gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:07:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cd compilation of best songs omitted from Good Vibrations box?  (Read 3062 times)
zane7570
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2013, 08:15:25 PM »

Please forgive me if this has been done somewhere else. I searched for a thread covering this topic and did not find. Also, hello to everyone! I'm a long-time lurker who isn't much of a poster but does read almost everything posted here in order to obtain as much BB knowledge and opinions as possible. Anyway, I love the GV box and I bought it several years ago as my way of hearing more than just the hits. Of course it only made me want to hear more.

I would like to know from as many of you as possible what you think should have been included on GV if it had one more disc. I'm not talking about tracks that we haven't yet heard...just tracks from officially released studio or live recordings. Also, the tracks can be from any era. The compilation can be whatever you want it to be. I guess "Let Him Run Wild" will be on many lists since it was not approved to be on the original box.  Odds are I will look at many of your compilations and listen to them and gain a greater appreciation for a few songs. Thank you all for your time and consideration.

Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 08:45:44 PM »

The Lonely Sea
We'll Run Away
Kiss Me Baby
Let Him Run Wild
Let's Go Away For A While
Here Comes the Night (Wild Honey version)
Wake the World
Be With Me
Celebrate the News
Slip on Through
Feel Flows
Angel Come Home
Where I Belong
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:32:21 PM »

how the hell did Feel Flows get left off?

In The Back Of My Mind
Child Is Father of the Man
Old Folks/Old Man River
Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again
TM Song
Wipe Out w/ the Fat Boys (hey... I LIKE IT.)

anything missing from Friends and Love You
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 11:19:40 PM »

It's about time
feel flows
roller skating child
lady Lynda
Keepin the summer Alive
still cruisin
let him run wild
bluebirds over the mountain
girl don't tell me
stoked
soulful ol man sunshine
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:20:32 PM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 11:28:59 PM »

Ten Little Indians
Farmer's Daughter
Lonely Sea
Hawaii
Let Him Run Wild
Kiss Me Baby
Don't Talk
Let's go away for a While
Country Air
Passing By
Bluebirds Over the Mountain
All I Wanna Do
Feel Flows
Cuddle Up
Only With You
Honkin' Down the Highway
My Diane
Pitter Patter
Lady Lynda
It's a Beautiful Day
Where I Belong
Rock and Roll to the Rescue
Somewhere Near Japan
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 12:40:07 AM »

I was going to make a list, but then I realised most of it was Dennis songs, and it seems sticking up for Dennis is one way of getting a load of sh*t poured over your head around here these days...

So I'll just say I think Slip On Through really shoulda been on there.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 03:34:11 AM »

She's Goin' Bald
Little Pad
Whistle In
Mama Says
Shortenin' Bread
Ding Dang

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Nicko1234
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 03:40:04 AM »

I was going to make a list, but then I realised most of it was Dennis songs, and it seems sticking up for Dennis is one way of getting a load of sh*t poured over your head around here these days...

Not so. At all.
MBE
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 03:43:46 AM »

Dennis is awesome and always has been.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 04:21:46 AM »

1) Hot Fun in The Summertime
2) Surfin'
3) Summer of love
4) Island Fever
5) Still Surfin'
6) Slow Summer Dancin'
7) Strange Things Happen
Cool Remember "Walking In the Sand"
9) Lahaina Aloha
10) Under The Boardwalk
11) Summer In Paradise
12) Forever
13) Forever [US Mix]
14) Forever [AC Mix]
15) Forever [CHR Mix]
16) Island Fever [US Mix]
17) Strange Things Happen [US Mix]
18) Under The Boardwalk [US Mix]
19) Summer In Paradise [US Mix]
20) Summer In Paradise [Ver. 3]
21) Summer In Paradise [Live]

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 05:42:36 AM »

The Lonely Sea
Hawaii
Your Summer Dream
Keep An Eye On Summer
Girls On The Beach
We Three Kings Of Orient Are
Good To My Baby
Don't Hurt My Little Sister
Kiss Me, Baby
In The Back Of My Mind
Girl, Don't Tell Me
I'm Waiting For The Day
Let's Go Away For Awhile
Here Today
Aren't You Glad
Country Air
Wake The World
Be Here In The Morning
When A Man Needs A Woman
Slip On Through
It's About Time
Tears In The Morning
All I Wanna Do
Feel Flows
Lookin' At Tomorrow
Cuddle Up
Big Sur
Lady Lynda
It's A Beautiful Day
Somewhere Near Japan

I had to exclude Soulful Old Man Sunshine and Winter Symphony because they were still unreleased songs at the time.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 06:59:36 AM »

Nope. Seems to be the opposite case in my long tenure on this and other boards.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
zane7570
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 09:19:20 AM »

Thanks, guys! Many interesting choices. Tonight I'll probably assemble some of these and try them out as listening experiences and see how it goes.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 10:12:23 AM »

Thanks, guys! Many interesting choices. Tonight I'll probably assemble some of these and try them out as listening experiences and see how it goes.

Even mine?  Cool Guy

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
zane7570
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 11:41:07 AM »

Even mine?  Cool Guy

If I happen to get drunk tonight...very drunk...I might consider possibly thinking about attempting to make it through that mix. Maybe Wink
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 12:42:42 PM »

Seeing everyone's choices makes me realize (or re-realize) just how vast the released catalog is, and how most of it is worthy of boxed set status.  I agree with most of the choices here!  There were some that I would have mentioned as well if I had remembered.
zane7570
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »

Seeing everyone's choices makes me realize (or re-realize) just how vast the released catalog is, and how most of it is worthy of boxed set status.  I agree with most of the choices here!  There were some that I would have mentioned as well if I had remembered.

I agree. At the time I bought GV, the only complete studio album I'd heard was Pet Sounds and I thought maybe the box would be more than enough to cover all the bases and would be all the BB I'd ever need to hear. Was I wrong...

I heard the Holland tracks and decided to grab that one, since I found a used copy on cd that cost almost nothing. I loved it and then grabbed all the Capitol two-fers with all the bonus tracks and then the Brother Records two-fers. I've since gotten different remasters, compilations and boxes, etc. The only album I've yet to own is Stars and Stripes. I can't imagine that I ever will.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 02:42:36 PM »

I agree. At the time I bought GV, the only complete studio album I'd heard was Pet Sounds and I thought maybe the box would be more than enough to cover all the bases and would be all the BB I'd ever need to hear. Was I wrong...

I heard the Holland tracks and decided to grab that one, since I found a used copy on cd that cost almost nothing. I loved it and then grabbed all the Capitol two-fers with all the bonus tracks and then the Brother Records two-fers. I've since gotten different remasters, compilations and boxes, etc. The only album I've yet to own is Stars and Stripes. I can't imagine that I ever will.

Oh go on, you'll love Caroline No and Warmth of the Sun!

“We live in divisive times.”
zane7570
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »

Oh go on, you'll love Caroline No and Warmth of the Sun!

I found a couple youtube videos of those recordings....not as bad as I would have imagined. I think I'll refrain from commenting about the Tammy Wynette version of "In My Room".

I still don't think I'll run out and buy it, although there may be a better chance that I'd like it more than "Summer In Paradise".
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 05:31:55 PM »

I agree with most of the lists, so I'll spare the reposts, but I would add....

COOL COOL WATER from Sunflower--For several reasons, but mainly the "In an ocean or in a glass..." lyrics are friggin' quoted in the booklet!  See, when I first got the box, there were still numerous holes in my BB knowledge (there are still quite a few, but....whatever!).  The box was my first taste of Sunflower, so when I read those lyrics in the booklet, I was like, "where did that come from?"

STILL CRUISIN'--Ok, I know there's about as much resentment around here towards this song as KOKOMO, but hey, I kinda like it.  I know it didn't chart anywhere near KOKOMO, but it still got out there on the airwaves...for awhile.  Why not slap it on there?   
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx