gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:06:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys-Hyde Park July 7th 2013  (Read 82664 times)
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2013, 08:07:17 PM »

I'm getting a vision of Capitol's "Made in California" marketing effort:

"Finally completed after 34 years, the legendary "Goin' to the Beach" is Mike Love's "SMiLE"...the true unreleased masterpiece in the Beach Boys' vaults."  

"In 1979 my cousin Brian and I were writing together in the same room, something I'm not allowed to do with him now, and we came up with this mind-blowing song," explained Mike Love, mastermind of the track.    "I really kind of thought we had done something special when we finished that one.  It was just like "Good Vibrations," where Brian had this way-out-there music but I made it relatable with my hook and boy-girl lyrics, leading to us topping The Beatles in a British music poll nearly 5 decades ago.  Anyway, we started recording "Goin' to the Beach" and nearly had it finished, but I got all kinds of resistance.  Dennis said it was a bunch of crap.  Carl and Al kind of shrugged and put their vocals on it, but I knew they weren't excited about it.  Brian started the track but then said he preferred to get back on drugs.  Van Dyke Parks said, "'Goin' to the beach?'  What does that mean?"  And I realized the world wasn't ready for what I was trying to accomplish lyricwise."

"But I never gave up hope.  I know there were rumors I buried the tapes in the dunes at Malibu, but that wasn't true.  I was just waiting for the right time to put on the finishing touches and present it as a thank you gift to our fans as part of a $145 box set.  And just like Brian premiered his ode to acid alliteration live in London, I premiered my long-lost masterpiece live in London too...and to a lot more people, I might add.  This fall the OFFICIAL Beach Boys will be doing a "Goin' to the Beach" tour with a symphony orchestra.  Well, it's not exactly a symphony orchestra, but we are adding one extra keyboardist who will be sharing a room with Scott."

Then there will be speculation on this board about how "Goin' to the Beach" would have sounded if it had been completed in 1979, and whether the lyrics are original or newly written.  And hot-tempered debates about who's really to blame for it not coming out on KTSA, and for Brian, Al and David not being on the "Goin' to the Beach" tour....

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:42:45 PM by Les P » Logged
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2013, 08:11:05 PM »

^ priceless!  Grin

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 08, 2013, 08:27:17 PM »

"Finally completed after 34 years, the legendary "Goin' to the Beach" is Mike Love's "SMiLE"...the true unreleased masterpiece in the Beach Boys vaults." 

"In 1979 my cousin Brian and I were working together in the same room, something I'm not allowed to do with him now, and we came up with this mind-blowing song," explained Mike Love, mastermind of the track.    "I really kind of thought we had done something special when we finished that one.  It was just like "Good Vibrations," where Brian had this way-out-there music but I made it relatable with my hook and boy-girl lyrics, leading to us topping The Beatles in a British music poll nearly 5 decades ago.  Anyway, we started recording "Goin' to the Beach" and nearly had it finished, but I got all kinds of resistance.  Dennis said it was a bunch of crap.  Carl and Al kind of shrugged and put their vocals on it, but I knew they weren't excited about it.  Brian started the track but then said he preferred to get back on drugs.  And I realized the world wasn't ready for what I was trying to accomplish lyricwise."

"But I never gave up hope.  I know there were rumors I buried the tapes in the dunes at Malibu, but that wasn't true.  I was just waiting for the right time to put on the finishing touches and present it as a thank you gift to our fans as part of a $145 box set.  And just like Brian premiered his ode to acid alliteration live in London, I premiered my long-lost masterpiece live in London too...and to a lot more people, I might add.  This fall the OFFICIAL Beach Boys will be doing a "Goin' to the Beach" tour with a symphony orchestra.  Well, it's not exactly a symphony orchestra, but we are adding one extra keyboardist who will be sharing a room with Scott."

Then there will be speculation on this board about how "Goin' to the Beach" would have sounded if it had been completed in 1979, and whether the lyrics are original or newly written.  And hot-tempered debates about who's really to blame for it not coming out on KTSA, and for Brian, Al and David not being on the "Goin' to the Beach" tour....

Les, it seems Mike and Scott Totten were in the studio doing overdubs on this gem. Can you shed some light on this?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2013, 08:40:09 PM »

"Finally completed after 34 years, the legendary "Goin' to the Beach" is Mike Love's "SMiLE"...the true unreleased masterpiece in the Beach Boys vaults."  

"In 1979 my cousin Brian and I were working together in the same room, something I'm not allowed to do with him now, and we came up with this mind-blowing song," explained Mike Love, mastermind of the track.    "I really kind of thought we had done something special when we finished that one.  It was just like "Good Vibrations," where Brian had this way-out-there music but I made it relatable with my hook and boy-girl lyrics, leading to us topping The Beatles in a British music poll nearly 5 decades ago.  Anyway, we started recording "Goin' to the Beach" and nearly had it finished, but I got all kinds of resistance.  Dennis said it was a bunch of crap.  Carl and Al kind of shrugged and put their vocals on it, but I knew they weren't excited about it.  Brian started the track but then said he preferred to get back on drugs.  And I realized the world wasn't ready for what I was trying to accomplish lyricwise."

"But I never gave up hope.  I know there were rumors I buried the tapes in the dunes at Malibu, but that wasn't true.  I was just waiting for the right time to put on the finishing touches and present it as a thank you gift to our fans as part of a $145 box set.  And just like Brian premiered his ode to acid alliteration live in London, I premiered my long-lost masterpiece live in London too...and to a lot more people, I might add.  This fall the OFFICIAL Beach Boys will be doing a "Goin' to the Beach" tour with a symphony orchestra.  Well, it's not exactly a symphony orchestra, but we are adding one extra keyboardist who will be sharing a room with Scott."

Then there will be speculation on this board about how "Goin' to the Beach" would have sounded if it had been completed in 1979, and whether the lyrics are original or newly written.  And hot-tempered debates about who's really to blame for it not coming out on KTSA, and for Brian, Al and David not being on the "Goin' to the Beach" tour....

Les, it seems Mike and Scott Totten were in the studio doing overdubs on this gem. Can you shed some light on this?

There are unconfirmed rumors that Mike wanted a "Good Vibrations" theremin line, but after finding out how much theremin rental can cost, decided on a guitar overdub instead.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:42:33 PM by Les P » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2013, 08:43:39 PM »

Which of course, he got his son Christian to play as a favour, just so he didn't have to pay extra. Sort of a 'mates rates' deal.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2013, 08:52:34 PM »

Here's an alternate video of Goin' To The Beach, much better sound than the other one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM6_LVL_ZKk

I don't know, I kind of like it.  It's catchy and it's fun.  Sure it's corny, but not everything has to be high art.
But this junk isn't even high corn-not even good porta potty material.

The follow-up to "Goin' To The Beach", after it hits #1 on the pop chart just like Kokomo, will be "Goin to the Toilet".

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2013, 09:00:08 PM »

I'm gonna make some t-shirts outta this. Sell it to a few folks on the board, who will no doubt wear it to the beach   Cool

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2013, 09:47:25 PM »

Mike & Bruce had a longer set than anyone else on the bill, and before they came on, everyone around me was complaining about that -- saying "It's an HOUR?! Why aren't JLS on yet? Who wants to see the Beach Boys?"

Yet when they got told "just one more song" by the backstage staff, they actually did two more -- Barbara Ann and Fun Fun Fun -- and they got called back for an encore by the entire crowd ROARING "MORE! MORE!".

And when they came back for that encore, they did a song that was in the set just for us hardcore fans.

They won that crowd round, in a way I've never seen anyone do before. It was an ASTONISHING show, and anyone who wasn't there nit-picking it should just grow up.

Well said, Andrew.

I'd also like to add:  at a *festival gig*, the Beach Boys also played their newest single, and an unreleased track to promote their upcoming boxset.  Before the reunion, when was the last time you could type a sentence like that?  Twenty years ago.

And people here are nitpicking that the unreleased song wasn't one they wanted to hear?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:54:14 PM by Jonathan Blum » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2013, 09:49:29 PM »

Exactly.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 08, 2013, 11:36:40 PM »

"Finally completed after 34 years, the legendary "Goin' to the Beach" is Mike Love's "SMiLE"...the true unreleased masterpiece in the Beach Boys' vaults."  

"In 1979 my cousin Brian and I were writing together in the same room, something I'm not allowed to do with him now, and we came up with this mind-blowing song," explained Mike Love, mastermind of the track.    "I really kind of thought we had done something special when we finished that one.  It was just like "Good Vibrations," where Brian had this way-out-there music but I made it relatable with my hook and boy-girl lyrics, leading to us topping The Beatles in a British music poll nearly 5 decades ago.  Anyway, we started recording "Goin' to the Beach" and nearly had it finished, but I got all kinds of resistance.  Dennis said it was a bunch of crap.  Carl and Al kind of shrugged and put their vocals on it, but I knew they weren't excited about it.  Brian started the track but then said he preferred to get back on drugs.  Van Dyke Parks said, "'Goin' to the beach?'  What does that mean?"  And I realized the world wasn't ready for what I was trying to accomplish lyricwise."

LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2013, 12:02:19 AM »

Ouch! Shocked

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jul/08/beach-boys-jls-review

In part...

Headliners JLS lack one iota of the Beach Boys' mercurial magic, and are calling time on their generic but successful pop/R&B career. When they inevitably reform for a comeback tour in later years, they must hope their ranks don't include a member apparently driven to exploit their history and legacy at all costs. They must pray they don't have a Mike Love.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 09, 2013, 12:48:09 AM »

Ouch! Shocked

In part...

Headliners JLS lack one iota of the Beach Boys' mercurial magic, and are calling time on their generic but successful pop/R&B career. When they inevitably reform for a comeback tour in later years, they must hope their ranks don't include a member apparently driven to exploit their history and legacy at all costs. They must pray they don't have a Mike Love.
Not a good review (for the author, not for Mike's Beach Boys, that is) - actually, this isn't a concert review at all. Mr Gittins doesn't go into any specifics performance/music-wise (apart from confirming the tunes are still awesome and the band is very capable - d'uh) but keeps referring to some abstract absence of something.. be it sentimentality (Huh), Brian Wilson or 2012. I guess he very much enjoyed the music (who wouldn't?) but couldn't get over himself.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2013, 01:11:12 AM »

This review proves it.

Everywhere on the internet criticism of Mike Love is rampant, everywhere except here, on an anally retentive fanboy site.

Who is right? Well, us obviously.

We alone know that the whole world is critical of Mike because;

• They read David Leaf's book
  • It's fashionable
  • They're all Basement Brianistas.

Out of the whole world, we alone know the truth.

Mike Love is a beautiful spirit.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2013, 01:20:55 AM »

This review proves it.

Everywhere on the internet criticism of Mike Love is rampant, everywhere except here, on an anally retentive fanboy site.

• It's fashionable

Nice bullets  Smokin

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2013, 02:01:29 AM »

I would have thought that any JLS fan might view that review with bemusement. The journalist could have at least mentioned their performance a little.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2013, 02:06:10 AM »

I would have thought that any JLS fan might view that review with bemusement. The journalist could have at least mentioned their performance a little.

I would think a JLS fan would look at a pebble with bemusement.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 03:25:46 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2013, 03:08:19 AM »

Just realised – Goin' To The Beach has some resemblance to Heartache Tonight by the Eagles.  Anyone else spot it?

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 09, 2013, 03:10:46 AM »

Just realised – Goin' To The Beach has some resemblance to Heartache Tonight by the Eagles.  Anyone else spot it?
And I hear some "Runaround Sue" by Dion & the Belmonts

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 09, 2013, 03:16:12 AM »

Ouch! Shocked

In part...

Yep, so if you look at the bit that actually reviews the band's performance, it says

"They can certainly play the songs. Love has been touring roughly the same band for 15 years, and musically the band's peerless back catalogue is safe in their proficient hands. The perfect harmonies and stardust melodies of Little Deuce Coupe and I Get Around still shimmer like musical sunbeams of pop.

Good Vibrations and California Girls similarly remain infusions of pure joy, seemingly beamed in not from a beach or recording studio but from some distant, superior planet."

The rest of it just says that Brian wasn't there, which we already know.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 09, 2013, 04:09:01 AM »

Ouch! Shocked

In part...

Yep, so if you look at the bit that actually reviews the band's performance, it says

"They can certainly play the songs. Love has been touring roughly the same band for 15 years, and musically the band's peerless back catalogue is safe in their proficient hands. The perfect harmonies and stardust melodies of Little Deuce Coupe and I Get Around still shimmer like musical sunbeams of pop.

Good Vibrations and California Girls similarly remain infusions of pure joy, seemingly beamed in not from a beach or recording studio but from some distant, superior planet."

The rest of it just says that Brian wasn't there, which we already know.

It's a weird review for sure. Castigates the show for something that's little to do with the show he saw, for the sake of sounding knowledgeable and clever.  Ho hum…

“We live in divisive times.”
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 09, 2013, 06:14:03 AM »

I'm gonna make some t-shirts outta this. Sell it to a few folks on the board, who will no doubt wear it to the beach   Cool

I need this shirt.... LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2013, 07:04:14 AM »

This review proves it.

• It's fashionable

Yea, but people keep going to the concerts and ENJOYING them.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 09, 2013, 07:10:52 AM »

And actually, even in the little bit of that review I quoted that talks about the show, there's an obvious falsehood:
"Love has been touring roughly the same band for 15 years"
Other than Mike & Bruce, the only band member who was in the band fifteen years ago was Tim Bonhomme. Scott T joined in 2001, as did Cowsill, but Cowsill was on keyboards then. Kirsch joined in 2004, and was on rhythm guitar then, and Christian joined in 2007 or 8, when Cowsill switched to drums and Kirsch to bass.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
oldsurferdude
« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2013, 07:55:29 AM »

I need this shirt.... LOL LOL LOL
Put my name on the list, too-I'll need 365 of them-gonna wear a fresh one every day. angel
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2013, 08:08:10 AM »

"GOiN TO THE BEACH"
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:10:52 AM by Quzi » Logged

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx