gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680720 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 06:53:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would Dennis have been a good frontman?  (Read 9296 times)
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 06:11:10 PM »

Dennis fronting his own band on a Pacific Ocean Blue tour would've worked. Even if he just stood there and sang into the mic (like when he would do "You are so beautiful") or singing from behind the piano - that woulda been a spectacle. He wouldn't have been a camp or showy front man (like love, jagger or mercury), I think crowds would have accepted him on the basis of just being a strong presence.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »

Dennis fronting his own band on a Pacific Ocean Blue tour would've worked. Even if he just stood there and sang into the mic (like when he would do "You are so beautiful") or singing from behind the piano - that woulda been a spectacle. He wouldn't have been a camp or showy front man (like love, jagger or mercury), I think crowds would have accepted him on the basis of just being a strong presence.

Anytime I hear "Constant Companion"  (Not everyone's favorite, I know, I know) ... I get this insane mental flash of Dennis performing it on American Bandstand! I can see it clear as day: he's in a short sleeved shirt and while pants and is behind the keyboard with this big band with horns and such.... This hallucination is so vivid I almost believe I've seen it and that it's real.....

So, yeah: I agree completely that Dennis could more than carry a show as a guy singing lead from behind a keyboard/piano
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 12:36:09 AM »

I've often fantasized about Dennis stepping into more of a lead role.

It's hard to compete with an existing frontman like Mike Love, but what if Mike had left the band in the late 6os for whatever reason? Would Dennis have gravitated to Mike's spot? I'd like to think so.

Dennis had such charisma and he could really charm an audience. I don't think the ability to prance was necessary in Dennis' case. Mike's dancing was always somewhat corny and awkward anyway, combined with the endless pantomiming of lyrics. Mike just never had that Dennis Wilson coolness or sex appeal. But who does?

it's easy to say Dennis was too unfocused or alcoholic to take a lead role. but it's possible that being relegated to the drums and a background role in the band contributed to these behaviors. If Dennis had ever been given the opportunity to share the reins and help steer the band without Mike in the picture, he very well could have.

we'll never know.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:51:15 AM by bossaroo » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 02:22:46 AM »

I'd seriously hate to admit it, but Mike was the perfect frontman for the Beach Boys.

This forum has helped me greatly appreciate Mike and his contributions. Before I joined up here, I was one of the many Mike bashers. I would have said Dennis should have been the frontman instead of Mike. Now, I've come to realize I was wrong.

Agreed with Jon Stebbins BTW
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 04:14:36 AM »

My one regret is I never saw Dennis live on stage, he was the most Beach Boy of the Beach Boys, and could have handled a good number of ballads and of course DYWD.  I don't care if he didn't move about, one of the best frontmen in recent times was Liam Gallagher for Oasis, he just stood still in front of the mic stand, with his arms behind his back and sang his heart out! It would have worked for Dennis, too, the most charismatic of the boys, and the main attraction for the girl fans.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 06:24:28 PM »

he needed the confidence first, if he had that then of course he would! but maybe it's a good thing that he didn't because he would draw even more attention away from the others (especially in the early 60s)  LOL I personally thought he sang Help Me Rhonda better than Al did (but that's just me  Razz)  I hope that soon his live version of In the Back of My Mind would surface, that would be interesting to hear in his gruff 70s voice

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 06:27:12 PM »

he needed the confidence first, if he had that then of course he would! but maybe it's a good thing that he didn't because he would draw even more attention away from the others (especially in the early 60s)  LOL I personally thought he sang Help Me Rhonda better than Al did (but that's just me  Razz)  I hope that soon his live version of In the Back of My Mind would surface, that would be interesting to hear in his gruff 70s voice

Agreed with HMR. As soon as I heard the MIC live version with Denny on lead vocals, I knew it was the definitive version. I like Al's version, but Denny's blows him away!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 06:53:25 PM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:54:37 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 07:02:49 PM »

Agreed with HMR. As soon as I heard the MIC live version with Denny on lead vocals, I knew it was the definitive version. I like Al's version, but Denny's blows him away!

The Carnegie Hall and the 1974 versions of him singing it are even better imo  Cheesy

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 07:22:02 PM »

Because I don't think he blows the lyrics on those....
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 07:48:18 PM »

Have to admit, I sit on both sides of this fence.  I actually lived through his insecurities about this with him, and watched as he would sometimes need to really get 'out there' before stepping out front on Rhonda or Beautiful.  But then there is also this type of evidence, from way back, that shows what might have been:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0v2bVX8j4&feature=kp
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »

It's a pity that the footage of Dennis singing lead on two of his songs and talking about the movie he recently starred in no longer exists Cry It would have been great to see him taking centre stage.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 10:13:50 PM »

Dennis might have not been a good fit for frontman of The Beach Boys, but I can easily see him as a fantastic "solo" artist. More of a guy behind a piano/keyboard. Like, a much much cooler Michael MacDonald.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 07:42:09 AM »

It's a pity that the footage of Dennis singing lead on two of his songs and talking about the movie he recently starred in no longer exists Cry It would have been great to see him taking centre stage.
I agree. Still shot from that appearance on page 150 of the Beach Boys In Concert book and Dennis looks fantastic.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 09:31:03 AM »

I think it worked perfectly as it did to have Dennis be a featured vocalist, because it was a spotlight in the show that made it different from the norm and gave the audiences something unique. I compare it to those Stones albums where there would be a track that Keith sang lead instead of Mick, and those tracks stood out from the rest for a lot of fans because it wasn't the norm, and you almost looked forward to hearing the "Keith track" whereas they might get lost in the album if Keith had done more leads. I actually borrowed that line of thinking from an old review of a Public Enemy album where they spotlighted the fact that Flavor Flav had taken the lead on 911 Is A Joke, and it made the track stand out on the album. Strange comparison, but it holds up.

And just like Keith eventually did in the 80's, we had an opportunity to hear Dennis as a solo artist singing all the leads, although unlike Keith he never did anything like a full tour. So the fans who would wait for the Dennis track on an album or those spotlight segments of the live shows where he's step out in front got a full dose of what they wanted.

I don't think Dennis would have been a good BB's frontman any more than I think Keith Richards could have fronted the Stones any better than the guy they already had playing that role, and if they did it would have changed the dynamic of what became a highlight of the shows when they did step out for a lead.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2014, 10:07:58 PM »

Sorry, but this is complete rubbish. His version is never gonna be the definitive. Al is an already established singer of Help Me. R(h)onda. Was & will. You should've used another word.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »

I think it worked perfectly as it did to have Dennis be a featured vocalist, because it was a spotlight in the show that made it different from the norm and gave the audiences something unique. I compare it to those Stones albums where there would be a track that Keith sang lead instead of Mick, and those tracks stood out from the rest for a lot of fans because it wasn't the norm, and you almost looked forward to hearing the "Keith track" whereas they might get lost in the album if Keith had done more leads. I actually borrowed that line of thinking from an old review of a Public Enemy album where they spotlighted the fact that Flavor Flav had taken the lead on 911 Is A Joke, and it made the track stand out on the album. Strange comparison, but it holds up.

And just like Keith eventually did in the 80's, we had an opportunity to hear Dennis as a solo artist singing all the leads, although unlike Keith he never did anything like a full tour. So the fans who would wait for the Dennis track on an album or those spotlight segments of the live shows where he's step out in front got a full dose of what they wanted.

I don't think Dennis would have been a good BB's frontman any more than I think Keith Richards could have fronted the Stones any better than the guy they already had playing that role, and if they did it would have changed the dynamic of what became a highlight of the shows when they did step out for a lead.
Substitute "keith Richards" with "Dave Davies" and I would agree Smiley
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2014, 12:39:28 AM »

Sorry, but this is complete rubbish. His version is never gonna be the definitive. Al is an already established singer of Help Me. R(h)onda. Was & will. You should've used another word.

Why be so serious?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2014, 01:56:08 AM »

It's all subjective, but I like the MIC live version over any other. It has the blues arrangement of the In Concert version (which I prefer over the pop version, which is still great in it's own right), and I simply much prefer Dennis's vocals on this over Al's.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2014, 06:48:20 AM »

Being a frontman requires a certain combination of qualities beyond just singing lead. If you watch a video of Freddie Mercury (who many consider to have been the definitive frontman), you see it. It's the ability to hold an audience with the right amounts of charisma, charm, humor, pacing (knowing when to talk to the audience) and energy. With Freddie gone, there are only two members of Queen left (their bassist quit after Freddie died) and both of them know they can't be frontman, so they bring on someone else to take the role--currently Adam Lambert.

I think someone can be an extremely talented musician and singer and even have a lot of charm, but they still might not have "it"--the frontman formula.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2014, 08:58:01 PM »

It's all subjective, but I like the MIC live version over any other. It has the blues arrangement of the In Concert version (which I prefer over the pop version, which is still great in it's own right), and I simply much prefer Dennis's vocals on this over Al's.
Gotcha, but you still shouldn't call it "definitive", that's what I had issue with. It's a fact that Al's version skyrocketed the charts & it's the song that people identify him with, his "curse" if you will. Having differing taste is fine, but give the guy credit where it's due, without blindly going for Dennis.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2014, 12:16:42 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:09:47 PM by zatch » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2014, 12:40:52 AM »

Gotcha, but you still shouldn't call it "definitive", that's what I had issue with. It's a fact that Al's version skyrocketed the charts & it's the song that people identify him with, his "curse" if you will. Having differing taste is fine, but give the guy credit where it's due, without blindly going for Dennis.

That's because it was given to Al first. And in the early 70's they let both Carl and Dennis sing lead. I just think Dennis did the best out of them (Though I haven't heard the Carl version). It's no disrespect to Al, though he has plenty of other signature songs
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2014, 01:06:40 AM »

That's because it was given to Al first. And in the early 70's they let both Carl and Dennis sing lead. I just think Dennis did the best out of them (Though I haven't heard the Carl version). It's no disrespect to Al, though he has plenty of other signature songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjfuO--8hto
Carl and Elton John

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2014, 01:27:15 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjfuO--8hto
Carl and Elton John

Thanks, will check it out soon!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx