gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:05:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tell us about your Beach Boys collection  (Read 106368 times)
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: April 30, 2016, 10:45:40 PM »

Too lazy to take and upload a picture right now, but my favorite piece in my collection is an original mono 1967 Smiley Smile LP with the shrink wrap still (mostly) attached to it, aside from of course the opening. The original price tag lists the LP at a price of just $3.67!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 30, 2016, 11:58:29 PM »

Here's something that recently came into my sweaty hands.

It's a 45 of DIA backed with WIBN - the back cover photo (shown) is of an island resort on the (formerly) Great Barrier Reef, Hamilton Island - some of you high flyers may have basked there - so this edition seems to be some kind of promo tie in with said resort and, as per the notation on the bottom right hand corner, The Capitol Years 6 LP, cassette and CD box sets.

(Sorry about the orientation).

This one is cranked out by EMI Australia, I don't know in what quantity or of other cover variants.

Did any similar campaigns (ropey link to a beach resort) happen in other countries (especially Britain)?

Nice to have recent ('80s) 45 pressings of both tunes  - A
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:08:15 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 01, 2016, 12:03:44 AM »

new addition to my 45 collection http://www.45cat.com/record/f4932it

Dogear, your Beach Boys and related 45 collection is ENVIABLE.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 01, 2016, 02:29:42 AM »

Here's something that recently came into my sweaty hands.

It's a 45 of DIA backed with WIBN - the back cover photo (shown) is of an island resort on the (formerly) Great Barrier Reef, Hamilton Island - some of you high flyers may have basked there - so this edition seems to be some kind of promo tie in with said resort and, as per the notation on the bottom right hand corner, The Capitol Years 6 LP, cassette and CD box sets.

(Sorry about the orientation).

This one is cranked out by EMI Australia, I don't know in what quantity or of other cover variants.

Did any similar campaigns (ropey link to a beach resort) happen in other countries (especially Britain)?

Nice to have recent ('80s) 45 pressings of both tunes  - A

Ah yes, I remember the ad campaign well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Jo2s1rp0E

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 01, 2016, 02:39:46 AM »

MFP!  Thumbs Up

Don't recall that campaign getting an airing in QLD - must have been aimed at ye Southerners! GOLD!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 21, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »

Jaguar signed by Brian & Al (November 2015) and Mike & Bruce (May 2016); Stratocaster signed by Al via mail (sent the pickguard only)

Drumhead signed by Al, Bruce, Mike and Carl (purchased from James House's drummer) and Mike Kowalski concert used drumsticks
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 25, 2016, 07:55:41 AM »

The Monkey's Uncle - Walt Disney production lobby card (11x14)

I'm a big Sherman Brothers fan and love the Beach Boys tie-in.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 08, 2016, 06:00:48 PM »

I have just received two very snazzy Beach Boys posters thanks to bgas. Much thanks!

(can't find uploaded versions online, so perhaps whenever I find a home for them, I can show what they look like.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 06:01:36 PM by undercover-m » Logged

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 09, 2016, 04:28:50 AM »

I have just received two very snazzy Beach Boys posters thanks to bgas. Much thanks!

(can't find uploaded versions online, so perhaps whenever I find a home for them, I can show what they look like.)

Please do! When all's said and done, BB fans are good at looking out for one another. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 09, 2016, 05:32:21 AM »

I don't own anything special, but there's a certain tidiness to my collection:
- Original US releases of all 1960s Capitol albums in at least VG+ condition (except 20/20, which is elusive).
- All green label late 1970s Capitol reissues on vinyl;
- The Reprise/Caribou albums on vinyl;
- All the Capitol 2-fer CDs plus Pet Sounds;
- The Sunflower/Surf's Up CD;
- Good Vibrations, Pet Sounds, Smile Sessions and Capitol Years boxed sets.
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 10, 2016, 12:08:24 AM »

I just added this to my collection (not my images though):

It's a 1993-released promo copy cassette of the failed 1977 Christmas album (as you can tell).

Track Listing:
Christmastime is Here Again
Child of Winter
Wnter Symphony
Michael Row Your Boat Ashore
Seasons in the Sun
Christmas Morning (Morning Christmas)
--
Alone on Christmas Day
Go and Get That Girl
Santa's on His Way (HELP)
Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (Beach Boys Kids)
Christmas Medley
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 10, 2016, 12:24:53 AM »

My collection:

- Every 2000 Reissue Twofers (Except in Concert, Party, MIU and KTSA)
- Smile Sessions on CD
- Pet Sounds 2016 Reissue on Vinyl
- Love You reissue on Vinyl
- 20 Golden Greats on Vinyl

I only started collecting seriously early this year
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 10, 2016, 05:53:08 AM »

Candix, X- All variations
All Capitol, Reprise, Caribou 45's except "Surf's Up", all Capitol and most Reprise promo copies (Don't have the "Salt Lake City" promo release)
All US original 45 picture sleeves, including the "Heroes and Villains" Capital sleeve.
All US LP's, all labels.  Many sleeve variations (Surfin' Safari, All Summer Long, Surfer Girl) mono and stereo, many promo copies (all white label Reprise versions),
Most BW and CW production 45's  and LP's (Don't have the Honeys picture sleeve or the "Barbie" 45)
Many foreign releases (mostly UK)
All official solo releases, vinyl where available, 45's and LP's (except "Sound of Free" 45)
All officially released CD's and box sets (Not the Singles collection or the early Japanese "Pet Sounds", though)
All the relevant vinyl and cd "unreleased" issues.
All the Analogue Productions recent sacd and vinyl issues (except the vinyl digital stereo remix presses)
A few paper promo items
Darian's "X" label 45
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 12, 2016, 04:33:14 PM »

made in U.S.A vinyl
Little deuce coupe CD
Smile sessions CD(vinyls next)
Good timin': Live at knebworth(To me the last great beach boys concert with the original 5 plus bruce) CD
Pet sounds CD

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 13, 2016, 02:14:34 AM »

Added Summer Days and Nights vinyl first pressing
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 13, 2016, 03:07:37 AM »

I'll update my old list, now that there's a new generation of posters and my collection can hold its own better, lol: 

I have all the official albums (except the live double), the 30 Years and PSS box sets and the one-CD edition of TSS----plus a modest consignment of unofficial stuff. Solo things? The two Carl albums, POB, BWPS and NPP. A few LPs: original mono pressings (more or less permanently on loan from my brother) of Surfin' Safari, Surfer Girl and All Summer Long plus Surf's Up! (had to have that full-size cover!) and LA.

All these were acquired since 2002 (Brian's Palace performance, to be precise). After a white-hot period of adulation, Beach Boys Burnout set in (a familiar story, I'm told) but now they are back as my joint favourite pop artists (with other long-time favourites Captain Beefheart and Gary Numan and more recent discovery U2).  

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 13, 2016, 06:56:42 AM »

Sold most of mine due to financial problems.... Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 13, 2016, 07:50:07 AM »

I did the same thing with my Elvis collection. Sold most of my EP's for food money back in the early 70's. Can't imagine what they're worth now. Oh well, ya gotta eat.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 13, 2016, 10:30:29 AM »

I did the same thing with my Elvis collection. Sold most of my EP's for food money back in the early 70's. Can't imagine what they're worth now. Oh well, ya gotta eat.

I know how you feel, OSD. This is copied from my other board (in a revised form):

I must be the only person anywhere who has actually trodden on Pet Sounds while it was playing!  The record player was standing on the floor at the time.  This unfortunate occurrence paved the way for the dreaded "Cat Food Incident". 

It was late 1972 and I was supposed to be looking after this bloke's house in London, watering his three expensive plants (ten quid each----in 1972!), feeding his cats and other stuff.

Time went by... A friend of mine wrecked the state-of-the-art stereo system (hence the makeshift solution on the floor), the plants started turning a glorious golden brown and the cats were getting scrawnier and more discontented by the day. Not having any money to buy cat food (I was unemployed at the time) and spurred on by the enormous scratch on side one of Pet Sounds, I bundled all my pop LPs (Beefhearts, Zappas, Velvets plus a host of wonderful and now more or less unobtainable mono stuff) into a box and sold the lot (40 albums!) at a local market stall for a measly 14 quid!

myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 12, 2019, 05:45:23 PM »

Holy old threads Batman! I thought about creating a new thread for this very topic, but why do so when there is a perfectly good thread already with lots of cool content in it. Here are photos of my collection. It's not the biggest out there, but I have a few things that I'm sure people here will likely appreciate.

Vinyl collection. I have all the studio albums on vinyl except for Summer In Paradise. Please forgive the layout, my apartment isn't well suited to taking photos in this fashion:

Miscellaneous vinyl compilations:

All of the box sets, except for The US Singles Collection (which I don't own) and my Light-Up SMiLE Sessions box set (pictured separately below):

Photos of my Light-Up Edition SMiLE Sessions Boxed Set, now with Al's autograph alongside Brian's:

The Light-Up box set is now housed safely in this new 14"x14"x4" acrylic display case I purchased for it:

CD, DVD audio, and 45 singles collection. I'm not hugely into collecting CDs or 45s, but this is what I have:

Book collection:

DVD collection:

Clothing. The short-sleeved Pet Sounds and SMiLE Uniqlo t-shirts, the Brian Wilson Pet Sounds 50th hoodie, and the Brian Wilson hat are official. The rest are fan made:

Digital collection. Yeah yeah, there are a few bootlegs in there. If the band officially released/es something, I ALWAYS purchase it legally, as should everyone:

Miscellaneous memorabilia, concert tickets, and other stuff.

Beach Boys refrigerator magnets and cell phone cases. I had no idea they made either of these until recently:

Posters! I have quite a number of posters both at home and hanging in my office. When people enter my office, they see these posters lined across the walls:

At home I have these posters:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 04:39:15 PM by myonlysunshine » Logged
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 15, 2019, 01:39:10 PM »

Wow! What a great collection. I'm envious. I especially love that Smile T-shirt. I was looking at a fan-made version, but I was skeptical of the quality.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 16, 2019, 08:37:38 PM »

Good Lord!  Those posters!  Are they all “official” or did you have some of them made?  And those shirts - the hoodies with the album covers on them...those are amazing.  Did you buy them from someone who makes them or did you do them yourself? 
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 17, 2019, 07:35:33 AM »

Wow! What a great collection. I'm envious. I especially love that Smile T-shirt. I was looking at a fan-made version, but I was skeptical of the quality.

Thanks! Yeah, fan made stuff is very hit and miss. It’s a risk, but sometimes you can find really great stuff out there. I’d say the white “Smile The Beach Boys” logo hoodie is probably the most disappointing fan made item I’ve purchased. It is very thin material, not very warm, and the quality just isn’t there.

Good Lord!  Those posters!  Are they all “official” or did you have some of them made?  And those shirts - the hoodies with the album covers on them...those are amazing.  Did you buy them from someone who makes them or did you do them yourself?  

The Brian Wilson Pet Sounds posters are official, as are the Smile posters (they are the posters that came with the 5 CD box set and 2 CD set, respectively). The rest are fan made; I acquired most of them from a classic rock fan group on social media who made and sold them for a limited time only. I also acquired the hoodies and long-sleeved t-shirts with the Pet Sounds and SMiLE album covers printed on them from them. The only exceptions are the Friends and Wild Honey advertisement reproduction posters, which I got from eBay. They are still available on there I believe.

The Friends, Wild Honey, Love You, Keepin’ the Summer Alive, and Surf’s Up hoodies were made as part of a special Beach Boys-related clothing set and were available for purchase for a short time last year by a company known as 3droyaltees. I’m guessing they ran into legal problems because their website was taken down a short time later, but there are still some of the hoodies they made floating around on the internet. There were two I didn’t manage to get – an Endless Summer hoodie, and a Smiley Smile hoodie. Here is a photo of the Smiley Smile hoodie: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beach-Boys-Smiley-Smile-3XL-2XL-LP-Cover-Hoodie-Sweatshirt-New-L-K-/183548374003?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2F
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 11:48:36 AM by myonlysunshine » Logged
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 17, 2019, 09:47:29 AM »

I would like to sell mine!
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 11, 2019, 06:26:35 PM »

Just added this little guy to my collection:

I also acquired a copy of the 2012 50th Anniversary ZinePak and a Songs from Here & Back CD.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx