gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:19:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs Where You Only Like Certain Bits  (Read 9199 times)
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:18:40 PM »

I thought this might make an interesting topic.  To get it started, the eighties classic Wang Chung's "Everybody Have Fun Tonight".  I could take or leave the song but the middle eight with the high falsetto always gets me.  I just love it and I find myself sitting through the rest of the song just to hear the middle eight.

Anyone else feel like contributing?  Even though this is in General Music this would obviously include Beach Boys songs.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
zachrwolfe
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 09:43:29 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:11:31 PM by zatch » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 09:46:40 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:11:27 PM by zatch » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 10:03:26 PM »

Mysterious Ways by U2. I love the chorus and melody, and the cool guitar intro, but I hate the rest.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 11:28:59 PM »

It Would Be So Nice by Pink Floyd has some great harmonies, but the melody of the verse doesn't match the quality of the rest.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 01:24:09 PM »

Love the "Uncle Albert" section of the McCartney song and despise the "Admiral Halsey" part.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 04:35:40 PM »

I like the intro on Brian's 'How Could We Still Be Dancing'. The rest? Bleh.

I never liked the wavering vocal repetition of 'crimson and clover, over and over' toward the end, but everything else in 'Crimson & Clover' is nice.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 03:41:44 AM »

Cool thread.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:11:45 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 07:23:13 PM »

it's all just opinion, but Dr. Robert has an irresistible locked in pocket rocket groove from the get go to the end all.  Plus the "well well wells".

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Amigo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 07:35:43 PM »

Heroes and Villians, I like the first part, but it goes too psychedelic for me otherwise.

Not sure what to put on my signature!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 06:07:51 AM »

Backing tracks to Joanna Newsom songs; they're better that way.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:21:41 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 07:45:55 PM »

Love the "Uncle Albert" section of the McCartney song and despise the "Admiral Halsey" part.
The best bit is happy, light, fun "gypsy get around". Btw, like the song thru & thru.
The Surfaris "Wipe Out" - drum solos
New Zealand Trading Company "Could Be" - percussion-driven intro, middle 8 with cool guitar solo
The Kinks "Dedicated Follower Of Fashion" - the last 23 seconds
Genesis "Where The Sour Turns To Sweet" - "we're waiting for you..." bits.
Fun & Games "Something I Wrote" - verses
Fun & Games "The Way She Smiles" - verses + little guitar riffings before & after chorus
Fun & Games "The Grooviest Girl In The World" - the groovy chorus
Los Gatos Negros (according to Larry the blogger, translates The Black Cats) "Land Of 1000 Dances"/ "La Tierra De Las Mil Danzas" - the lala's.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 03:07:47 AM »

Engelbert Humperdinck's "From Here To Eternity" has a brilliant intro that the rest simply doesn't live up to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-KB1WbEkjk

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 01:58:23 PM »

I like the middle eight on Long Haired Lady by Paul and Linda McCartney, but the rest of it leaves me cold.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 06:02:12 AM »

The brief instrumental breaks just before "You know I love you" in Wet Wet Wet's cover of The Troggs' "Love Is All Around" are its one redeeming feature (to these ears).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 04:37:20 PM »

JK - This song is one of my all-time favorite covers!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 05:39:19 PM »

Hate that Troggs song. Hate it big time.

Now, tell me what horrible thing to say it is. Find sth. bad in it, folks. That's your favorite thing to do.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 05:41:09 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 05:42:23 PM »

Buckethead, hello, btw. :D

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 02:24:39 AM »

JK - This song is one of my all-time favorite covers!

Oops! No offence meant, B.

Actually, I do like Marti Pellow's voice--and WWW's "Angel Eyes" (lovely record):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgid1me8POs

I last saw his name on a poster for a West End musical...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:55:33 AM by JK » Logged

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 03:45:10 PM »

Yikes, JK, no offense taken! The fun of this is that we all get to say what we think.

RRA1 - Hello back! BTW, I am just fine with your hating the song.

Now for my favorite bit of a "meh" song: I always get a rush right at the point when Free Bird makes the shift from ballad to up-tempo guitar solo. Worth listening to the whole song just for that.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 06:13:03 AM »

I think smb. overdoes it. Clearly, there's nothing offensive about trashing song (here: JK) before or after poster (here: Buckethead) expressing great liking for the said song. If you, I, average Joe trashes song smb. else likes, it's alright. To apologize for it like JK does is just silly & pointless. I don't get this aspect of that poster, tbh. In real life, when I see anybody being too nice & polite like that, apologizing for just about everything - which is crazy, face it - it doesn't seem very sincere.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2018, 06:51:07 AM »

I think smb. overdoes it. Clearly, there's nothing offensive about trashing song (here: JK) before or after poster (here: Buckethead) expressing great liking for the said song. If you, I, average Joe trashes song smb. else likes, it's alright. To apologize for it like JK does is just silly & pointless. I don't get this aspect of that poster, tbh. In real life, when I see anybody being too nice & polite like that, apologizing for just about everything - which is crazy, face it - it doesn't seem very sincere.

You and I will never see exactly eye to eye, RR. But as you said elsewhere, we're cool. Smokin

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 01:57:12 AM »

Really hate Shangri-Las' main girl's loud, whiny, shrieky, ugly voice. Last I checked the band's catalog, I didn't like any songs, esp. hilariously bad "Remember Walking In The Sand". But just now hear the single cool bit (rhymes with beat) in "Leader Of The Pack" - when the singer shuts in few seconds, then sings the title.
Syd Barrett's PF/ solo songs - welcome to boredom kingdom but interestingly there's good things amid zzzzz. Who would've thought?

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2018, 12:09:55 PM »

Two Beatles-related songs come instantly to mind...

1) John & Yoko's Born In A Prison: I like the song well enough, it's got a nice feel, but it's Lennon's vocal harmony during the refrain that draws me to the song. I think it's a great performance and it's much welcomed as Lennon didn't sing much harmony during his solo career. One might even consider it a hidden treasure for Lennon fans as most people probably skip over Yoko's songs and aren't aware of it. It reminds me of his harmony in Hey Jude (which is also a highlight for me), though more intricate. There's also live footage of the song that can be found on youtube.

2) The Beatles' That Means A Lot: I've never been a fan of this song. I don't think it's up to their standard. With that said, I always liked that ascending line Paul sings (and the accompanying harmonies) at the end of the second line of each verse. Furthermore, upon revisiting the song, I really like that raucous "Can't You See?!" outro. That would have found a nice home on any Beatles album. I'm noticing now, how they tease that earlier in the song only to return to it at the end. Good stuff.  

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 12:32:06 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 05:34:24 AM »

Queen's "I Want To Break Free".  Undecided

The very end of Brian's guitar solo--wow! Roll Eyes

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx