gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:28:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: For anybody who doesn't have the "Good Vibrations Tour" DVD...  (Read 10134 times)
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 02:10:31 PM »

I have a soft spot for the 1976 NBC-TV Special. I was getting hooked big time.

As flawed as the band was at that time, there were still some musical highlights, and also a "nearing the end of an era" if you will. "Sloop John B" is one of my favorite live versions of that song; check out Carl's guitar playing and Dennis' drumming. Carl's singing on "God Only Knows" has him still singing in his angelic voice; while he would remain spectacular for many years to come, his singing voice would get huskier so I appreciate this 1976 version. Same with Mike, in 1976 he hadn't gone completely "nasal" yet. The version of "It's Ok", with the reversed choruses, is full of energy. The Hornettes, the sailboat stage, the wives, McCartney, the SNL crew, everything! And then there's Brian. When you watch him laughing and trying to crack up his brothers during "I'm Bugged At My Old Man", you see a man who for a brief moment...could share a fun, happy moment with his brothers. He was smiling, laughing, naturally. He didn't do too much of that post-1976.

This 1976 film is loopy, all over the place, and like 15 Big Ones, might've missed the mark and turned some people off. But for nuts like us, it's priceless.

I'll add one other thing that I really loved from that '76 version of "God Only Knows.":

That little harmony thing that Al did on the tag during the "God only knows..." answer line. It always stuck with me, to the point that I'll occasionally add it myself when singing along.

BTW, this, along with a few of the other Broadway Video specials were summer syndicated for TV, here in the States, sometime in the mid-late 80s (e.g. Paul Simon's first solo NBC special). That's when I recorded it. Unfortunately, some choice moments were edited out, including the "Double Rock-That Same Song" bit.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 02:11:23 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »

I have a soft spot for the 1976 NBC-TV Special. I was getting hooked big time.

As flawed as the band was at that time, there were still some musical highlights, and also a "nearing the end of an era" if you will. "Sloop John B" is one of my favorite live versions of that song; check out Carl's guitar playing and Dennis' drumming. Carl's singing on "God Only Knows" has him still singing in his angelic voice; while he would remain spectacular for many years to come, his singing voice would get huskier so I appreciate this 1976 version. Same with Mike, in 1976 he hadn't gone completely "nasal" yet. The version of "It's Ok", with the reversed choruses, is full of energy. The Hornettes, the sailboat stage, the wives, McCartney, the SNL crew, everything! And then there's Brian. When you watch him laughing and trying to crack up his brothers during "I'm Bugged At My Old Man", you see a man who for a brief moment...could share a fun, happy moment with his brothers. He was smiling, laughing, naturally. He didn't do too much of that post-1976.

This 1976 film is loopy, all over the place, and like 15 Big Ones, might've missed the mark and turned some people off. But for nuts like us, it's priceless.

I'll add one other thing that I really loved from that '76 version of "God Only Knows.":

That little harmony thing that Al did on the tag during the "God only knows..." answer line. It always stuck with me, to the point that I'll occasionally add it myself when singing along.

Yes, absolutely. That's a very touching moment, thanks for mentioning it.

You know, since I'm posting this, there's those other "slices" that personalize the guys: Dennis on The Harmony, Al on his farm, even Brian in bed. The first glimpses of the heavy Brian. Mike in his flashy stage outfits. Al's funny hats. Karen Lamm-Wilson. With the passing of time this documentary is more meaningful.
Nicko1234
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 03:10:02 PM »

No contest between the quality level of the Beach Boys in '76 as opposed to the Knebworth period. In '76 they still retain the remnants of their glowing mid '70's peak...by Knebworth they were cheesy and wheezing. Plus Knebworth is overdubbed, Its OK is the real live stuff. Admittedly Dennis' presence gives Knebworth some credible rock energy, but in general the band was in decline, they had let go half the band because they didn't meditate, the horns were gone, everything organic replaced by Meros on keys, satin baseball jackets and shorts were on the rise. 1976 was the last tour that easily sold out 50,000 plus stadiums throughout the states, by '80 they had trouble selling out the 17,000 seat Forum in L.A. I saw them both years, '76 and '80...I'd take the '76 show a zillion times over the '80 show.

Agree with all of that apart from Dennis giving them some 'credible rock energy'. We should perhaps be thankful that his drums like the rest of the instruments were overdubbed. Some of his drumming on other concerts in 1980 certainly wasn't up to much anyway.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 03:15:56 PM »

I may be in the minority but I prefer the raw tapes to the released version.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 06:49:47 PM »

Always loved the "boogie" version of Rhonda that was included near the end of the show.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »

I'd like know the video quality is better than fuzzy-wuzzy VHS blurrie-action.

Ive put in my years...decades watching that kind of of stuff and I am completely spoiled now.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 01:19:26 PM »

No contest between the quality level of the Beach Boys in '76 as opposed to the Knebworth period. In '76 they still retain the remnants of their glowing mid '70's peak...by Knebworth they were cheesy and wheezing. Plus Knebworth is overdubbed, Its OK is the real live stuff. Admittedly Dennis' presence gives Knebworth some credible rock energy, but in general the band was in decline, they had let go half the band because they didn't meditate, the horns were gone, everything organic replaced by Meros on keys, satin baseball jackets and shorts were on the rise. 1976 was the last tour that easily sold out 50,000 plus stadiums throughout the states, by '80 they had trouble selling out the 17,000 seat Forum in L.A. I saw them both years, '76 and '80...I'd take the '76 show a zillion times over the '80 show.

Agree with all of that apart from Dennis giving them some 'credible rock energy'. We should perhaps be thankful that his drums like the rest of the instruments were overdubbed. Some of his drumming on other concerts in 1980 certainly wasn't up to much anyway.

Do we know the drums were overdubbed? (a difficult procedure) .... And if so, Dennis is seen playing very clear and very well and very often for that show. Whoever overdubbed him, overdubbed him spot on: mistakes and all.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »

Do we know the drums were overdubbed? (a difficult procedure) .... And if so, Dennis is seen playing very clear and very well and very often for that show. Whoever overdubbed him, overdubbed him spot on: mistakes and all.

Mark Linnet said on here a few years back:
In actual fact very little re-recording was done on Knebworth. About 75% of the songs have one single overdub track of group bg vocals, and there are a few songs that have an xtra guitar or keyboard but that's it. No lead vocals were redone . The few songs that were left off the release were deemed to not be up to the standard of the rest of the concert. And a great concert it is imo.

I'd let people make their own minds up about how much that matches with what we can hear, or with comparisons to the raw tapes...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »

From what i was told by Alan Boyd the drums on Knebworth were not overdubbed, there was some digital triggering to fatten the sound, but that was it. My reference above to overdubs on Knebworth was referring to vocals only.
MBE
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 01:49:47 AM »

Does anyone remember Dennis during Good Vibrations on the uncut July 4th,1980 show. He starts talking about the hostages over and over.  Kind of glad that show didn't go out live, though some very cool cuts were taken out of the HBO special. The Dennis of 1976 was in such a better place which is why I like the 1976 special so much better than the 1980 ones. All the points Jon made about the changes on stage are valid as well.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 05:05:43 AM »

Does anyone remember Dennis during Good Vibrations on the uncut July 4th,1980 show. He starts talking about the hostages over and over.  Kind of glad that show didn't go out live, though some very cool cuts were taken out of the HBO special. The Dennis of 1976 was in such a better place which is why I like the 1976 special so much better than the 1980 ones. All the points Jon made about the changes on stage are valid as well.

Yes, remember it well. Dennis certainly kept everyone on edge Grin Personally I enjoy the rambunctiousness and the powerhouse arrangements of that show, aspects that steadily declined after Dennis passed.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
MBE
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 05:08:53 AM »

Yes, remember it well. Dennis certainly kept everyone on edge Grin Personally I enjoy the rambunctiousness and the powerhouse arrangements of that show, aspects that steadily declined after Dennis passed.
Yeah I do admit that no matter what shape he was in, Dennis added balls to the proceedings.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 07:24:36 AM »

I don't understand the part about the hostages. Maybe it's very obvious and I just don't get it at this moment or maybe it's because I'm not American. Either way, would be happy if you could explain that one to me!

By the way, I think DW looked quite good in the 4th of July footage from 1980, especially if you compare it to his rather unkempt presence at Knebworth. Did he sing "You Are So Beautiful" at Washington as well? Would love to see that.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 07:28:09 AM »

I don't understand the part about the hostages. Maybe it's very obvious and I just don't get it at this moment or maybe it's because I'm not American. Either way, would be happy if you could explain that one to me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_hostage_crisis . Biggest news story of 1980 in the US, and one of the main reasons that Reagan became President (and also for the ongoing antipathy between radical Islam and the US).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »

Thanks, Andrew! Smiley

I think I remember that uncut footage of the group performing Good Vibrations. Seemed to me like they were concerned if Dennis would return back to the drum kit in time...
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »

Did he sing "You Are So Beautiful" at Washington as well? Would love to see that.

It doesn't seem to be the case.

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/7-4-80.html

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2013, 12:02:44 PM »

Haven't seen the uncut version. What does he say? And did the audience respond?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2013, 03:35:52 PM »

Does anyone remember Dennis during Good Vibrations on the uncut July 4th,1980 show. He starts talking about the hostages over and over.  Kind of glad that show didn't go out live, though some very cool cuts were taken out of the HBO special. The Dennis of 1976 was in such a better place which is why I like the 1976 special so much better than the 1980 ones. All the points Jon made about the changes on stage are valid as well.

Haven't seen the uncut version. What does he say? And did the audience respond?

Something along the lines of "How about one for the hostages...c'mon" and "All of our brothers in Iran...c'mon." The audience just continued singing along.

At the point where the band started "doin' some other stuff", they were just left in a holding pattern as Dennis wasn't in much of a hurry to return to the drums.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 01:20:09 AM by metal flake paint » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 01:02:25 PM »

My review of the new US release of this DVD is here: http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MBE
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 08:58:33 AM »

Wanted to make clear I never saw uncut video of 7-4-80, there is just a good audio boot that's been going around for many years.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 09:11:55 AM »

While I agree with your post, I must say that that 1980 Tour was pretty damn good. I attended the Philadelphia tour opening show and to this day it was the most exciting show of the 40 that I have attended through 2012. They had the Spectrum rocking, literally. You could barely hear them on the floor from everyone in the building singing along with them. Technically, not there best show. There was no Dennis, but we did have Brian there. But for me looking back, it was their last hurrah for filling the larger indoor stadiums. Except for 1989 when they toured with Chicago and a solo Brian, they pretty much only played at much smaller venues.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2013, 10:15:30 AM »

This was only previously released in the UK, Region 2 PAL, so this is the first US release.

I have the earlier release as a Brazilian import, Region 1 NTSC.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2013, 12:42:18 PM »

This was only previously released in the UK, Region 2 PAL, so this is the first US release.

I have the earlier release as a Brazilian import, Region 1 NTSC.

Never knew! I often see stuff from Brazil that may or not be legit, sometimes the sort of "grey market" sort of things. Don't recall seeing this on the US Amazon site and the like. In any event, it's bizarre it took so long to get this out as a US release. $9.99 isn't a bad price.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2013, 10:42:53 AM »

It's also downloadable on iTunes now.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2013, 10:00:52 PM »

Just picked this up today at the local Best Buy -- first time I've ever seen it in a store. Decent-enough looking packaging, if slightly tacky.

In answer to the ownership questions posted earlier in this thread: The copyright notice on the back of the case says "Copyright 1976 Broadway Video Entertainment, Inc. and Brother Records, Inc. d/b/a The Beach Boys Productions, exclusively licensed to Eagle Rock Entertainment Ltd." Includes a Broadway video logo. So it's co-owned by the Boys and Lorne Michaels.

Video quality isn't pristine, but it's still decent. Better than I've seen before, at least. Sound is quite good, and the show is nicely put together overall.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:02:41 PM by Wirestone » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx