gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:39:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ID'ing The Brian Wilson 1965 "Girl Scouts" Pic Just Posted On Facebook  (Read 19257 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2013, 11:39:28 AM »

I think it might be easier to date the everly brothers photo.  Brian is either visiting them backstage at a concert or a tv taping. You'd need to see where they appeared in the la area in 1965-66.

It didn't look to my eyes like the Everlys photo was from the same Capitol event as the other photos.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2013, 11:46:36 AM »

I think it might be easier to date the everly brothers photo.  Brian is either visiting them backstage at a concert or a tv taping. You'd need to see where they appeared in the la area in 1965-66.

In the picture thread someone mentioned way back that the Everly picture was taken backstage in '66 at a show at the Hollywood Bowl. However this site doesn't mention an Everly Brothers show in '66:
http://gogonotes.blogspot.de/2008/12/60s-rock-n-roll-at-bowl.html
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:48:54 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2013, 11:49:58 AM »

Brian had a habit for closing his eyes when a picture is being taken, I think he still does it now  LOL

Have you ever had your pic taken with those old phosphorous flashbulbs??

They will nearly blind you for a few seconds.

I dont blame him for flinching -- many of those girls are too.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2013, 05:17:56 PM »

This photo which seemed to be new for most people seeing it showed up on Brian's Facebook yesterday, showing him with a group of Girl Scouts holding copies of "The Little Girl I Once Knew" 45rpm single:

The Badman book, which is the only one I've had a chance to reference so far, lists a date of January 3, 1966 for a special presentation held at Capitol Records in LA where Voyle Gilmore recognized them for all of their gold-selling albums up to that point. This photo and caption is from a later issue of Billboard magazine:

This is a photo from Getty showing an unidentified younger man interviewing the band at this event:

And these are more images taken from Getty showing the same gold record event at Capitol:

Notice Brian's clothes and hair are exactly the same in the Girl Scout photo as in the photos of the actual event and press conference, and the photos also show them wearing coats and winter clothes which would line up with a January 1966 date...perhaps.

But looking at all these photos together, I believe the Girl Scout photo was indeed taken at Capitol studios either before or after the actual presentation and press event with Voyle Gilmore, and it would make sense to have a series of photo-ops and media events scheduled at the Capitol tower that same day when everyone was there. In January 1966, the "Little Girl..." single was still, I believe, the current Beach Boys single in the stores, though it was released earlier in November.

The Capitol studio location...I'm pretty confident that's where it was shot, but am not 100% sure.

The Badman book's date of Jan 3, 1966...can anyone prove or disprove that date of the Voyle Gilmore press event?

While researching something else, I found a variation of the presentation photo in the December 29, 1965 issue of KFWB Hitline.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:18:12 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »

This is GOOD!  The "unidentified young man" is now ID'd! 
and I love how above the Beach Boys pic there's a separate article which talks about "the Pied Piper"; this probably came back to Brian some years later in a dream...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2013, 05:48:49 PM »

Just doing a search on Ron Tepper. Trivia time. Turns out he wrote the recall letter for the Beatles 'Butcher Cover' in 1966.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Beatles-Butcher-Cover-Recall-Letter-s-all-4-Styles-EMAILED-to-You-/200955104759?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2ec9db8df7
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2013, 12:11:44 AM »

So once again Badman is proven wrong. I only hope his books on other bands are considerably more accurate than the Diary.

OK, so "B-f-A" not released yet, so prior to 12/20... "TLGIOK" moving up the charts means... meh, any time in December. Phooey. Although, "rapidly" would indicate the early weeks of charting, so between 11/27 and 12/11. That's my two cents.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2013, 09:17:31 AM »

This is a great update to the saga of those photos! Very cool to get the new info, thank you.

We have a two-week span between 11/27 and 12/11 that the event and photos could have taken place - it's amazing to not have a firm date anywhere in the news or various literature of the day, even a dated caption with the photo or something would have helped!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2013, 09:56:31 AM »

This is a great update to the saga of those photos! Very cool to get the new info, thank you.

We have a two-week span between 11/27 and 12/11 that the event and photos could have taken place - it's amazing to not have a firm date anywhere in the news or various literature of the day, even a dated caption with the photo or something would have helped!

Maybe we can get Brian to post the back of the photo on facebook too - thats where all the dates, etc is.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2013, 10:26:19 AM »

In the promo video with the 5 BB taking a raft into the pool at BW house isn't BW wearing the same shirt + vest as in this photo..?? I know its in black + white but who knows..? Or do I have a faulty memory.?
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2013, 01:56:03 PM »

In the promo video with the 5 BB taking a raft into the pool at BW house isn't BW wearing the same shirt + vest as in this photo..?? I know its in black + white but who knows..? Or do I have a faulty memory.?

Brian didn't wear a vest in the Sloop promo, and his shirt was of a darker shade.

Incidentally, the clip was filmed at Carl Wilson's Coldwater Canyon house, as reported in the August 1966 issue of Tiger Beat.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2013, 02:41:32 PM »

Ok thanks faulty memory I guess..
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx