gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:25:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's leadership of the band  (Read 59827 times)
Forrest Gump
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2013, 12:54:35 PM »

How's that?

Obvious Carl's drive and business are discribing the same thing.

When Carl talks about others stepping up he was talking about setlists....not the same as leadership.

And before Carl talks about the dive and business he says two words----"that's right". Carl was no dummy..anyone can read he was agreeing with the interviewer's question.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2013, 12:55:21 PM »

Not a smoking gun at all.

It's also funny how Mike being "drive drive drive' all the time turned into "business business business" by us posters..... Carl also said that each of them steps up to the reigns from time to time... I still insist if Carl or Al or Brian or anyone else wanted to stand their groun against the evil Mike wall of death, they could have managed to get their way.
Well gosh, or golly or even jeez, mYke might have quit and, well, they woulda lost their frontmahn.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2013, 01:14:28 PM »

It's also funny how Mike being "drive drive drive' all the time turned into "business business business" by us posters..... Carl also said that each of them steps up to the reigns from time to time... I still insist if Carl or Al or Brian or anyone else wanted to stand their groun against the evil Mike wall of death, they could have managed to get their way.
Al was suspended and kicked out for being a problem with Mike in the 1990s.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »

Well, any leader only leads at the sufferance of those he leads. Sure, if Carl or Al or Brian had banded together they could have deposed Mike as leader, doesn't mean that Mike is not the leader in the meanwhile.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2013, 02:10:39 PM »

Then, like I've said before, the other guys are just as much to blame for whatever the hell as Mike is.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2013, 02:20:01 PM »

Hey! Just thought about this-will Brian, Al and David  have a "frontman"? There's no way they can do it right w/o one, right?? LOL
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:21:40 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2013, 02:24:13 PM »

Sure they can, but we'll miss Mike's voice on lots of songs just like we miss Brian's (er, Jeff's) and The Bruce Boys shows.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2013, 02:51:19 PM »

How's that?

Obvious Carl's drive and business are discribing the same thing.

When Carl talks about others stepping up he was talking about setlists....not the same as leadership.

And before Carl talks about the dive and business he says two words----"that's right". Carl was no dummy..anyone can read he was agreeing with the interviewer's question.

Carl is agreeing with the interviewer about the sort of seeming leadership of Mike and confirming it. I don't see Carl equating drive and business. In the context of leadership in 1989 Mike has drive and loves business and was excited by the success of Kokomo.

I take it he means the setlists too in that interview. But the rest of the group had taken leadership in the recordings and touring at various times before and after 1989.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2013, 02:53:07 PM »

Then, like I've said before, the other guys are just as much to blame for whatever the hell as Mike is.
Well, I like SC and SIP more than Carl's away-from-the-Beach-Boys stuff. Carl's melodies were wan and his arrangements generic MOR pablum. At least Mike and Terry came up with some catchy vocal riffs.

So, 1) Mike was the leader post BB'85, and 2) did a better job at than Carl or Al could have done. Better, but not good enough.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »

Also, thanks for posting bgas and Steve ^_^

Hope there aren't any typos etc. up there, I did it pretty quickly but wanted to... erm, digitize it.

you did a good job. top line reads:
Carl Wilson interview/ May Fair Hotel, London, Sept. 8, 1989

here is the rest of the missing parts....

lk: what about dennis?
cw: oh god- dennis...that was a big blow, it put us all in a strange place.
lk: did the group consider breaking up after his death?
cw: no, it brought us all closer together. with dennis there were some really difficult times. but, he was a great guy with a big heart.

plus line six..it should say "a new caribou compilation" not capitol.

Thanks Smiley

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2013, 06:07:44 PM »

Sure they can, but we'll miss Mike's voice on lots of songs just like we miss Brian's (er, Jeff's) and The Bruce Boys shows.
No we won't miss anything that smacks of mYke-and, there will be no cornfed humor, gold rings, pointing, horrible, warmed over nasal bleatings or well known ego issues.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2013, 06:15:27 PM »

No we won't miss anything that smacks of mYke-and, there will be no cornfed humor, gold rings, pointing, horrible, warmed over nasal bleatings or well known ego issues.

o okay

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2013, 07:51:17 PM »

wow, Pet Sounds wasn't available in the states around the time of that interview.

Did Landy really want a producer credit on Pet Sounds or did I read that wrong?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2013, 07:16:07 AM »

Landy has some kind of producer credit on the first copy of PS of my household.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2013, 07:33:58 AM »

what a criminal bastard. I have mixed feelings of appreciation for him for saving Brian's life and utter contempt for him pulling all his illicit sh*t and abusing his relationship with his patient.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 15, 2013, 07:47:31 AM »

what a criminal bastard. I have mixed feelings of appreciation for him for saving Brian's life and utter contempt for him pulling all his illicit sh*t and abusing his relationship with his patient.

I think any doctor could have done the former, given the levels of control over Brian's life Landy was given. Very few would have stooped to the latter.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2013, 11:59:45 AM »

I can't get a grasp on what Landy could have been thinking wanting a producer credit on Pet Sounds. I just... how.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Nicko1234
« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2013, 12:37:30 PM »

I think any doctor could have done the former, given the levels of control over Brian's life Landy was given. Very few would have stooped to the latter.

I'm not sure about 'any doctor'.

Al has said that they all knew about Landy's personality and that he had to be dragged out of meetings when it was suggesting that they should re-employ him. But that Carl had run out of other options.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 15, 2013, 12:47:33 PM »

I'm not sure about 'any doctor'.

Al has said that they all knew about Landy's personality and that he had to be dragged out of meetings when it was suggesting that they should re-employ him. But that Carl had run out of other options.

Not just ANY doctor, but then, Landy obviously played "hard to get" to be certain he got what he wanted the second time around. 
Worked, didn't it! 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2013, 12:55:23 PM »

The treatment of Brian was complex because he had gotten quite heavy and was polyaddicted. There was no conventional treatment program in 1983 Mental Health or Chemical Dependence Treatment that would have been able to help him. His resistance to change was extreme.In this sense, had Landy done 3 to 4 years of milieu therapy with him, and then continued on an outpatient basis afterward, we would be lionizing him as a genius instead of vilifying him. Chemical Dependence and Mental Health Inpatient Treatment was in its infancy them. A treatment theory grounding practice in a model for MH/CD treatment did not emerege until the mid 80s. I think the family did what they could do, but who knows? There were few if any MH/CD professionals doing long-term milieu therapy at the time Brian so desperately needed it.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »

and we have you peter to thank also in saving his life..................

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »

The treatment of Brian was complex because he had gotten quite heavy and was polyaddicted. There was no conventional treatment program in 1983 Mental Health or Chemical Dependence Treatment that would have been able to help him. His resistance to change was extreme.In this sense, had Landy done 3 to 4 years of milieu therapy with him, and then continued on an outpatient basis afterward, we would be lionizing him as a genius instead of vilifying him. Chemical Dependence and Mental Health Inpatient Treatment was in its infancy them. A treatment theory grounding practice in a model for MH/CD treatment did not emerege until the mid 80s. I think the family did what they could do, but who knows? There were few if any MH/CD professionals doing long-term milieu therapy at the time Brian so desperately needed it.

Thanks for the insight, Peter! I don't have the experience to really look at Brian's treatments from a professional standpoint, which does bug me as obviously it's a huge factor.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 03:51:51 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Nicko1234
« Reply #172 on: May 15, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »

A very interesting post.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 15, 2013, 04:44:01 PM »

So do you think Brian would have died if not for Landy treating him?

Ive pondered the question before.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2013, 05:15:39 PM »

If the alternative is 'Brian received no treatment at all', then yes - Brian would have killed himself with drink, coke, and pills. Like Hendrix or Janis, it would have been that one dose too many.

If you meant 'could someone else have treated Brian', I'd like to think someone else could - Peters post implies that those someone elses were rare in the 80's. What colours Landy's treatment is its totality. No other shrink on earth would have demanded writing credits.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx