gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 10:23:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike "Red Jacketed"  (Read 6190 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »

I guess I just don't take the whole fans of Brian vs. fans of Mike thing serious. it's very lame and bitchy to me. Many of the fans here probably argue more than The Beach Boys do. This whole justification of childish posts because "a fan of brianista said this" or "a mike lover said that" is worn out and old.  I like and dislike things about all of The Beach Boys as I'm sure everyone does. Is there nothing more interesting to talk about?

Unfortunately, the David Leaf/Dominic Priore school of thought was a lot of "fans" way-in to The Beach Boys and it's a hard thing to shake off..... The Brian-as-helpless-genius-and-The-Beach-Boys/Mike-as-bastards narrative it just too strong to resist or see around for some, and I can hardly blame them.... At least OSD's Mike hatred was hard earned over decades as an active fan being annoyed by Mike, so I can at least begrudgingly respect it.... But too many others seem like they've just gotten done watching Beautiful Dreamer and are just punch-drunk/misty eyed and are going to stick to that feeling no matter what other information they might be exposed to. And others are just mean people who will kick at an easy target because someone else told them it's OK.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2013, 02:36:55 PM »

I guess I just don't take the whole fans of Brian vs. fans of Mike thing serious. it's very lame and bitchy to me. Many of the fans here probably argue more than The Beach Boys do. This whole justification of childish posts because "a fan of brianista said this" or "a mike lover said that" is worn out and old.  I like and dislike things about all of The Beach Boys as I'm sure everyone does. Is there nothing more interesting to talk about?

I think it's a trickle down effect. I'll bet a band who all get on well and don't have huge rows, have a fanbase that behaves similarly. The Beach Boys have the fans they deserve.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »

Really appreciate all the charitable work Mike does, it's one of the best things about the guy. He's done it for a long time and I know he's helped a lot of people out.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2013, 04:50:13 PM »

I think it's a trickle down effect. I'll bet a band who all get on well and don't have huge rows, have a fanbase that behaves similarly. The Beach Boys have the fans they deserve.

That sums up the Beach Boys, their fans and this board pretty much more perfectly than I've ever seen.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2013, 11:55:04 PM »

Unfortunately, the David Leaf/Dominic Priore school of thought was a lot of "fans" way-in to The Beach Boys and it's a hard thing to shake off..... The Brian-as-helpless-genius-and-The-Beach-Boys/Mike-as-bastards narrative it just too strong to resist or see around for some, and I can hardly blame them.... At least OSD's Mike hatred was hard earned over decades as an active fan being annoyed by Mike, so I can at least begrudgingly respect it.... But too many others seem like they've just gotten done watching Beautiful Dreamer and are just punch-drunk/misty eyed and are going to stick to that feeling no matter what other information they might be exposed to. And others are just mean people who will kick at an easy target because someone else told them it's OK.

What annoys me about all the fans who swallowed Leaf's crap is they all hate Mike with a passion but conveniently seem to forget that he also bashes Carl and Dennis. So if you hate Love because of Leaf's writings than you by proxy should also mildly hate Carl and Dennis too. It's only fair.

Anyway props to anybody who donates to a good cause.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2013, 08:27:24 AM »

We call him "Mike" because "MICHAEL LOVE NOT WAR" just doesn't work on that (in)famous T-shirt.  Smokin

But it's way too late for him to be known as Michael to the general public.

He's always been a bit of a "climber" but as he's gotten older his give-back has become more focused and more principled. Some of the credit for that should go to Jacqueline, of course; we should not discount her influence on him in what has easily been his most stable, equal, and enduring marriage.
Jason
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2013, 08:43:06 AM »

What annoys me about all the fans who swallowed Leaf's crap is they all hate Mike with a passion but conveniently seem to forget that he also bashes Carl and Dennis. So if you hate Love because of Leaf's writings than you by proxy should also mildly hate Carl and Dennis too. It's only fair.

Anyway props to anybody who donates to a good cause.

You're asking them to engage in ideological consistency. I dare say you're asking too much.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx