gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:18:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Astrology of the Beach Boys  (Read 22794 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 10:15:24 AM »

Well, this is the first I've received a hickey since high school. No matter.

If you're going to post anonymously and then take the piss out of my name, f*** you.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 10:16:42 AM »

TMinthePM, you should meet Bill Tobelman.

Something tells me you guys would have a lot to talk about

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »

This thread's not going well for you. Maybe it's time you medicated.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 10:18:04 AM »

I am siding with Andrew on this matter, I don't think astrology and the BBs is really important. It was human behavior that guided the BBs, not the stars.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2013, 10:18:12 AM »

Difference is, Bill's a gracious guy.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »

Difference is, Bill's a gracious guy.

Absolutely. I think Bill's Smile interpretation is wrong, but he doesn't come onto forums and start insulting people in his first few posts.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »

I am siding with Andrew on this matter, I don't think astrology and the BBs is really important. It was human behavior that guided the BBs, not the stars.
I don't think it has much importance either, but I did answer his question by relaying the Heroes And Villains story. It is the only story that I know of where Astrology played a hand in their career decisions.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »

I don't think it has much importance either, but I did answer his question by relaying the Heroes And Villains story. It is the only story that I know of where Astrology played a hand in their career decisions.
That is an important story and I was glad you brought it up. 1967 was a wild ride for the BBs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2013, 10:25:56 AM »

Well of course there are currents of thought that distinguish an era.

My favorite book dealing with the Beatles is entitled Revolution in the Head. Compulsively re-readable. I'm far from my library so I can't access the author (could google it but it's more fun to reach back and pull it off the shelf). Anyway, he works thru the catalogue song by song making connections to ideas musical and otherwise that influenced their composition.

I know that I've read of Brian Wilson just soaking up the influences in the mid-60s, and the influence of TM on the musical output of the BBs is well documented.

But I'm still wondering how the celestial aspects contributed to the wave-like ups and downs in the career of the Beach Boys.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2013, 10:30:18 AM »

It was the 60's. Brian was taking drugs and flirting with  a lot of stuff like this. Zen, that one were you change your name. All of the times. All nonsense. He apparently got an astrologer to give him the right day to release it, and then went down to the radio station. However, here is a thread which casts doubt on this happening. Ah, its at the top again.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13985.0.html

So even that was nonsense
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »

I just posted a simple question to begin with. Didn't expect to have the inquisition come down on me - curses and all.

But, no matter.

And I'm still wondering...
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2013, 10:35:52 AM »

Well, maybe if you'd been a bit more civil in your initial response to me, this wouldn't be happening. Maybe it's Karma......
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2013, 10:36:38 AM »

I just posted a simple question to begin with. Didn't expect to have the inquisition come down on me - curses and all.

Well maybe if you showed basic common courtesy to other people, it wouldn't have.
And your question *has* been answered. The answer is that there was *no* 'celestial influence' on the Beach Boys' career, because the whole idea is fucking stupid.

TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »

No no!

Zen is a psychological discipline designed to bring consciousness to a point of sudden enlightenment, wherin one might see all the meaning of existence in the simplicity of a single moment.

This is the underlying meaning of Dennis' compositions Little Bird and Be Still, or Al's At My Window.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »

I know a Zen proverb

"Man who acts like d*ckhead gets treated like one"
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2013, 10:40:58 AM »

Such hostility!

instant Karma!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »

No no!

Zen is a psychological discipline designed to bring consciousness to a point of sudden enlightenment, wherin one might see all the meaning of existence in the simplicity of a single moment.

This is the underlying meaning of Dennis' compositions Little Bird and Be Still, or Al's At My Window.

Learn to read. Stephen said "Zen, that one where you change your name" clearly meaning it as a list, where "that one where you change your name" means subud. I'm sure he's perfectly aware what zen is.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2013, 10:43:30 AM »

Such hostility!

instant Karma!

Exactly, and where did that hostility begin. You reap what you sow, is that cosmic enough for you?

Actually that's a little thing called natural selection. Being polite works, and being impolite doesn't. Therefore nature, (in this case the hominids you've pissed off), get rid of what doesn't work.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 10:48:45 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2013, 10:45:17 AM »

Such hostility!

Yes, because coming on here, acting dismissively towards another poster, calling everyone else in the thread "totally spiritually barren", repeatedly claiming that nobody has answered your question when they have, making fun of my name... those are the proper behaviour of an enlightened, placid soul who offers nothing but friendship to all, right?

TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2013, 10:51:28 AM »

I've an article copied from some guy's site (sorry again but can't offer a reference as I am away from my books) detailing Brian's use of LSD, with particular attention to a trip he took at a place called Arrowhead Lake, and how the mind-expanding experience lead to the flurry of creativity that produced Pet Sounds and then Smile. Was well written. And I can see how such an event could produce such profound insights having travelled the astral plane myself.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2013, 10:54:14 AM »

But not to worry. I'll research the original question and get back to you!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2013, 10:59:34 AM »

TMinthePM is such a hilarious username. I'm still laughing.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »

Funny thing is. Folk logging on later will see this thread, with 8 pages by this point, and wonder how we've got such mileage on an obscure topic like this. Boy are they in for a treat.

TMinthePM. I'll try again before this gets out of hand. I feel wronged. You feel wronged. Shall we acknowledge this and move on? It's not about Karma and spirituality, it's about sparring monkeys and their inane politics. I'm happy to let it drop if you acknowledge your initial posts got people's back up. On my part I'm sorry if my initial post seemed dismissive. I was genuinely trying to warn you of the response you were going to get.

By the way, I have had profound and deeply esoteric experiences on LSD, but would never put this down to anything other than a chemical change in my brain. That is a fact, the astral plain is not.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 11:01:57 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »

I'm not trying to be difficult and do not mean to offend.

I have followed the old white board and now this since 1996 and have always taken a lot of pleasure from your conversations. 

I am fully cognizant of the disreputable nature of my original post, or at least the disrepute in which the premise is held by conventional wisdom.

Still, there are people out there who could provide a detailed response that I believe would be rather engaging if one were to consider it with a poetic sensibility.

There are, as some poet or another once observed, more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in your philosophy.

So, again...I wonder...

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »

I am fully cognizant of the disreputable nature of my original post, or at least the disrepute in which the premise is held by conventional wisdom.

OK,  I tried.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx