gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:25:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A band I'm in, "Lawns"  (Read 1525 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2013, 03:20:45 PM »

So this isn't like most of the stuff that I post here because I don't sing in this band or write the songs... I just play guitar. I'd love to hear what people think of the album and my guitar playing.

There's two guitars, my guitar is the one in the right channel. Also I play bass on track 4 (the bassist is playing the guitar) and keyboard on track 5.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:42:26 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:09:19 PM by zatch » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 05:45:56 AM »

Haha oops it's lawnsnj.bandcamp.com

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 09:53:30 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:09:04 PM by zatch » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 10:14:13 AM »

My guitar is the one in the right channel, so I'm playing lead on Daylight Saving, the Chuck Berry part at the end of Molly, the electric guitar on Sad 90s Pop Song, etc. I kinda like the really abrupt transition in Daylight... it's completely unexpected.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 10:00:56 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:08:52 PM by zatch » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 11:44:24 AM »

Finally, after several plays of the tracks, I made the next conclusions:
1st, it’s a very ambitious work, most of the songs sound as possible hits. No wonder, because there are lots of nifty arrangements, sound effects etc. I especially like the guitar trade-off in both channels & the drumming. Also, the lead singer has a good homey singing voice.
That said, I’m not so keen on “Molly” & “Dogs w/o Angst”. Further details in track-by-track:

1. Molly – kinda reminds me of Queen & glam-rock in general. Which isn’t bad in itself but the melody & vocs are rather dull. The only good thing about the song is the coda – somehow, your cool guitar riffing saved it from being an absolute drag. Officially one of my favorite moments of the record.
2. Secretly Stoned – awesome! Everything about it is flawless: achingly beautiful melody, amazing rhythm & electric guitar playing, groovy drumbeats, terrific lead vocal. Definitely a nominee for my cellphone addition.
The other early slow version uploaded into soundcloud is great too, btw. I already downloaded it long time ago.
3. Half Life – another highlight. Again, solid guitars & drums, but this time the music is more optimistic. The last 25 seconds are real gem, I like that sustained ‘Hendrix’ ending. It adds some cool dark vibe imo.
4. Dogs w/o Angst – I’m not fond of this singer’s voice (though I enjoyed the harmonies). However, there’s sth. worse, i.e. the “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” rip-off. See, I don’t mind when artists - intentionally or not – steal ideas from each other. But I just can’t stand that Beatles song.
5. Authority Figures – it’s always good to hear cymbals. Middle 8 is epic! And of course, the keyboards are great! I can’t recall anyone playing in the similar style. Very unusual, I like how it sounds as if you did it spontaneously, in one take.
6. Sad 90s Pop Song – stellar vocal performance & beautiful benign melody. As for the electric guitar, it’s a masterwork & embellishment of the whole cut! I knew that you can do it!
7. Daylight Saving – what I said wrt the 6th track, only x1.000 times. When I heard those high e. guitar notes, I thought, “Wow, is Dan Scarpa a one underrated guitarist?!” Low notes somewhere near the end are good as well. As for the transition, it doesn’t get better than that. In short, very cool & interesting song. My 2nd fave.

Some queries:
1) What is a line-up of the band? Alex Drivanos is on drums (since he played bongos in Mount Moon), but others? Who are the 2 singers? I reckon the main singer is a leader & songwriter of the band, am I right?
2) I recognized Jenny Erwin among those mentioned in “Special thanks”. What was her contribution?
3) Did you come up with guitar riffs/lines on your own or were you (and maybe other bandmates) conducted by the chief what exactly play? I ask it because I read that in some groups the author can object to any creativity & suggest his/her own vision of the song, show which notes to hit. Hope your band had freedom in recording the EP & you all got along nicely.
4) What are your favorite tracks?   

Lastly, the cover art is jolly sweet, I like the image of the big sun in it. If only there was little of pink color, but alright. Also, thanks to whoever decided to share download link. Usually, bandcamps have either this or the “Buy Now $...” sign. Not both alternatives.

Slightly OT: I want to say once again that your song “Breathe In, Leave Out” is exquisite (almost in the same league as At My Window, I kid you not), even in its incomplete form. The “But as I rest I’m hoping that this day will soon end” bit is wonderful!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx