gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680883 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 10:52:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More studio news  (Read 94325 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #275 on: April 20, 2013, 01:00:30 PM »

I wondered why those two Hawaiian guys I saw in town were doubled over with laughter outside the pie shop.

Like my wife, who's from South Africa couldn't believe we were driving around in a car called a Punta, which translates as c*nt in Afrikaans
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #276 on: April 20, 2013, 01:02:46 PM »

The pies probably do contain anus, along with eyeballs, feet, beaks etc.
I'm craving some cream tea right about now.

Yes, England does have some good food.

Pies just ain't one of them!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:08:14 PM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 20, 2013, 01:05:42 PM »

I know the story, it really speaks to ML's character.

Me too, but I tend to be leery of any story that has a single source, which source being biased against the subject to boot.
Not really, Mike has a reputation and he lived up to it when met surfrider.

You were there ? You can confirm ?
Quit trying to pick a fight with me. How much does Mike and Bruce pay you?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 20, 2013, 01:05:57 PM »

I wondered why those two Hawaiian guys I saw in town were doubled over with laughter outside the pie shop.

And I wondered why the English tourist walked out of the Hawaiian pie shop with tears in his eyes.

English words that you should think twice about before speaking them in other countries.

Fag.
Pukka.
Punta.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:08:49 PM by Death To Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #279 on: April 20, 2013, 01:07:29 PM »

Can I borrow your rubber?

Derailed? This thread is a train wreck
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:10:31 PM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #280 on: April 20, 2013, 01:14:19 PM »

I know the story, it really speaks to ML's character.

Me too, but I tend to be leery of any story that has a single source, which source being biased against the subject to boot.
Not really, Mike has a reputation and he lived up to it when met surfrider.

You were there ? You can confirm ?
Quit trying to pick a fight with me. How much does Mike and Bruce pay you?
But that's what he does best, man. It's a childhood issue from which he can not escape, thus his petulant, insolate behavior on this and the other boards he posts on. When you study at the feet of mYke luHv this is what you get. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:21:11 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 20, 2013, 01:25:12 PM »

And I wondered why the English tourist walked out of the Hawaiian pie shop with tears in his eyes.

English words that you should think twice about before speaking them in other countries.

Fag.
Pukka.
Punta.
And when in England Yanks need to be careful in holding up fingers to order two pints.

Only pies you'll find in Hawaii are  the sweet round ones. Now Malasadas, oh yeah.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #282 on: April 20, 2013, 01:27:55 PM »

I'm so glad I'm not one of the admin on this board...
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 20, 2013, 01:31:30 PM »

I'm so glad I'm not one of the admin on this board...
Most threads always break down. We don't have any info as to what Brian is really up to. Those that know who are on the board won't tell us.

Besides, Brian is in Vegas at Camp. Maybe we will get more photos next week.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #284 on: April 20, 2013, 01:34:29 PM »

Most threads always break down. We don't have any info as to what Brian is really up to. Those that know who are on the board won't tell us.

I'm not talking about the thread breaking down...

I'm talking about the admin asking people to take it to PMs and certain children continuing to try to disrupt class.  Smiley
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 20, 2013, 01:36:33 PM »

I'm not talking about the thread breaking down...

I'm talking about the admin asking people to take it to PMs and certain children continuing to try to disrupt class.  Smiley
Thought it had gone to pukka pies?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:38:14 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

Nicko1234
« Reply #286 on: April 20, 2013, 01:41:07 PM »

Thought it had gone to pukka pies?

There's always one though isn't there...
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #287 on: April 20, 2013, 02:16:10 PM »

It was the "bitching at each other" that was asked to be taken to PM's. Humour was deployed and saved the day, but I'm, afraid the thread was destroyed in the process.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 20, 2013, 02:27:47 PM »

I don't find the arguing particularly productive, especially because everyone is getting so irritated that it becomes harder and harder to empathize with other points of view. I mean, on one hand Mike had this coming, because he did, by multiple accounts (namely one Brian Wilson and one Jon Stebbins), break up the reunited Beach Boys. I think the folks who are rushing to Mike's defense have a difficult time dealing with this, so the preferred tactic is ignoring its existence or throwing out irrelevant details (so Brian might not have done all the shows -- so what?).

On the other hand, this was Mike's right, and he certainly didn't owe anyone anything after gamely going through the album recording, promotion and an extensive tour. And no one can accuse him of phoning it in over the last year. Anyone who saw the C50 shows recognized that Mike was still a peerless front man. Cheesy, corny, yet unarguably compelling. I think those who rush to condemn Mike -- and I've done my share of it over the years -- have a difficult time acknowledging his talents, so they likewise try to ignore their existence or throw out irrelevant details (who cares about Bruce's clapping?).

Regardless, everyone in the band seems reasonably happy now, so perhaps its best for us all to accept that what happened happened, that the album and tour were excellent, and allow ourselves to be delighted and surprised by whatever happens next.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:06:57 PM by Wirestone » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 20, 2013, 02:31:28 PM »

I don't find the arguing particularly productive, especially because everyone is getting so irritated that it becomes harder and harder to empathize with other points of view. I mean, on one hand Mike had this coming, because he did, by multiple accounts (namely one Brian Wilson and one Jon Stebbins), break up the reunited Beach Boys. I think the folks who are rushing to Mike's defense have a difficult time dealing with this, so the preferred tactic is ignoring its existence or throwing out irrelevant details (so Brian might not have done all the shows -- so what?).

On the other hand, this was Mike's right, and he certainly didn't owe anyone anything after gamely going through the album recording, promotion and an extensive tour. And no one can accuse him of phoning it in over the last year. Anyone who saw the C50 shows recognized that Mike was still a peerless front man. Cheesy, corny, yet unarguably compelling. I think those who rush to condemn Mike -- and I've done my share of it over the years -- have a difficult time acknowledging with his talents, so they likewise try to ignore their existence or throw out irrelevant details (who cares about Bruce's clapping?).

Regardless, everyone in the band seems reasonably happy now, so perhaps its best for us all to accept that what happened happened, that the album and tour were excellent, and allow ourselves to be delighted and surprised by whatever happens next.
Well said!

Nicko1234
« Reply #290 on: April 20, 2013, 02:46:59 PM »

Good post and I agree with many of the things that you said but...

I don't think it is a matter of ignoring things. Yes, the C50 could have continued for longer and Mike decided he didn't want to do that. I don't think anyone is denying it. However, it was never going to last forever and I think it's a miracle it went as well as it did. Everybody walked on eggshells for one year and compromised but they were never going to do that eternally.

I'm not sure how Brian not doing all of the shows could be described as 'irrelevant'. If Brian had wanted to work in the studio with Jeff and other band members then they wouldn't have been available for touring. As Mike likes playing a hundred shows a year that would have been a problem. Even if Brian had used other musicians in the studio, I think the least likely scenario of all this year would have been Mike and the other guys going out on tour with Brian's band but without Brian. That was never going to happen.

I agree absolutely about accepting what happened happened and enjoying future projects though.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 20, 2013, 02:52:42 PM »

I don't we have a problem with something that didn't happen.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: April 20, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »

Good post and I agree with many of the things that you said but...

I don't think it is a matter of ignoring things. Yes, the C50 could have continued for longer and Mike decided he didn't want to do that. I don't think anyone is denying it. However, it was never going to last forever and I think it's a miracle it went as well as it did. Everybody walked on eggshells for one year and compromised but they were never going to do that eternally.

I'm not sure how Brian not doing all of the shows could be described as 'irrelevant'. If Brian had wanted to work in the studio with Jeff and other band members then they wouldn't have been available for touring. As Mike likes playing a hundred shows a year that would have been a problem. Even if Brian had used other musicians in the studio, I think the least likely scenario of all this year would have been Mike and the other guys going out on tour with Brian's band but without Brian. That was never going to happen.

I agree absolutely about accepting what happened happened and enjoying future projects though.

Was there any true indication that Brian wasn't going to do all of the shows, as in theoretical future reunion dates? I don't know if I missed something regarding that. I know Love said in his statement to the LA Times that initially Brian was only going to join in on a handfull of dates, but that idea seemed to go by the wayside pretty quickly. He did all 74 shows with the band, never missed one. I don't think they would set up a longer "reunion" tour than what Brian could do, which does of course lead us back to another of many reasons Love probably wouldn't be as amenable, because he wouldn't want to only continue to do 30 or 50 or probably even only 75 shows per year. He would want to do more, and more cheaply, etc.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 03:55:34 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: April 20, 2013, 03:59:08 PM »

On the other hand, this was Mike's right, and he certainly didn't owe anyone anything after gamely going through the album recording, promotion and an extensive tour. And no one can accuse him of phoning it in over the last year. Anyone who saw the C50 shows recognized that Mike was still a peerless front man. Cheesy, corny, yet unarguably compelling. I think those who rush to condemn Mike -- and I've done my share of it over the years -- have a difficult time acknowledging with his talents, so they likewise try to ignore their existence or throw out irrelevant details (who cares about Bruce's clapping?).

Very well said as always. Those who have lamented Mike ending more reunion possibilities are doing just that, lamenting. At some point, our lamenting does become rather unproductive and doesn't further a conversation as much. But in the world of the BB's where we *still* lament so many things that *could* have happened ("Smile", better setlists, a bazillion tracks that they never released, Beach Boys Central website, Adult Child, Dennis' solo career, and the list goes on and on), I've simply been continually surprised at the number of fans who have been sort of like "Meh, Mike did what he was contractually obligated to do, give the guy a break" when it comes to the reunion.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 20, 2013, 04:06:09 PM »

But in the world of the BB's where we *still* lament so many things that *could* have happened ("Smile", better setlists, a bazillion tracks that they never released, Beach Boys Central website, Adult Child, Dennis' solo career, and the list goes on and on), I've simply been continually surprised at the number of fans who have been sort of like "Meh, Mike did what he was contractually obligated to do, give the guy a break" when it comes to the reunion.

It's in large part *because* of that that we're saying that, though. Last year they actually managed a base level of competence and acting like sensible human beings for the first time in, what, thirty years? Forty? Get together, make a decent album, promote it properly, do a good tour with a wonderful backing band, playing interesting sets, have no public rows, everyone shows up sober and actually enthusiastic about their parts...
Realistically, how long was that going to last?

The fact that it ended when it was supposed to end rather than three months early was, in itself, a minor miracle. They all did what they said they were going to do, and compared to what we've been trained to expect, basic professionalism is cause for celebration.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: April 20, 2013, 04:28:02 PM »

But in the world of the BB's where we *still* lament so many things that *could* have happened ("Smile", better setlists, a bazillion tracks that they never released, Beach Boys Central website, Adult Child, Dennis' solo career, and the list goes on and on), I've simply been continually surprised at the number of fans who have been sort of like "Meh, Mike did what he was contractually obligated to do, give the guy a break" when it comes to the reunion.

It's in large part *because* of that that we're saying that, though. Last year they actually managed a base level of competence and acting like sensible human beings for the first time in, what, thirty years? Forty? Get together, make a decent album, promote it properly, do a good tour with a wonderful backing band, playing interesting sets, have no public rows, everyone shows up sober and actually enthusiastic about their parts...
Realistically, how long was that going to last?

The fact that it ended when it was supposed to end rather than three months early was, in itself, a minor miracle. They all did what they said they were going to do, and compared to what we've been trained to expect, basic professionalism is cause for celebration.

I think that all makes sense. Situationally, logically, it is indeed a marvel that the thing happened as well as it did. But it still seems like it wasn't just fate or some catastrophic thing that made it stop. It had a lot of momentum and at least three of the guys enthusiastic, with more offers for shows, etc., and then one ingredient made the whole thing end. I'm not big on the "it could have been worse" angle in this case, because the reunion tour was SO far beyond what I expected that it deserved to continue for awhile.

Those posts from Howie Edelson back around the end of the tour were so on the spot, particularly this one from October:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14421.msg324803.html#msg324803

That stuff needs to remembered. Maybe not continually said anymore, as the points have been made numerous times, but this statement, coming from someone who has actually covered these guys and spoken to them, specifically even spoken to Mike Love about the future of the reunion, is a statement that is both apt and carries a lot of weight to me. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:57:35 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 20, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »

This is a great post.

Brian is recording a new record. Mike doesn't belong on it..we're back to 2008. Let's move on.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jason
« Reply #297 on: April 20, 2013, 04:58:31 PM »

You might be shocked at this given our past exchanges, but THIS is one of the best posts I've ever read on this board. Seriously. Bravo. You said it better than I could have.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #298 on: April 20, 2013, 05:26:55 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:25:56 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: April 20, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »

Lost in pages of garbage was the fact that BRIAN IS RECORDING A NEW ALBUM, and has some topnotch people guesting on it. Those who think it's just going to be another GIOMH are forgetting the fact that except Al the guests are instrumentalists. I noticed in the pictures that when Brian smiles, it looks like he's got his swagger back. I noticed it at times throughout the C50 tour, and it looks like it is going to continue.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx