gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:27:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will Brian. Al, and David perform "Kokomo"?  (Read 11816 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2013, 01:00:30 AM »

When Still Cruisin' came out, I thought for sure it would be a top 40 hit - how could it fail as the followup to a worldwide #1?

I actually like "Kokomo" and can see why it was a big hit even if it's not one of my favorites but "Still Cruisin'" is a better example of a really terrible Beach Boys song.

D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2013, 03:56:28 AM »

It's unlikely that they'll play Kokomo. Brian, Al and David are not trying to take the license to tour as The Beach Boys away from Mike & Bruce, Brian is just playing some shows with Al and David as special guests. There may never be another reunion between the two camps. Enough !
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2013, 06:49:36 AM »

No, never enough...Next thread: Will Mike and Bruce perform "Monkey's Uncle" as a Annette F. tribute?

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2013, 07:11:59 AM »

"I thought Kokomo was really great." - Brian Wilson

He liked Mount Vernon & Fairway too.

I listened to Kokomo this afternoon on GV boxset....I think I like Mount Vernon better.

I dont know, Kokomo gets you kind of groovin at first -- but before its over you wish it would end.   Grin

Could you imagine Brian playing Mount Vernon?
I would die a very happy man.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2013, 02:58:40 PM »

I listened to Kokomo this afternoon on GV boxset....I think I like Mount Vernon better.

I dont know, Kokomo gets you kind of groovin at first -- but before its over you wish it would end.   Grin

Azn Yes, and with Van Dyke as narrator.  Azn

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2013, 04:47:10 PM »

Azn Yes, and with Van Dyke as narrator.  Azn

My head would explode.
TOO MUCH AWESOME!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2013, 07:08:10 PM »

At the C50 show I attended Kokomo (and rock and roll music for that matter) brought the show to a screeching halt. It's pretty awful live.

For the reason alone it shouldn't be played. I'm pro Kokomo btw, it's a nice summer song.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2013, 07:45:36 PM »

At the C50 show I attended Kokomo (and rock and roll music for that matter) brought the show to a screeching halt. It's pretty awful live.

I agree, it felt awkwardly out of place.  If they put it earlier in the set, maybe it would sound better but it just doesn't work as an encore at all.  It's too mellow.

Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2013, 07:56:28 AM »

Yeah, I really doubt they'll play it. Honestly, I hope they don't as well lol. I want to hear some Love You cuts or MAYBE Don't Fight The Sea??

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2013, 09:02:39 AM »

sampled steel drums via Darien eh?

Necessity knows no law
Jason
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2013, 10:25:25 AM »

A substantial proportion of Brian's audience think Mike Love is the devil (in a couple of cases I think they actually think this literally) and that Kokomo is everything they hate.

A substantial proportion of Brian's audience are elitist schmucks who listen to nothing BUT the Beach Boys.

And then there's the substantial proportion of the Smiley Smile moderators who call Mike Love "Michael" all the time for some odd reason, even though he's only called that sparingly by friends or bandmates. Odd.

I'm sorry if it's the cause of any overbearing grief.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2013, 01:32:20 PM »

Before C50 I had wondered and hoped that they'd let David do a surf instrumental like "Stoked" or something like that. Of course I was more than happy with "Pet sounds". And although I guess he'll more likely play "Pet sounds" with Brian and Al, I'd still think "Surf jam" - for example - would be great

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2013, 04:47:47 PM »

A substantial proportion of Brian's audience think Mike Love is the devil (in a couple of cases I think they actually think this literally) and that Kokomo is everything they hate.

A substantial proportion of Brian's audience are elitist schmucks who listen to nothing BUT the Beach Boys.

And then there's the substantial proportion of the Smiley Smile moderators who call Mike Love "Michael" all the time for some odd reason, even though he's only called that sparingly by friends or bandmates. Odd.

I'm sorry if it's the cause of any overbearing grief.

I'll live. Hopefully.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2013, 06:08:12 PM »

Brian singing Kokomo would be like Slash's band performing November Rain.  Grin

Except "November Rain" is actually one of their more worthwhile songs.

Also, no, I'm sure people who are not Al, Brian or David would prevent such a thing from happening.

Actually it might be interesting to hear Albriandavid perform "November Rain"...Marks could perform the "surf guitar" version of Slash's solo.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2013, 01:10:02 PM »

The only thing I like about Kokomo is Carl's vocal so personally, I'd rather they not perform it. It's not a bad song but considering their catalog, there are at least 50 other songs I'd rather them play. It would be nice if they perform Forever with Dave on vocals.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2013, 01:58:57 PM »

good generalization right there.

seriously how did this dude get his position?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2013, 02:13:33 PM »

For the reason alone it shouldn't be played. I'm pro Kokomo btw, it's a nice summer song.

Shady - where was the show where Kokomo brought the show to a screeching halt?

The contrary was my experience...seemed they all grooved out where I was... Wink

All that great percussion of C50 with Cowsill  Drum 

And Bragg?  Drumroll

It rocked I thought!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2013, 03:45:08 PM »

Kokomo went over fine with the audiences at the shows that I attended. Shady, are you sure that it was just your song hatred swaying your outlook when it was played? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2013, 04:00:32 PM »

Kokomo went over fine with the audiences at the shows that I attended. Shady, are you sure that it was just your song hatred swaying your outlook when it was played? Wink

Shady's in Ireland, assuming that's an accurate profile, and so was probably at one of the UK gigs. Kokomo never goes down well here -- it was never a hit and no-one knows it -- and it did absolutely kill the momentum stone dead at Wembley when they did it as an encore. It worked far better the way they used to do it in UK shows, where it would come after a bunch of rarities and album tracks and before the rest of the hits, but even then it was never one the audiences over here went for.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2013, 05:02:39 PM »

It is slower than the other songs in the encore, but over here people love to sing along to it, so it works. I agree though that it would be better as you describe how they did it for you guys in the past.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2013, 07:03:41 AM »

I was at both The Albert Hall and Wembley gigs and people near where I was sat started leaving when they played Kokomo. The funniest sight, though, was seeing lots of people scurrying back to their seats when Brian came back out to do Summer's Gone at TAH.

I wonder if there is actually a good place to put Kokomo in the set. It definitely belongs there but just seemed out of place in the C50 set. Maybe they should have included Make It Big, Wipeout and Problem Child!!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2013, 07:08:55 AM »

I was at both The Albert Hall and Wembley gigs and people near where I was sat started leaving when they played Kokomo. The funniest sight, though, was seeing lots of people scurrying back to their seats when Brian came back out to do Summer's Gone at TAH.

I wonder if there is actually a good place to put Kokomo in the set. It definitely belongs there but just seemed out of place in the C50 set. Maybe they should have included Make It Big, Wipeout and Problem Child!!
"Problem Child" is a cool song but (to me, at least) - like "Kokomo" - heavily relies on Carl's vocal for its charm and quality.
I think the "Kokomo" studio version is nice enough but played live it doesn't do anything for me.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:12:36 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2013, 07:43:31 AM »

I don't think the people leaving was because of Kokomo as such -- at Wembley I think the show was just longer than people expected. I noticed a lot of people leaving straight after very popular songs toward the end -- a *LOT* of people round me left after they played Wouldn't It Be Nice, for example, like they'd been waiting for that one song and could then go.

As for where a good place for Kokomo is -- while I don't like the song much, it worked well in the 2008 sets when it went:
40. All This Is That
41. 'Til I Die
42. Disney Girls
43. Kokomo
44. Cottonfields
45. California Girls
46. Help Me Rhonda

Coming out of the more meditative part of the set, and going into the hits, it made a decent transition, and certainly didn't sap the energy of the crowd the way it does in other places.

(One of the funniest things I can remember, actually, is seeing an outdoor Mike & Bruce gig in 2001, when there was torrential rain right through the early part of the set. The band hit the first notes of Wouldn't It Be Nice, and the rain stopped entirely as soon as the notes were played, and it stayed dry through that, Sloop John B, God Only Knows and Good Vibrations. Then Kokomo started and the downpour began again...)

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2013, 07:53:50 AM »

I don't think the people leaving was because of Kokomo as such -- at Wembley I think the show was just longer than people expected. I noticed a lot of people leaving straight after very popular songs toward the end -- a *LOT* of people round me left after they played Wouldn't It Be Nice, for example, like they'd been waiting for that one song and could then go.

As for where a good place for Kokomo is -- while I don't like the song much, it worked well in the 2008 sets when it went:
40. All This Is That
41. 'Til I Die
42. Disney Girls
43. Kokomo
44. Cottonfields
45. California Girls
46. Help Me Rhonda

Coming out of the more meditative part of the set, and going into the hits, it made a decent transition, and certainly didn't sap the energy of the crowd the way it does in other places.

(One of the funniest things I can remember, actually, is seeing an outdoor Mike & Bruce gig in 2001, when there was torrential rain right through the early part of the set. The band hit the first notes of Wouldn't It Be Nice, and the rain stopped entirely as soon as the notes were played, and it stayed dry through that, Sloop John B, God Only Knows and Good Vibrations. Then Kokomo started and the downpour began again...)

Andrew-you're probably right about people leaving-I just noticed it more during Kokomo. I was looking at the setlists and the only places I could think of it going was after Getcha Back in the first set or maybe after Summer's Gone in the second set but that would have been before Forever.
That 2008 set (Hammersmith Apollo?) was outstanding. I had 2 friends with me who knew the hits but went and bought Sunflower and Holland off the back of that gig.
That story is quite funny-reminds me of BW doing Glastonbury and it stopped raining almost the instant he started his set. Was it BW at Kenwood that it downpoured the entire set?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2013, 11:30:02 AM »

Before C50 I had wondered and hoped that they'd let David do a surf instrumental like "Stoked" or something like that. Of course I was more than happy with "Pet sounds". And although I guess he'll more likely play "Pet sounds" with Brian and Al, I'd still think "Surf jam" - for example - would be great

Surf Jam - Rocker, I'm 100% with you there! One of my all-time favorite surf instrumentals!

I want a Brian/David/Al live version of Kokomo on MIC instead of the studio version! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx