gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680797 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 07:33:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: George Jones just died!!!  (Read 10746 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 01:57:49 PM »

This could be interesting:

http://www.theboot.com/2013/06/18/george-jones-biopic-feature-film/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 11:58:50 AM »

Here's the grand ol' Opry show from the night George died.

www.wsmonline.com/files/8013/6724/9548/WSM_Friday_Night_Opry_4.26.13.mp3

and here's the show from the next night. 

www.wsmonline.com/files/4213/6725/7941/Grand_Ole_Opry_4.27.13.mp3

The more famous stars usually come on late in the show if you decide to listen to any of it.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 02:26:37 PM »

Thanks Ron!

I'm almost through reading Jones' autobiography. Here's something that might be interesting.

"I was cold sober, but not too crazy about doing an outdoor show in the early 1980s at the Washington Monument in the nations' capital, where I was supposed to be part of a Fourth of July program with the Beach Boys and other acts. Approximately seventy-five thousand people were there. I was supposed to be paid fifty thousand dollars for only thirty minutes.
But I should have never been booked on that show. It was a Beach Boys crowd, a rock'n'roll crowd. My restlessness mounted all day. I was sure that the young people who had come to see the Beach Boys would make fun of me. By the time it was my turn to go on, I was a nervous wreck.
I would have gone on nonetheless if the Beach Boys hadn't run twenty minutes over schedule. By that time the crowd was frantic with excitement, and I didn't think a hillbilly singer could follow one of the greatest rock bands of all time. And twenty minutes is an eternity when you're dreading something."

I liked that part because earlier he had written that he listened to nothing but country music and was totally out of touch. He knew the Beatles and listened to the Rolling Stones sometimes but only for hearing Richards' guitar playing. When he was introduced to Neil Young backstage he didn't know who Young was which caused the latter to leave in anger. When James Talyor wrote "Bartender's blues" for George he also didn't know who that was. So I was pleasantly surprised at the nice words on the Boys. Just made me wondering more what would've been if he was asked to sing "God only knows" on Stars&Stripes.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 06:05:39 PM »

Interestingly enough George played on a bill with the Stones for 3 days at the Texas Fair in San Antonio in JUne 64 on the Stones first tour (they didn't have a hit in the states and played to mostly small crowds)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 06:43:46 AM »

Interestingly enough George played on a bill with the Stones for 3 days at the Texas Fair in San Antonio in JUne 64 on the Stones first tour (they didn't have a hit in the states and played to mostly small crowds)

Yep, he mentioned that in the book as well. The Stones had to loan the amps from George and his band

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »

PLAYIN' POSSUM! THE FINAL NO SHOW RELEASES FULL PERFORMER LIST (WITH A FEW SURPRISES!!)
10/30/13

Recognized worldwide as the “greatest living country singer,” George Jones represented everything about Country Music and was loved by fellow artists, musicians, producers, publishers, songwriters, video directors and industry executives. On November 22nd, Nashville and beyond will honor the music legend with an all-star tribute, the date that George was to perform the final show of his illustrious career.

“I am so excited how this show has evolved and I will be forever grateful to the artists that are coming to honor George,” says Nancy Jones. “The evening might be long, but I don’t think people will be upset as they will witness the best musical tribute Nashville has ever seen with so many artists performing George Jones songs.”

Playin’ Possum! The Final NO SHOW talent list: (in alphabetical order based on first name, not order of performance)
Alabama, Alan Jackson, Baillie & the Boys, Big & Rich, Bill Anderson, Blake Shelton, Bobby Bare, Brad Paisley, Brenda Lee, Chad Warrix (Halfway to Hazzard), Charlie Daniels, Collin Raye, Craig Morgan, Dailey & Vincent, Daryle Singletary, Dierks Bentley, Eddy Raven, Emmylou Harris, Eric Church, Eric Lee Beddingfield, Gary Morris, George Strait, Greg Bates, Gretchen Wilson, Jamey Johnson, Janie Fricke, Jeanne Pruett, Jeannie Seely, Jessi Colter, Jett Williams, Jim Ed Brown, Jim Lauderdale, Jimmy C. Newman, Jimmy Wayne, John Conlee, John Michael Montgomery, Josh Turner, Kathy Mattea, Kentucky Headhunters, Kid Rock, Larry Gatlin, Lee Ann Womack, Lee Greenwood, Leona Williams, Lisa Matassa, Little Jimmy Dickens, Lorrie Morgan, Lynn Anderson, Mandy Barnett, Mark Collie, Martina McBride, Megadeth, Miranda Lambert, Montgomery Gentry, The Oak Ridge Boys, Pam Tillis, Patty Loveless, Ray Stevens, Reba McEntire, Rodney Atkins, Ronnie McDowell, The Roys, Sam Moore, Shooter Jennings, Stonewall Jackson, Suzy Bogguss, T. Graham Brown, Tanya Tucker, Teea Goans, TG Sheppard, Thompson Square, Tracy Lawrence, Travis Tritt, and Vince Gill … plus some surprise guests!!!!

Although the show is SOLD OUT, a special VIP package which includes a show ticket, a VIP pre-show reception with Nancy Jones, and other special items are available on a limited basis. These packages are only available at http://cwired.co/GJ13VIP22

Playin’ Possum! The Final NO SHOW is being produced by Mike Smardak of Outback Concerts, with Suzzane Skinner serving as Talent Producer, Kirt Webster serving as Show Producer, Bobby Birkhead serving as Music Director, Sherry Hohimer handling VIP ticketing, fan club, and serving as assistant to Nancy Jones, and Getty Images will serve as exclusive photojournalists for the evening.

Source: http://www.georgejones.com/news.php/2013/10/30/playin-possum-the-final-no-show-releases

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2013, 07:45:55 AM »

George Jones celebrated at Nashville tribute concert

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2013/11/22/stars-remember-george-jones-at-nashville-tribute-concert/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2016, 02:02:44 AM »

Found this article by Nick Tosches from '94 online:

The Devil in George Jones
The survivor of a long and torturous journey, George Jones stands alone as the greatest country singer alive. - See more at: http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/the-devil-in-george-jones/#sthash.agOKYG1H.dpuf

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/the-devil-in-george-jones/

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx