gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:03:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bands/singers you've mixed up  (Read 23415 times)
modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:09:59 AM »

I've done this with Chicago and Three Dog Night. Specifically, hearing "Make Me Smile" on the radio and getting all giddy about discovering an awesome 3DN song I had never heard before.  LOL
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 02:57:53 PM »

Pearl Jam and STP, Cat Stevens and Seals & Crofts, Firefall and The Eagles, 1910 Fruitgum Co. and The Ohio Express...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
zachrwolfe
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 03:17:08 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:07:22 PM by zatch » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 03:55:08 PM »

Used to think "Don't Pull Your Love" by Hamilton, Joe Frank, and Reynolds was white robe era Elvis. It's not that much of a stretch.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 06:03:48 PM »

Used to think "Don't Pull Your Love" by Hamilton, Joe Frank, and Reynolds was white robe era Elvis. It's not that much of a stretch.
Wow, me too. I always thought something was weird about that song because I knew Elvis never sang it, but man, it had me wonder each time I heard it. I finally had to look it up and find out who it really was. It's a really good song.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »

The Beatles and the Knickerbockers/"Lies".  For real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n03a7cLf0M

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 11:18:14 PM »

The Beatles and the Knickerbockers/"Lies".  For real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n03a7cLf0M
Definitely a Beatles sound there.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 07:57:10 AM »

Mike Love and Terry Bradshaw?

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 12:58:28 AM »

I first thought The Beach Boys' Barbara Ann was Jan and Dean, when I heard it in a diner in 2005 or 2006.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 10:11:02 AM »

1910 Fruitgum Co. and The Ohio Express.
At 1st I mixed them too. Later though, after closely comparing their vocals etc., I made the conclusion that both bands are distinctly different. It's evident if you listen to each version of "Soul Struttin'":

The original

Ohio Express Cover (starts from 6 m. & 59 sec.)

To my ears, the best version is the 2nd, jolly groovy! But overall, I dig works by both "...Fruitgum..." & "Ohio...".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 11:11:09 PM »

This song called "My Baby Don't Care" by The Gants could've been easily taken for a Beatles number. The guitar is very George-like, the drums have Ringo beats & the singer almost succeeded in copying John's intonations. He even attempted to fake British accent (The Gants were an American band). I kind of bought into it myself. Either way, it is a very solid tune.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 03:28:25 AM »

Puff Daddy and P. Diddy.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 03:46:39 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:41:47 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 03:51:06 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:42:02 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 04:16:52 AM »

That guy looks like Brendan Fraser.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 04:50:03 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:42:40 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 02:25:22 PM »

I used to get Roger Daltrey and Robert Plant mixed up  LOL

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 04:10:48 PM »

This song called "My Baby Don't Care" by The Gants could've been easily taken for a Beatles number. The guitar is very George-like, the drums have Ringo beats & the singer almost succeeded in copying John's intonations. He even attempted to fake British accent (The Gants were an American band). I kind of bought into it myself. Either way, it is a very solid tune.
Impressed! Where in the world did you hear of The Gants?  They were from Greenwood, Mississippi - less than 100 miles from Monroe, Louisiana (My hometown).  They would come over and play the VFW and the park stage (always Rockin' on Saturdays) in '66/'67.
They didn't just sound like The Beatles, check "I'm A Snake" and "Little Boy Sad."  They did a good job with Animals' tunes too.  When they did do Beatles numbers they were spot-on!  "Tell Me Why" was a Big crowd pleaser, as was "Don't Bother Me."  Glad that some people remember them.  Cool Marianne.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 04:37:04 PM »

When I was young--I mean like 5, 6, 7--I always thought any melodic pop music was the Beatles. I didn't look into it or remember incorrectly, I just knew the Beatles had a diverse catalog and strong melody, so, presto. Billy Joel's Piano Man? Beatles. Queen's Killer Queen? Beatles. And so on.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Grayhands
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 05:11:54 PM »

Definitely got mixed up with a lot of grunge bands, also mixed up Bob Dylan with Donovan a couple times when I first started getting into Dylan.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 06:42:43 AM »

I get Bruce & Terry confused with Rip Chords quite often. Can't figure out why  Roll Eyes

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 09:12:01 AM »

[/color]Where in the world did you hear of The Gants?  They were from Greenwood, Mississippi - less than 100 miles from Monroe, Louisiana (My hometown).  They would come over and play the VFW and the park stage (always Rockin' on Saturdays) in '66/'67.
They didn't just sound like The Beatles, check "I'm A Snake" and "Little Boy Sad."  They did a good job with Animals' tunes too.  When they did do Beatles numbers they were spot-on!  "Tell Me Why" was a Big crowd pleaser, as was "Don't Bother Me."  Glad that some people remember them.  Cool Marianne.
In Larry Grogan's blog; that's the place where I discovered many rare bands. The entries he writes are always pleasure to read, it's not only about giving out the basic info on the artist, Larry would often quote the book chapters, tell the stories, bring various cool interconnections - you know, "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon" - or just talk of his news. Gotta love when Larry starts with, "hope all is well on your end" in a neighborly way.

Great story, I can see why "Tell Me Why" was huge on the audience. One of the best Beatles songs (and my fave). And wow, they did Animals? Terrific choice!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 09:15:04 AM »

[...] also mixed up Bob Dylan with Donovan a couple times when I first started getting into Dylan.
Quite odd if you consider they sound nothing alike. Donovan has definitely better voice (though overall I'm no fan of his).

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 10:12:10 AM »

I once bought a JJ Cale record thinking I was buying a John Cale album..oh well...was a pretty decent album anyway Cool Guy

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 10:28:14 AM »

I first thought The Beach Boys' Barbara Ann was Jan and Dean, when I heard it in a diner in 2005 or 2006.
which is funny since Dean is actually singing on it...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx