gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:47:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce talks of the Beach Boys playing Vegas!  (Read 21349 times)
Jason
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2013, 05:54:29 PM »

I think Bruce is right about winning the "noncompetition" (if it even exists) just by having the name The Beach Boys. Most of the people that go to Beach Boys shows know nothing about the band other than maybe a couple hits and that it is easy music to enjoy a cooked dog and a margarita with. Hence "Bands, Brew, and BBQ."

Well, the Beach Boys are lucky to have a brand that allows pretty much anyone to go to an outdoor gig with friends and family and just chill and have a good time. Nothing wrong with that. Sure, Brian on his own caters to a different market, but that's another thing. I think there can be room for both.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2013, 05:56:30 PM »

I think Bruce is right about winning the "noncompetition" (if it even exists) just by having the name The Beach Boys. Most of the people that go to Beach Boys shows know nothing about the band other than maybe a couple hits and that it is easy music to enjoy a cooked dog and a margarita with. Hence "Bands, Brew, and BBQ."

Well, the Beach Boys are lucky to have a brand that allows pretty much anyone to go to an outdoor gig with friends and family and just chill and have a good time. Nothing wrong with that. Sure, Brian on his own caters to a different market, but that's another thing. I think there can be room for both.

I hope so, I'd hate to think this results in another round of court appearances.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2013, 06:00:42 PM »

Bruce Johnston said that quote last year, according to the article. There was no Brian, Al, & Dave band as of last year.

Bruce = Doofus

How soon Brooth forgets, Brian Wilson MADE the Beach Boys.

How this Brucey, you and Mikey go on tour and play ONLY Beach Boys songs that BW did not write.

Oh, that only leaves Kokomo and a couple others, huh.

Looks like without Brian's gifts and creativity you two are NOTHING. Tough Beans.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
oldsurferdude
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2013, 06:30:01 PM »

Bruce Johnston said that quote last year, according to the article. There was no Brian, Al, & Dave band as of last year.

Bruce = Doofus

How this Brucey, you and Mikey go on tour and play ONLY Beach Boys songs that BW did not write.

Looks like without Brian's gifts and creativity you two are NOTHING. Tough Beans.
Brian Wilson Made the Beach Boys??, No way, man. All those wonderful songs could only have possibly come from the swingin' tamborine of mYke Luhv. Brian just noodled at the piano and listened to Four Freshman songs all night long, so how could he have...I mean, you know, Brian came up with one note thus giving mYke the opportunity to write the balance  of the composition, right?? Pretty sure that mYke also came up with the motherlode of the vocal arrangements as well. Think about it-if it wasn't for mYke and his unlimited talent as a frontman Roll Eyes, Brian would have been a sheet metal worker.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 06:33:21 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
Jason
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2013, 06:44:07 PM »

I hope so, I'd hate to think this results in another round of court appearances.

I doubt it, because it's not like Brian, Al, and David are going out as "the Beach Boys".
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2013, 04:09:52 AM »

Bruce = Doofus

Brian Wilson Made the Beach Boys??, No way, man. All those wonderful songs could only have possibly come from the swingin' tamborine of mYke Luhv. Brian just noodled at the piano and listened to Four Freshman songs all night long, so how could he have...I mean, you know, Brian came up with one note thus giving mYke the opportunity to write the balance  of the composition, right?? Pretty sure that mYke also came up with the motherlode of the vocal arrangements as well. Think about it-if it wasn't for mYke and his unlimited talent as a frontman Roll Eyes, Brian would have been a sheet metal worker.

LOL LOL LOL

Mike could probably get bigger audiences (of his peers)  if they changed the name to "Cousin Love's Congestive Hearts Club Band", ya think?  Razz

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2013, 02:06:11 PM »

You guys are full of shite.

Like it or not, Mike and Bruce contributed heavily to keeping the Beach Boys a viable and reliable touring/live act leaving Brian all the room he needed to do what he wanted and to write (with Mike's help often) and produce their output. How many times have you guys gotten up onstage and represented the work of a musical genius with precision and authority to paying crowds? NEVER!

Mike's been at it since 1961 and Bruce since 1965 to astonishing returns. Brian was lucky to have such "puppets" out there making him successful.

It may be cheesy that The Bruce Boys are out there playing swap meets and SeaWorlds but you're talking out your asses if you think they've earned no right to be performing musicians of this material.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:08:51 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2013, 02:31:52 PM »

Like it or not, Mike and Bruce contributed heavily to keeping the Beach Boys a viable and reliable touring/live act leaving Brian all the room he needed to do what he wanted and to write (with Mike's help often) and produce their output. How many times have you guys gotten up onstage and represented the work of a musical genius with precision and authority to paying crowds? NEVER!

Mike's been at it since 1961 and Bruce since 1965 to astonishing returns. Brian was lucky to have such "puppets" out there making him successful.

It may be cheesy that The Bruce Boys are out there playing swap meets and SeaWorlds but you're talking out your asses if you think they've earned no right to be performing musicians of this material.
Brian was successful without mYke and brOOth-they just happened to be around and the pay was decent. They are not, however, the reason that Brian was successful. Talk about speaking out of where the sun don't shine. Shocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2013, 02:39:09 PM »

Brian was successful without mYke and brOOth-they just happened to be around and the pay was decent. They are not, however, the reason that Brian was successful. Talk about speaking out of where the sun don't shine. Shocked

Brian was successful without Mike?

When are you talking? On his solo tours where he was forced to get up and awkwardly dance while singing Mike lyrics on Fun Fun Fun? Or are you talking about 1961 when he founded/formed the Beach Boys without Mike or anyone's else's help? Or are you talking about all those decades where he fronted The Beach Boys all by himself without anyone else??
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2013, 03:00:12 PM »

Brian was successful without Mike?

When are you talking? On his solo tours where he was forced to get up and awkwardly dance while singing Mike lyrics on Fun Fun Fun? Or are you talking about 1961 when he founded/formed the Beach Boys without Mike or anyone's else's help? Or are you talking about all those decades where he fronted The Beach Boys all by himself without anyone else??

I think the bottom line is they have both found success in their own unique way.  The two entities can exist just fine without one another although both are guilty of mainly living off "past glories" than more modern accomplishments.  For those who argue Brian Wilson's stance in this debate, you can point to the fact that he has at least issued new solo material in the past two decades while M&B have yet to generate any new material independent of Brian Wilson since SIP which lead to that rather awkward moment with that reporter when she asked them a pointed question regarding new music.  Those taking up for Brian Wilson also will always have the argument that despite whatever contributions M&B have made to the legacy of "The Beach Boys" they still trot out every year playing songs principally written by Brian Wilson and if the aforementioned Wilson was ever able to pull the performing rights for those songs away from M&B, that tandem would be out of a job.

Now personally I've never been one to subscribe to the theory of "Brian & Five Idiots" but I do believe that Brian Wilson does deserve to be treated with a certain amount of deference when speaking of "The Beach Boys" as a whole.  That is just my personal feeling on the matter and while others may feel that all six members of the group contributed equally to the whole, my feelings have never fallen in line with that logic.  
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:01:11 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2013, 03:15:20 PM »

But Brian is generally spoken for with nothing but deference. Problem is, some think you can't compliment Brian without bashing Mike and this is what keeps these ridiculous arguments swirling in an endless cycle.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2013, 03:34:15 PM »

But Brian is generally spoken for with nothing but deference. Problem is, some think you can't compliment Brian without bashing Mike and this is what keeps these ridiculous arguments swirling in an endless cycle.

I have no argument with that.  I don't care for Mike Love but it has little to do with my fandom for Brian Wilson.  I think it's more than possible to judge both men on their merits independent of one another.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2013, 04:17:28 PM »

Razz Aside from razzing Cousin Love I don't think I mentioned anything patently untrue. No need to repeat those statements. So how about a new razz?

Did ya hear? Mike is coming out with a new album: "The Nine Wives of Mike Love" all proceeds go his alimony payments.  Razz

Necessity knows no law
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »

Razz Aside from razzing Cousin Love I don't think I mentioned anything patently untrue. No need to repeat those statements. So how about a new razz?

Did ya hear? Mike is coming out with a new album: "The Nine Wives of Mike Love" all proceeds go his alimony payments.  Razz

Why doesn't Mike just do a Broadway production of Redbeard and be done with it?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2013, 08:52:24 PM »

Pet Sounds did not need Mike Love.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2013, 10:36:37 PM »

And your point is?

Pet Sounds didn't NEED Carl, Al, Dennis, or Bruce either! Just like Rubber Soul didn't NEED John, George, or Ringo. We could have had all Paul songs with session players and it would still be a perfect album, right? Or all John songs and session guys.... I personally think Pet Sounds befitted greatly by Mike on That's Not Me and Here Today, Carl and Bruce on God Only Knows and on and on. But then, I'm not blinded by rabid and myopic worship of Brian. Seeing the big picture and the sum of a band's parts is an easy thing really. You just have to be OK with doing so. If you want nothing but layers of stacked Brian vocals, there are enough alternate takes around to sate that need. Why bother with Beach Boys albums when we have over a decade of Brian solo stuff with none of that pesky Mike Love?.... I can't think of a single band or musical situation where the primary guy NEEDED anyone else. Not even The Rolling Stones. But that's not what makes bands interesting. If you want the best possible musicians on the planet in a single band and no Mike Love-like leeches,  go listen to Asia or something. Otherwise, you're stuck with guys like Brian and the input of their friends and family.

And Pet Sounds is just a single album in a long and varied (key word) career. On that album Brian didn't NEED anyone but it doesn't mean that the folks he didn't need should have their contributions denigrated.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2013, 11:25:32 PM »

And your point is?

Pet Sounds didn't NEED Carl, Al, Dennis, or Bruce either! Just like Rubber Soul didn't NEED John, George, or Ringo. We could have had all Paul songs with session players and it would still be a perfect album, right? Or all John songs and session guys.... I personally think Pet Sounds befitted greatly by Mike on That's Not Me and Here Today, Carl and Bruce on God Only Knows and on and on. But then, I'm not blinded by rabid and myopic worship of Brian. Seeing the big picture and the sum of a band's parts is an easy thing really. You just have to be OK with doing so. If you want nothing but layers of stacked Brian vocals, there are enough alternate takes around to sate that need. Why bother with Beach Boys albums when we have over a decade of Brian solo stuff with none of that pesky Mike Love?.... I can't think of a single band or musical situation where the primary guy NEEDED anyone else. Not even The Rolling Stones. But that's not what makes bands interesting. If you want the best possible musicians on the planet in a single band and no Mike Love-like leeches,  go listen to Asia or something. Otherwise, you're stuck with guys like Brian and the input of their friends and family.

And Pet Sounds is just a single album in a long and varied (key word) career. On that album Brian didn't NEED anyone but it doesn't mean that the folks he didn't need should have their contributions denigrated.
In his heyday, Brian collaborated with lots of people. He never needed Mike. But Mike would have been nothing without Brian.

Kinda  touchy huh? Time to pour some wine,  light some candles,  and put on "Among the Stars".

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2013, 01:29:25 AM »

Little children marching along...
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2013, 04:07:43 AM »

Bruce seemed cool for a brief moment or two, circa 1971-72.  LOL

I've got to say, when Brian first toured SMiLE...Bruce was very cool about it. He made sure everyone knew that he'd got hold of a "unofficial DVD" and that he loved the completed SMiLE...that he'd be doing anything he could to help SMiLE win grammies.

Around the time Bruce had his heart bypass, he and Brian spent a fair amount of time on the phone...Brian calling to wish Bruce well and from what both guys said they were getting on well.

But yeah. Sometimes Bruce can be a jerk.

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2013, 06:52:49 AM »

Wassamatter Pinder are we messing with your formula?

Bruce opened his pie hole with his inflammatory comments about how "great"
it is to be THE Beach Boys and they were "winning" ...some us had issues with that. 

Guess the truth really hurts.
Cuz Love and Brooth should be eternally grateful and

Bow Bow Bow Bow x one million times

To Brian Wilson for making them weathly and famous. To say they would have acheived this solely on their own talents is the height of absubdity (yes thats what I said)  Grin

Necessity knows no law
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2013, 09:14:06 AM »

I would say, without Brian and Murry, there would not even probably have been a band at all, and they would surely not have had the lightning rise to success they did - Murry (like him or hate him) was key to this in the beginning - and so Mike Love, who had a new pregnant wife on his hands at the outset of the group (did he not?) would have had to go find a "real" J.O.B.   I could see Mike as L.A.'s "Used Car King", with TV spots and all.   Mike being a smart hard working hustler would have done well for himself income wise whatever he ended up doing - but it's  unlikely he'd be anywhere near worth what he is (because he was lucky enough to be related to Brian).   He can claim all the credit he wants, and certainly a good deal of it is merited - but - he only had the opportunity in the first place because of "you know who."    Without Brian, he is not "Mr. Positivity", not "The Lovester", not (quite possibly) "the most derided man in rock and roll history".    He might not have found TM either. 
Bruce on the other hand, I don't know, he may have fared just as well either way - he was Doris Days son after all (nepotism being what it is), and he was rich anyway, so....   Probably wouldn't have written "I Write The Songs" though.
No matter how much talent the others may have possessed - it was really only through Brian that they got the chance to exercise any of it on such a big scale.   
Brian on the other hand -you can't keep that kind of talent/ability down (IMO) and one way or another he would have made some kind of impact.  Would he be as famous and rich if not for the Beach Boy vehicle?  Maybe not, but he quite possibly would have had a happier life. 
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2013, 09:31:33 AM »

I could see Mike as L.A.'s "Used Car King", with TV spots and all.   

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Bruce on the other hand, I don't know, he may have fared just as well either way - he was Doris Days son after all (nepotism being what it is), and he was rich anyway, so....   

Hmmm I wasnt aware of Disney Boy's lineage.  King  but he needs to be a little more sensitive, and a sh!thold more humble! Cuzin' Love and Disney Boy need to be more mindful of where they started and how they got to where they are today. And as usual, Brian being the class act doesnt even acknowledge these mad rantings from *THE* Beach Boys

Necessity knows no law
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2013, 09:41:40 AM »

Bruce was not Doris Day's son.  Terry Melcher was.  And Terry worked hard, learned the ropes, and earned his keep at Columbia - don't think nepotism was involved there at all.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2013, 10:25:42 AM »

Little children marching along...

I was serious.  Some nice Pinot and Pinder's "Among the Stars" is very relaxing.

BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2013, 10:55:02 AM »

When many of these threads devolve into "one camp versus the other camp" catfight - which unfortunately seems to happen more and more (escpecially, it seems because one side of the camp here can't help but continue to bash the other) - it really denigrates the the "Beach Boys" and what was/has been achieved. And it just gets plain tiresome.
IMO, they both needed each other to reach the successes that they did and their place in music fame.
Undoubtedly Brian wrote, composed and created - but what took much of that to a level higher than his contemporaries were the harmonies of the group. The group with their harmonies, without the material from Brian, would not necessarily have been anything as special as they became.
Brian, for all his "genius", is far from perfect - devoted followers of the group know these too well to reiterate here. The same can be said for Mike (Bruce too if one thinks he should be grouped here). And, so does Al to an extent and so did Carl at one time and without a doubt Dennis too. If people here can't see that or fail to recognize it then they are just too blind with their own prejudices. So, neither side, nor their respective proponents can "cast the first stone".
For "The Beach Boys" and their respective members, the sum is greater than the parts.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx