gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:25:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tell us about your Beach Boys collection  (Read 106384 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 07:52:24 PM »

It's great hearing about, and seeing!, all of your collections, I am green with envy; I've got the all the vinyl (except Friends which remains elusive although I have the crappy Oz record club copy; and SIP I don't got) and the usual cds, boxes, books blah blah, although I can't confess to having anything more than pedestrian.

Sure, ebay/collector sites provide easier access to the good stuff, but my preferred sources are similar to Shelter (local stores, record fairs). I personally enjoy the wow moment when uncovering a gem, and thought the story above about the SS find was just fantastic  Rock!.  I try to keep it cool in relation to how much to pay (being a tight wad), which has led me to unwisely pass on a thing or 2 that should be gathering dust on my shelves.

A few personal favs (only for sentimental reasons) from my are:

- POB, Original AU vinyl - I searched for any copy of this baby in every freakin' pile of records I encountered on the East Coast of Oz from '85 to '02 when I finally nailed one (then wept like a girl) at a Brisbane record fair

- SS/SUSA vinyl twofer - first BB vinyl I saved up for and bought in '82 in a big-smoke department store

- The Alternative Beach Boys Party! Album (UM vol 10) CD box set - no biggie, but cool to have a little piece of the UM pie; I hope to stumble across a few more

- The Beach Boys Complete chord book - the reprint of Tom Nolan's Rolling Stone article that for me was a key encouragement to get into post Smiley Smile and beyond and a reminder of when my fanaticism began.

- The AGD book - it's starting to fall apart from overuse, and the $ practicalities of replacing may already be beyond my means, so I better get the white gloves and tweezers out  

Humble gear, but then again it means I don't need a doberman to guard my compound - instead I have a guinea pig called Rhubarb who will have your finger off before you can say mummy.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 09:05:29 PM »

on the subject of BB collections...who's got a complete run of their US picture sleeve 45s

Seeing something like that might inspire me to dig in

I mean- how could any Dennis fan resist this?

So does Bgas.

As does The Beach Boys on 45, virtually speaking  Wink

http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-Capitol-PS62-65.htm
http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-Capitol-PS65-68.htm

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »

It's great hearing about, and seeing!, all of your collections, I am green with envy; I've got the all the vinyl (except Friends which remains elusive although I have the crappy Oz record club copy; and SIP I don't got) and the usual cds, boxes, books blah blah, although I can't confess to having anything more than pedestrian.

Sure, ebay/collector sites provide easier access to the good stuff, but my preferred sources are similar to Shelter (local stores, record fairs). I personally enjoy the wow moment when uncovering a gem, and thought the story above about the SS find was just fantastic  Rock!.  I try to keep it cool in relation to how much to pay (being a tight wad), which has led me to unwisely pass on a thing or 2 that should be gathering dust on my shelves.

A few personal favs (only for sentimental reasons) from my are:

- POB, Original AU vinyl - I searched for any copy of this baby in every freakin' pile of records I encountered on the East Coast of Oz from '85 to '02 when I finally nailed one (then wept like a girl) at a Brisbane record fair

- SS/SUSA vinyl twofer - first BB vinyl I saved up for and bought in '82 in a big-smoke department store

- The Alternative Beach Boys Party! Album (UM vol 10) CD box set - no biggie, but cool to have a little piece of the UM pie; I hope to stumble across a few more

- The Beach Boys Complete chord book - the reprint of Tom Nolan's Rolling Stone article that for me was a key encouragement to get into post Smiley Smile and beyond and a reminder of when my fanaticism began.

- The AGD book - it's starting to fall apart from overuse, and the $ practicalities of replacing may already be beyond my means, so I better get the white gloves and tweezers out  

Humble gear, but then again it means I don't need a doberman to guard my compound - instead I have a guinea pig called Rhubarb who will have your finger off before you can say mummy.

Ah yes, the good old Oz Record Club edition of Friends. Available in three four different colour variations!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:18:07 AM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 03:13:24 AM »

Man, that site's something else

"Well the east coast sleeve's a tough pull, but the West is plentiful" etc

Bgas, Mikie- I'm guessing a few of the early ones are $$$, right? I saw GV pic sl for $10 when I was in Austin last month...should have bought it really, but I was too busy scooping up $2 nuggets 45s
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 04:01:47 AM »

I bought the "California Girls" 45 when it came out in 1965 (still my favourite); then purchased all the albums that had been released at the time and did so ever since.
I've got all the albums as first pressings (vinyl, German) and as two-fers on CD, plus about 60 bootlegs (Vinyl and CD) plus the complete unsurpassed masters series
In the late seventies I started collecting BB 7"/EPs seriously (only original issues with Picture Sleeves) and I've got now about 550 from all over the world, but still far from complete.
I'm also collecting stuff by Gary Usher, Curt Boettcher, Terry Melcher, P.F.Sloan, Gary Zekley and Van Dyke Parks (solo records and productions), most of which have only been released on 7" - those are nearly complete now with maybe just a dozen or so still missing.

Watson, did you hear this?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2013, 07:14:31 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:19:38 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2013, 09:43:03 AM »

Bgas, Mikie- I'm guessing a few of the early ones are $$$, right? I saw GV pic sl for $10 when I was in Austin last month...should have bought it really, but I was too busy scooping up $2 nuggets 45s

Arguably, the rarest (hardest to find and expensive) U.S. regular issued Beach Boys single picture sleeves are:

Ten Little Indians/County Fair - Capitol 4880
Heroes & Villains/You’re Welcome - Capitol 5826/1001
Heroes & Villains/You’re Welcome – Brother 1001
Dance, Dance, Dance/Warmth Of The Sun - Capitol 5306
Barbara Ann/Girl Don’t Tell Me – Capitol 5561

Not sure if it’s still in print, but search down “This Whole World: The Complete Beach Boys Single And EP Cover Collection” by Manfred Schmidt & Christian Haschke.

P.S. Good Vibrations sleeve for 10 bucks was a good deal, especially if it was VG+ to M condition.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2013, 11:31:54 AM »

on the subject of BB collections...who's got a complete run of their US picture sleeve 45s

Seeing something like that might inspire me to dig in

I mean- how could any Dennis fan resist this?

So does Bgas.

As does The Beach Boys on 45, virtually speaking  Wink

http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-Capitol-PS62-65.htm
http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-Capitol-PS65-68.htm

Before I co-started this website, I thought I had all US sleeves... Then I found out there were west AND east coast sleeves...  Ahhh!
Fortunately this website has many contributors that make it possible to show them all.  Smiley

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »

SH, what would you say would be the hardest sleeves to obtain outside of the U.S. copies? Because, as you know, there weren't sleeves made for some of the released U.S. singles. Would Ten Little Indians sleeve still be the rarest or as far as Europe/Australia/Japan is there another one that's harder to get?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2013, 03:51:59 PM »

Not sure if it’s still in print, but search down “This Whole World: The Complete Beach Boys Single And EP Cover Collection” by Manfred Schmidt & Christian Haschke.

Agreed, that book is a great resource and makes for a nice companion piece to "The Beach Boys on 45" which shows just how much more exists, especially in terms of variations  Shocked

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2013, 04:07:31 PM »

Metal Flake, maybe you could give insight to my question to Smile-Holland above concerning the rarest import (European) sleeve and single out there.

Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »

I just saw the 10 Little Indians 45 pic sleeve at my local record store.  It was behind the counter on display, so they clearly know what they have is rare, but what is a fair price for it?  Looks in great shape.  Not sure about the records condition though.  I don't have many BB 45 and I am just curious...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2013, 05:37:36 PM »

Metal Flake, maybe you could give insight to my question to Smile-Holland above concerning the rarest import (European) sleeve and single out there.

Hands down, rarest sleeve is the French Sound Of Free

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2013, 05:41:01 PM »

I just saw the 10 Little Indians 45 pic sleeve at my local record store.  It was behind the counter on display, so they clearly know what they have is rare, but what is a fair price for it?  Looks in great shape.  Not sure about the records condition though.  I don't have many BB 45 and I am just curious...

Rich, take a look at some of these completed ebay listings to give you an idea:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=ten%20little%20indians%20beach%20boys&rt=nc&_pppn=r1&LH_Complete=1

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »

Mikie, there are far more knowledgeable people here than myself who could answer your question, being a relative novice collector myself.

Personally, one of the most difficult to obtain, albeit with a generic Stateside sleeve, was a New Zealand copy of "Sound of Free"/"Lady".

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2013, 07:53:21 PM »

Yeah, but that's a Dennis Wilson (and Daryl Dragon) solo record, not really a Beach Boys record.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2013, 08:06:47 PM »

Rich, take a look at some of these completed ebay listings to give you an idea:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=ten%20little%20indians%20beach%20boys&rt=nc&_pppn=r1&LH_Complete=1

And the other two that sold recently on Ebay. One with the record for 102 bucks and somebody STOLE another one for 26 bucks!

Rich, it all depends on the condition of course. How much does the guy want for it?

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2013, 09:57:58 PM »

Yeah, but that's a Dennis Wilson (and Daryl Dragon) solo record, not really a Beach Boys record.

Did I mention being a relative novice  Grin

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2013, 10:29:31 PM »

I currently have Mike Love in my collection. I'd give you pictures and stuff, but I think the police are starting to catch on.

A discipline daddy.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2013, 04:52:48 AM »

No toenail clippings from Brian, none of Carl's sweaty underpants, and Mike's 12 inch turd is nowhere to be seen. See, as fans go, we're not that wierd........
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2013, 05:04:48 AM »

Back to the topic, quite a lot of info about their 45s (worldwide) can be found here http://www.45cat.com/artist/the-beach-boys
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:06:34 AM by dogear » Logged

Watson, did you hear this?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2013, 10:07:46 AM »

SH, what would you say would be the hardest sleeves to obtain outside of the U.S. copies? Because, as you know, there weren't sleeves made for some of the released U.S. singles. Would Ten Little Indians sleeve still be the rarest or as far as Europe/Australia/Japan is there another one that's harder to get?

Ten Little Indians: It depends on which country. It wasn't released in every country, and in most Euro countries where it was released, it was with a company sleeve. And in one of the Scandinavian countries where it was released with a PS Ten Little Indians was a fairly big hit, so not that rare.

The rarest BB 45 release in Europe imo is the German Ariola release of Surfin Safari. But for example the Dutch Ten Little Indians 45 is hyper rare as well. I guess it depends on where you live in Europe. The This Whole World book gives a fairly good impression of how rare certain 45's are. Living closer to the country of origin makes it a bit easier to find them. Don't forget that in some countries the quantities were low to begin with, as the market for US artists (or pop music in general)  was low.

When it comes to Dutch singles: the rarest would be the 1st three singles with PS (In My Room, Fun Fun Fun, Surfer Girl), plus Surfin Safari, Ten Little Indians, Little Honda, and Child Of Winter.
And I can't tell for sure, but in Germany the rarest would be (apart from the Ariola release) the car cover releases in good condition, some being rarer than others.

And when it comes to BB related: (as bgas said) Sound Of Free French 45, followed by the Dutch 45 with PS and the Irish 45 (I see the UK one being offered fairly regularly).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:13:38 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2013, 05:28:18 AM »

parts of my Beach Boys collection...   Smiley

LP's, books and magazines (stocked in the red boxes)

singles, CD's, tapes (and - yes - it's THAT Barbie doll...)

and then there's dvd's, video's, 8-tracks, and even a few reels as well...

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2013, 05:30:18 AM »

Quite the impressive collection SMiLE-Holland! Thumbs Up

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2013, 06:21:52 AM »

I see some bootlegs there. How could you…   LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx