gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:46:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tell us about your Beach Boys collection  (Read 106366 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2013, 10:47:58 PM »

How long have you been collecting? What do you have? What are your favorite items? What are your favorite BB things to collect?

I've been a Beach Boys fan for nine years now. I don't trade and very rarely buy online, pretty much everything I've got was found in record stores and at record fairs. And (box-sets excluded) I don't really want to pay more than 20-25 euros for an item. So my collection is no doubt very modest compared to that of many others here.

Including solo stuff, I now have 141 CDs, 104 7" & 10" singles, 63 LPs, 27 DVDs and 20 books. I also have quite some CDs and records by related artists and projects (Celebration, Beckley-Lamm-Wilson, American Spring, The Flame, Murry Wilson, Bruce & Terry, Van Dyke Parks, Wontermints etc.) and soundalikes (Boys Next Door, Fantastic Baggys, Mark Eric, Sunrays, Ronny & The Daytonas, Yellow Balloon etc.). Currently I'm mostly interested in 7" singles (45s).

I don't really have anything really rare, but some of my favorite items that I have are my French 'Child of Winter' single, my 'River Song' single and my Venezuelan 'All Summer Long' LP.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 02:10:17 AM »

I hate it when people on Tumblr accuse me of not "supporting the artist" when I ask for media on there. It's one of my biggest pet peeves. I took a picture of my Beach Boys collection to prove a point and nobody's had jack to say since.  Smokin

I've got a ton of Beach Boys stuff, though, ranging from an almost complete vinyl album collection to tour programs to books to box sets to cds and dvds galore. I will make a list at a later time.
MBE
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 03:26:04 AM »

I can't keep track but I try to get everything on vinyl. I get all the books and major DVD things. I have so many home made things I don't know if I'll ever have time for it all like I wish.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:28:06 AM by Mike Eder » Logged
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 04:03:05 AM »

All the official BB and solo CD:s that have been available since 2007, excluding Brian's Christmas album. Smile Box, no GV or PS boxes yet. LOTS of BB-related books. A shirt with white and blue stripes. White Fender Stratocaster.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 04:16:30 AM »

As a 'record guy' there's no real sense of urgency or triumph for me when searching out or finding Beach Boys stuff. It's mostly just 'always there' on Ebay...so I just pick up what I find in charities and car boots, generally. Got super clean UK mono and stereo friends, 20/20 that way, and the US pic sleeve of Monkeys Uncle. I did get a POB off the internet, pre reissue (waited until the price was right though- $16 for a promo stickered copy) and a NOS California Dreams barbie, with the flexi Wink

When I was at uni 11 or so years ago, it was a different story. Bought the sea of tunes stuff as it came out, all the official releases, Brian solo stuff, but as I got into other records, became pretty uninterested in owning cd's etc, my interest in physical BB objects tailed off.

A big stumbling block for me as a 'collector' is that my starting point is normally to want clean UK first pressings of an acts work, but The Beach Boys uk lp cat is a mess. The crown jewel of the sixties lps (pet sounds) sounds like total ass, in mono AND stereo because they did a fold of the reprocessed version, Sunflower has a reprocessed stereo 'Cottonfields' tacked onto the start, Carl and The Passions is a duff pressing/mastering...those are like, my three favourites!

It's like, I LOVE the material, but in terms of being actual, desirable objects, BB stuff is quite disappointing.

US cat. is a different story of course, would love a clean run of monos up to Wild Honey and Stereo's beyond, but being a UK-er postage alone on each one of those would be $20, and there are many, many exciting records by acts I've never heard of that can be had for less than that.

Jason
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 07:40:02 AM »

I've been a fan of the Beach Boys for nearly my entire life, but became a hardcore fan and collector in 2001. Since then my collection has grown to nearly 2,000 CDs (official, bootleg, live concerts, radio shows, interviews), around 60 45s, 50 LPs, 20 books, 45 DVDs (official and bootleg), and several band/solo shirts.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 07:42:25 AM »

I've been a fan of the Beach Boys for nearly my entire life, but became a hardcore fan and collector in 2001. Since then my collection has grown to nearly 2,000 CDs (official, bootleg, live concerts, radio shows, interviews), around 60 45s, 50 LPs, 20 books, 45 DVDs (official and bootleg), and several band/solo shirts.

Roughly similar though I started in '76 and ran out of money seven years ago.

“We live in divisive times.”
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »

I own:

Compilations:
Sounds of Summer
The Warmth of the Sun
(want to get Endless Summer and Spirit Of America at some point, if only for historic value)

Studio Albums:
Today/Summer Days two-fer
Pet Sounds stereo and mono 2006 version
The Smile Sessions 2 disc version
Smiley Smile/Wild Honey two-fer
Friends/20/20 two-fer
Sunflower/Surf's Up two-fer

Solo Albums:
Brian Wilson Presents Smile

I would like to get 15 Big Ones/Love You next. I loved what I have heard of Love You and really enjoy the track "Had To Phone Ya" from 15 Big Ones (though I have low expectations for that album)

I don't do a lot of collecting outside of the canonical albums, though I may purchase some sessions bootlegs at some point.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:25:34 PM by Alcuin of Tours » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 11:07:10 PM »

As a 'record guy' there's no real sense of urgency or triumph for me when searching out or finding Beach Boys stuff. It's mostly just 'always there' on Ebay...so I just pick up what I find in charities and car boots, generally. Got super clean UK mono and stereo friends, 20/20 that way, and the US pic sleeve of Monkeys Uncle. I did get a POB off the internet, pre reissue (waited until the price was right though- $16 for a promo stickered copy) and a NOS California Dreams barbie, with the flexi Wink

When I was at uni 11 or so years ago, it was a different story. Bought the sea of tunes stuff as it came out, all the official releases, Brian solo stuff, but as I got into other records, became pretty uninterested in owning cd's etc, my interest in physical BB objects tailed off.

A big stumbling block for me as a 'collector' is that my starting point is normally to want clean UK first pressings of an acts work, but The Beach Boys uk lp cat is a mess. The crown jewel of the sixties lps (pet sounds) sounds like total ass, in mono AND stereo because they did a fold of the reprocessed version, Sunflower has a reprocessed stereo 'Cottonfields' tacked onto the start, Carl and The Passions is a duff pressing/mastering...those are like, my three favourites!

It's like, I LOVE the material, but in terms of being actual, desirable objects, BB stuff is quite disappointing.

US cat. is a different story of course, would love a clean run of monos up to Wild Honey and Stereo's beyond, but being a UK-er postage alone on each one of those would be $20, and there are many, many exciting records by acts I've never heard of that can be had for less than that.

Being a UK vinyl collector means you're near enough the same as me. Luckily, the PS/CATP problem can be easily overcome by the two-fer LP [y'know, the one with the BEST sounding copy of Pet Sounds] that also sounds phenomonaly better on both albums. Sunflower isn't bad eitehr, you just need to place your needle a bit later than the start of side 1.

But yeah, i have a complete set of originals, though my Wild Honey was a 50p too-tatty-but-it's-a-UK-original buy, while I have a mint French copy, which has a voice reading out the pressing number at the start of side 2...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
CoolWater
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 10:55:55 AM »

I too have been a fan all my life, and a collector since 2001. Never into CDs or CD boots. i have all their official US vinyl LPs, and lots of vinyl boots too (I take good care of my feet).  

I do have a collection of original concert posters, all from appearances in my home town, San Diego. The ealiest is 67. My fave is a poster from the 20th Anniversary tour that features all 5 original boys posing for the camera, It was the last time they played the world famous rock palace (aka The San Diego Sports Arena) with the original lineup. I was 8 at the time it was printed, and although already a fan I was unfortunately not at the show.

I also have a signed Surfin U.S.A album signed by all 5 members at the time of it's release (including David, not Al) which I bought for a single solitary US dollar ($1.00) at a local garage sale. The woman who sold it to me said she had seen them a dozen times in the early sixties and had gotten it signed at a promo event at a radio station here in town. She placed no monetary value on it, just her memories, and offered it to me at the same price as the other records in her collection.

I spent over an hour talking with her. She had wonderful stories of seeing the Beatles in their one and only appearance in San Diego, at old Balboa Stadium downtown. She said she didn't hear a single song that day, what with all the screaming going on, but still counted it as the highlight of her young life.

I love talking to the people I buy things off of, hearing their stories, sharing in theif joy and reflection.

Maybe that's what I'm really into collecting: fond memories and good vibrations.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:10:30 AM by CoolWater » Logged
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 11:04:11 AM »

I also have an signed Surfin U.S.A album signed by all 5 members at the time of it's release (including David, not Al) which I bought for a single solitary US dollar ($1.00) at a local garage sale. The woman who sold it to me said she had seen them a dozen times in the early sixties and had gotten it signed at a promo event at a radiio station here in town. She placed no monetary value on it, just her memories, and offered it to me at the same price as the other records in her collection.

WOW!

That's a real prize...see loads of signed things from the late seventies onwards, but that's got to be a beautiful object- and the fact you got it for a dollar, complete with anecdote is worth a million 'certificates of authenticity'
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 11:29:11 AM »

I also have an signed Surfin U.S.A album signed by all 5 members at the time of it's release (including David, not Al) which I bought for a single solitary US dollar ($1.00) at a local garage sale. The woman who sold it to me said she had seen them a dozen times in the early sixties and had gotten it signed at a promo event at a radiio station here in town. She placed no monetary value on it, just her memories, and offered it to me at the same price as the other records in her collection.

WOW!

That's a real prize...see loads of signed things from the late seventies onwards, but that's got to be a beautiful object- and the fact you got it for a dollar, complete with anecdote is worth a million 'certificates of authenticity'

+1

To be honest I think the ancdote is even better than the price!

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »

All the original LPs; selected 45s from the golden era;  the 93 box; all 2-fers; many of the more recent remixes; extensive bootlegs; all of Brian, Dennis, Carl and Al's solo stuff. And, of course, TSS.

Two of my favorite LPs--or should I say, sides of LPs--are the British "Best of the Beach Boys," vols. 2 and 3.  The Brits were always more generous in quantity, putting fourteen tracks on their "best ofs" as opposed to 12 in the USA. And their programming/sequencing was more discerning as well, producing two almost perfect side 2s:

Vol 2: (side 2) The Girl From NYC/Girl Don't Tell Me/The Little Girl I Once Knew/Mountain of Love/Here Today/Wouldn't It Be Nice/Good Vibrations

Vol 3: (side 2) Darlin'/Please Let Me Wonder/Let Him Run Wild/Country Air/I Know There's An Answer/Friends/Heroes and Villains

Back when we still had stacking turntables, my GF and I would put those two sides on frequently as the "go to bed" music. If they'd put "Sloop John B." on v2 in place of "Mountain of Love" (it actually appeared on the UK Vol 1) it would have been perfection.

Should note that side 2 of the UK Best of Vol 1 was not exactly a slouch, either: Do You Wanna Dance/Help Me Rhonda/California Girls/Barbara Ann/You're So Good to Me/Sloop John B./God Only Knows

Today, we just program whatever we want, of course. But there was something kind of special about someone, somewhere, having the discernment to put such a wonderful combination of great hits and great deep cuts onto these records. It was a kind of sublime serendipity...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 08:55:12 PM »

I've been collecting since about 1972 and I've got... multiple hundreds of LPs/45s/cassettes,  programmes, posters, standups,CDs, 4 & 8 track tapes, Reel tapes, Playtapes, magazines,books, original smile stuff(slicks, booklet, color seps), alot of promo stuff, flyers, handbills, tickets... am I forgetting anything Mikie?
And I can't stop, tho I know it's nuts
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:01:53 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »

I've been collecting since about 1972 and I've got... multiple hundreds of LPs/45s/cassettes,  programmes, posters, standups,CDs, 4 & 8 track tapes, Reel tapes, Playtapes, magazines,books, original smile slicks front and back, alot of promo stuff, flyers, handbills, tickets... am I forgetting anything Mikie?
And I can't stop, tho I know it's nuts

Nah, that's about it in a nutshell, Bgas.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »

Probably shouldn't be showing my face around here, but:

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »

I've been a Beach Boys fan and collector since 1970.  Been a Beatles fan and collector even longer than that.

I got all kindsa sh*t in my collection.  But I don't wanna talk about it much 'cause one time I posted the goods here and Bgas threatened to search for my house and steal my rare records. So I've pretty much been a recluse since then and try to stay home as much as possible. Except when I go to work and to Great America and Santa Cruz and the water slides near my home. When I do go out, I make sure to put my Doberman Bugsy out in the yard. If an intruder tries to get in, Bugsy will attack by instinct and maul him and take a couple of chunks out of his skull so that he ends up swimming with the fishes.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 09:38:17 PM »

I've been a Beach Boys fan and collector since 1970.  Been a Beatles fan and collector even longer than that.

I got all kindsa sh*t in my collection.  But I don't wanna talk about it much 'cause one time I posted the goods here and Bgas threatened to search for my house and steal my rare records. So I've pretty much been a recluse since then and try to stay home as much as possible. Except when I go to work and to Great America and Santa Cruz and the water slides near my home. When I do go out, I make sure to put my Doberman Bugsy out in the yard. If an intruder tries to get in, Bugsy will attack by instinct and maul him and take a couple of chunks out of his skull so that he ends up swimming with the fishes.

( watch out!)  I'm looking in your back window; Bugsy and I are friends....

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 09:58:43 PM »

I have a Friends album cover signed by both Mike and Bruce. Late Winter 1968 or 69. A+ condition. What year was that? Bruce knows because he told me he remembers that night in a pub, Austin, TX. Magic.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 10:17:28 PM »

Probably shouldn't be showing my face around here, but:

Oh my god you are so cute!!!  Grin Grin Grin

You have suffered the consequences...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:06:52 PM by Lady Xoc » Logged
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 11:17:58 PM »

I have Surfs Up (original pressing) 20/20 (1st Starline Pressing) and from my mom, Good Vibrations: the best of the Beach boys vinyl. Also, she also has California Girls on the 45 and use to have Endless Summer, where abouts unknown
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:21:12 PM by EthanJames » Logged
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 03:05:35 PM »

I made a database last summer of all my Beach Boys, plus solo and related stuff, including legitimate and not-so-legitimate items; LPs, 45s, CDs, DVDs, cassettes, posters, programs, books, etc. There are currently 415 entries. I think I may have a problem.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 05:17:41 PM »

on the subject of BB collections...who's got a complete run of their US picture sleeve 45s

Seeing something like that might inspire me to dig in

I mean- how could any Dennis fan resist this?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 06:26:28 PM »

on the subject of BB collections...who's got a complete run of their US picture sleeve 45s

Mikie does

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 06:54:18 PM »

So does Bgas.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx