gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:23:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys-Hyde Park July 7th 2013  (Read 82648 times)
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2013, 03:44:43 AM »

Interesting lineup!
http://www.nme.com/news/the-beach-boys/70462

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 04:22:47 AM »

Very much so. Under the pretext of going to see the Mike & Bruce hits show, I would, however, direct my full attention to:

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 04:28:11 AM »

As would Mr M E Love, I'm sure!

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he asks them to be cheerleaders during an 3min opus intro of, "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen"

OK-The Beach Boys aren't even headlining and are below JLS. Also, looking at the Barclaycard website, tickets are £35 for standing.

Bruce mentioned on the BBB site that they had been offered a gig in July as well as the one at Henley so I am assuming this is it.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:04:43 AM »

OK-The Beach Boys aren't even headlining and are below JLS. Also, looking at the Barclaycard website, tickets are £35 for standing.

£35 is reasonable for that sort of event. I'll get a ticket tomorrow.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Nicko1234
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 05:18:11 AM »

I agree that the price is reasonable. I've never listened to either JLS or The Saturdays but they have had stacks of hits so it is a pretty good and varied line up.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 05:20:31 AM »

You're right-£35 is pretty good although I'm not sure if that is just for Barclaycard holders.

Either way, as much as I'd like to see to see M&B again, I'll wait for another indoor show like The Apollo gig a few years back.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 05:26:46 AM »

You're right-£35 is pretty good although I'm not sure if that is just for Barclaycard holders.

Either way, as much as I'd like to see to see M&B again, I'll wait for another indoor show like The Apollo gig a few years back.

Definitely hope it isn't just for Barclaycard holders -- that would be pretty off if it was. It'll still be cheaper than a Henley ticket would be, though.
I'd much, much rather see Mike & Bruce in a theatre than doing a hits set to a festival crowd, but given that they don't play the UK that often (two proper tours and a handful of short hops like this in the last twelve years) and their age, it might end up being the last chance. I'll take what I can get.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 05:33:38 AM »

Definitely hope it isn't just for Barclaycard holders -- that would be pretty off if it was. It'll still be cheaper than a Henley ticket would be, though.
I'd much, much rather see Mike & Bruce in a theatre than doing a hits set to a festival crowd, but given that they don't play the UK that often (two proper tours and a handful of short hops like this in the last twelve years) and their age, it might end up being the last chance. I'll take what I can get.
I was thinking that when I typed my reply.
We all know that Mike, at least, will keep playing until he drops but I hate the thought of their last UK performance being a GH supporting JLS. Hopefully they will do a couple of theatre shows next year. I guess a flat (probably nice big) fee from Barclays is better than hoping on ticket sales
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 05:49:27 AM »

Doing a show that night, and lol if I'm paying money to see fucking JLS, but in a charitable mood today so kinda annoyed I won't be able to see M&B.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 06:09:06 AM »

I was thinking that when I typed my reply.
We all know that Mike, at least, will keep playing until he drops but I hate the thought of their last UK performance being a GH supporting JLS. Hopefully they will do a couple of theatre shows next year. I guess a flat (probably nice big) fee from Barclays is better than hoping on ticket sales

As I understand it they always take a flat fee (though they may take a percentage on top).
And in some ways I'd have liked Wembley last year to have been the last show by any Beach Boys line-up, as well as the last ever real Beach Boys show. But since they're playing the set anyway, I'll gladly go and see it.
(I don't even know who any of the other people on the bill are, except Paul Young. JLS probably can't be worse than when I saw Mike & Bruce support Status Quo in 2001 -- and Mike and Bruce will be far, far better.)

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 06:18:57 AM »

Once again a picture of the Beach Boys tour from last year is being used.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 06:27:18 AM »

Was hoping for another gig, Henley's just too expensive. And exactly 2 years since the Epsom gig Grin I'm in, looking at some 2013 setlists and even the more barebones sets have some interesting things going on.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 06:29:59 AM by MaxL » Logged
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 06:39:46 AM »

Well, the Barclaycard site has the, ahem, 'proper' Beach Boys line up. I think that was just the NME not knowing the difference and going for a C50 photo.

Andrew-I completely agree. The Beach Boys finishing last year at Wembley would have been sublime but we all know that it wasn't going to end like that. In some ways, I'm glad M&B are still going doing the GH. The gig is pitched as a 'Family Day' so there are acts mostly tailored for kids/teens and I suppose they thought that they need an act for the parents. Unfortunately, I think being that most of the parents will be in their early 20s, the chances of one of them shouting out for Meant For You are quite slim!

It'll be an awesome gig anyway and as you said, catch them while you can!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 06:49:53 AM »

The image being used by the Hyde Park event website:

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 06:56:32 AM »

It's almost enough to make you be ashamed to be a fan. 

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 07:35:23 AM »

The Beach Boys ft. The Gruffalo

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 07:55:09 AM »

The image being used by the Hyde Park event website:

I can't help but chuckle at seeing the Beach Boys given equal billing with The Gruffalo. I initially thought that was a joke at Mike and Bruce's expense, but I now realise its not! I do enjoy seeing the Gruffalo smirking over Bruce's shoulder though - almost as though he can't believe it either.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 07:58:50 AM »

The BBs getting equal billing with the gruffalo is what the brand needs.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 08:02:37 AM »

The BBs getting equal billing with the gruffalo is what the brand needs.... Roll Eyes

Who cares about "the brand" though?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 08:21:08 AM »

Mike Love does!

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 10:00:15 AM »

JLS
PUPPET SHOW
The Beach Boys

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 10:31:28 AM »

To go or not to go... considering I'm seeing the stones there the night before.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Nicko1234
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 11:12:32 AM »

Has anyone been to see any Hyde Park shows in the past?

I've heard from a friend that the sound is terrible as they have been forced to turn it down due to complaints from local residents. And that obviously you could be a mile from the stage.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 11:37:44 AM »

To go or not to go... considering I'm seeing the stones there the night before.

Well, maybe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztFcpguCB8o

Does anybody else start singing "River song" too when this one comes on?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:45:45 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 11:50:12 AM »

Has anyone been to see any Hyde Park shows in the past?

I've heard from a friend that the sound is terrible as they have been forced to turn it down due to complaints from local residents. And that obviously you could be a mile from the stage.

I've heard nothing good about them - last year there was a big hullabaloo over Blur's set being incredibly quiet and the sound being cut as Bruce Springsteen was jamming with Macca or something. It's a bloody ridiculous place to stage an arena show, anyway.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx