gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681000 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 05:07:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Flying Burrito Brothers  (Read 1506 times)
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2013, 11:02:08 AM »

I couldn't find a thread about these guys, so I thought I'd start one up. I mean, how could nobody be talking about this great band?

(From Wikipedia) The Flying Burrito Brothers were an early country rock band founded in 1968 on the West Coast of the United States by former Byrds members Gram Parsons and Chris Hillman, as well as pianist and bassist Chris Ethridge and pedal steel guitarist Sneaky Pete Kleinow. The band is best known for its influential debut album, The Gilded Palace of Sin.  Although the group is most often mentioned in connection with Parsons and Hillman, the group underwent many (many) personnel changes.

So, if you like the Byrds or Gram Parsons, check out The Flying Burrito Brothers. If, you already know who they are: wonderful! Here's a place to talk about them.

Some of their more popular tunes:

"Wild Horses": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MchWI3sLUQo
"Christines Tune": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BITiY8M_oDo
"Hot Burrito #1": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rrqBsG1yXs

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 07:59:02 PM »

That first LP was a classic but that was pretty much it in terms of top tier music.  But a very important record for which Hillman deserves pretty much equal credit with Parsons but doesn't get it.  Although GP/Grievous Angel are right there.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:46:13 PM »

Yup, one good record, one weird Grateful Dead-ish Single (Train Song) and then not much. But That one record is almost perfect (Hippy Boy? not so much).

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Two Ways Have I
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 04:53:43 AM »

Burrito Deluxe clearly isn't as good as the first album but let's not be too quick to dismiss it out of hand entirely.  Here's a great video clip of Older Guys with Gram putting on his very best Jagger moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bmcT4qieI4
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 05:04:33 AM »

Hippie Boy is hilarious. As it's clearly intended to be - warbling 'There'll Be Peace In The Valley' offkey is such a deft stroke.

But, the Hot Burrito tunes, their version of Dark End Of The Street, Sin City... the Gilded Palace of Sin is pretty classic. Although I prefer Gram gone solo as it doesn't have that asshole Michael Clarke drumming.

Have you heard the live set from 1969 they put out? It's half genius and half 'oh my god, guys, you should probably rehearse a bit more often'.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 04:00:17 PM »

To me their biggest influence is the impression they had on other groups coming out of the south (particularly Florida) at that time most notably Mudcrutch which featured among others Bernie Leadon's brother Tom.  Mudcrutch despite having earned a record deal in 1974 broke up prior to releasing an album of their own and several months later reconfigured themselves as Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 11:27:43 AM »

I recently found this. One of the best versions of this song, other than The Band's version. A shame it wasn't completed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AUInYhvjkA

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx