gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:54:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bands/singers you've mixed up  (Read 23413 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2018, 06:01:45 PM »

2Buckethead - You did really? Ray's voice is too distinct to mistake it. "Sunny Afternoon" is big favorite by The Kinks, bigger than "Waterloo Sunset". Re: John Sebastian, I'd say he's the Doug Sahm of LS. Doug Sahm is founder, lead singer & main songwriter of the Texan band Sir Douglas Quintet. He & John even kinda look alike.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2018, 10:59:50 PM »

RRA1 - That's why I said that I was embarrassed to say it. I think that what confused me was more the style of Sunny Afternoon
than the voice. It is kind of Lovin' Spoonful-ish, IMO.   
KDS
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2018, 06:16:42 AM »

There was a time when I thought Go All the Way by the Raspberries was Fleetwood Mac. 

Also, I'm ashamed to admit this on a BB board, but I used to think Surf City and Little Old Lady from Pasadena were Beach Boys songs. 
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2018, 09:42:13 AM »

the latter two  songs, I'm sure, are still BB songs in the minds of many.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2018, 02:57:44 PM »

Yes indeed. It kinda makes sense but not really - BBs' vocals differ drastically than J&D's. They're better, cooler, brighter. J&D smoke shyly in the corner. People should've realized it way before. But what funny, I still see "Beach Boys The Lion Sleeps Tonight" in various sites. The mind boggles. Roll Eyes

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2018, 03:26:13 PM »

There was a time when I thought Go All the Way by the Raspberries was Fleetwood Mac. 

Also, I'm ashamed to admit this on a BB board, but I used to think Surf City and Little Old Lady from Pasadena were Beach Boys songs. 
Go Your Own Way/Go All the Way mashup?

I would bet many people think of those 2 Jan and Dean songs as BB's songs - the BB's did them in concert many times.

I used to get some band names mixed up:

the Pixies and the Posies is the only one i can think of right now

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2018, 03:39:15 PM »

The lady who interviewed each BB - Ida B - gone seriously cuckoo for "Little old lady from Pasadena". She repeated this song title again & again. Brian said "That's Jan & Dean", you'd think she'd shut up but nope. Such weirdo.

KDS
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2018, 05:36:13 AM »

Go Your Own Way/Go All the Way mashup?

I would bet many people think of those 2 Jan and Dean songs as BB's songs - the BB's did them in concert many times.

I used to get some band names mixed up:

the Pixies and the Posies is the only one i can think of right now

The Beach Boys poled fun at the mistaken identity with J&D on their late 90s appearance on Home Improvement.   As I recall, Tim asked the band to do Little Old Lady, and was corrected, then Tim said something to the effect of, "Well, there's Little Deuece Coupe, but that's not you guys."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2018, 11:24:27 PM »

Any 90s-2000s pop boys/ girls bands.

beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

Gen X'er "Living in the Past"

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2018, 08:07:56 PM »

Embarrassingly, in the past I have mixed up Pat Benatar and Chrissie Hynde.

"Star bright, star light,
Make this wish come true tonight..."
thelonelysea
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2018, 10:17:06 PM »

I can't convince myself that Rod Stewart and Barry Manilow are different people.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2018, 10:29:07 PM »

Yes, Barry with Rod got the same type face, either's blessed with epic fail hilariously bad voice.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2018, 01:48:45 PM »

Rod's early material is fantastic.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2019, 04:37:26 AM »

It isn't I but few people in the Internet stated they mix up Joni Mitchell & Rickie Lee Jones. Disagree - they possess different voices. Rickie's little bit in the youthful side, Joni's - golden middle.

SBonilla
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2019, 09:38:11 AM »

Conflation, confusion, mixed up feelings about Adrian Baker and Brian 'Jersey Boy' Johnson.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2019, 03:57:48 AM »

I used to mix up the "stereo" bands--Stereophonics, Stereolab, The Apples in Stereo...

Happily, a good friend pointed me at "Miss Modular" and I could cross Stereolab off that list. Tongue

This is the live version I heard first (the parent album Dots and Loops is well worth investigating):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_PlJmtCwCo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_and_Loops

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2019, 06:08:13 AM »

Conflation, confusion, mixed up feelings about Adrian Baker and Brian 'Jersey Boy' Johnson.
Yes besides Adrian can do mean Frankie Valli. 3D Casual listener will easily mix up the 2.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx