gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680786 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 03:47:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Doors' Ray Manzarek dies at 74  (Read 19481 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2013, 01:18:01 AM »

I think the best description of the band and how the members complimented each other is the story of the band playing a gig in early '67 when the promoter announced the band as "Jim Morrison and the Doors", to which Jim promptly replied, "no, we're called the Doors."

It's telling that Jim never went solo. As much as he was the figurehead so to speak, he needed Ray, Robby, and John behind him and vice versa. The four of them had an almost kinetic energy around them, almost an extra-sensory perception. You can hear it on live recordings. They could work around Jim even in the most drunk of states. That's a band that was clearly more than one member, or even all of them.
Here's a god example of that. This is from a show in Boston in 1970. Jim, by all accounts, was falling down drunk. He gives up on singing Five To One, but they keep playing on. They won't let him do another Miami. They'll finish the song with or without him.  Grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tyk957V-k0

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2013, 09:34:20 AM »

For me the two most memorable /epic keyboard runs of the 60's:

Doug Ingle - In a Gadda da Vida

Ray Manzarek - Light My Fire

R.I.P. Ray.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2013, 09:43:25 AM »

After giving it some thought over the last few days, I have come to the conclusion That Ray was more important to The Doors as a whole than even Jim was.
From watching various Doors films these past few days, I think Ray would have disagreed with the notion of anyone's importance to the band in favor of what each guy added to the mix when they got together to make music.

And Ray is and was a humble guy, which is refreshing in light of a few specific artists who think they and their image are more important to if not better than the music itself...

Robby addressed that subject in the Classic Albums:The Doors documentary. He said, and I'm paraphrasing, that when the band was working on a song, if somebody started a song, but another member added a part - a good part - they kept it. It wasn't a "don't mess with my song" kind of thing. Everybody's contribution was welcome, and Robby attributes that attitude to the band's success.

Ray was a humble guy, and seemed like a genuinely nice man. Even though he was a living legend, he always had time for his fans. Actually, Ray was probably The Doors' biggest fan. Yeah, there were times when he would get a little verbose and you would wince, but you still loved his enthusiasm. And I will miss that. Even though Jim was the life of the party and could last 'til the wee hours with his excessive behavior, I always got the feeling that if there was a session or a informal jam, that Ray would be the last man standing, he just had that passion for the music. And he never lost it....
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2013, 12:06:23 PM »

I read this in one of the many bios of The Doors.

There was a concert, I think in 1969, where Jim was too inebriated too continue, even for him.  I believe he passed out and they took him back stage.  Rather than cancel the show, Ray took over the vocals, and did all the songs from memory, without having ever sung most of them before.

I think you mean the September 15, 1968 show at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Jim passed out while watching the support act (Jefferson Airplane) and they did the entire show with Manzarek on vocals.

And I believe that was their only Dutch show ever. Fun fact that I just realized: The Beatles and The Doors each played just one concert in The Netherlands, and neither band managed to show up with all four members.

Yes, Shelter, thanks for the correction.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
halblaineisgood
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2013, 12:11:30 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:11:16 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2013, 08:25:25 AM »

Been listening to a lot of Ray, celebrating his music. These are my favorite "Ray songs" at this time, in no particular order, what are yours:

1. Light My Fire
2. Break On Through
3. Riders On The Storm
4. The Crystal Ship
5. Downbound Train
6. Ship Of Fools (Isle Of Wight)
7. When The Music's Over
8. L.A. Woman
9. Begin The World Again
10. The Soft Parade (1969 PBS Special)
Jason
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2013, 08:32:12 AM »

I can't much argue with your list, although I'd add Roadhouse Blues, Alabama Song, Moonlight Drive, You're Lost Little Girl, and Yes, the River Knows to that list.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2013, 08:41:24 AM »

I can't much argue with your list, although I'd add Roadhouse Blues, Alabama Song, Moonlight Drive, You're Lost Little Girl, and Yes, the River Knows to that list.

I actually had "Alabama Song" on the list and substituted it because I thought I had too many from the first album. I also wanted to put "Soul Kitchen" on there. Damn, Ray's organ did define the sound of that first album didn't it...
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2013, 11:45:03 AM »

I wanted to add, I believe that Ray's sound  was a big influence on the keyboard sound of Wild Honey.
Good point, never thought of that influence. 

Wild Honey sure is a rocked-out scorcher!  Wink
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2013, 09:14:55 PM »

Been listening to a lot of Ray, celebrating his music. These are my favorite "Ray songs" at this time, in no particular order, what are yours:

1. Light My Fire
2. Break On Through
3. Riders On The Storm
4. The Crystal Ship
5. Downbound Train
7. When The Music's Over
8. L.A. Woman
9. Begin The World Again
I think that this song is essential too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ybqb__MNNs

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2013, 06:24:15 AM »

1. Light My Fire
2. Break On Through
3. Riders On The Storm
4. The Crystal Ship
5. Downbound Train
7. When The Music's Over
8. L.A. Woman
9. Begin The World Again
I think that this song is essential too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ybqb__MNNs

Love "Ships W/ Sails"... Other Voices was the first new Doors album I ever bought. I first discovered The Doors in the summer of 1971, when all of their music was being played on AM radio. I didn't realize at the time it was because L.A. Woman had just been released - and Jim had just died. I was reading Baseball Digest instead of Rolling Stone, riding a bike instead of a car, and listening to an $8.00 transistor radio instead of a "stereo". "Light My Fire" got my attention big time, and my older sister bought the Doors' album 13. My parents bought me a record player for my birthday and that 13 album soon made its way into MY bedroom. Anyway, I saved up my money to buy an album, and in all of the stores (department stores used to carry records in those days), the bins were full of Other Voices - ON SALE! - so I bought that one over L.A. Woman and the rest. When you're a kid and pay for albums with coins, price is a factor. Back to Other Voices...Robby and John wrote "Ship W/ Sails"; I love the instrumental tag. There's some good musicianship on Other Voices and Full Circle. 
MBE
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2013, 11:22:53 AM »

I like the Doors. Would not say I am a huge fan, but I like them enough to buy many vinyl titles and boots. Ray seemed like a real guy and that's what is important. That you treat all people you meet with respect.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2013, 10:37:36 PM »

Been heavily into the "LA Woman"  deluxe edition lately. The alternate takes 2nd CD should be essential listeninng for any Doors fan. Great remaster of the original album too.

There was actually an announced boxed set that never happened, the LA Woman box.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:34:09 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2013, 10:45:12 PM »

Been heavily into the "LA Woman"  deluxe edition lately. The alternate takes 2nd CD should be essential listeninng for any Doors fan. Great remaster of the original album too.

That is actually an announced boxed set that never happened, the LA Woman box.
Man, I was so excited for that box set. The Doors's manager posted the tracklist back when it looked like it would actually be released. It was, simply put, a Doors fan's wet dream.  Grin There were going to be about five takes of The Changling on the set, for example.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2013, 08:18:39 AM »

RIP Ray.

The Doors were such a great f-cking band.  So damn original!  I always thought their sound was totally Ray's doing.  It was Ray's sound -- his utterly original, slightly creepy, yet at the same time comforting (almost toy-like) organ sound coupled with his remarkably well-suited and highly technical playing that made the band so damn fascinating and worthy of all the repeated listens.  It was half funeral and half soaring above the earth.

Not to discount the unique sounds that the others brought to the table.  They all had such unique sounds... one note played by any of them was instantly recognizable.  When does a band ever have that much character in all of their members?!?

But the lethal cocktail was certainly two-parts Jim and one part Ray.  Shake well!  Sprinkle liberally with Robbie's spicy, buzzy guitar and pour over Densmore's smoke signal drums. That's a damn good drink.

Thanks Ray.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 08:19:50 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2013, 12:27:30 PM »

Been heavily into the "LA Woman"  deluxe edition lately. The alternate takes 2nd CD should be essential listeninng for any Doors fan. Great remaster of the original album too.

That is actually an announced boxed set that never happened, the LA Woman box.
Man, I was so excited for that box set. The Doors's manager posted the tracklist back when it looked like it would actually be released. It was, simply put, a Doors fan's wet dream.  Grin There were going to be about five takes of The Changling on the set, for example.

It was truly a major bummer. My favorite Doors album. They should have atleast put it out on iTunes. Very inexpensive compared to a box.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2013, 01:05:29 AM »

Very sad, but I guess he was getting old. His keyboard work was always my favorite element of the band. He had a real gift.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2013, 02:27:03 AM »

Very sad, but I guess he was getting old.
Show some damn respect.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2013, 03:52:25 PM »

Show some damn respect.

Show some respect to me babe i luv u thanx 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2013, 04:36:08 PM »

Very sad, but I guess he was getting old. His keyboard work was always my favorite element of the band. He had a real gift.

Ray was a young 74. I bought this CD, Translucent Blues, by the Manzarek-Rogers Band, released in 2011. Ray sings a lot of the lead vocals on the album and he sounds just like he did on Other Voices and Full Circle. Of course he never lost his touch on the keyboard. Check out some of the YouTube videos of the Manzarek-Krieger concerts from the last couple of years. Those two guys loved playing those old Doors' songs and they still had it. One of my big regrets is never seeing The Doors. I compounded it by not seeing Ray and Robby while I had the chance.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2013, 12:19:06 AM »

I passed on seeing Ray and Robby when they played Pittsburgh a few years ago. I guess I was hoping that John Densmore would eventually decide to join.  Roll Eyes

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2013, 10:06:09 PM »

Show some damn respect.

Um.....no, no thank you.

This place is getting weirder by the day. Brow

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2013, 02:43:17 PM »

Show some damn respect.

Um.....no, no thank you.

Shux im just an old cougar don't mind me
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2013, 04:28:07 PM »

Still remembering the great Ray Manzarek, but also on this day, remembering the first Door to break on through to the other side ... Jim Morrison ... December 8, 1943 - July 3, 1971.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2013, 09:29:55 PM »

I completely forgot about that. I've been caught up in watching various programs on the 150th anniversary of the battle at Gettysburg(I'm a history buff/nutcase  Grin).

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx