gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:02:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bands/singers you've mixed up  (Read 23414 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »

Carl Carlton and Stevie Wonder

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 11:41:05 PM »

The guy from the Girls & Conor Oberst have similar voices.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 05:13:12 AM »

When I was little, I used to think that Surf City and Little Old Lady from Pasadena were Beach Boys songs. 

There was a time when I thought "Go All the Way" by The Raspberries was a Fleetwood Mac song. 

I find it difficult to tell some singers apart today.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 06:04:43 AM »

I find it difficult to tell some singers apart today.

Sounds familiar!

I used to have trouble with The Wonder Who and The Guess Who (but not The Who).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2015, 06:11:26 AM »

Many of the singers of US hard rock bands can be tough to tell apart as many of them use the name grunge-lite vocal style, usually referred to an "yarrling."

Almost all of the female pop tarts on top 40 radio sound the same to me.  But then, that's music I typically avoid.  

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2015, 08:36:45 AM »

For the longest time when I was younger I thought the Monkees' "Last Train to Clarksville" was done by the Beatles.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2015, 10:56:58 AM »

I once complimented Peter Case on "World Shut Your Mouth," only to have it disgustedly pointed out to me that was Julian Cope.  One of the absolute stupidest things I've ever said/done.
KDS
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2015, 11:22:34 AM »

I used to get some of the British Invasion Groups mixed up.  For example, I used to think Ferry Cross the Mersey was Herman's Hermits, not Gerry and the Pacemakers. 

I took an Elements and History of Rock and Roll course in college, the question that was answered incorrectly on our midterm the most involved a multiple choice question.  The answer was The Byrds.  But, more than half the class answered The Yardbirds.  (Just for the record, I got that one correct).   Smiley
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 12:06:42 PM »

Two songs by America:

As a kid, when I heard Horse With No Name, I thought it was Neil Young. Also, when I heard Sister Golden Hair, I thought it was George Harrison.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
KDS
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 12:15:29 PM »

Two songs by America:

As a kid, when I heard Horse With No Name, I thought it was Neil Young. Also, when I heard Sister Golden Hair, I thought it was George Harrison.

Yes, I thought Horse With No Name was Neil Young until I was about 18. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 02:28:43 PM »

[...] also mixed up Bob Dylan with Donovan a couple times when I first started getting into Dylan.
Quite odd if you consider they sound nothing alike. Donovan has definitely better voice (though overall I'm no fan of his).
There was some similarity between the 2 on their strictly acoustic albums; much less so when they plugged in. Bob never would have cut a track like Sunshine Superman, and Donovan could not have done Like a Rolling Stone.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 09:05:36 PM »

The first time I heard "Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac I thought it was Patti Smith!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2015, 11:26:07 PM »

Puff Daddy and P. Diddy.

Grin

Believe it or not, I only just discovered 10CC's body of music.  I  confused some of their their popular songs with Chicago.   
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2015, 12:57:20 AM »

To me, New Radicals ( http://youtu.be/DL7-CKirWZE ) sounded like World Party.

(Come back, Gregg Alexander!)

Listen, listen, listen...
KDS
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2015, 06:01:55 AM »

I doubt I'm alone on this one, but for the longest time, I thought "Stuck in the Middle" by Stealers Wheel was Bob Dylan. 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2015, 06:15:38 AM »

This song called "My Baby Don't Care" by The Gants could've been easily taken for a Beatles number. The guitar is very George-like, the drums have Ringo beats & the singer almost succeeded in copying John's intonations. He even attempted to fake British accent (The Gants were an American band). I kind of bought into it myself. Either way, it is a very solid tune.
Impressed! Where in the world did you hear of The Gants?  They were from Greenwood, Mississippi - less than 100 miles from Monroe, Louisiana (My hometown).  They would come over and play the VFW and the park stage (always Rockin' on Saturdays) in '66/'67.
They didn't just sound like The Beatles, check "I'm A Snake" and "Little Boy Sad."  They did a good job with Animals' tunes too.  When they did do Beatles numbers they were spot-on!  "Tell Me Why" was a Big crowd pleaser, as was "Don't Bother Me."  Glad that some people remember them.  Cool Marianne.

I'll join the club if I may. I remember hearing a US hit version by The Gants of the Bo Diddley classic "Road Runner". Nice early use of distortion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1OjTtzn7o4 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2015, 06:17:16 AM »

Two songs by America:

Yes, I thought Horse With No Name was Neil Young until I was about 18. 
Never mixed them up but you both have a point - they, yeah, they sound sort of similar. I think it's a compliment to Dewey, tho, to be compared to Neil Young. And that's coming from a non-fan (tttt, I don't like CSN&Y individually & collectively).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2015, 08:39:35 AM »

Three Dog Night/Blood Sweat and Tears/Guess Who

petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2015, 08:40:19 AM »

Two songs by America:

I also thought Sister Golden Hair was done by George.
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2015, 09:13:26 AM »

To me, New Radicals ( http://youtu.be/DL7-CKirWZE ) sounded like World Party.

(Come back, Gregg Alexander!)

Oh man, that New Radicals album was a highlight in my life. I told everyone who'd listen they'd be massive!!  Undecided

Fun Fact: Gregg Alexander wrote Love is a Rollercoaster for Ronan Keating

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2015, 10:46:47 AM »

Oh man, that New Radicals album was a highlight in my life. I told everyone who'd listen they'd be massive!!  Undecided

Yes, that song was anthemic, like "Won't Get Fooled Again."
( http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/newradicals/yougetwhatyougive.html ).

Fun Fact: Gregg Alexander wrote Love is a Rollercoaster for Ronan Keating
His fun side Cheesy !

Listen, listen, listen...
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »

Larry in his cool blog posted file titled "Ellie Greenwich & Mike Rashkow's Pineywood Productions", songs Ellie's written in late 60s. It's good music. Near the end, this pretty song by The Hardy Boys played, you'd think Davy Jones sings the lead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJyRa60oW3M

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2018, 09:29:40 PM »

RRA1 - That does sound like Davy Jones!  I am embarrassed to say that I thought, until recently, that The Kinks'  "Sunny Afternoon" was a Lovin' Spoonful record.  (Probably couldn't get more different personalities than Ray Davies and John Sebastian! )
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2018, 05:27:55 PM »

When I was a kid I thought Day After Day (Badfinger) might be Paul McCartney, though I wasn't really sure.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2018, 05:50:11 AM »

Sheena Easton and Pat Benetar
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx