the few decent songs that can appear on M.I.U., KTSA, L.A. that even has a decent production (not the best for some of them but at least isn't insulted by autotune), and overall the great Love You which works far better as a whole and even tries to aim for something different and refreshing.. so come on, not "easily".

Agreed. It's easily their best since Beach Boys '85, that's about as far as I'd be willing to stretch it personally... Love You is consistently good throughout, whereas TWGMTR swags dreadfully in the middle. And the highlights on L.A. are better than the highlights on TWGMTR. There's nothing on the latter to rival Baby Blue.

Wait a minute - you think From There to Back Again does not at least RIVAL Baby Blue?!?! And "Baby Blue" of all songs??? Wow man. You can't say "there's nothing on (TWGMTR) to rival Baby Blue" as if that's definitively true and expect that to go unchallenged. I seriously mean no offense by this, but honest to god that is one of the most ludicrous things I've heard in a while. Maybe you're joking, it's hard to tell with these posts sometime!!

FTTBA is an absolute stone cold Beach Boys masterpiece. I love pretty much everything they've done, but you'd have a hard time saying that about any BB song since at least Love You, if not earlier. My opinion of course.

All in good fun man, but wow, honest to go I cannot even process your view on this, if you're serious.

The last 3 songs on TWGMTR are probably the best 3 consecutive songs on a Beach Boys album since Surf's Up.

It may not be the best album since Holland, but definitively since Love You (and I'm a big fan of MIU, to boot).

Make It Good/All This Is That/Cuddle Up.

Oh man Disney Boy.... you're making this so difficult. All This is That is absolutely phenomenal. Unfortunately it's sandwiched by dreadful shoot-me-in-the-face muck.  Grin hahaha - but seriously if someone introduced me to the Beach Boys with Make It Good and Cuddle Up, I would disown them if they were my child, defriend them if a friend, quit my job if they were my boss, fire them if they were my employee, lose my faith if they were my priest, and get divorced if my wife. Anyone with me here? Anyone??

That's one of the fascinating things about the Beach Boys: you can get two people, both of who are huge fans of the group, and yet who can both have completely different tastes in music.

For the record, it seems to me that you've just flat-out misunderstood Make It Good and Cuddle Up, the latter of which in particular is just arse-clenchingly fabulous.

To put it another way, if its a choice between Dennis Wilson in his song-writing prime, writing songs with enormous emotional intensity, or some Joe Thomas productions, well I know where I stand.

Which brings me on to the very worst thing about TWGMTR, something even worse than the auto-tune, and that's the instrumentation. I mean, Christ, it is bland. Back in the day, a Brian Wilson production could have the cheesiest lyrics imaginable, but something you could always rely on was that the instrumental track would be great. He knew what sounded nice, what sounded fresh, what sounded tasteful.

However, on TWGMTR the instrumentation is frequently ghastly. MOR guitar. Michael MacDonald-style keyboards. There are exceptions - the life suite for example - but more often than not it sounds like the Beach Boys are singing over the top of some Katie Melua backing tracks.

So how any Beach Boys fan can prefer this to Holland or Love You (or even CATP) is, to me, completely unfathomable...
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2013, 04:29:18 AM »

A near-great record! 4 and a half out of 5 stars. Improved by the vinyl sequencing.

I've interwoven the tracks of TWGMTR with those of Gershwin and Disney, with Al's Don't Fight the Sea thrown in for good measure, and come up with a seamless compilation.

If these are warm-up to a renewed creative commitment, I'd say something special is coming our way!
DMBeard_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2013, 07:02:11 AM »

http://www.examiner.com/article/brian-wilson-s-11th-solo-album-on-its-way

In Music,
David
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2013, 07:28:37 AM »

YES!!!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2013, 09:06:38 AM »

Which brings me on to the very worst thing about TWGMTR, something even worse than the auto-tune, and that's the instrumentation. I mean, Christ, it is bland. Back in the day, a Brian Wilson production could have the cheesiest lyrics imaginable, but something you could always rely on was that the instrumental track would be great. He knew what sounded nice, what sounded fresh, what sounded tasteful.

That's a solid point.  Honestly -- I think after BW'88, I just tossed aside any notion of a BW/BB record ever being "interesting" in the instrumentation dep't.  Especially a Beach Boy record.  Interesting arrangements - sure.  Interesting vocals/harmonies -- expected.  But instrumentation -- no.  I'm not saying he hasn't done interesting things instumentationally -- but I'm not expecting it.

After BW'88 (and you could argue BB'85 -- to the extent he was involved) I assumed Brian was solely focused on finding, exploring and expressing his sensitive, personal feelings -- first and foremost -- in the most satisfying way.  His feels.  And tidying up his songwriting skills and using his formula of harmonies and little feels -- that's his zone.  The musical aesthetic with regards to the sonic "textures" (AKA "the production") was, at best, just a neat, "nice-to-have."

I mean, it was enough for him to just be there, in the studio.  That's why we have Joe Thomas, etc.  Brian probably agreed he wanted to express his ideas "normally" -- as best as possible, and in the fashion of the times.  And just let the musical ideas do the talking, rather than the studio trickery and combining four basses and ten guitars through a leslie speaker.  If that makes sense.

In other words -- Brian bailed on being the Producer that he was, a looong time ago.  After SMiLE, pretty much.  Maybe Wild Honey.  That's my opinion.  Love You and 15 Big'ins are his moderate "return" to producing.  And I think he phoned that in just enough to get a sound .... which is why I love it!  Brian was really just being his anti-producing self, a la Wild Honey Smiley Smile.  But it was so freakishly simple that it scored points in the instrumentation/production dep't, because in 1977 everybody was doing big, glossy disco.

But I don't think he cares about producing or getting interesting with instrumentation anymore.  Obviously.

Michael MacDonald-style keyboards.
LOL

dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2013, 09:41:02 AM »

Anybody have any idea how much TWGMTR has sold so far?  I know it started strong and dropped fast, did it get to 500,000 units at least?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2013, 10:36:13 AM »

Anyone remember when vintagemusic claimed it would sell 3-5 million copies?  LOL

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2013, 05:03:27 PM »

I was listening to the 2002 California Feelin' version, it is interesting how that's 10 years away from TWGMTR but how it does similar, in every way possible, the voice (with less effects tho), the sound, the band .. i was thinking how it could really fit in that album, reworking on a personal version of that album, i would definitely put this instead of Beaches In Mind and leave it there, seems to sounds nice right after Daybreak Over The Ocean
oldsurferdude
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2013, 06:17:40 PM »

I was listening to the 2002 California Feelin' version, it is interesting how that's 10 years away from TWGMTR but how it does similar, in every way possible, the voice (with less effects tho), the sound, the band .. i was thinking how it could really fit in that album, reworking on a personal version of that album, i would definitely put this instead of Beaches In Mind and leave it there, seems to sounds nice right after Daybreak Over The Ocean
Most anything by anybody would sound spectacular after hearing Daybreak Over The Ocean unless, of course, you're prone to liking trash like kohkohmoe.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2013, 06:29:37 PM »

Most anything by anybody would sound spectacular after hearing Daybreak Over The Ocean unless, of course, you're prone to liking trash like kohkohmoe.
You have to admit though, that the refrain/chorus is catchy as hell. Adding the Boys on top of the original vocals sounds terrific. Actually, it would have been better had they dropped a verse and added another chorus. Christian's vocal really adds the Carl vocal missing in many of the other songs on the Album.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2013, 07:06:42 PM »

Hahahaha, well i'm not part of the Kokomo fans that's for sure.. but i don't mind that little Daybreak track, they did a nice job on a song that has some nice verses and chorus, nothing near groundbreaking or revolutionary of course.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2013, 07:21:04 PM »

Is spelling words or names that you dislike supposed to be funny and/or insulting and/or clever? Because its obviously none of those. It's just stupid. Incredibly stupid. You must be what, 13 years old? Maybe a really immature 14 year old? Grow up. My God.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:23:37 PM by TimmyC » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2013, 08:07:07 PM »

Is spelling words or names that you dislike supposed to be funny and/or insulting and/or clever? Because its obviously none of those. It's just stupid. Incredibly stupid. You must be what, 13 years old? Maybe a really immature 14 year old? Grow up. My God.
You're absolutely right, it's none of those and if it annoys you, all the better!! But for Christ's sake, get a little more creative with your name calling, will you Timmy? Razz
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:09:08 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2013, 10:40:33 PM »

You're absolutely right, it's none of those and if it annoys you, all the better!! But for Christ's sake, get a little more creative with your name calling, will you Timmy? Razz

Why on Earth do you bother, oldsurferdude?  What do you get out of posting random insulting drivel at every opportunity?  I'm asking out of genuine curiosity here.  What itch is this scratching for you?

Regards,
Jon Blum
Paulos
« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2013, 01:48:21 AM »

Why on Earth do you bother, oldsurferdude?  What do you get out of posting random insulting drivel at every opportunity?  I'm asking out of genuine curiosity here.  What itch is this scratching for you?

Regards,
Jon Blum

To be fair to OSD a lot of his recent posts have been relevant to the topic in hand and have not mentioned his hatred of Mike/Bruce which has been a refreshing change. On the flipside you also get posts with the tiresome mis-spelling.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2013, 02:35:00 AM »

I listened to TWGMTR yesterday in my car and was surprised to find that the autotune really bothered me. When it was first released I guess I was able to listen past it but it really bugged the crap out of me to the point of distraction, I was not really listening to the songs but to the robo-voices.

The title track is a strange one, I do like it but never quite loved it and I think I now know why - I can't sing along to the chorus, too much going on plus the pace of the song is just too languid. The last three songs are still incredible though, Robo-Jardine and all.

There is no joy in your soul. TWGMTR is what it is. If you can't listen to without obsessing about 'autotune' - about which I suspect you know very little - then I am sorry for you.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2013, 02:53:05 AM »

I listened to TWGMTR yesterday in my car and was surprised to find that the autotune really bothered me. When it was first released I guess I was able to listen past it but it really bugged the crap out of me to the point of distraction, I was not really listening to the songs but to the robo-voices.

The title track is a strange one, I do like it but never quite loved it and I think I now know why - I can't sing along to the chorus, too much going on plus the pace of the song is just too languid. The last three songs are still incredible though, Robo-Jardine and all.

There is no joy in your soul. TWGMTR is what it is. If you can't listen to without obsessing about 'autotune' - about which I suspect you know very little - then I am sorry for you.

There is no empathy in your brain. Other people are what they are. If you can't read other peoples posts  without obsessing about 'viewpoints other than your own' - about which I suspect you know very little - then I am sorry for you.
Paulos
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2013, 03:16:00 AM »

There is no empathy in your brain. Other people are what they are. If you can't read other peoples posts  without obsessing about 'viewpoints other than your own' - about which I suspect you know very little - then I am sorry for you.

Thank you Stephen.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2013, 03:32:54 AM »

Smiley
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2013, 07:14:30 AM »

On what grounds can one expect that another knows 'very little' about auto-tune?...there is not a lot to know really.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2013, 08:48:07 AM »

So it's been a while since I actually listened to the released version of this album.  I had decided early on that I didn't care for 4 of the tracks (Bill and Sue, Shelter, Beaches In Mind and Strange World).
So I made up my own version adding tracks from Postcard (DFTS, Drivin', WoL, Alway Will... sometimes taking out WoL for San Simeon).  I decided I liked it better that way.

But with the 1-year anniversary of the CD, I decided to go back to it for a fresh listen.

Only this time I used the vinyl sequencing.

And I have to say, that makes a huge difference for me.  I'm really able to enjoy the whole thing all the way through.

Yes, I hear the bland instrumentation and the overly processed vocals and the other JT touches and I don't like that, but every one of these songs has something to offer.

And with the new sequencing, I find myself starting to appreciate the bvs and arrangement of Bill and Sue. And the chorus of Shelter (I wish it was Carl and not Jeff we were hearing, that song just yearns for Carl).
Beaches in Mind is somehow less annoying placed after SV.

Bottom line, I've always looked past its flaws and enjoyed it, but I like it more now than I did a year ago.

New Sequence =
TATD
Radio
IIT
SV
BIM
Daybreak
Shelter
B&S
SW
FTTBA
PCH
SG

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
JoelBarrish
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2013, 11:37:28 AM »

This record definitely has a soft spot in my heart being the only Beach Boys record of new material that I was able to purchase on release day. I can only imagine how cool it was for folks who've been following them for decades. I mean, it's pretty crazy considering their history that they were able to get back together and release it.
I revisited it last night, and my opinion of the record is pretty similar to what I felt a year ago, possibly mildly more negative now that the "new" factor has waned.

It's just a forgettable album. Neither good, nor bad as a whole, with some good, and some bad parts. Having never heard Summer In Paradise, I don't really know if I can call it the worst produced of their records, but it's gotta be close. I mean, the lead guitar in "Spring Vacation"?!?! Really Jeff Baxter? But the production, for me, can't hide that most of the songs are just bland. Sure, I know some folks love the suite at the end, and I think it's fine, but I think you'd be hard pressed to include any of them up to par with Beach Boys prime moments. And maybe that's where I'm looking at it all wrong, maybe it shouldn't be compared to the Beach Boys of old. With the lack of Dennis and Carl, how can it even be comparable?

In ten years, the production alone of this record will be seriously dated. To me, this was the first time the band, as a whole, sounded as though they were just going through the motions. Sure, you had some bad songs on some decent albums at times, "Sumahama anyone?", but it still sounded as though they were attempting to push forward. This record doesn't have that factor to me. And it doesn't need to, their back catalog speaks for itself. And how many people do you know at their age that have put out anything half decent? Even Sir Paul has been fairly meh since Chaos And Creation In The Backyard.

Don't mean to step on y'all's toes either, I know how defensive y'all get.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx