gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:24:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More studio news  (Read 93589 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 25, 2013, 08:53:43 AM »

You're a hard man to please, Andrew Hickey.

I just have different tastes to the rest of the board. I thought The Private Life Of Bill And Sue was fantastic, for example.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 25, 2013, 09:08:06 AM »

I mean, depending on what you believe, JT is fulfilling the role Chuck Britz used to - Brian asks 'can we get X sounding like Y' and he does it, but also takes a lot of the engineering heft, knowing how to use the sheer nuts and bolts of the recording technology under the order of Brian who really doesn't want to know how to bounce 16 mics onto one track/f*** with the banal logic of digital recording so long as the sound he wants is possible.

Which, I guess, leads onto Brian being happy with how TWGMTR sounds - it sounds processed to the point of mediocrity , but it doesn't sound offkey I guess - but that speaks volumes to JT as a producer. JT doesn't want 'real' performances. Imagine if JT, rather than Rick Rubin, produced Johnny Cash in his final years - Rubin might have dressed the tracks in various ornamentation, but he never f***ed with Johnny's vocal. It's really akin to that, given that you're dealing with such an act. They aren't Ricky & The Rockets, y'know...

Good point. JT has no business manipulating the voices of one of the greatest vocal acts of all time. Tweaking vocals of someone very famous for not having the need to do so is incredibly disrespectful to that artist's legacy. JT should be utterly ashamed of himself for what he has done.

The fact that the Beach Boys used to have the voices to qualify for the claim of "one of the greatest vocal acts of all time" shouldn't cloud the facts that they can't live up to anything near that claim right now. Listen, I love them. And I despite excessive processing, by which I mean overly unnatural or robotic results. But the guys, live around a single mic (or pair of mics, if you're giving Mike his own), would be a disaster. Even if the songs were arranged to drop them into reasonable registers, it would be rough.

Vocal Range.
The guys were masters of tight harmonies, but even with that fact, there is a certain amount of range required. That range is dramatically reduced because of age and death. Even the one everyone here says has a voice unchanged by time--Al--doesn't have the range he used to. He has a similar timbre to that of his youth, but his high range is without question diminished. While we are occasionally told Brian still has the same falsetto as he used to (but that it's "louder than God," if I recall AGD's quote of someone else's quote...Darian?), we don't hear it. Bruce doesn't have it anymore. And Carl is dead. The high part--parts, even--are Jeff's. Sure, you can replace the parts, but you're already manipulating the voices of the greatest vocal act of all time if you're bringing in other people (family members or old friends or not).

Oh, and Mike's bass voice isn't consistently strong, either. He is less powerful than in his youth. Especially on record there are ways to compensate, but isn't that manipulating the voice of a member of one of the greatest vocal acts of all time?

Vocal Quality / Accuracy.
Brian cannot sing on pitch on a consistent basis. He also doesn't articulate well. This is a huge problem for a band whose arrangements require tight harmonies on extended chords. Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, or the aforementioned Johnny CAsh--these types can get away with their voices' decay because their songs don't require tight harmonies with things like like major seventh chords or 13th chords or suspensions. But when you're working with chords incorporating tight intervals (a root and a seventh both in the same chord, a fifth and a sixth, etc.), it matters a lot. Brian doesn't even consistently sing melodies on pitch.

Further, someone like Bruce (and sometimes Mike) sounds breathy now, whereas he once had a clear and almost brassy voice. He's more a Dennis now in that--and only that!--respect.

And while David brings a lot to the table instrumentally, his voice is another one that just isn't a standout.

Summary
In the end, this band of senior citizens is not capable of singing at anywhere near the quality they used to sing without studio manipulation. I'm not saying they are terrible singers now, and each voice still has its strengths and charms. But with a reduced range to work within combined with the natural ravages of time and misfortune of loss, the choices are limited: write non-"Beach Boys" vocal arrangements that accommodate their limitations by using middle-low registers and fewer tight or difficult harmonies; bring in non-band member vocalists who can sing the parts (and feature them in the mix); or manipulate the band's voices through the available means in the studio. Desper has talked about using studio technology to do things like speed tape to get higher vocal parts, and obviously they've been optimizing multitrack and splicing technology almost forever to get takes that are better than what they could actually perform in-person.

The debate seems mostly a reworking of Churchill's quote: we've already [long-since] established [that they'll use studio manipulation to create the illusion of perfect vocals], now we're just haggling over [the specific manipulation]. Or something like that...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 25, 2013, 09:22:35 AM »

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 25, 2013, 09:29:23 AM »

Well, we got the best Brian track in who knows how long from Bon Jovi sooooooooooooooo..........

I was extremely unimpressed myself, but OK, substitute Jimmy Buffet then.
And if I was Mike Love I might respond and substitute with the name Van Dyke Parks. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 25, 2013, 09:32:45 AM »

The fact that the Beach Boys used to have the voices to qualify for the claim of "one of the greatest vocal acts of all time" shouldn't cloud the facts that they can't live up to anything near that claim right now.

They're still good.

And I despite excessive processing, by which I mean overly unnatural or robotic results. But the guys, live around a single mic (or pair of mics, if you're giving Mike his own), would be a disaster.

No one said this would be the approach the should use.

In the end, this band of senior citizens is not capable of singing at anywhere near the quality they used to sing without studio manipulation. I'm not saying they are terrible singers now, and each voice still has its strengths and charms. But with a reduced range to work within combined with the natural ravages of time and misfortune of loss, the choices are limited: write non-"Beach Boys" vocal arrangements that accommodate their limitations by using middle-low registers and fewer tight or difficult harmonies; bring in non-band member vocalists who can sing the parts (and feature them in the mix); or manipulate the band's voices through the available means in the studio.

That doesn't justify the piss-poor approach that is being used to "hide" their limitations. It doesn't have to be this way. You're talking a bunch of millionaires whom are recognized as one of the most important groups of all time, this is not anywhere near the best that could be done by their producers and handlers. The execution is poor, the time and effort aren't there or aren't there to the extent that they really should be, people like Joe Thomas are being lazy, doing well below what should be the minimum amount of work in preserving the band's legacy and laughing all the way to the bank as they do so.

These people's means of "perfecting" the supposed imperfections and limitations of the Beach Boys only serve to embarrass the band and make them look incapable of what they're indeed capable of, if not to the same extent they were in 1965. I've heard on more than one occasion they it's obvious they can't sing worth sh*t anymore and that the reunion was little more than a cash grab by a bunch of formerly talented old men. The job done on the live album only solidifies that to these people. It doesn't have to be like that at all.

People seem to forget that, just a few years ago, we had some of the best vocals Brian has recorded in decades on the Gershwin album and, to a slightly lesser extent, TLOS and the Disney record. They may have sounded every so slightly glossy on occasion, but it wasn't at all to the point of distraction. The manipulation was rarely obvious (as opposed to being consistently obvious on some parts of the last two Beach Boys releases), most things were approached in good taste. His vocals just sounded good and sounded pretty natural. He sounded great on the live releases. Then Joe Thomas stepped in.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 10:01:48 AM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: May 25, 2013, 09:39:17 AM »

The fact that the Beach Boys used to have the voices to qualify for the claim of "one of the greatest vocal acts of all time" shouldn't cloud the facts that they can't live up to anything near that claim right now.

They're still good.
I agree.

And I despite excessive processing, by which I mean overly unnatural or robotic results. But the guys, live around a single mic (or pair of mics, if you're giving Mike his own), would be a disaster.

No one said this would be the approach the should use.

Maybe you didn't say it, but the post I quoted in my initial one certainly implied something similar. Cabinessenceking said: "JT has no business manipulating the voices of one of the greatest vocal acts of all time. Tweaking vocals of someone very famous for not having the need to do so is incredibly disrespectful to that artist's legacy." I would say that "no business manipulating the voices" means something quite similar to, well, "no business manipulating the voices." Meaning leave them to sing without manipulation. That's what I was responding directly to. Not other people's positions that may be more nuanced and allow for some types of manipulation but not others (which, as I said, would actually by my position).

In the end, this band of senior citizens is not capable of singing at anywhere near the quality they used to sing without studio manipulation. I'm not saying they are terrible singers now, and each voice still has its strengths and charms. But with a reduced range to work within combined with the natural ravages of time and misfortune of loss, the choices are limited: write non-"Beach Boys" vocal arrangements that accommodate their limitations by using middle-low registers and fewer tight or difficult harmonies; bring in non-band member vocalists who can sing the parts (and feature them in the mix); or manipulate the band's voices through the available means in the studio.

That doesn't justify the piss-poor approach that is being used to "hide" their limitations. It doesn't have to be this way. You're talking a bunch of millionaires whom are recognized as one of the most important groups of all time, this is not anywhere near the best that could be done by their producers and handlers. The execution is poor, the time and effort aren't there or aren't there to the extent that they really should be, people like Joe Thomas are being lazy, doing well below what should be the minimum amount of work in preserving the band's legacy and laughing all the way to the bank as they do so.

These people's means of "perfecting" the supposed imperfections and limitations of the Beach Boys only serve to embarrass the band and make them look incapable of what they're indeed capable of. I've heard on more than one occasion they it's obvious they can't sing worth sh*t anymore and that the reunion was little more than a cash grab by a bunch of formerly talented old men. The job done on the live album only solidifies that to these people. It doesn't have to be like that at all.

I agree.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 25, 2013, 09:39:59 AM »

I find others' faith disturbing.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 25, 2013, 09:48:06 AM »

Maybe you didn't say it, but the post I quoted in my initial one certainly implied something similar. Cabinessenceking said: "JT has no business manipulating the voices of one of the greatest vocal acts of all time. Tweaking vocals of someone very famous for not having the need to do so is incredibly disrespectful to that artist's legacy." I would say that "no business manipulating the voices" means something quite similar to, well, "no business manipulating the voices." Meaning leave them to sing without manipulation. That's what I was responding directly to. Not other people's positions that may be more nuanced and allow for some types of manipulation but not others (which, as I said, would actually by my position).

Fair 'nough. I'm sure he didn't explicitly mean "no business manipulating" as in leaving them untouched given their voices have been "manipulated" in one way or another since 1961, though.

I find others' faith disturbing.

Yeah, well. ;(
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:50:54 AM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: May 26, 2013, 04:35:38 AM »

Bruce doesn't have it anymore. And Carl is dead. The high part--parts, even--are Jeff's.

The album TWGMTR has Bruce on some falsetto parts. And he usually did the high ending on "Fun, fun, fun" live (probably does the same when touring with Mike solo).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 26, 2013, 09:51:12 AM »

Bruce doesn't have it anymore. And Carl is dead. The high part--parts, even--are Jeff's.

The album TWGMTR has Bruce on some falsetto parts. And he usually did the high ending on "Fun, fun, fun" live (probably does the same when touring with Mike solo).
There's other high bits he does live - on "God Only Knows", for instance (if I'm not mistaken).
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: May 26, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »

There's other high bits he does live - on "God Only Knows", for instance (if I'm not mistaken).

The middle part? Might be, I'd have to listen to it. And of course he goes high on "Disney girls (1957)".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 26, 2013, 02:31:12 PM »

My understanding, based on some of the interviews, and on just listening, is that Bruce does most of the falsetto in the harmony stack on almost the entire record, with Foskett just below in Carl's old spot.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #487 on: May 26, 2013, 02:33:56 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:08:37 PM by zatch » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 26, 2013, 02:59:49 PM »

"church bingo chances"  Wink
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 26, 2013, 03:21:07 PM »

Zach, he hits a few good ones at the end when he breaks it down, iirc

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #490 on: May 26, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:08:33 PM by zatch » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: May 26, 2013, 03:39:20 PM »

The middle part? Might be, I'd have to listen to it. And of course he goes high on "Disney girls (1957)".
If you mean the "testing her chances" part, I'm pretty sure Brian did that on the record (according to Bruce himself), and he certainly doesn't do it on the 50th tour:

No, I wasn't talking about that specific part. He goes quite high at the end for example and (I'm not 100% sure about this one) during the do-do-do-do part just before the whistling starts.

I disagree. Also, it was my understanding that Carl was above Mike most times, below Al and Brian.

Yep, I agree with that.
Bruce has some moments on the album singing the falsetto but usually it's Jeff

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 26, 2013, 05:31:49 PM »

IMO We didn't hear enough Bruce on the record. He still has a fantastic voice.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 26, 2013, 09:26:22 PM »

Honestly, I thought that amount of Bruce was a bit more than par for the course. In previous albums (except for Sunflower), usually Bruce got one lead vocal (if he wrote the song) and that was pretty much it. On this one he got the lead for part of the chorus on "Isn't It Time" and part of the lead for "Spring Vacation". He also did they falsetto on "The Private Life of Bill and Sue" and had a prominent part on "That's Why God Made The Radio" and "Think About The Days".
zachrwolfe
« Reply #494 on: May 26, 2013, 09:39:32 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:08:25 PM by zatch » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: May 27, 2013, 01:08:49 PM »

Honestly, I thought that amount of Bruce was a bit more than par for the course. In previous albums (except for Sunflower), usually Bruce got one lead vocal (if he wrote the song) and that was pretty much it. On this one he got the lead for part of the chorus on "Isn't It Time" and part of the lead for "Spring Vacation". He also did they falsetto on "The Private Life of Bill and Sue" and had a prominent part on "That's Why God Made The Radio" and "Think About The Days".
But he didn't have single song where he sung the lead for the bulk of the song.

Exactly.

It makes sense though, wasn't he idea for a contribution to the record going to a re-recorded version of "She believes in love again". Maybe it's best we didn't get too much Bruce.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 27, 2013, 01:12:22 PM »

I think he sings the falsetto during the whistling section on "From There To Back Again" as well. He's still got it, for sure.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 27, 2013, 01:59:41 PM »

Can we focus on the fact that we're gonna have a new edgy Brian album?

Yes thats RIGHT!

Cuzin Brian is going to come out with the most stupendous, awesome, ground breaking just "wow" album that Cuzin Michael and that bunch of seasick pelicans he is touring with will be utterly washed out the public consciousness. A new wave of "Brianmania will sweep the globe!

The only gigs Cuzin Love will be able to get will be at Chuck E. Cheese or local roller rinks. Michael will never recover from the blow and thus defeated, surrender the BB brand and go into semi-retirement heading a chain of tattoo parlors called "Love My Tat".  Razz

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 02, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »

From Brian's official facebook page: "Brian recording at Ocean Way with Scott Bennett in L.A."

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 02, 2013, 10:44:40 AM »

Brian's got a classic Jor-El (Brando style) look goin' on there, even down to the super-curl. I like it.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx