gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:08:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's leadership of the band  (Read 59809 times)
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2013, 06:45:41 AM »

i have a printed interview with carl done sept. 8th 1989 in london. paper it is typed on says at "may fair" hotel.
the interviewer's initals were lk. carl was asked about mike taking over leadership of the band. carl replied that yes that was true, mike was the leader. went to say how mike is all business business business. on the phone..blah blah....

so you have carl himself saying mike was the leader at that point in time. carl also said he had songs he wanted to do live but he could not get them in the setlist. so carl did not have control of the setlist, however or whomever it was done back then.

i have no scanner. but if someone has a fax machine i can fax it to them if they are interested in reading it.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2013, 07:19:05 AM »

Maybe it could be faxed to someone who could scan it and post it.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2013, 07:40:38 AM »

Holy crap...
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2013, 07:44:58 AM »

ok by me. it's at home..i'll bring it to work tomorrow. if someone in u.s. offers i will gladly send it along.

got this from an old time collector who i traded with back then. some here may remember him. his name is gary virts. lived outside washington dc back then.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:51:52 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2013, 07:47:32 AM »

So if it is true that Carl admitted Mike was the leader, will you admit defeat Cam?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2013, 07:49:18 AM »

Sure.

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2013, 07:53:33 AM »

heck...pm your address and i'll even mail you a copy.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2013, 08:39:20 AM »

Done.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2013, 09:09:19 AM »

i have a printed interview with carl done sept. 8th 1989 in london. paper it is typed on says at "may fair" hotel.
the interviewer's initals were lk. carl was asked about mike taking over leadership of the band. carl replied that yes that was true, mike was the leader. went to say how mike is all business business business. on the phone..blah blah....

so you have carl himself saying mike was the leader at that point in time. carl also said he had songs he wanted to do live but he could not get them in the setlist. so carl did not have control of the setlist, however or whomever it was done back then.

i have no scanner. but if someone has a fax machine i can fax it to them if they are interested in reading it.

The smoking gun document has been introduced into evidence.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2013, 07:42:20 PM »

I guess I'm the only other person in the Whole USA( besides Steve) that still can find a fax machine, albeit a run-down model.  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 04:02:04 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2013, 08:21:48 PM »

Thanks so much for posting that interview. Carl was remarkably candid there.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2013, 08:36:40 PM »

Awesome interview. I agree with Emdeeh that Carl was really candid in it. It's really a shame that him and Brian hardly worked together for so many from '85 and on. Brian still was writing some good songs, and it's a shame. Just having him on a song as goofy as "In My Car" lifted it up a notch just by having his vocals on it. As Carl admits, Landy did save Brian's life, but it's a shame he kept him separated from his family and his group for such a long stretch.

Interesting that Carl seemed very into playing different material than the "meat and potatoes", but remarked that he was "in the minority" on that. I get the feeling that he didn't push it that much though, because apparently Al felt the same way. Which would leave Mike and Bruce being for the simple, obvious set lists.

Also, a prescient take by Carl on the 40th and 50th anniversaries and  how he said Mike would be the only one around. Obviously, the 50th had the Brian, et al included, but it's interesting that Carl saw a time when Mike basically be the only true touring original "Beach Boy".

And Cam, that is game, set, and match!! Was that article enough for you to admit defeat?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2013, 09:03:27 PM »

CARL WILSON interview/ May Fair Hotel, London, Sept. 8, 1989

LK: Are you happy to be back with Capitol?

Carl: It's a good business move. I hope it works out all right.

LK: Why only five new songs on Still Cruisin'?

Carl: I wanted more new songs. Capitol only wanted three, we managed to get five.

LK: Why didn't you include songs like "Chasin' The Sky", which also were on film soundtracks?

Carl: No, that's CBS material, and they have the right to it a few more years. A new Caribou compilation album may come out soon.

LK: Why didn't you write any songs for Still Cruisin'?

Carl: I did write one, with Phil Goldstein, but I wasn't satisfied with the way it turned out in the studio.

LK: Will you record a third solo album?

Carl: I may, and I would like to work with different people for it.

LK: What I would love to see is an LP with you and Brian!

Carl: Oh, that would have been great. But at the moment the situation is extremely difficult.

LK: In what way?

Carl: It has to do with Landy, but I can't say anything it now. There will come a time...

LK: Why isn't Brian with you on the European tour?

Carl: I don't know. I called him several times, but I only got his answering machine. But he did tell my mother that he wanted to come. I have seen very little of Brian the past six years.

LK: It seems that Mike has sort of taken over the leadership of the Beach Boys right now?

Carl: That's right - he's drive, drive, drive all the time. He loves business, he's always on the phone. Michael was very excited by the "Kokomo" success.

LK: At one time you left the group because you felt the Beach Boys didn't take the live group seriously enough.

Carl: Yes, that was in the summer of 1980 after the European tour. The excitement of that trip carried us through, and Brian was with us - that was special. But then it started to get boring, the band wasn't alive, we didn't do our best. Of course, you go through the motions playing the same songs night after night. We've been doing it for 28 years.

LK: So why don't you include songs like "Cool, Cool Water" and "Caroline, No", for example, instead of doing cover versions like "Little Old Lady From Pasadena" and "Little GTO"?

Carl: We have done "Cool, Cool Water" from time to time, and we did "Caroline, No" last year. I would like to do that more, but I'm in a minority in the group. Of course, there are times when each one of us is more active. Sometimes it's Al, and he does more of his stuff, now it's Michael. I hope Brian gets more involved. I spent some time with him in the studio when he recorded "In My Car" and it was great. I like the music, but Brian should collaborate with his peers, not Gene (Landy) and wife. These lyrics: "I'm master of my fate when I accelerate," ... what? (Carl laughs and shakes his head). Gene couldn't hit the right note even if his life depended on it! I said to Brian, "Feel free to call me." But Landy doesn't like me because I say the truth.

LK: Do you like Brian's album?

Carl: Oh yes. It's too easy to say, "it's not Pet Sounds," but that's not the point. I especially like "Let It Shine". I have heard tapes from Brian's next LP. It's fantastic!

LK: Speaking of Pet Sounds, it has now been released in Japan for the second time - why isn't it out in the States?

Carl: That's a Landy problem. He wanted producer credits on it.

LK: Some say it's possible to get Pet Sounds in stereo?

Carl: Yes, it definitely is. It was mixed in mono, but recorded in stereo.

LK: Will we ever see a Smile release?

Carl: I feel Smile is incomplete. To go back and finish it, I don't know.

(At this point the lady from the record company knocks on the door, our 20 minutes are up. But Carl says he wants to go on!)

LK: When will see a new album of Beach Boys songs?

Carl: Well, we've certainly run out compilations, don't you agree? The new LP should have been called 5 Big Ones (laughs). Perhaps next summer.

LK: If you could freeze Beach Boys in time, which period would you choose?

Carl: I don't know, we've learnt so much from so many periods. And you don't learn anything when everything is great! But I would perhaps say around Friends. The group was pretty close. We all had families and took time to see our kids grow up. It was great, too, in the beginning, when my father worked hard to get us a recording contract with Capitol. He also produced half of our first album, was that Surfin'... (Carl apparently does not remember which LP came first!)

LK: Safari.

Carl: Yeah - not many people know that.

LK: Do you miss your father?

Carl: Sometimes, but it's been so long since he died.

LK: What about Dennis?

Carl: Oh God - Dennis... that was a big blow, it put us all in a strange place.

LK: Did the group consider breaking up after his death?

Carl: No, it brought us all closer together. With Dennis there were some really difficult times. But he was a great guy with a big heart.

LK: Will the Beach Boys see their 40th or 50th anniversary?

Carl: No, no. Michael will probably be there... (smiles). What I would like us to do in the future is get together from time to time for special occasions, like fund raising shows. I am certainly not willing to keep going at this level, playing 100 shows a year. I would like to produce other people, among other things.

LK: In 1978 there were talks about the Beach Boys going to Russia...

Carl: Yeah, but then Carter and Brezhnev started quarreling. I hope to play there some time. We tried to arrange a free concert in East Berlin during this tour, but it didn't happen. I really feel for those people.

LK: The Stones have been away for several years and now they've come back with their best album in a long time .Do you feel the Beach Boys ought to do the same?

Carl: Oh yes, that would have been good for us. I have said it many times: we ought to take a break and come back with a fresh view. I would hope Brian would come back with us, but those ridiculous Landy demands. Brian is Landy's life...

LK: But would Brian have been alive today without Landy?

Carl: No. And I will thank him for that. But he should stay out of the music and the business.

LK: The "Brian Is Back" campaign during the 70s...

Carl: That was early, but I think it did him some good, touring with us.

LK: You seem more open about certain subjects now; you were always very protective of the group?

Carl: Well, I'm more confident. And there comes a time when you no longer can say "Oh Brian? He's okay."

(here the journalist gets a little bolder)

LK: You have had your problems as well. In Australia (in the 70s) you fell off the stage?

Carl: Oh yeah. That was a combination of tranquilizers and alcohol. They were difficult times, powers were ripping the group apart.

LK: There were rumors that you took heroin?

Carl: No I did not, not at all.

(Time for something completely different...)

LK: Have you heard the Wilson/Phillips group?

Carl: My nieces? Oh they're very good, I think they will get a hit. They've gotten tons of money from their record company, and the best songwriters in New York. They work really hard - that's the key. I tell my own children: you must practice! That's what we did before we made it, many hours a day.

(Another knock on the door, nearly an hour has passed and Carl Wilson is off.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:22:39 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2013, 09:03:44 PM »

Also, thanks for posting bgas and Steve ^_^

Hope there aren't any typos etc. up there, I did it pretty quickly but wanted to... erm, digitize it, and there were spots that were a little tricky to read as is.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:20:22 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2013, 03:30:09 AM »

Thanks Steve and bgas.

Carl confirms "Mike has sort of taken over the leadership of the Beach Boys right now" in 1989. Since at least Kokomo's success the previous Fall apparently. And we have previously established Mike had the leadership on SIP in 1992.

Regarding the setlist, in 1989 Mike is more active and Carl is in "a minority" but there are times when each of them "are more active".

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2013, 03:41:27 AM »

Fascinating and very honest interview. I respect the guy even more than before.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Nicko1234
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2013, 04:47:29 AM »

It is very weird that Carl stated he wasn't willing to carry on playing 100 shows a year and yet he still went on doing it. The almighty dollar I presume.

Does anyone know if it was Run Don't Walk that was written by this point?

Interesting to have it confirmed that stuff like Chasin' the Sky couldn't be included due to it being done on another label.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2013, 04:59:39 AM »

Also, thanks for posting bgas and Steve ^_^

Hope there aren't any typos etc. up there, I did it pretty quickly but wanted to... erm, digitize it.

you did a good job. top line reads:
Carl Wilson interview/ May Fair Hotel, London, Sept. 8, 1989

here is the rest of the missing parts....

lk: what about dennis?
cw: oh god- dennis...that was a big blow, it put us all in a strange place.
lk: did the group consider breaking up after his death?
cw: no, it brought us all closer together. with dennis there were some really difficult times. but, he was a great guy with a big heart.

plus line six..it should say "a new caribou compilation" not capitol.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 05:13:18 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2013, 05:14:10 AM »

Thanks, Steve, for that. It was very insightful, and clearly demonstrated straightforwardness on Carl's part.  I liked that he seemed really OK with Kokomo's success and renewed enthusiasm for the work.  I also liked that he alluded to what I would characterize as "outside forces" on the band.  And, the balanced perception on Landy.  He felt he saved Brian's life but should stay out of music.

The Boys really have/had a global perspective about bringing the music to the four corners of the globe, including East Germany at the time, and Russia.  Travel, internationally, is the best teacher.  They should all have Ph.D's for their "experiential education."   Wink

Thanks again!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2013, 05:14:19 AM »

This interview was made when I saw the Beach Boys for the first time at Wembley Arena. September '89. The whole crowd were all wearing those dayglow surf shirts, very much the vogue in the late 80's. All except me and my friend, aged 17, looking pretty much like my avator, long hair and flares, off our tits on hashish.

I spent the whole concert screaming "CARL", and requesting deep album cuts and Smile stuff. (didn't happen) After reading that interview, I hope he heard and appreciated there were still some real fans out there.

Carl was a top man.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2013, 05:22:41 AM »

one other thing...i offered this because it had something in it about this thread. it was not offered to rub someone's nose in it or try to convince anyone one way or the other. just an article with something to offer here. i'll let other's decide for themselves.
to me though...carl was asked a direct question and he gave a short but very direct answer. good enough for me.
and i hope this was useful to people.
and i want to add "you are welcome" to all who said thanks........and to bgas for posting it and runners for typing it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 05:27:32 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2013, 08:12:25 AM »

one other thing...i offered this because it had something in it about this thread. it was not offered to rub someone's nose in it or try to convince anyone one way or the other. just an article with something to offer here. i'll let other's decide for themselves.
to me though...carl was asked a direct question and he gave a short but very direct answer. good enough for me.
and i hope this was useful to people.
and i want to add "you are welcome" to all who said thanks........and to bgas for posting it and runners for typing it.

Cheers and thanks to you Steve, as well as bgas and "runners". Thanks also for posting this reply, which is not only classy but a sentiment I wish were so universal on this and other discussion forums that it would not need to be posted because the sentiment should be understood among those having these discussions and debates.

Sometimes I feel the posting of something like an interview, a photo, a film clip, or even a set of historical facts in the heat of a debate gets misunderstood as "rubbing someones nose in it" or trying to somehow throw a dagger at those who disagree. Maybe it's a reaction I see that really isn't there, but what Steve says above is in the spirit of what a number of posters here feel when posting this kind of stuff. It's not about scoring points or winning the match, it's about sharing the information and getting the materials out there so people reading can dissect and analyze them before forming a fixed opinion.

Again, my own long-windedness can be boiled down to saying "Thanks!".  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2013, 08:20:49 AM »

It is very weird that Carl stated he wasn't willing to carry on playing 100 shows a year and yet he still went on doing it. The almighty dollar I presume.

How about the concept I raised earlier in these discussions about Carl being a team player, perhaps more than others in the same band? The notion of putting one's head down and doing a day's work, when perhaps you'd rather be doing something else or playing another role within your group, for the benefit of those on your team is one which Carl would seem willing to do if he was needed.

It's certainly as valid as presuming Carl was doing it strictly to fill up bags of money, and certainly a possibility to consider equally to that less flattering suggestion which implies it was all about the money. And obviously, rock stars do get paid and enjoy getting paid and demand what they think their talent is worth in terms of money, but don't you think there was something else there with Carl beyond the paycheck? Loyalty, obligation, team, etc...

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2013, 10:39:33 AM »

Thanks for posting that interview. Fascinating

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2013, 11:47:28 AM »

Not a smoking gun at all.

It's also funny how Mike being "drive drive drive' all the time turned into "business business business" by us posters..... Carl also said that each of them steps up to the reigns from time to time... I still insist if Carl or Al or Brian or anyone else wanted to stand their groun against the evil Mike wall of death, they could have managed to get their way.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx