gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:56:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Searching for Sugarman/Sixto Rodriguez  (Read 1150 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2013, 05:53:52 AM »

Hey all,

A friend has turned me on to this 2012 film/doc about the lost folk artist Sixto Rodriguez.

I'm definitely gonna check it out soon, was just wondering if any folk here are familiar with him or the film at all?

Trailer looks cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDw7OqVBT-w

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 06:01:14 AM »

The film is just OK - not enough Rodriguez for my liking, and when you see it you're gonna think why it was made 'now' as opposed to 'then'.

However, Rodriguez himself is a great artist. I bought the doc soundtrack as it was cheap on iTunes, and it's amazing. Great singing, lyricism, arrangements... Definitely pick it up.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 03:29:40 AM »

I haven't seen it yet but friends have and they loved it.  I've been a fan of his for over 20 years.  I listened to his album driving across the Nullarbor.  Good times.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 05:28:18 AM »

Great documentary, turned me on to a great artist. Checked with some South African friends, Rodriguez was/is as popular there as the documentary suggests. Check it out, it's a heart-warming story...
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 12:32:16 PM »

Finally got around to seeing this and I really loved it.  Oddly I don't find the music that compelling although the tracks with string arrangements almost have a "Forever Changes" meets Jose Feliciano kind of appeal for  me.  But as a film I find it terrifically constructed, very creative, and so obviously a labor of love.  And the story is mind blowing and the humility and strength of the man (and his family and admirers) is extremely inspiring.

i would put it at the very top tier of Rock Docs in that i think it works even if you are not familiar with or a fan of the subject.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx