gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:03:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Fess up - who here likes Sweet Insanity?  (Read 24813 times)
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2013, 06:59:28 AM »

first version of the lp has it in full.....
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:05:06 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2013, 07:04:47 AM »

deleted

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2013, 09:38:28 AM »

Ok thanks!

In order to promote the health and welfare of the members of this board from henceforth I will not post anymore until I have changed my (hideous) avatar. I apologize to anyone who may have suffered migrianes or flashbacks from being exposed to it.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2013, 09:52:47 AM »

Ok thanks!

In order to promote the health and welfare of the members of this board from henceforth I will not post anymore until I have changed my (hideous) avatar. I apologize to anyone who may have suffered migrianes or flashbacks from being exposed to it.

Your avatar must be Melinda's POV when she moves in on Brian for a snog - if they actually still do those sort of things.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2013, 11:11:52 AM »

Ok thanks!

Your avatar must be Melinda's POV when she moves in on Brian for a snog - if they actually still do those sort of things.

And your avators are legends. Filthy, Rich and Catflap was my favourite
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2013, 12:35:15 PM »

why is there that stupid laughter at the beginning of "smart girls"

seriously

did they finish it and landy was like "NEEDS SOME DUMBASS LAUGHTER OVER THE BEGINNING BRYUN" and then someone went "hee hee hee. HEEE HEE HEE HEE HEHEHEHE."

and then this happened: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/20/800088/truck.mp3

Is that you singing?

Well observed likeness between PCH and Baby Blue.

Where is the connection b'ween those two songs and Smart Girls?  You're a wacky fellow RDZ. Pirate

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2013, 03:57:16 PM »

Water Builds Up  rules. It is easily one of my favorite songs by Brian. I can relate in so many ways. The song describes losing your cool but in a funny and creative sorta way...
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2014, 08:23:08 AM »

Just listened to the 2.0 version for the first time in a while and had a much better time than I remember having! It's kinda the Adult/Child to BW88's Love You - even more flawed than it's predecessor, but just as enjoyable. Almost unrestrainedly cheesy, but I could care less... Brian sounds like he's having a lot of fun. I agree that it probably gets a bad rep because of that horrid final track, but anyone can swap it for one of the outtakes; get rid of "Hotter" and replace "Smart Girls" with "Being With The One You Love" and "He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body To Move" and you've got a worthy follow-up to BW88, I think.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2014, 08:33:10 AM »

Man until 1990 or so you could get some great stuff sealed in the cut out bin. Love You was in there even in the late eighties as was the Celebration and Looking Back With Love LP's. You would see the Goin Public LP a lot. I remember I got at Target for 99 cents in 1989. It to this day is the only album I sold because I thought it was terrible. I never have gotten a new one, and for an obsessive vinyl collector like me that says a lot.

I found so much stuff on the dollar wall at Nuggets in Kenmore Square in Boston.  Ah, memories of hours upon hours of browsing.  Pure heaven.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2014, 09:30:03 AM »

Just listened to the 2.0 version for the first time in a while and had a much better time than I remember having! It's kinda the Adult/Child to BW88's Love You - even more flawed than it's predecessor, but just as enjoyable. Almost unrestrainedly cheesy, but I could care less... Brian sounds like he's having a lot of fun. I agree that it probably gets a bad rep because of that horrid final track, but anyone can swap it for one of the outtakes; get rid of "Hotter" and replace "Smart Girls" with "Being With The One You Love" and "He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body To Move" and you've got a worthy follow-up to BW88, I think.

Take away the horrid Thank You Brian which is just plain offensive and Smart Girls which is worse that 10x Summer of Loves and Wipeouts combined and what you are left with is really no better or worse than your typical BW solo album.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2014, 10:15:55 AM »

"Hotter" is such a kick ass fun 80s song that I can't believe I didn't hear it in the opening credits of How I Got Into College or One Crazy Summer.  It's got all the hallmarks of a perfect 80s teen comedy/sex romp theme song.  And that chorus is KILLER.  I really think it could've been a hit!

Also really love Water Builds Up.  Its the poppiest of pop. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2014, 11:39:21 AM »

Take away the horrid Thank You Brian which is just plain offensive and Smart Girls which is worse that 10x Summer of Loves and Wipeouts combined and what you are left with is really no better or worse than your typical BW solo album.

I think "Thank You" has pretty awesome music/melodies. Admittedly the lyrics are crappy (and unnecessarily defamatory), but I think Brian was making a sincere effort with this one... and I really like it, even if it is a guilty pleasure.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2014, 12:09:13 PM »

Thank You's lyrics are utterly foul and it's a shame to have to listen to Brian sing them... but dang, those "ahoooos". Which, as someone's pointed out, makes it an uncomfortable track to have the urge to sing, as I'll probably have for the next week or so.  Angry

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2014, 12:14:37 PM »

I think "Thank You" has pretty awesome music/melodies. Admittedly the lyrics are crappy (and unnecessarily defamatory), but I think Brian was making a sincere effort with this one... and I really like it, even if it is a guilty pleasure.
Yes, the lyrics are horrible, but it does have a nice tune, one that sticks in my head.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2014, 12:55:05 PM »

Yes, the lyrics are horrible, but it does have a nice tune, one that sticks in my head.

In terms of a really solid BW tune with cool + catchy melodies and harmonies, marred by lyrics that on the level of cringeworthy as the track is great, the only other example quite as extreme as "Thank You" which I can think of is "Matchpoint of Our Love".  Of course their subject matter is extremely different, and the suckiness is apples and oranges on both of them.

I can still find it in me to like both songs.

(Compare to something else with cringeworthy lyrics like "Hey Little Tomboy" - IMO a pretty good tune musically, but nothing special).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:59:03 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2014, 03:30:03 PM »

Someone To Love is is so good, I can feel it in my winky
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2014, 03:43:22 PM »

it's funny because I heard the world premiere of "Smart Girls" on the Dr.Demento show back in the day and didn't think too much about it because it fit that format..
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2014, 10:22:40 AM »

Well, i like "Make A Wish", that's for sure. Oh god----that song.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2014, 10:28:50 PM »

I'd actually love to hear "Make A Wish" with an arrangement a bit more like "I Just Can't Wait To Be King" off the Disney album...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2014, 03:27:54 AM »

"Hotter" is such a kick ass fun 80s song that I can't believe I didn't hear it in the opening credits of How I Got Into College or One Crazy Summer.  It's got all the hallmarks of a perfect 80s teen comedy/sex romp theme song.  And that chorus is KILLER.  I really think it could've been a hit!

Gee, you think so? To me, that's the one song I really can't stand on the album*, and chiefly because of that chorus... "You're making me HOT-ter, you're making me HOT-ter"... It's so mind-numbingly repetitive, and not the good kind of "Ding Dang" repetitive either. I'm sure one day I might wake up singing it and then come around, but for now "Hotter" is a clunker for me.

I hear what you're saying about it being perfect for a teen comedy/ sex romp though. Actually I think "Don't Let Her Know She's an Angel" would have been ideal closing credits music for one of those flicks-- Brian operating in full Diane Warren commercial mode, and yet his tune works brilliantly whereas Diane Warren makes me want to reach for the nearest pistol to shoot at the TV whenever I hear one of her songs come on.

Going through the S.I. songs quickly, I'd say my favorites and the only ones I love unabashedly are "Don't Let Her Know", "Rainbow Eyes" and "Make a Wish". I suffered through enough crappy 1990s production during that decade to where I've become largely immune to it, so it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of these tracks all that much.

"Brian", the song, is probably one of his top post-Beach Boy melodies. It's a damn shame about those lyrics; I guess they are an accurate reflection of where Brian was at the time, but still pretty hard to stomach even today. Yet that melody, wow.

"Water Builds Up" and "Country Feelin'" certainly aren't for the uninitiated, but they appeal to me greatly. I'd take a whole album of Brian singing about things like kitchen emergencies and playing with chickens down on the farm over the forced Buffet-isms of Imagination or the "Mozart of the Modern Era" thing he's been rolling with ever since then. That's largely because I believe that the goofy songs are guileless and seem to reflect the "true" Brian every bit as much as something like "Surf's Up"... I think it's disingenuous if his modern day production team put the kibosh on letting him express this side of his creativity, because it's all part of what makes Brian such a wonderful talent.

"Love Ya" I can take or leave. I still want to sing "Sweetie" every time it comes on, and the newer lyrics just don't seem to work for me. "Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll", I'd agree with whomever said it was better at the '86 Aloha Beach Boys show, which was basically just Brian miming to a studio recording anyway. I think it's better produced, and I don't know whose idea it was to bring Dylan in to sing his three lines (Landy) but that has to be one of the worst production decisions of all time, and Bob's made some doozies throughout the years.

"Concert Tonight"-- I'm not a big fan of the whole track, but as an intro I kind of like it. Again, very catchy. "Someone to Love" is just more of that comfy early 90s closing credit vibe. Might have worked for Twins, Kindergarten Cop, Throw Mama from the Train, Arachnophobia...

Overall despite its myriad of deficits and setbacks, I'll take Sweet Insanity over just about any other Brian solo album (outside of the similarly bonkers Paley Sessions)-- probably for the same reasons I generally choose to listen to 15 Big Ones or Love You over Holland or Carl and the Passions. It's Brian at his most honest and uninhibited, and despite the circumstances it was recorded under it still manages to exude a sense of well-being and oftentimes pure joy, early nineties production be damned!

* - Except "Smart Girls". But I like to try to trick myself into believing that that track doesn't really exist by leaving it off of the album.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:30:18 AM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2014, 06:58:39 AM »

I like that analogy!

I love the album on the whole but could do without Smart Girls and Thank You.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2014, 10:22:54 AM »

No one's mentioned 'I Do" aka "Do You Have Any Regrets"? That's one of my favorites. You guys make me wanna put that cd on again.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2014, 11:15:28 AM »

I had a listen to the second version last night.  I quite enjoy it, was weird when I first heard the albm in 1992, and from the first version I like the bass on the verses of Water Builds Up.  Some really great moments, including some of tzhe vocals, and other 'fun' moments.  I was also listening to the hotel room tape from 1990 with Brian, Jeff, Bruce, Stamos and others and Brian sings some original, alternate lyrics to "Brian" and "Someone to Love".  Interesting listen!
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2014, 02:29:45 PM »

yes my sweet insanity CD has gotten a lot of spins in my car of late and i've come to the conclusion THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN RELEASED.  darker forces were afoot back then.  bob dylan sounds cartoonish though
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2014, 10:49:17 PM »

yes my sweet insanity CD has gotten a lot of spins in my car of late and i've come to the conclusion THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN RELEASED.  darker forces were afoot back then.  bob dylan sounds cartoonish though
I do wonder what the response - critical and otherwise - would have been if SI had been released back in '91. I think my initial reaction would have been disappointment that he didn't create another suite like Rio Grande. I don't think the production would have bothered me back then, though, everything coming out at the time was overproduced, if it wasn't grunge, or roots rock.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx