gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:22:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Analysis of the Live 50th Anniversary Tour CD  (Read 41334 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 17, 2013, 07:38:35 PM »

Meh, it was enough to make me chuckle (if a little bit of a groaner), and I can't imagine Scott, or anyone, really, getting upset enough to split on us over it, but what do I know?

Anyway, the real point of my post is to try and get us back on topic with a query for AlFall (or anybody else who may wish to chime in).

On my copy of the disc, during the first verse of "Good Vibrations," Brian's lead vocal is audibly cut, to where the word "wears" (from "I love the colorful clothes she wears") is missing the "s."  So, in effect, what we hear is "she wear/..."

I don't have a copy of Chiba handy at the moment, but I can't imagine this shows up during the actual live show, as it's not a case of Brian simply not singing the "s" - Brian's line is clearly, decisively cut.  My question is "why?"  On the live recording, does Brian carry the end of the line out-of-pitch, necessitating a cut?  Maybe we're seeing another case of sloppy editing of the masters, adding to the tally of editing issues which have popped-up here and there recently on Beach Boys releases?  I suppose that it is possible, however unlikely, that it's an issue with only my copy.  Listen closely and see if you notice.

Any thoughts?
Okay, so I guess it strikes no one else as weird.

Anyway, can anybody at least confirm that the cut is on their copy, too, please?  Thanks.

To be honest, the whole album is a bit weird but yes, the 's' is cut from my copy also. May have to do with the flown in crowd noise, but just sloppy IMO.

We may both have to eat some humble pie. I just played the Chiba GV track a few times and it does indeed sound like no 's' and a reasonable crowd noise, just like the C50 album. Undecided

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 17, 2013, 08:42:25 PM »

M&B are coming to my local fairground this year, might protest them.... Grin
I'm working on the sandwich boards as we speak! LOL I also have 3 busloads coming in from Kohkohmoe to aid in the rally. Grin
How is your progress in organizing the "occupy Mike and Bruce rally"? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 17, 2013, 11:33:21 PM »

We may both have to eat some humble pie. I just played the Chiba GV track a few times and it does indeed sound like no 's' and a reasonable crowd noise, just like the C50 album. Undecided

Could be (it wouldn't be the first time).  Smiley

As I said, I don't have the Chiba recording handy, but I never thought the crowd noise was necessarily the issue there.  I still think the "s" is pretty obviously cut, after the fact, though (on close inspection, there's just nothing natural sounding about it, at all).

Didn't Chiba have some post-production work done on it, too?  The cut could have been made at that time, I suppose.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:02:55 AM by Generation42 » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 18, 2013, 01:33:48 AM »

Typo on the autocue maybe? Grin
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 18, 2013, 06:08:42 AM »

Typo on the autocue maybe? Grin
Well, that's one mystery solved!   Happy Dance
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 18, 2013, 09:52:19 AM »

There's a huge difference, though. Taking the vocals from the album and placing them onto an alleged "live" album? Again, it insults the listener's intelligence big time and is giving them something they already have when it's implied that they're getting something totally different. Lame, cheap, and fairly offensive.

So, about the 1964 "In Concert" album?  Backing tracks for "Fun Fun Fun" and "I Get Around"?  Heck, this is almost the fiftieth anniversary of the Beach Boys doing that!

Cheers,
Jon Blum

What about it?
What do you mean, what a about it? I Get Around and Fun Fun Fun have the studio versions flown in on Concert. So, I guess The Beach Boys have been insulting our intelligence since 1964.

Again, yeah? It is an insult to our intelligence. I hate to defend it with "Those were different times, it was more common to do that back then" and "Their fanbase was very different in 1964", but it's so true. Also, again, just because Brian Wilson did it doesn't mean it's right. It's two instances early on in their career when Capitol had a knife in their back to ensure the Beach Boys were putting out records every five minutes, it didn't happen again until 2013, a time when there's really no excuse to do it anymore. I'm not sure why anyone is defending it.

Again, it's redundant - it's giving us something we already have with the promise of it being something we don't have. I really, really doubt they couldn't have put together a cohesive, good quality lead for "Do It Again", "Radio" and "Isn't It Time" from the multiple shows they recorded.

It's so, so cheap, it's indeed an insult to our intelligence and it's just another contributing factor to the really sloppy, low-quality job on something where a little more care should've been employed for the sake of the band's dignity.
No, they couldn't or they would've done it. Geez, they apparently couldn't do it in their prime, so very doubtful they would have something releasable from this tour. Now I have only listened to a few shows, but Mike had a hard time with Do It Again on every one of them. I have no problem with them fixing a few vocals in the studio, but that autotune on some of the tracks is simply terrible. Again, I'd rather have a redo in the studio than try to autotune an off lead live vocal.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: June 18, 2013, 01:00:17 PM »

This thread isn't actually making me regret I didn't buy this...

Same here, Micha. I have yet to decide whether I will purchase it, but I am not really thinking of running to my retailer.

I am sad to say this.

It's really worth getting if only for the tracklist from 'California Saga' to 'Help Me Rhonda' - the vocals and instrumentals in that section are incredible.

It was disappointing for a Live release, but far better than what I expected.

If you like the Beach Boys, then it is worth getting.  Is the production good?  No.  But it is still quite an enjoyable live album; especially in the car.  I get the disappointment with some of the studio "touch-ups", but I feel many on this forum are obsessing a little too much over it. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 18, 2013, 02:36:05 PM »

This thread isn't actually making me regret I didn't buy this...
Same here, Micha. I have yet to decide whether I will purchase it, but I am not really thinking of running to my retailer.
I am sad to say this.
It's really worth getting if only for the tracklist from 'California Saga' to 'Help Me Rhonda' - the vocals and instrumentals in that section are incredible.

It was disappointing for a Live release, but far better than what I expected.

If you like the Beach Boys, then it is worth getting.  Is the production good?  No.  But it is still quite an enjoyable live album; especially in the car.  I get the disappointment with some of the studio "touch-ups", but I feel many on this forum are obsessing a little too much over it. 
The London show looks awesome on YouTube. And, I'm watching the DVD that was released a while back.  Had they used (and I don't know if they did) the soundtrack (not unlike a film sound track,) maybe the outcome might have been different.

In other words, if they do a FULL show, say from London, they might consider doing an accompanying CD (exactly the same audio) with the DVD.  I can hear the "principals" in the DVD, where I can only hear Brian, Mike and Al, on his leads on the CD. The flow is better as between and among the songs, than the CD. 

And, I guess I'm just a spoiled brat BB fan!  Wink Oh, well.  LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 18, 2013, 02:39:15 PM »

I listened to it on my ipod for the first time, rather than my stereo which had several plays. The first few tunes are for me, the most tinkered with and that may be down to Mike does need to warm up. For me it was less noticeable as the CD progressed.

If Brian had total studio control of one song and wanted to stiff Mike, he did it with 'Don't Back Down' IMO.  LOL
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: June 18, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »

I listened to it on my ipod for the first time, rather than my stereo which had several plays. The first few tunes are for me, the most tinkered with and that may be down to Mike does need to warm up. For me it was less noticeable as the CD progressed.

If Brian had total studio control of one song and wanted to stiff Mike, he did it with 'Don't Back Down' IMO.  LOL

Honestly I thought Mike for the most part sounded fine throughout the CD.  Yeah, he sounds older of course but overall there was nothing in his vocals that detracted from my enjoyment.  Jeff didn't always sound great on the high parts; I feel he'd be better singing Carl's parts than Brian's.  They should have found someone else to sing the falsetto parts and allow Jeff to cover Carl's vocals.  He sounded pretty close to Carl when singing "Kokomo".   

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 23, 2013, 05:33:27 AM »

Well, I just checked out the Rolling Stone live acoustic performances again for the first time in a while.  They are seriously special, and I had the following observations:
1.  The vocals are really good.
2.  Apart from Jeff providing the high parts, he and Scott T contributing very little vocally.

I'm not sure how much was done to these performances in post, but to me they prove that the boys are very capable of sounding 'releasable' in a 'natural' way.  I have enjoyed parts of the live CD, but Runners and others have a point about the quality of the release.

Mike mentioned the initial plan to re-record some of the classic songs for C50.  Although it was great that we got new songs in the end, if they had re-recorded the classics, how great would it have been if they were in the style of the RS performances?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 10, 2013, 05:19:28 PM »

I don't know if anyone's particularly interested in hearing about this kind of stuff anymore, but a couple of small things caught my attention while listening to some live 50th material today:

1) As I briefly made reference to earlier in the thread, the base track and lead vocal of "Then I Kissed Her" are from Chiba. However, it sounds like, perhaps not surprisingly, the supporting cast may have done some additional work on the backing vocals for that track on the CD release, or conversely, some sneaky editing took place. Namely, there's a backing vocal bit that occurs on the CD, right before the bridge, that didn't exist for *any* of the other live versions of the song that the band did during the tour that I've currently heard -- including the original Chiba 'cast. That is, all live versions have *no* backing vocals during that brief section. And while it's the same common vocal riff that appears in others places during the song [you'll know exactly which one I'm talking about when you hear any of the performances], it sort of has a studio quality to it. Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if the supporting cast went back and did indeed do that part in the studio, vs. simply flying it in from elsewhere. But...who knows? Could've just been a fly-in from somewhere else, as again, that bit's a common, recycled vocal riff in the song (i.e. that "sneaky editing" thing).

2) "Marcella" on the 50th DVD and live CD are derived from the same performance......same lead vocal, same guitar solo, etc.. Though, they're mixed quite differently. Like most of the tracks on the CD, the vocals are mixed way out front for that release. And while the DVD is supposed to be from Phoenix, AZ, I don't have an audience tape of that particular performance to see what kind of "work" may have been done after-the-fact (e.g. Brian's lead vocal). I'd suspect some...if not quite a bit.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #187 on: July 16, 2013, 05:49:11 AM »

Ha ha. I just heard Pete Waterman on the radio defending the Beach Boys use of autotune on the live album.

So don't worry guys, you now have the producer of everything that was crappiest about 80's pop on your side!  LOL
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2013, 10:34:59 AM »

Seems he was replying to this article in Uncut magazine

http://www.whitsundaytimes.com.au/news/beach-boys-turn-auto-tune-good-vibrations/1946486/

"Fans on a Beach Boys forum said the results were "embarrassing" and accused the band members of sounding more like robots"

Grin
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 16, 2013, 11:15:10 AM »

Seems he was replying to this article in Uncut magazine

http://www.whitsundaytimes.com.au/news/beach-boys-turn-auto-tune-good-vibrations/1946486/

"Fans on a Beach Boys forum said the results were "embarrassing" and accused the band members of sounding more like robots"

Grin
Wow, our reputation precedes us. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2013, 04:23:40 PM »

Maybe its just a result of splicing the next track but after Dave sings 'Getcha Back' Brian says "the Great David Marks" then it sounds like Mike goes "Yeah-bullshit". Shocked
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: July 16, 2013, 10:01:05 PM »

Maybe its just a result of splicing the next track but after Dave sings 'Getcha Back' Brian says "the Great David Marks" then it sounds like Mike goes "Yeah-bullshit". Shocked
I've always heard that part as "that's for sure"
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 17, 2013, 03:15:43 AM »

This is mentioned in todays Guardian, just a sentence about how The Beach Boys have been caught using autotune 'like Kanye West' or something. I'll get a photo in a sec.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jurrasic Mark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 17, 2013, 03:28:01 AM »

I posted in the vocal thread about "Why Do Fools Fall In Love?" on the Live CD.

Am i 99% sure there is a female vocal in the mix, especially on the first "Why Do Fools Fall In Looooooooove" at the very beggining the female voice carried on for a split second longer than any other vocal. I know Jeff and Scott have a high range but it certainly sounds more like a females vocals.

I only saw the wembley concert so i'm not sure if a female was involved in any of the shows? Or am i just hearing things?

Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 17, 2013, 04:09:54 AM »

Hopefully the bad press causes JT to reconsider his gameplan before unleashing B-Pain back into the wild later this year.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 17, 2013, 04:19:52 AM »

Am i 99% sure there is a female vocal in the mix, especially on the first "Why Do Fools Fall In Looooooooove" at the very beggining the female voice carried on for a split second longer than any other vocal. I know Jeff and Scott have a high range but it certainly sounds more like a females vocals.

I only saw the wembley concert so i'm not sure if a female was involved in any of the shows? Or am i just hearing things?

I don't hear a female voice there. There are actually two vocals that carry on the "love" slightly longer than the rest, both processed so much that you can barely tell who they are but I *think* they're Jeff and Scott.

No women sang on any of the tour dates, though that doesn't *necessarily* mean anything, as I've seen a lot of people claim that that section of the song was pre-recorded and mimed to. (That said, I don't believe that's the case -- the audience recordings all sound subtly different to me...)

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Jurrasic Mark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 17, 2013, 04:31:45 AM »

I don't hear a female voice there. There are actually two vocals that carry on the "love" slightly longer than the rest, both processed so much that you can barely tell who they are but I *think* they're Jeff and Scott.

No women sang on any of the tour dates, though that doesn't *necessarily* mean anything, as I've seen a lot of people claim that that section of the song was pre-recorded and mimed to. (That said, I don't believe that's the case -- the audience recordings all sound subtly different to me...)

It's really bothering me every time I hear it. It might just be me imagining it then... I'm sure i can hear it in the mix too. Maybe I have harmony blindness.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2013, 05:51:47 AM »

Not to nitpick, but Taylor Mills came out to do the intro (whole song?) of Marcella at the Darien Lake show. Again, not really relevant to the discussion at hand, but still an interesting tidbit
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2013, 05:53:34 AM »

Not to nitpick, but Taylor Mills came out to do the intro (whole song?) of Marcella at the Darien Lake show. Again, not really relevant to the discussion at hand, but still an interesting tidbit

Quite right. And I suppose they may have done the "get some pretty girls from the audience on stage to 'sing' Barbara Ann" thing, too.

Definitely no women on any performance of Why Do Fools on the tour though.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2013, 11:11:53 AM »

I can't listen to the first songs on the thing due to the auto-tune. Its just bearable from 'Surfer Girl' so thats my start point. I don't suppose there an app or program toremove it? Grin

Don't know about anyone else but I'd pay for another CD if it was re-released with the a/t toned down. Serious!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx