gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:03:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will Brian. Al, and David perform "Kokomo"?  (Read 11863 times)
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:33:49 PM »

Just wondering if the BB trio will have "Kokomo" on their setlist?

Cook pork throughly
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:38:02 PM »

Not a chance. In my opinion, of course...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 06:52:54 PM »

I think they'll probably use it as their Final encore, using a video Backdrop of Mike singing the song.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 07:04:55 PM »

bummer

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 07:16:56 PM »

I can't hear any of them singing the lead or enjoying it...can't imagine the fans that Brian draws would either...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 07:33:37 PM »

Brian singing Kokomo would be like Slash's band performing November Rain.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »

Yes. But only in Spanish because that's what the meat and potatoes crowd wants.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 07:53:35 PM »

Brian singing Kokomo would be like Slash's band performing November Rain.  Grin

Except "November Rain" is actually one of their more worthwhile songs.

Also, no, I'm sure people who are not Al, Brian or David would prevent such a thing from happening.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 08:07:15 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL5GnkWqO1k 2:21

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 09:36:06 PM »

I don't think Brian has ever played it in his solo shows.  Al has though.

MBE
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 11:29:58 PM »

Considering how pissed off Brian looked during that song at the Chicago Beach Boys show last year, I don't think it will happen.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 11:38:05 PM »

I zoomed on Brian's face during Kokomo at BB's Berlin concert, just to see him sing merrily (for him) along. It's a cool song, written by their dear cousin and friend. I hope they do it. It would be a great way to rise above all the petty squabbling, and send a signal to Team Mike - "hey, you're alright, let's get back together and have some fun in the sun".

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Nicko1234
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 12:21:20 AM »

If they were calling themselves The Beach Boys then they might have been forced into doing it. As David covered it once he may have been elected singer as Al looked none too pleased when he had to sing it back in 1999/2000.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 12:59:05 AM »

Considering how pissed off Brian looked during that song at the Chicago Beach Boys show last year, I don't think it will happen.

Really?  Was at both shows and didn't notice it.  Brian was ridiculously on during that first show.
MBE
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 02:18:58 AM »

Yes he was really on that day, NONE of the concerts I had seen footage of or have been at since 1976 prepared me for how good he was that day. It was like you imagine he was at his 1961-70 shows. Not vocally of course, but in how much he led the show. If you didn't notice I must have mixed it up with the Milwaukee show.  Anyway I saw him frowning, not singing, and with his arms crossed in seeming anger during Kokomo. He was fine the rest of the show, close to Chicago actually if not quite as on, but it was very clear that the memory of it pissed him off.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 02:21:06 AM »

Yes he was really on that day, NONE of the concerts I had seen footage of or have been at since 1976 prepared me for how good he was that day. It was like you imagine he was at his 1961-70 shows. Not vocally of course, but in how much he led the show. If you didn't notice I must have mixed it up with the Milwaukee show.  Anyway I saw him frowning, not singing, and with his arms crossed in seeming anger during Kokomo. He was fine the rest of the show, close to Chicago actually if not quite as on, but it was very clear that the memory of it pissed him off.

I suspect it wasn't Kokomo itself, but something else, that was bothering him there. The three shows I saw, he sang enthusiastically on Kokomo and played a strong instrumental part.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Nicko1234
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 02:25:06 AM »

I suspect it wasn't Kokomo itself, but something else, that was bothering him there. The three shows I saw, he sang enthusiastically on Kokomo and played a strong instrumental part.

This.
MBE
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 06:13:56 AM »

I don't know how to put it, but he really just seemed upset to hear it. That's what my wife and I both saw and she didn't even know he wasn't on it.
Nicko1234
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 06:26:03 AM »

I don't know how to put it, but he really just seemed upset to hear it. That's what my wife and I both saw and she didn't even know he wasn't on it.

The voices?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 06:35:50 AM »

Could have been that he was unwell, that he'd had an argument backstage before the encore, that he'd just realised that a change they'd agreed to the setlist was being ignored, any number of things. At the shows I saw he played a very prominent instrumental role (the only keyboard for a good chunk of the song) and sang enthusiastically. It certainly wasn't a general problem with performing that song.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 08:44:18 AM »

Now, here's a post for the "wife/girlfriend downer comments" thread!

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 09:19:22 AM »

I say Yes.

Just to disagree with the majority. Razz

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 09:25:43 AM »

Personally I think it's almost exactly as likely as Mike and Bruce *not* doing Kokomo...

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 10:14:37 AM »

I'd say there must be as much chance of this happening as Mike & Bruce playing "Till I Die".

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 10:31:05 AM »

Ooh, ooh, I need to start a thread, I need to start a thread, about ANYTHING!!! Can't think, can't think, what can it be about?

I know, what are Brian's favourite socks? No, too esoteric.

Oooh, I know..... Name your favourite top ten top ten favourite top ten best list, no, there's been a few of those, don't want to clutter the board up.

Ermmmm.......

I know......!!!

Will Brian, Al and Dave perform Kokomo. Brilliant!!!! I'll ignore the fact there is already a dedicated Brian, Al and Dave thread, and this obviously doesn't belong in the "various insignificant questions" thread. 

CAN YOU HEAR ME CAPITOL?  I'M READY TO COMMIT MURDER!

WHERE'S THE BLOODY BOXSET?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx